Book 2 Embers of War – Chapter 44
104 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The members of the Banner of the Claw arrived at the location where the strike team had confronted and defeated the enemy outpost. As they stepped into the surreal landscape of the rift dungeon, their eyes widened in awe and wonder. The vibrant colors, the ethereal light, and the otherworldly atmosphere captivated their senses.

"By the gods, this place is incredible," exclaimed one of the Claw's soldiers, his voice filled with amazement.

Arlan smiled, "It's unlike anything we've ever seen before. Stay focused, though. We still have a mission to accomplish."

The soldiers nodded, their expressions a mix of excitement and determination. They understood the importance of their task and the potential dangers that lay ahead. They fanned out, exploring the surroundings cautiously, their eyes scanning for any signs of further enemy presence or hidden threats.

Marie, Chrysta, Nightingale, and Yanie joined the other members of the Banner of the Claw, sharing their experiences and marveling at the enchanting landscape. They exchanged stories and observations, each of them adding their own perspective to the mysterious realm they found themselves in.

Roderic approached Arlan with a look of awe and reverence on his face. "General, this place... it's beyond anything I could have imagined. The legends were right. The rift dungeons truly hold wonders and mysteries."

Arlan nodded, his eyes reflecting the same admiration. "Indeed, Roderic. It's a testament to the incredible power and craftsmanship of the ancient Thaumaturga."

As the soldiers of the Banner of the Claw continued to explore and secure the surrounding area, Arlan gathered his commanders for a brief discussion. They huddled together, their voices low and focused.

"Nightingale will return any moment now with the location of the main enemy camp," Arlan said, his tone firm, "We'll move on it as soon as she returns. Any questions?"

Edgar asked, "Yes, General Arlan. What formation will we use?"

"Standard-B or Standard-C," answered Arlan.

"Ah, the heavy Storm Riders left or heavy Storm Riders right," acknowledged Edgar.

"General, any intel on the enemy we should be aware of?" asked Erin.

Arlan confidently answered Erin, "The enemy will have five Aspirants and some kind of mana nullifying ability. We should be fine though since only Marie, Chrysta, Fiala, and I are the only ones who use magic in this unit."

The briefing only lasted another two minutes before Nightingale appeared before Arlan with news. She reported, "Master Arlan, the Rakari main camp... it's in front of a third gate."

Arlan thought out loud, "Then that's probably their plan: to launch a massive counter attack using this rift dungeon. Especially if that ancient relic weapon wipes out the Stonemar invasion force. Nightingale, how many were there?"

"Fourteen-hundred Rakari soldiers. There's seven-hundred medium infantry, three-hundred heavy infantry, two-hundred pikemen and two-hundred crossbowmen." reported the Umbra Leader.

"And the terrain?" asked Arlan.

Nightingale replied efficiently, "Flat open fields on all sides except their back. A steep mountain and the third gate is at their backs. Their camp is basic with no defenses. They really didn't expect anyone to be here. The camp is only thirty minutes away."

This just seems.... too easy? Maybe a trap? I have the Umbras to signal flare if anything comes our way though…

The King's Blade then gave out his orders, "Shift into formation Standard-C!"

Every officer and leader acknowledged Arlan's orders by shouting, "By your command!"

The last time they were at Galmora, Arlan trained the Banner of the Claw for two weeks regarding formations and maneuvers. This was their first time putting it into use as a whole army.

 

It was two hours past dusk. Deema was laying down on his cot in his luxurious tent. He was imagining food while waiting for the cooks to finish making dinner.

His mercenary unit of Rakari had been eating well since they were employed by House Kaiser two years prior. The pay was great and jobs were easy.

That is until recently... Ever since the war reached House Kaiser, Deema has seen more combat in the last two months than he has in his whole life.

He thought back to some of his men he had lost against the Fulgor Company and how much more dangerous the job was getting. Deema then pondered if it was even worth it anymore. He figured he could retire with the money he made.

"Nah... I like killing people too much," thought Demma out loud with a grin.

A Rakari Assassin Aspirant entered the lavish tent and said, "Deema, dinner is almost ready."

"About time! How long did that take them Roha? I'm fucking starving," complained Deema.

Roha responded, "They finish at the same time everyday. Do you just like to complain all the time?"

"Shut your mouth Roha and look at me," answered Deema as he got up, "I'm the Commander."

"You're only the Commander because Uncle Potha felt sorry for you," jabbed Roha as he laid down, "By the way, Duke Osmund still hasn't sent orders. So I assume we're on standby until then."

"Yep," stated Deema as he laid back down, "Just means more lazy time for us."

Before the two could get their dinner, the alarm bell started ringing. Both Roha and Deema shot up and exchanged looks.

"I'm going to skewer the fucker who is ringing that bell," cursed Roha angrily as he thought it was just a prank.

