Book 2 Embers of War – Chapter 43
93 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yuna took a deep breath, her heart still freshly wounded from the news of her brother's death. But she knew she needed to focus. She had to channel her grief and anger into explaining what she knows. Slowly, she began to recount the events that led up to night before.

"It's a Thurian orb," Yuna started, her voice steady despite the emotions churning within. "It's one of five that House Kaiser has in their possession. It's meant to power some kind of ancient relic weapon that Duke Osmund rebuilt."

Arlan soaked in the information as he listened intently. He now understood why Quinn was so desperate to get Yuna and the orb to safety.

The King's Blade then asked, "How did you find it?"

Now focused and unaffected by her emotions, Yuna answered back, "When the war broke out, I made sure to be assigned to my brother's unit, the Fulgor Company."

Chrysta added, "My old mentor once mentioned the Fulgor Company. He said they're an elite unit of mages who specialize in mobility spells and close-quarters lightning magic. He also said you guys undergo intense survival training."

"Correct," acknowledged Yuna and continued, "We were given special orders to destroy enemy supply convoys in House Kaiser's territory. We have been doing so for the last four months."

"We can relate," commented Marie as she thought of their own incursion into Sworan territory.

Yuna continued, "It was about three weeks ago when we heard a rumor from one of our informants. An important Kaiser convoy was coming in from the southeastern road. So we ambushed the convoy, which was more heavily guarded than usual but we managed to wipe out the escort unit. Then after, we naturally plundered the supplies. Inside the main wagon, Quinn found the Thurian orb inside a steel chest."

"Southeastern road? Strange... No one else is East of House Kaiser," pondered Marie.

Arlan corrected Marie and stated, "There is someone East of House Kaiser."

"But it's just a bunch of small villages and farmland. I don't think they have the capability to produce such an item," claimed JD confused.

"Beyond the Midland borders," answered Arlan, "The Silvan Elves of the Firane Kingdom."

Marie blinked twice and asked with conviction, "Are you insinuating that the Firane Kingdom that we are allied with has been secretly backing House Kaiser?"

With confidence, Arlan replied, "Yes I am. A while ago, the Umbras mentioned the possibility of another foreign power other than the Swora Oligarchy. I just didn't figure it would be the elves that King Richard forged an alliance with."

"Quinn had also theorized that the supply convoy was from the Firane Kingdom," added Yuna as she continued, "He decided the Thurian orb was too mysterious and cryptic. So we hid near the convoy we ambushed, waiting for the enemy's reaction force. That's when we listened closely and overheard a few Kaiser officers talking about it."

"And that's how you found out the Thurian orb's purpose?" asked JD.

Yuna nodded, "Correct. Then we hid in the Polanaar Forest, just eighteen miles southwest of Eisanyr. We contemplated carefully since House Kaiser would certainly be looking for the Thurian orb. But we had no way of knowing how the war was going, so we made contact with our informant. He mentioned the frontlines had greatly shifted east in our favor and an unused route that we could take. After scouting the area and making preparations two days prior, Quinn ordered our retreat. We took that secret route but..."

Everyone in the room felt Yuna's rage convulse within her.

But Arlan quickly quelled the rising anger, "Yuna, remember Quinn's final wish."

Several seconds had passed when the Argold mage regained control and continued, "The informant had betrayed us and we were ambushed on the path by a specialized unit with five Aspirants. Ten of our Fulgor mages sacrificed themselves so we could run. We got away and we kept running for the rest of the day with them right behind us. We were halfway when night fell."

"Wait... House Kaiser's territory is East from here. How did you end up west?" asked JD.

Yuna shrugged, "This is where it gets weird... After we ran for hours through the night, one of our mages collapsed from exhaustion. We had made enough distance to rest. During the break, one of our mages found an unmarked rift dungeon next to the path. After a short debate, we decided it was safer to take refuge inside. While hiding just beyond the entrance, we heard the enemy soldiers enter the rift dungeon as well. So we fled deeper inside."

"Where was this unmarked rift dungeon?" asked Arlan.

"I'll get to that," replied Yuna, "As we continued deeper, we came across a large cavern with a large door that was already open. Beyond the door revealed a large grassland with meadows. Strangely without a sun, a bright sky was shining overhead. We entered through without hesitation."

