016 Kara
1k 4 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After hearing Augrun’s quick explanation of the supposed misunderstanding, the hostility in the young man’s gaze receded but not entirely. There were still traces of suspicions and animosity in his eyes. “You say the two girls behind you are the friends of this Beastfolk girl?” asked the young man, dubiously, as he glimpsed over Augrun’s shoulder at Rynn and Iora.

Augrun nodded.

“Those two human girls are friends with a Beastfolk girl?”

“Oh, right. I forgot about that. Those two aren’t actually humans,” Augrun said.

The young man raised an eyebrow. “They’re not?”

Augrun beckoned for Iora and Rynn to come forward, which they did. He then asked Sera to dispel the magic on them, revealing their real appearances for all to see. There was a lot of gasping from the crowd and most of all, the young man was staring at Rynn and Iora with widened eyes.

“As you can see, they are both Demis. They were slaves but not anymore. They are now my women, my brides.”

The crowd began muttering and gossiping like they always did. Rynn was blushing deeply. Iora was acting all fed-up but she could not completely hide the blush that had crept up to her cheeks.

The young man frowned with disgust. “You bought slaves and turned them into your mistresses? Have you no shame or any sense of modesty at all?”

“Watch your mouth, sir,” Sera warned. “Any slanders or insults towards my master shall not be tolerated.”

“Slander? How is any of what I said slander?!” the young man baulked.

“Sir?” Auburn blurted out. “He’s a knight?”

“I reckon he is. That’s the attire of a knight,” Sera answered.

“Oh.” Augrun realised just how wrong his perception had been. He kept thinking a knight would be someone in shining full-body armour and wandering around on the back of a gaudily ornate destrier. The person in front of him did not look like the knights from the typical fantasy fiction at all. “Are you, by chance, Sir Javon Greenwood?”

“That is indeed me,” Javon answered. “How do you know me?”

“As you might have already figured it out, I am a noble of sorts, just not a noble of this country. I have ways to get the information I want and I heard a certain Sir Javon Greenwood was accommodating a beastfolk girl that matches the appearance of the friend of my two women here.”

“If that’s the case… then you should already know that the beastfolk girl has amnesia. There’s no way I can verify the truth from you or her.”

“Who knows? Maybe her memories will return if she saw her friends.”

“If you aren’t lying that is. But I’m afraid I can’t take that chance. No offence, m’lord, but you and your party are very suspicious. And you and this maid of yours, in particular, are very dangerous.”

“Am I?”

“You’re a noble but you travel around with your women and without guards. I reckon this is not arrogance but confidence. Your maid is capable of such a convoluted disguise magic and there’s also the matter of this black hair lady here.” 

Amara twitched but Augrun patted her shoulder to calm her down.

“This makes you people incredibly dangerous. I can’t expose Kara to dangerous people like you.”

“Kara? You know her name?”

“That’s the only thing she remembers about herself Now please, if you will, please leave this town.”

“That’s absurd!” Iora shouted. “You’re kicking us out just because you’re insecure about your abilities to protect the town?”

If Javon was piqued by Iora’s remark, he did not show it. “Insecure or not, the town’s safety before everything else.”

“I don’t see you kicking that Brandon person out,” Iora snarled. “I’m sure he has already caused a great deal of trouble but he’s still here.”

The townsfolk were nodding their heads and agreeing with Iora’s words.

“She has a point, sir,” Augrun said. “You’re kicking us out on the grounds of mere suspicions of us being dangerous but Brandon is without a doubt a dangerous man and also a troublemaker. So, what’s going on? Is there some backdoor deal that no one’s aware of?”

Javon’s brows were raised as his anger flared. He drew his sword and the guards behind him followed suit. “You dare accuse me of taking bribes?!”

The townsfolk began backing away from them. Some were already leaving the scene, afraid of being caught in the scuffle that might break out at any given moment.

“I was just implying, not accusing but it seems you did that to yourself.”