"Wait, Roha. Listen," instructed Deema.

The two brothers listened intently and aside from the alarm bell, everyone was running in the camp with voices of senior Rakari yelling instructions.

"It's not a prank or a false alarm!" yelled Deema as he grabbed his wand in disbelief.

"How the hell did the enemy find us here?!" asked Roha hypothetically as he grabbed his katar.

A Rakari soldier entered the tent and knelt while giving his report, "Commander Deema! A large enemy banner has appeared and is marching toward us at full speed. They number about two-thousand strong. We have about three minutes before they'll clash with our lines!"

Deema had an epiphany and wanted to confirm his suspicions, so he asked, "Soldier, what banners do they fly?"

"Sir, I believe it was a golden lion on the banner, House Reeve!" answered the Rakari soldier quickly.

"Shit! Get everyone into battle formation three!" ordered Deema.

"Yes, Commander!" replied the Rakari soldier as he left the tent.

"House Reeve?" echoed Roha as he brandished his katar, "Its the Banner of the Claw, isn't it?"

"Yeah, the 'Immortal Cock Mongler' we saw from last night. I should've known better that he'd find us so quickly."

"Do you think they followed us?"

"Not a chance and we'll be wiped out against them," admitted Deema, "But... the little Kaiser boy outside our gate really has it out for the 'Immortal Cock Mongler' I think."

"But Deema! Duke Osmund forbade his son to fight without his orders!" stated Roha, "We'll be skinned alive for telling him to fight with us!"

"Roha, just simply mention that the Banner of the Claw is here and the Kaiser Baron will come on his own accord. We're free of guilt! Just go now, and get him. You should be back within twenty minutes during the battle."

Without any hesitation, Roha acknowledged, "Right away Deema!"

Deema and Roha then left the tent in opposite directions. Each of them knew the inevitable battle against the Banner of the Claw could spell their destruction and death or the greatest richest the Kaiser could promise.

 

Across the field, Arlan and the Banner of the Claw were charging at the Rakari encampment. Arlan was riding Kage and was leading the Storm Riders on the right-wing, while Roderic's Hatchets took a formation on the left. Erin's Vanguard naturally stayed in the middle.

Arlan's [Battle Trance] revealed that the majority of the enemy swordsmen were second-tier white-cores. This would have been a problem but Arlan activated his Warlord's Regalia and empowered his entire army around him. This brought their average from third-tier red-core to third-tier orange-core. The Banner of the Claw also held the advantage of outnumbering the Rakari.

The ground beneath their horses thundered as the Banner of the Claw closed in on the Rakari camp. The wind whipped through Arlan's cape as he urged Kage forward, his eyes locked on the camp ahead.

The sound of galloping hooves filled the air as the Storm Riders followed closely behind, their determination evident in their loyalty.

As they neared the camp, Arlan could see the Rakari soldiers scrambling to get into proper formations. They were caught off guard by the sudden appearance of a Midland army, but their training kicked in. They organized faster than most standard armies.

Before the promise of violence, Arlan's voice projected loudly with authority and power, "Storm Riders! Hear me now! Arm yourselves with the reasons you fight! Remember your oath to bring peace to Midland! Remember your honor as cavaliers of the King's Blade! And remember your duty to protect your loved ones! Now, with oath, honor, and duty as your weapons, you will kill any who stand in our way. Especially the Rakari before us! Live forever my Storm Riders!"

The roar of three-hundred riders erupted so loudly that everyone throughout the battlefield heard the battlecry.

"Maneuver-B!" commanded Arlan with great volume and authority. The Storm Riders performed the maneuver perfectly. They split into their eight platoons, each into a wedge formation. They turned right and rode even further, preparing to outflank the Rakari's left wing.

The sound of clashing weapons and battle cries filled the air as the eight Storm Rider platoons each used [Rampage] to penetrate into Rakari lines. Of the three Rakari infantry companies deployed to the Rakari left wing, the Storm Riders had easily wiped out one Rakari company. But the remaining two Rakari infantry companies didn't falter. Instead, they rallied from the onslaught and shifted their platoons into double-rank box formations.

The enemy's fast response caught the Storm Rider's fifth platoon out of position. Resulting in deaths of twenty Storm Riders, killed in the frenzy. And with each Storm Rider platoon consisting of three squads of twelve, the fifth platoon had lost over half their unit.

The remnants of fifth platoon emerged and repositioned at the rear of the overall formation, as dictated by the Banner of the Claw's standard operating procedure.

Edgar, who was right behind Arlan, yelled out, "General! The Rakari response was faster than anyone we've ever fought!"

"Rakari leadership is more competent and well-trained than I had anticipated," admitted Arlan as he grimaced at the loss of his troops.