"A bright sky without a sun...?" uttered Chrysta under her breath.

"We couldn't believe what we were seeing," Yuna continued, her voice filled with wonder. "We had stumbled upon a unique rift dungeon, an otherworldly plane of its own, defined by its own rules. It was breathtakingly beautiful."

"But as we marveled at the sight, we knew we couldn't stay there indefinitely," Yuna said, her expression turning serious. "We needed to find a way back, to continue our mission. Quinn was determined to fulfill his duty, even if it meant facing impossible odds. The rebels figured out we were inside and gave chase."

"That's a first," stated Marie as she locked eyes with Arlan, "All known Rift Dungeons put you back at the entrance on their exit door."

Arlan nodded and asked, "Is there anything else?"

Yuna recalled her painful memories and continued, "Yes... A contingent from the special unit was already waiting for us. They knew about the rift dungeon's entrances. Ten of our Fulgor mages engaged the enemy so the rest of us could run. We told them we would get help and return but it was short-lived as the enemy Aspirants and their main unit blocked our path. So Quinn entrusted the Thurian orb to me... And he proceeded to command a final stand with the remaining Fulgor Company and bought me time to run. Then Arlan appeared and saved me. That's all I can remember. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, I remember the rest. Now get some sleep," ordered Arlan as he soaked in what he had just heard.

As Yuna lay down, her voice softly emerged, "Thank you for saving my life, General Arlan."

Before Arlan could even reply, the Argold mage had finally succumbed to her fatigue.

"JD and Marie," called out Arlan.

"Yes, General," answered both his Adjutants.

"Prepare the banner to move out in an hour," ordered Arlan, "I have an idea of where this rift dungeon could be."

"Where?" asked JD.

Arlan clued in his Adjutant Knight, "Edgar and I found Yuna just an hour west of Alafein."

 

After an hour had passed, the Banner of the Claw was formed up at Velena's west gate. It had been a while since all two-thousand soldiers had gathered. The sun had risen slightly past noon in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the assembled soldiers of the Banner of the Claw. Arlan stood at the forefront, his mithril armor gleaming in the sunlight.

His soldiers all stood at attention, their expressions were a mix of determination and anticipation. They were eager to prove their worth and perform their duties.

Arlan raised his voice, addressing the entire Banner of the Claw. "Listen up, Banner of the Claw! We're going to march to a place called Alafein, where we'll search for an undiscovered rift dungeon. We have reason to believe a powerful rebel unit has been using it to their advantage. Our goal is to find that unit and destroy them. We'll avenge the fallen Midland soldiers who were killed by this enemy unit!"

A chorus of cheers and affirmations filled the air as the soldiers brandished their weapons. The clanking of armor and the rustling of banners created a symphony of war, their united spirit fueling their determination.

As the banner began its march, the soldiers fell into formation, their footsteps echoing in unison. The sight of the formidable force commanded respect and fear from anyone who dared stand in their way.

After three hours of marching, the Banner of the Claw reached the Northwest outskirts of Alafein. The small village was nestled among the rolling hills. The villagers paused their daily activities and watched in awe as the imposing army approached.

Children ran to their parents, seeking comfort and safety in their arms. The villagers had heard tales of the legendary Banner of the Claw, and now, witnessing its might firsthand, they understood why the name struck fear into the hearts of their enemies.

While reining in Kage, Arlan scanned the surroundings, his sharp eyes taking in every detail. The village seemed peaceful and untouched by the chaos of war. The Midland Garrison was going about their daily routine. The Midland Garrison Captain made his appearance with two of his lieutenants.

Arlan dismounted from Kage and was approached by the Midland Garrison Captain, who saluted Arlan with respect. The two lieutenants followed suit, their expressions a mix of curiosity and admiration.

"Good Afternoon, General Arlan," the Midland Garrison Captain said, his voice filled with deference. "I'm Captain Kristoff of the 9th Stonemar Infantry Battalion. I wasn't informed that you would be in the area. How may we assist the Banner of the Claw?"

Arlan nodded in acknowledgment and replied, "Captain, we are on a mission to locate an undiscovered rift dungeon that we believe may be located nearby. Our intelligence suggests that a powerful rebel unit has been utilizing this dungeon to its advantage. We seek to eliminate this threat."