“You nobles are just so arrogant and hateful no matter where you’re from…” Javon spat. “But I will not sink to your level. This is your last chance, leave this town now on your own accord or we will have to resort to violence”

Augrun chuckled. “If you truly think we’re that dangerous, do you think using violence will bring about the desirable result?”

“Leave, now.”

Augrun manifested a sword into his hand. “Now you’re just abusing your power. We have done nothing wrong and you are just a knight, not the lord of this town.”

“His sister is the wife of this town’s lord,” Sera said. “He doesn’t have direct power but with his sister as the lady of the town, he wouldn’t be punished too harshly even if he abused his power.”

“Ah, of course. Nepotism.”

“I said, leave, now.”

Augrun scoffed. “Let’s just get down to violence. Things will go faster that way.”

“Calm yourselves, gentlemen,” said a soft but firm voice from behind them. 

Augrun glanced behind him and found a lady in a wheelchair being pushed by a maid toward them. The lady had long light blue hair that reached her waist. She was dressed in a plain blue gown that went well with her hair along with a green scarf around her shoulders. She looked to be around the age of Sera but older. She had a very gentle look about her and her eyes seemed to be filled with empathy and wisdom. Her long pointy furry ears and the scars around her face and neck told Augrun enough about her identity.

“Kara!” Rynn cried and ran towards the lady in the wheelchair. 

Iora was slower to respond but at Rynn’s shout, she regained her senses and ran towards Kara too. However, a guard stood in between the two and Kara with his sword and his Flintlock-like revolver drawn.

Iora stepped in front of Rynn but Augrun had stepped in front of her in return.

“Kara, what are you doing here?” asked Javon. “It’s not safe for you here.”

“I was just passing by, Sir Javon. And then I heard your voice from the gathering crowd. I got curious.”

“Regardless, you have to leave, Kara. These people are dangerous.”

“We’re not dangerous!” Rynn baulked with a shout. “Kara, it’s me, Rynn, and Iora. You remember us, right?”

“I-I’m sorry…” Kara said with a sorrowful smile. “I do not remember but I do feel a connection with the two of you. I feel like I should know you but I don’t.”

“Kara, don’t be absurd,” Javon interrupted. “You are a slave. These people are most likely here to bring you back. Don’t fall for their tricks.”

Augrun stared wordlessly at the young knight in disbelief. Augrun couldn’t believe he had the audacity to fabricate a shame of a scenario on the fly with so many witnesses around. 

“Kara, we’re not here to take you back to the auction. We’re here to save you,” Iora said.

“Save her?” Javon scoffed. “Where were you all when she needed saving the most? You dare call yourselves her friends?”

“We were still in the chains of slaves,” Iora answered with full conviction. “If Augrun here did not purchase me, we would still be in those chains and would never know the fate of our friend. You do not know about your past or story, sir. So don’t go assuming a story for us just to salvage your hurt ego.”

“My hurt ego?”

Iora didn’t entertain the knight further and walked toward Kara. She exchanged nods with Augrun as she walked past him. The guard raised his revolver and aimed it at Iora.

Perhaps due to his past experience with firearms, Augrun was a little uneasy seeing a gun being pointed at his woman. But he knew Iora was more than capable of handling herself against that guard.

“Move out of the way,” Iora said.

The guard did not move but instead cock his gun.

In a blink of an eye, she snatched the gun right off the guard’s hand and snapped it into half with her bare hands.

The guard could do nothing but simply stared in amazement over her speed and strength. The moment regained his composure, the guard lunged at Iora with his short sword. She grabbed the blade and easily yanked the sword out of the guard’s grip. She then shoved the guard aside. With her strength, the guard fell dramatically to the ground.

“How dare you!” Javon roared and charged at Augrun and his companions.

Augrun deflected a thrust from the young knight. A slash came for his neck but he easily dodged that slash. Javon clicked his tongue and tossed himself at Augrun, who simply stepped away and stuck his foot out, tripping the young knight to the ground. 

The rest of the guards also attacked but a snarl from Amara kept them at bay. Even though Amara did not reveal her true form, the guards could feel the minacious aura she was exuding.