I made a mistake. We hold the overall advantage... But I underestimated the Rakari. They trained to deploy lethal contingencies and proper tactics. Their morale isn't easily broken and they're well coordinated. Not even the Sakrate's personal guard was this coordinated. We'll win either way but we'll suffer heavy losses if we're not careful.

"Those Rakari dogs killed half of the fifth platoon!" yelled Edgar with conviction.

"We'll need to overpower their box formations," stated Arlan as he turned and gave another command, "Storm Riders, regroup! Wedge formation!"

Every platoon followed the command immediately. They tightened their formation and combined back into a single massive wedge with Arlan and Edgar at the front. The formation turned around and prepared for another pass.

 

After the Storm Riders drew first blood on the right, Erin and his Vanguard clashed with the Rakari center. Ever since the Banner of the Claw's Vanguard grew to over twelve-hundred, they've become the largest and strongest of all units. Their essence barriers and shields formed an impenetrable phalanx.

Roderic led his Hatchets on the left wing as they ferociously swung their axes, killing the Rakari infantry indiscriminately. Well-trained shock troopers inflict the most damage in the early moments of a clash. Especially against soft targets.

Directly behind Roderic and the Hatchets, Yanie positioned her rangers to assist the left wing. Each ranger used [Triple Strafe], a Mar-Tech that splits a single arrow or bolt into three essence shots. With two-hundred rangers firing in tandem, they're volleys were made of six-hundred arrows. They rained death onto the far side of the left wing, striking the enemy units in reserve.

The combined might of the Banner of the Claw was a force to be reckoned with, and the Rakari began to show signs of faltering under the relentless assault. The Rakari mercenary army had already lost three hundred soldiers.

 

Arlan and Edgar had just stopped at the forefront of the Storm Riders. They had just finished routing the second Rakari infantry company.

Edgar raised his helmet visor and asked, "General, shall we press the advantage?"

Before answering, the King's Blade used [Battle Trance] to see any changes in the flow of battle. Unfortunately, the range was limited to only the right wing and a small edge of the center.

Then as Arlan guessed, there was a large shift from the center to the right wing. The enemy had deployed two-hundred Rakari pikemen to guard the center's flank against the Midland cavalry.

Satisfied with the information ascertained, Arlan answered, "Edgar, take command of the Storm Riders."

"Take command?" asked Edgar who was confused, "And what about you, General?

"I'm going to look for their commander and kill him," stated Arlan with conviction, "Since we've already won the right wing, I want you to lead the Storm Riders to mop up the last Rakari infantry company here. Then follow my wake to assist the Vanguard in the center."

"By your command."

"I trust you'll handle this just fine."

Edgar smiled, "I will 'Bone Apple Tea' the enemy, General."

 Arlan let out a small laugh and said, "Really Edgar? That's not-"

"Storm Riders!" shouted Edgar as he pretended not to hear Arlan, "With me!"

As they were ordered to, the Storm Riders all rallied behind Edgar and they raced off without Arlan.

I should stop saying phrases or words from my old world.

The King's Blade let out a sigh and then stroked his dark stygian's mane.

Arlan leaned in and whispered, "Kage, now more than ever... I need you to push beyond your limits. Please carry me through this."

The charcoal beast understood and neighed as if it had said yes to Arlan's request. The two turned left toward the Rakari pikemen and burst forth by themselves. With only forty meters between Arlan and the wall of pikes, the King's Blade aimed his left palm at the enemy before him. Miniature tornado gusts erupted forth and knocked down the Rakari pikemen.

It was [Typhoon], a third-tier wind spell. Spears and pikes were only effective against mounted combatants if the weapons were couched into the ground. The aftermath of the spell created a pathway through.

Arlan activated [Undying Zeal] and charged through the pikemen while gracefully swinging his claymore like it weighed nothing. The lone rider effortlessly killed multiple enemy soldiers with each swing.

Edgar looked over from his peripheral as Arlan disappeared into the sea of Rakari. Even after Arlan was no longer visible, Edgar could see the wake of Rakari soldiers and body parts exploding into the air.

The Storm Rider Commander smiled and uttered under his breath, "The General is a fucking mad man... And I love it."

 

Meanwhile, on the opposite end, Roderic and his Hatchets were locked into a stalemate. Deema had sent the Rakari's heavy infantry battalion who were third-tier orange-cores. While matching the Hatchets in core strength, the heavy armor was also a counter to Midland shock troopers.

The heavy infantry's arrival caused the Hatchets to lose an entire platoon of thirty soldiers. Now the Rakari on the left wing had the remaining hundred swordsmen and the newly arrived three-hundred heavy infantry.

Roderic struggled to cleave the heavily armored Rakari soldier before him as his attacks glanced away. A nearby Hatchet platoon leader yelled out, "Sarge! I just lost a squad to these armored bastards!"

Another nearby struggling Hatchet added, "The armor is too thick for our hand axes! I can't kill them!"