Captain Kristoff exchanged a quick glance with his lieutenants before responding, "We haven't come across any such rift dungeon in our patrols, General Arlan. However, we can provide you with any assistance you require. My soldiers are all at your disposal."

Arlan appreciated the offer of support and said, "Thank you, Captain. We may need your expertise in conducting thorough searches of the surrounding area. Any information or leads you can provide would be invaluable."

Captain Kristoff nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "I will assemble a team immediately and coordinate with your adjutants. My men will ensure that no stone is left unturned."

As Captain Kristoff turned to give orders to his lieutenants, Arlan noticed a young girl peeking out from behind one a wooden barrel. She seemed curious and fascinated by the presence of the Banner of the Claw. Arlan nodded at Chrysta who immediately understood what to do. Chrysta playfully made her way over to the young girl and asked kindly, "What's your name, little one?"

The girl's eyes widened, and she hesitantly replied, "L-Lucia..."

"I'm Chrysta. It's a pleasure to meet you," stated the Coldheart as she leaned over to be at eye level with the young girl and continued. "Lucia, have you seen or heard anything unusual in these parts? Anything that stands out?"

Lucia bit her lip, thinking for a moment before speaking. "Well... my friends and I have seen strange lights coming from the hills at night."

"Can you show me which hills?" asked Chrysta with a welcoming tone.

Lucia pointed to the west and continued, "Those hills. We thought it was just fireflies, but it was different, brighter. And sometimes, we hear distant noises, like animals grunting."

Arlan's interest was piqued by Lucia's words.

Chrysta patted the young girl on the head and said, "Thank you, Lucia. You've been very helpful. Take this gold coin and if you notice anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know."

Lucia nodded enthusiastically while holding the gold coin, "I will, Miss Chrysta! I want to help too!"

 

JD and Yanie directed the joint search teams which were made up of the Banner of the Claw and the 9th Stonemar Infantry Battalion. Yanie's natural talent at scouting gave JD better insight into where to direct the search areas.

As the search teams scoured the hills to the west of Alafein, the sun began to set, casting a warm orange glow over the landscape. The soldiers moved with purpose, their eyes trained for any signs of a hidden rift dungeon or enemy presence. The 9th Stonemar soldiers were impressed by the efficiency and skill of the Banner of the Claw. They followed the Banner of the Claw's lead.

JD and Yanie communicated through hand signals, coordinating the search patterns of their teams. They had divided the area into sectors, ensuring thorough coverage. JD's focus was on directing the teams, while Yanie's expertise lay in identifying tracks or anomalies.

About forty minutes west of Alafein, Yanie noticed something unusual. She crouched down, examining a strange rock. She then called over JD, her voice barely a whisper, "JD, come here. This rock gives off ambient traces of mana."

"Good job Yanie. Wait here while I send word to Arlan."

After fifteen minutes, JD and Yanie were joined by Arlan, Marie, Chrysta, Erin, Edgar, and Roderic.

"Show us what you found," instructed Arlan as his party joined JD and Yanie.

Yanie pointed to the strange rock and said, "This rock is leaking mana."

Arlan activated his [Battle Trance] and it revealed that the rock was indeed leaking faint traces of mana.

The Embercaller waltzed over and put her hand on the rock. She channeled her own mana into the rock. After a few seconds, a rumble could be heard and the rock wall next to Marie retracted into the ground. This revealed the entrance to the rift dungeon that Yuna had mentioned.

Arlan immediately sent out his first order, "JD, have all of the 9th Stonemar soldiers return to Alafein and instruct Captain Kristoff to be on alert until tomorrow morning. Bring Fiala and Mahari here."

JD saluted, "By your command!"

The orders from Arlan continued, "Edgar, Erin, and Roderic, gather your units here and take defensive positions. And Erin, send me a veteran squad of twelve from the Vanguard."

"By your command!" answered Edgar, Erin, and Roderic in unison.

"Marie, Chrysta, and Yanie," called out Arlan as he issued his last order, "Once JD returns with Fiala and Mahari, we're going in."

Arlan blew the whistle and summoned Nightingale. All thirty Umbras had been following the Banner of the Claw in a perimeter around the unit since they departed from Velena. Within a minute, Nightingale hastily appeared before Arlan.