“I’m sorry about this, Kara, but I hope you’ll forgive me later,” Iora said and took Kara into her arms, cradling her.

Kara did not struggle as Iora took her but that didn’t mean that she consented to this. She was merely too shocked by the development to react appropriately. 

“Stop that Ogre!” Javon yelled as he was getting up but Augrun kept him down by stepping on his back.

“Stay down,” Augrun said.

“Damn you! You tell your bitch to let her go right this instant!”

Augrun sighed and kicked him in the face. Blood was spilt and teeth came flying out. He kicked Javon again and caused more teeth to fly out. He wanted to kick him again but they had already gotten what they came for. His women quickly rallied to him as black mist appeared around them and swallowed them. When the mist dispersed, they were gone.

“Nooo!!” Javon cried out. “Kara!”

The guards were looking around, confused. They could not understand what just happened.

Lucia amongst the audience, having retreated into the crowd when the circumstances were escalating. She had wanted to run but curiosity got the better of her and now that she had seen everything from start to finish, she was utterly convinced that they were not people anyone should mess with but her husband had done just that. Remembering Augrun’s threat, she shuddered in fear as she thought about her bleak future.

****

The Demon servants were going about their usual chores and tasks in the servant’s quarters when a portal suddenly opened right in the middle of the room. They immediately dropped what they were doing and assumed their combat stance. However, they loosened their stance when the portal spat out their one and only Prince along with his consorts and a female human they were not familiar with.

The transition was rougher than Augrun had expected due to the number of passengers he was travelling with. When he got to his feet and looked around, he realised he was not in his own chamber but in the servant’s quarters. He had messed up his destination due to the passenger load but at least it was still within the tower.

“Your Highness, what happened? Are you alright?” asked a butler as he and other servants went to help the girls to their feet. Amara was the only one who rejected the servants’ aid. She was frantically waving her hands around when the servants offered their hands. She bounced up from the floor and hastily sped out of the room.

“I’m fine, Sebastian,” Augrun said. “Just a bump in the road. I hope I didn't cause too much trouble with my sudden appearance.”

The butler’s name wasn’t actually Sebastian but a name that was too mouthful and tongue-twisting for Augrun to say. So he just called the butler, Sebastian. 

“Your presence is never any trouble, Your Highness. If anything, we are honoured to be graced by your presence. We—”

Augrun stopped the butler from spewing excessive praise any further with a hand raised. He gestured for the servants to resume their work and they did. The revered looks they were throwing his way instantly shifted back to their serious working faces at his command. After the matter with the servants was done with, he turned his attention to Kara, who was still in Iora’s arms. Kara had a blank look on her face as she veered her gaze around. More than fear, there was curiosity. She was gazing at the Demons walking about with more curiosity than fear. Her gaze landed on Sera and Augrun, who were no longer under the guise of Sera’s magic.

“That was reckless of you, Your Highness,” Sera said, setting her maid accessories and frills straight.

“Is it?” Augrun retorted wryly. “Had it truly been so you would have stepped up and warned me about it, won’t you?”

“Maybe I kept silent to see you make a fool of yourself, Your Highness.”

“Not likely,” Augrun approached Sera and kissed her fully on the lips. “You won’t ever do that to your Prince now, would you?”

Sera pouted and looked away, clicking her tongue as her cheeks reddened.

While they were flirting, a servant came pushing a wheelchair to them, after being telepathically informed by Augrun. With the servant’s help, they put Kara into the wheelchair that was made by a Demon blacksmith known as Reindall. The wheelchair was actually created for Augrun himself on the off chance that his birth encountered some complication that would lead him to become a cripple. Augrun didn’t know how to respond to that revelation by Sera. He just nodded.

Amara popped right back into the room, confounding Augrun and the others. “A thousand apologies, Your Highness!” she said with a hurrying tone. “I ran out of the room without your permission but if you would allow me the permission this time, may I take my leave?”