After cursing under his breath, Roderic slammed his hand-axes into his opponent's helmet with such force that the helmet was crushed. The Hatchet Commander caught his breath for a second and wiped the blood from his face.

He looked around one last time to reconfirm his decision. It was no longer a stalemate as the battle on the left had cascaded in favor of the Rakari heavy infantry. Now confident in his choice, Roderic blew his warhorn and sounded a retreat.

 

JD, Chrysta, and Marie were assisting Dimitri's 2nd Battalion at the center's left when they heard Roderic's warhorn go off.

The Tempest Knight pulled his mithril longswords from a dead Rakari soldier and yelled out, "Roderic is retreating!? The left wing will collapse if the enemy gets to Yanie and her rangers!"

At only five meters behind JD, Chrysta had just finished unleashing [Nixstorm] on a trio of Rakari swordsmen. The Coldheart now concerned, yelled out her thoughts, "But we can't shift the Vanguard just yet! Erin and Lem are just now gaining the upper hand over the center!"

Dimitri cut down two Rakari soldiers from behind and dashed next to JD. His voice rang out, "These guys are much stronger than they seem. My battalion can't leave our position here but I can divert the two reserve platoons from the rear. We'll just pray to Numen we won't need them here."

Marie unleashed [Inferno Hand] toward three Rakari soldiers before her, incinerating them into a pile of ashes. The Embercaller calmly said, "I'll go and lead Dimitri's two platoons to the left wing."

Chrysta volunteered herself as well, "I'll go, too. JD, your presence within the Vanguard is crucial here. The men look up to you."

As the fighting around them intensified, JD agreed and grabbed Chrysta's arm before she left. His eyes locked with hers and he told her, "Don't do anything that'll get yourself killed."

"Of course not. I'll be with Marie and you know how strong she is now."

JD knew she was right but it didn't alleviate his worries. Still, there was no time to argue. So he simply nodded and let go. The Tempest Knight returned to assist Dimitri with the Rakari infantry before them.

 

Behind the Banner of the Claw's left wing, Yanie was busy ordering volleys from her rangers. They were positioned just fifty meters behind the Hatchets. After they had just fired off another barrage into the sky, Roderic's warhorn reverberated throughout the battlefield.

"What the hell?" uttered Yanie under her breath.

The Silvan elf scanned the battle before her and couldn't tell what was happening. But the Hatchets were slowly retreating by having each platoon leapfrog back. Since Yanie hadn't received any orders, she continued her unit's volleys.

After a minute had passed, a Hatchet appeared before Yanie and saluted to give his report, "Cadet Officer Yanie, I carry a message from Sergeant Roderic."

Yanie folded her arms and said, "Go on."

"Sergeant Roderic requests for you to fire directly at the enemy after the Hatchets have retreated past your unit."

After contemplating why, Yanie understood Roderic's request and answered, "Inform your commander that we'll cover their retreat."

The Hatchet acknowledged Yanie's answer and quickly returned to the front. Yanie turned to her rangers and yelled her orders loudly, "Rangers! Shift formations to fire directly!"

All the rangers in the front row knelt so the second row could fire as well. They were prepared to unleash a concentrated swarm of arrows directly to the front.

As the Hatchets continued their retreat, the Rakari heavy infantry pursued them, confident in their advantage. Falling back had also come at a cost as another platoon of Hatchets were killed during the retreat.

The Hatchets had suffered losses before when they fought under Count Emile, but this is the first time they've suffered so many casualties since fighting under Arlan.

Roderic had just finished killing two more Rakari heavy infantry when he felt his injuries start to get to him. Even while wearing steel chainmail, the pain was still heavy. With a moment to catch his breath, he looked around and estimated that at least sixty of his Hatchets had been killed and about forty more had been wounded.

While standing as the rear-guard for his men, the Hatchet Commander activated [Blood Fury]. This allowed him to fight without losing any stamina and ignore pain. Due to the loss of his men, his pent up anger was amplified from the Mar-Tech. Roderic channeled his hatred into every fiber of his body so he could swing his axes even harder.

The blades on the axes were so dull that the furious man even questioned if they had just become maces instead. Roderic's eyes were bloodshot red which instilled fear into the enemy before him.

The powerful grip on his hand axes were fueled by an unwavering will. And with the love for his men coursing within, he continued to smash into any heavy who challenged him. One after another, the Rakari heavies would die to the kinetic force that reverberated into their chest cavities or their heads popped inside the crushed helmets. 

While covered in the blood of the Rakari, Roderic was nearing the end of his [Blood Fury]. Knowing this, he stole a glance behind him and saw the last Hatchet platoon had just retreated beyond Yanie and her rangers.

Roderic then started to retreat himself toward the Silvan rangers who were only sixty meters away. There were still two-hundred Rakari heavy infantry who gave chase after Roderic.