"Master Arlan, your orders?" asked the Umbra Leader.

"You're coming with us into the Rift Dungeon," ordered Arlan.

Nightingale bowed, "By your command."

 

Only half the sun was visible and gleaming its last rays across the sky when the final preparations were finished. Arlan decided he was going into the Rift Dungeon with a smaller contingent to avoid any unnecessary risk.

The King's Blade decided on bringing JD, Mahari, and a Vanguard squad to assist him with the frontline. Then for the specialty team: Arlan chose Marie, Chrysta, Nightingale, and Yanie. Finally, Fiala was the primary healer.

With his strike team assembled, they followed Arlan into the mysterious rift dungeon.

Once inside, they found themselves in a dimly lit corridor, with walls made of smooth, black stone. The air felt heavy and charged with magic. Arlan took the lead with his blacksteel claymore at the ready as he cautiously advanced. The frontline followed directly behind while the specialty team brought up the rear with Fiala.

As they proceeded deeper into the dungeon, the corridor widened into a large chamber. The chamber was filled with an eerie, pulsating light emanating from the walls. Strange symbols and markings adorned the surfaces, giving the impression of ancient and powerful magic.

Arlan gestured for the team to halt as he examined the symbols on the walls. Marie, with her knowledge in ancient texts, stepped forward to assist. She traced her fingers over the intricate patterns, her eyes narrowing in concentration.

"These symbols seem to be the language of the old Thaumaturga, written before the cataclysm," Marie remarked. "They hold a certain resonance and mana signature. Nothing on them are warnings or trap indicators. We should be fine."

Arlan nodded, and joked, "I should've taken a class at Lancel High."

"Arlan!" called out JD from further ahead around the corner, "You need to see this."

The rest of the strike team caught up to JD and before them was the very large open door that Yuna mentioned. It truly bent the rules of space as it revealed the large grass plains and meadows. Complete with its own bright sky with no sun.

"It should be evening outside," said Chrysta awestruck, "But in here, it's almost like it's still midday."

Arlan stepped closer to the open door, his eyes scanning the surreal landscape before him. The vibrant colors of the grass and flowers bathed in the ethereal light captivated his senses. He could feel the gentle breeze brushing against his face, carrying with it the scent of wildflowers and the distant melodies of birds.

"This is... surreal," Arlan murmured, his voice filled with wonder and curiosity, "It's like stepping into a different realm altogether."

JD nodded in agreement, "This rift dungeon is unlike any other we've encountered before."

Arlan turned to the rest of the team, his expression serious. "We need to proceed with caution. This may be a beautiful place, but it's also a potential stronghold for our enemies. Keep your guard up and stay alert. We don't know what awaits us beyond this threshold."

As the strike team prepared to step through the open door, Fiala spoke up, "General Arlan is right, we cannot be fooled by the beauty."

Mahari nodded, "Fi-fi's words are wise. I smash enemy of General Arlan."

Arlan gave a quick head nod to Mahari and then led the way. The strike team stepped through the open door and into the mysterious landscape. As they emerged on the other side, the team found themselves standing on a vast, seemingly endless grassland, stretching out as far as the eye could see. The sky above was an ever-bright canopy, radiating a soft, golden light that seemed to come from nowhere.

The team fanned out, their eyes scanning the surroundings for any signs of the enemy. The gentle breeze carried whispers of movement as if the very air held secrets. Arlan motioned for the strike team to move forward, advancing cautiously through the grassland.

Venturing deeper into the rift dungeon, they came across unusual rock formations and peculiar plants that glowed with a faint luminescence. The landscape itself seemed to shift subtly, creating an otherworldly atmosphere that both intrigued and unnerved them.

After a half-hour, the strike team took a break while Nightingale scouted ahead. After ten minutes, she returned to Arlan's side. The Umbra Leader's eyes remained stoic as she spoke. "General, I've located a trail. Footprints of at least two-hundred soldiers. It seems we're on the right track."

Arlan nodded, appreciating Nightingale's keen senses. "Good work, Nightingale."

With Nightingale taking point, the strike team followed the trail, moving stealthily through the grassland. They moved swiftly and silently, their footsteps barely making a sound on the enchanted ground.