Upon reaching halfway, [Blood Fury] ended and Roderic suffered all the recoil and pain at once. The burly veteran dropped to his knees while vomiting blood. His muscles spasmed like he had pulled them all at once, causing him to drop onto the pool of his blood.

He had never pushed his body beyond such limits. He accepted that this was finally when he punched his ticket. That he would probably die here as the Rakari heavies closed in on him.

 

Yanie saw everything and wanted to run out to Roderic but knew that she wouldn't be able to save him like that. So she ordered her rangers to fire [Triple Strafe] over his body at the encroaching Rakari forces.The Silvan rangers swiftly obeyed Yanie's command, drawing their bows and firing arrows that shotgunned into three arrows.

The air was filled with the whistling of needles as they soared directly at the Rakari heavies, finding their marks. The arrows weren't killing the heavy infantry due to their thick armor and shields. But it did suppress them enough that it stopped their advance.

Although this was only a temporary solution. If the Silvan rangers had run out of arrows, or the enemy had some kind of Mar-Tech that allowed them to close the distance, Yanie and her rangers could easily be wiped out. After each ranger had fired at least seven shots, they were down to their last ten arrows each.

Yanie panicked and realized she had no choice. She sprinted toward the unconscious Roderic with her shortsword drawn, even with all the arrows flying all around her. None of the rangers dared to shoot their bow when she crossed their line of fire but they knew they had to keep the arrows going when she wasn't in their lane.

Finally reaching Roderic, Yanie checked if he was still alive but two Rakari heavies had just managed to get close.

The Silvan elf stood up into a defensive posture, ready to fight for her friend. But she knew she wouldn't be able to handle their attacks. Roderic opened his eyes just enough to see Yanie's perky butt just above him. He wondered if he had died already and was in the Great Caelum before falling unconscious again.

As the two heavies were about to strike down the Silvan elf, they were hit by a high-tier flame spell and incinerated into a pile of ashes and melted armor. Yanie blinked twice in disbelief while slumping to her knees and uttered, "Eh?"

It was Marie's [Inferno Hand]. The Embercaller had just arrived in range. Right behind her was The Coldheart, with a spell already pre-channeled in her right hand. After a few steps so she was in range, Chrysta sent her ice wall spell. It created twenty meters of hardened ice between Yanie and the Rakari heavies.

Yanie's rangers stopped firing their arrows and a ranger squad volunteered to run forth to get their commander. The Rakari heavies wasted no time and reformed behind the wall.

Following both the mages closely were a hundred elite infantry from the Vanguard. They evenly split to defend both sides of the ice wall. When Marie and Chrysta got to Roderic, Chrysta hastily asked, "Yanie, are you hurt?"

"N-No... I'm not but Roderic is!" answered Yanie who was on the verge of crying.

Marie examined Roderic while Chrysta replied to Yanie, "I'm so glad you're not hurt! Yanie, we'll take it from here."

Yanie nodded as the squad of her rangers arrived. Marie was already using her basic heal spell on Roderic to do what she could for him. But it wasn't enough.

The Embercaller and the Coldheart only had a single basic heal spell that wasn't potent for these kinds of moments. They needed a specialized healer like Fiala.

Marie pointed to the elven ranger who was the squad leader and said, "Ranger! Your squad is to escort your commander and Sergeant Roderic back to your unit.

Have four of your men carry Roderic, he's heavy. Then find our cleric, Fiala. She should be behind your ranger unit healing the injured Hatchets already."

"Orders received, Baroness Marie!" answered the elven ranger, "Team one and two, with me. Team three, carry the Senior Sergeant back!"

"By your command!" barked the squad of Silvan rangers as they followed orders. Four rangers did as expected and carried Roderic while following the others back to the ranger unit.

"Now to the problem at hand," stated Marie as she readied her staff, "The enemy force here still numbers at least three-hundred and fifty, they'll break through if we don't get them to stay on us."

Chrysta nodded, "But even if we do get their attention, we only brought the two platoons from Dimitri's battalion. We're outnumbered three to one."

"I know..." acknowledged Marie.

The Coldheart's mind then produced a plan that she never thought possible, and asked, "If I funnel them to you... Do you think you can kill them?"

"Yes but..." answered Marie confused, "How are you going to do that?"

"I'm going to use all of my mana to conjure a frost wall that the enemy would have to funnel into a choke point. And I'm going to elevate you on an 'ice tower' that will give you the height advantage you need," explained Chrysta with confidence.

Marie slammed her palm into her forehead and let out a laugh, "I... I don't think I've ever heard of a more whacky plan."

"You don't think it'll work?"

"No-no-no... It's not that, I think it'll work. But a bit of Arlan's crazy ideas are rubbing off on you."

Chrysta's face lit up with excitement and said, "I'll inform the two platoon leaders to position before me."

After a minute of preparation, the two platoons positioned awkwardly on top of each other, covering less ground. The enemy was confused but pressed forth anyway. Chrysta walked out front of the Vanguard platoons. While holding her staff in her right hand, the Coldheart used her left palm to channel large amounts of mana into the orb at the tip of her staff.

The Coldheart had never unleashed such a large amount of mana before. And after six seconds Chrysta slammed the bottom of her staff into the ground before her. She had cast her ice wall but she had poured all of her mana into the size parameter of the spell. With her mind, she pictured the layout she wanted and let it flow through into her mana.

Everyone was shocked when two ten meter frost pillars emerged on both sides of the two Vanguard platoons. Then they both shot a six meter thick ice wall out diagonally to both sides for a hundred meters.

Next, both ice walls sharply turned inward toward each other and met in the middle. Forming a large ice triangle prison. With the only exit being guarded by the two vanguard platoons.

Marie was on the left pillar, amazed at what Chrysta had just created. The Embercaller's could now easily lob mortars of fireballs anywhere inside the ice triangle. From ear to ear, Marie grinned.

"Marie! Can you hear me?" yelled out Chrysta from below.

The Embercaller shouted back down, "Yes! This is incredible!"

"Listen!" yelled back Chrysta, "My mana can only hold this for ten minutes! Do your best within that time limit! Two Vanguard platoons will defend me down here."

The entire Rakari force in front of Chrysta and Marie looked around scared and puzzled but pushed toward Chrysta as predicted. The funnel was now working.

Marie channeled a [Trueflame] in each hand and sent them across the field, incinerating two whole squads of Rakari heavies. One of the closer Rakari medium infantry platoons engaged the Vanguard below who naturally held the superior fighting strength. The Banner of the Claw soldiers easily held their ground since they only had to worry about their front.

The Embercaller felt like she was on a stage before the gods as she chose who would die below her. One by one, Rakari squads exploded or incinerated to death. The enemy now figured their only chance was to go all out below but that also worked to their disadvantage as Marie's spells worked best when they were clumped.

It was now turned into a one sided slaughter in favor of the Banner of the Claw.

 

Back at the center with Arlan, he was making his way through the enemy backline while easily cutting down squads of Rakari soldiers. He swung his blacksteel claymore with his right hand while unleashing [Arc Flare] from his left hand.

Roderic's warhorn then rang through the air, causing Arlan to pause and look toward the left. While he was surrounded and he effortlessly parried the constant attacks around him with [Automatic Parry].

That's Roderic's warhorn. The Rakari heavy infantry must've been too much for the Hatchets. I was hoping to find them here but I guess not. With how I've trained my officers, they should be able to help Roderic respond. If I don't find the enemy commander, we may lose here and get overrun. The Rakari have deployed their troops so they could extend the battle. And with the gate behind them, it means they're stalling for reinforcements. I just need to finish off the Rakari before the next unit arrives.

The King's Blade turned back toward the front and continued through the enemy ranks, even reaching the crossbowmen who tried to fire on Arlan, only to have his extended mana barrier redirect the bolts to the sides.

They didn't even reach Arlan's essence barrier. By now, Arlan had killed over a hundred enemy soldiers by himself. But the enemy commander hadn't shown himself.

Of course he wouldn't show himself to me. He's likely aware of my capabilities.

The King's Blade continued on until his [Battle Trance] detected a sixth-tier red-core that was surrounded by three fourth-tier orange cores.

Aspirants as well? Must be. This may make things more difficult.

With Arlan's growth, he had grown to a sixth-tier white core. But with [Undying Zeal] activated, he was empowered to a seventh-tier white-core. On top of his monstrous capacity, the mithril armor he wore was about forty percent stronger than his blacksteel armor and was enchanted to greatly reduce magical damage. Arlan was starting to live up to his title, the Immortal General.

After cutting down over forty crossbowmen, Arlan broke through and was met by the four Aspirants. From left to right, it was a Gladiator, Priest, Beastmaster, and the Archmage in green robes. Arlan then dismounted Kage and waltzed up to the group before him.

A well balanced party. I've never met a Beastmaster. And that Archmage is likely the commander.

The Archmage in green robes was Deema who started barking out orders and anxiously looked behind him for signs of the reinforcements if they had come earlier than he predicted. The Gladiator, Priest, and Beastmaster started to prepare for battle.

Behind the Rakari Aspirants were fifty third-tier white-core swordsmen. They were inconsequential ants to the Immortal General. Who figured there wasn't much more time left before the enemy reinforcements would arrive.

"Arlan Reeve, right?" asked Deema as he tried to stall for time.

"Yes, I'm going to kill you," answered Arlan.

Deema shrugged, "Why the hurry-"

The Rakari Commander was interrupted mid-sentence by the Gladiator who dashed right in front of Deema.