"There aren't any beasts or monsters here," commented Yanie, "I can't detect any."

Fiala joked in response, "I can't tell what's worse, ravenous monsters or murderous soldiers."

"I think I prefer fighting soldiers," admitted Chrysta, "They usually don't eat you."

Arlan chuckled softly, appreciating the lighthearted banter amidst the tension, "Let's hope we don't both at the same time then. But I agree, Chrysta. Dealing with soldiers is more familiar territory for us."

As they followed the trail, the landscape gradually transformed. The grassland gave way to a dense forest, with towering trees that seemed to stretch infinitely into the sky. The sunlight filtered through the leaves, casting a dappled pattern on the ground. The air grew thicker, filled with the earthy scent of moss and the subtle rustle of leaves.

Before entering the forest path, Arlan sent two of the Vanguard soldiers back for the rest of the Banner of the Claw. He then motioned onward.

Nightingale led the way, her senses guiding the team through the winding forest path. The footprints became more numerous, indicating that they were getting closer to their objective.

Suddenly, Nightingale halted and raised her hand to signal a stop. She crouched down, studying the bush before her intently. Arlan and the rest of the team followed behind.

"Enemy camp on the other side of the meadow," Nightingale whispered, her voice barely audible, "At least forty soldiers."

Arlan's [Battle Trance] couldn't match the range of Nightingale's instinctive tracking. But he trusted her words and he was sure the enemy would be detected on his [Battle Trance] if they had just gotten a little closer.

The King's Blade tightened his grip around his claymore as he glanced at the strike team. They shared a silent understanding, knowing that the time for stealth and reconnaissance was over. It was time to confront the enemy head-on.

Arlan spoke with a determined tone, "Marie, Chrysta, Nightingale, and Yanie, fire everything you got while we have the element of surprise. JD and Mahari take the Vanguard squad and wait for the initial barrage. Then push right fast. Fiala, stay with Chrysta. I'll take the left alone."

The strike team nodded in unison, their expressions focused and resolute. Fiala stood ready, her healing abilities ready to provide support to her comrades. Mahari clenched his fists, his muscles bulging with anticipation.

With Nightingale taking point, the specialty unit moved silently into position. Arlan got a bit closer and took a moment to survey the area with [Battle Trance], he noted there were forty-five enemy combatants who were mere second-tier orange cores and their positions. They were medium-armored swordsmen and appeared to be relaxed; they had yet to detect the presence of the Banner of the Claw.

Arlan raised his hand, and at his signal, the strike team sprang into action. Marie, Chrysta, Nightingale, and Yanie unleashed a devastating barrage of magical attacks and arrows. The enemy soldiers were caught off guard, their camp erupting into chaos as explosions and flames engulfed their positions. Twelve rebels immediately perished from the initial burst.

Taking advantage of the chaos, JD led Mahari and the Vanguard squad toward the right, their weapons at the ready. Mahari crashed into a trio of rebel swordsmen, while JD spun on four more rebel soldiers, hacking them down. The Vanguard squad easily dispatched another group of six.

Arlan, on the other hand, veered to the left, his blacksteel claymore hungering for blood. Engaging the enemy on his own, Arlan moved with deadly precision, his claymore slicing through the air with calculated strikes.

With [Automatic Parry] activated, Arlan repelled incoming blows and swiftly retaliated, dispatching another seven enemy soldiers. The symphony of battle echoed through the forest.

The remaining thirteen soldiers were easily dispatched by the strike team with a second wave of attacks. It was a one-sided slaughter. The rebels were killed before they even realized who was attacking them.

After the battle was over, Arlan issued more orders, "Nightingale, find their main camp. This was merely just an outpost. Everyone else, search the bodies and the camp. See if we can find any information. Our main force should arrive in thirty minutes."

As Nightingale departed, everyone else began scouring the camp and the bodies. Yanie's voice rang out, "I found a ledger."

The King's Blade made his way over to the elf and she handed him the ledger.

Inside the first page wrote, "Property of the Rakari." The rest of the pages were accounts payable logs dating back more than eight years.

Everyone gathered around Arlan and patiently waited for him to reveal his findings. Marie asked, "Was there anything of use in there?"

"They call themselves the Rakari," answered Arlan, "And they're mercenaries from the Free Cities of Yura."

3