"What the-'' uttered Deema as he realized the Gladiator had just intercepted an attack. Arlan was just on the other side.

All of the Rakari felt something was off... Fear overtook the Rakari Aspirants when they saw blood had started to stream down the Gladiator's back.

Half the Gladiator's body slid down from the neck diagonally. The other half dropped the opposite direction. Arlan had cleaved the Gladiator in two without as much as a proper fight.

The Immortal General grinned through his helmet and raised his blacksteel claymore once more. The Priest was horrified while the Beastmaster shifted into a werebear twice the size of Arlan.

The werebear had steel-like hide properties and swung both claws vertically into Arlan. But as the attack didn't strike true, the werebear cried out in pain as both his claws flew off his arms. The werebear fell over on its back crying in pain as it shifted back into its human form without anything beyond both of his elbows.

After seeing what happened to the Beastmaster only meters from him, the Priest was still horrified. Using the moment when Arlan was focused on the Beastmaster, the Aspirant Priest ran for his life toward the gate. But froze when he felt a cold sweat drip down his neck. Someone had a deathly gaze locked on to him.

As the Priest turned around, he saw a large black blur flying toward him. He was confused as the black blur flew past him, he started to fall to the ground but his legs somehow fell the opposite direction. The Priest then thought of how blessed his life had been and that the grass actually felt quite nice.

Deema saw Arlan without his weapon and used the opportunity to unleash a sixth-tier lightning spell, [God's Smite]. It was the strongest spell that the Archmage knew. From Deema's wand, a large amount of pure mana manifested into a perfect ray of lightning. Instantly striking Arlan as an explosion of pure mana shot out.

The Rakari swordsmen behind Deema were going to assist their commander but a deep fear overtook their will to fight. They saw Arlan when the smoke had dissipated. He was merely scratched by the spell. Silence befell the area except for the still screaming Beastmaster.

Deema couldn't remember the last time that he genuinely feared for his life. He thought of Roha and what was taking him such a long time. The fifty Raqari swordsmen started to run but right as they did, they began to mutate into the same beasts that overtook the Beaumont banner and Roy Vanders.

Figures. Mutations with them as well.

The beast all lunged at Arlan, attacking him like ravenous monsters. Some that couldn't get through, jumped next to the wailing Beastmaster instead and clawed him into pieces with their bone scythes. Mutated Rakari soldiers that did make it to Arlan were cut down with a single swing of his blacksteel claymore.

Arlan swung back and forth, killing the mutated beasts with ease. Deema casted [Mana Silence] on Arlan which disabled the usage of any mana within the area and used the chance to run.

This was the same nullification spell used on the Fulgor Company. Somehow, Deema wasn't transformed on retreating. He was only about fifty meters to the actual gate to the third entrance.

For just a few moments, he thought he got away but as he heard the sounds of the beasts fade into nothing. He turned and pumped all of his mana into a single mana-barrier and blocked only most of the claymore.

A tip of the claymore broke through and cut Deema's left hand off. The Archmage cried out in pain as he fell on his back like his comrades earlier.

Arlan stood over Deema with his claymore and the Archmage was horrified at Arlan's red demonic eyes flowing through the visor. The Immortal General brought down his weapon and struck the ground. Deema was no longer below him.

What the fuck? Where’d he go?

"It's been awhile... Arlan."

That voice!

Arlan looked up and saw a familiar face that he despised. It was Baron Luther Kaiser in his mithril armor, using a gravity spell to hold Deema mid-air. Memories of Iris and the Tetrasan Tournament quickly flashed by for a moment but Arlan's rage overtook his memories. [Battle Trance] scanned Luther's core and was sending out a warning to Arlan's mind that he had never seen before.

How is this possible? There has to be a mistake with my [Battle Trance]!

Luther Kaiser was now an eighth-tier red-core.

"Oh have I've longed for this moment," smiled Luther Kaiser deviously, "Ever since I've gained some new 'powers' you see."

"You're still just trash-"

Arlan's words were interrupted by Luther's gravity spell forcing him to his knees, even with all of his new strength and magic resistance. A massive spike of pain pulled into Arlan's body.

I-I CAN'T MOVE! MY-MY HEAD!

"What? What was that? You didn't finish," mocked Luther. Behind the Kaiser Baron was his army of three-thousand of the elite House Kaiser soldiers. But they didn't step into the plains, they stayed behind the gate.

"How is Iris? Oh... Wait! You killed her, remember?" Luther lavished in the moment to mock Arlan, "Well.. you didn't have to fight her you know. I could've just rescinded House Hawkwell's oath to House Kaiser."

You son of a bitch! Iris didn't deserve that!

Even through the powerful gravity spell Arlan managed a few words, "Fuck... You... Bitch."

"My that's no way to talk to someone who's stronger than you," replied Luthor with a sinister tone as he intensified the gravity spell.

Arlan dropped his claymore and felt the bones in both of his legs snap.

Am I going... to die?

"But you know..." continued Luther, "The only reason I kept Iris as my betrothed was so I could ravage that body of hers and take that delicious first time..."

What...?

"...When she gave herself to me like that before the war, I had no other choice but to take it. You'd understand, right?"

It was at that moment, Arlan lost all reasonable thought and his rage overtook his mind. Dark essence began to flow within Arlan and emanated toward the mithril armor. 

Even with both legs broken, Arlan's will mindlessly forced himself out of the gravity hold step after step. Luther saw this and casted another [Gravity Well] in front of Arlan. But this also had no effect in slowing down the Immortal General.

"What the hell are you?" asked Luther.

Through Arlan's helmet visor, Luther saw red demonic eyes gaze upon him intently. Arlan then lunged out at Luther with his bare hands. But the Kaiser Baron had used [Gravity Reversal] to dodge the attack and was now standing on the gate itself horizontally with Deema in tow.

"Somethings not right with him," shouted Luther, "You, attack him with your squad."

Twelve Kaiser Elites obeyed and charged at Arlan with their warhammers. But Arlan's demonic strength smashed his arms through their weapons and armor effortlessly. He ripped out intestines, hearts, and lungs alike.

A Kaiser soldier's voice rang out, "Mi'lord, your father has ordered you to retreat."

"Damn that old man," cursed Luther, "Alright, close the gate and seal it. I retrieved his beloved mercenary and I had my fun."

Arlan had just grabbed onto the last two Kaiser Elites in each hand and crushed their skulls when he noticed Luther was closing the door.

Luther canceled his [Gravity Reversal] and waved goodbye as the door closed completely. The wild beast that was Arlan started punching at the gate even when he broke both of his arms doing so.

After a minute of behaving wildly, Arlan's [Undying Zeal] deactivated and he collapsed unconscious at the gate. His shadowy essence dissipated. Arlan had cried both tears and blood throughout this encounter with Luther.

 

Back at the center, the Banner of the Claw's Vanguard had just wiped out the last Rakari soldier with the assistance of the Storm Riders. Edgar led them through the center after demolishing the enemy right-wing.

Erin, Lem, Dimitri, JD, and Edgar then pushed their way to the left-wing and saw that Marie and Chrysta had just finished the last Rakari soldier on their side as well.

Marie was concerned and asked, "Edgar, where's Arlan?"

"I thought he came over here?" answered Edgar confused.

"He never did," said Chrysta.

"We have to find him! Now!" yelled JD.

An Umbra appeared before the group and reported, "You must hurry, Arlan is badly hurt at the gate. Nightingale found him there unconscious only just moments ago."

"Edgar, send for Fiala, quickly," ordered JD, "The rest of us will meet you there."

 

The Banner of the Claw and its officers arrived at the gate to witness the gruesome scene before them. The mangled Rakari and Kaiser bodies that Arlan had left in his wake.

A few Umbras stood guard around the area while Nightingale held Arlan next to Kage. She had already administered what potions she had. And Kage laid next to Arlan and Nightingale.

Marie, Chrysta, and JD ran up to their fallen General followed by Erin, Lem, and Dimitri. When they got close enough, they saw the tears in Nightingale's eyes. Even though she had never shown any emotions to anyone but Arlan.

"Nighty... Please tell me he's alive," said Marie calmly.

"He is," answered Nightingale in her monotone voice, despite her tears.

Chrysta cried as she saw Arlan's bent legs, "His... his legs. They're.... Broken."

"And... his arms," added JD as he started to cry as well.

The rest of the Banner of the Claw started to follow suit with silence and tears.

"Coming through!" yelled Edgar as he galloped at full speed with Fiala on his horse as well, "Let me through!"

As they got close enough, Fiala swung off Edgar's horse and rolled on her side. Despite the pain and clumsy mistake, she ignored it and started to cast her healing spells where they could.

"He's dying," stated Fiala as she continued her best, "I'm not sure if I can save him."

"Fiala, you have to!" demanded Marie, "Oh so help me Numen that if you don't, I'm going to... I'm going to-"

JD put his hand on Marie's shoulder and said, "Stop it, Marie, you're making it worse."

"Trust me, Marie!" cried Fiala as she channeled heal spell after heal spell,  "I want to save him just as much as everyone else here!"

Marie apologized, "I'm sorry, Fiala,"

Chrysta held Marie closely and said, "He'll make it. I know he will."

"I did all I could," stated Fiala as she finished her last heal, "Whether or not he'll come back to us, it's up to him."

 

On the 26th Day of the 11th Month, 1243 Mundeas, the Banner of the Claw had successfully destroyed the renown mercenary company known as the Rakari Army.

Did you enjoy this chapter?
  • Yes Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 3
2