Augrun was barely able to catch what Amara was saying but he managed to piece her incoherent words together. He thought of saying “no” but he prioritised the matter with Kara before his own pleasure. He nodded and Amara was out of the room in a dash with her head hung low.

“She’s not good at socialising, is he?” Augrun asked.

“I’m not sure she knows anything about socialising at all beyond what was drilled into her mind by Madam Vyona,” Sera answered.

They returned to the Prince’s chamber after they got Kara into new garments and they brought some food along with them just in case Kara was hungry. Speaking of her, she was silent and calm the whole time as they moved her around in the wheelchair. She did not flail or struggle. Augrun thought she was just in shock but she wasn’t. She was just calm and collected. Rynn was trotting by her side the whole time, hesitantly glimpsing at Kara every once in a while with a guilty expression. She felt bad for suddenly abducting her friend without her consent.

“Is this your bedroom, Your Highness?” Kara asked as she was wheeled in front of the bed by Iora.

“You don’t have to call me Your Highness. You can just call me Augrun.”

“But you are a Prince, are you not?” she replied in a very calm manner.

“I am but I’m not that strict with titles, though subjects were very insistent on titles. As long as they are happy with it, I just let them be.”

“I see…” Kara muttered.

“K-Kara…” Rynn called out timidly. “Do you still don’t remember us?”

“I don’t, unfortunately. I’m sorry.”

“I-it’s alright…”

Iora tutted and looked at Sera. “There has to be someone in this tower who could help Kara get her memories back, right?”

“There are a few who could do that,” Sera answered.

“I wouldn’t recommend doing so, Iora,” Augrun said. 

She glared. “Why not?”

“She lost her memory due to a traumatic experience. Forcing her memories to return will simply raise unwanted complications, such as a permanent mental scar. Her memories will return naturally if her mind deems her to be ready.”

“Damn it…” Iora uttered her dismay under her breath.

“So…” Kara glanced at Rynn and Iora. “You two made a deal with the Prince of Demons in order to save my life?”

“Sort of,” Iora answered with a melancholic smile.

“We’re his brides now,” Rynn said.

Kara snapped her gaze back to Augrun. “Is that how it is? Can’t say I’m surprised by this type of deal. Quite typical of a Demon, I say.”

“You’re awfully calm for someone who knows she’s among Demons.”

“This is just how Kara is like,” Rynn said with a proud smile. “She’s not afraid of anything.”

Iora huffed with her arms crossed. “She was able to befriend an Ogre like me. That says a lot about her.”

Kara tittered softly. “You are overestimating me, you two. I am not that amazing. I’m just—” 

“Shrewd and perceptive,” Augrun answered.

Kara smiled at him. “As far as I’m concerned, humans and Demons aren’t that different. I may not remember everything but I do remember fragments of it. These small pieces of memories that I had, they had given me no answers, only nightmares. At first, I thought those tormentors in the memory fragments were Demons but no… they’re humans. And I must say, you are treating me better than Javon had.”

Iora frowned. “He abused you?” she asked with a trembling voice.

“No.” Kara shook her head. “But he had this madness in him... A great obsession about me.”

“Figures,” Sera said. “He couldn’t have not known about the Slave Crest on your chest. Instead of reporting it to the court, he kept you to himself. Has he forced himself on you?”

Iora wanted to shout at Sera’s insensitivity but this was something she herself wanted to know too.

“There were times where he came close to doing that but he listens to me. He would be apologetic the next day. But recently… he was becoming quite impatient. I think he expects my virtue in return for saving my life.”

Augrun raised an eyebrow. “I don’t see why you think I’m treating you better than he was.”

“It might not be anything to you, Your Highness, but honesty is a rare gem. You help me because my friends sold their bodies to you and you also want my body in return, I can see all of that in your eyes. You don’t try to hide it under some grand and noble pretence like Javon does. And from the looks of their conditions, you treat your women well.”

“Not when night comes,” Iora muttered.

Rynn was nodding. “Master can be quite rough at night but he treated us well. Master had given me delicious things to eat and pretty dresses to wear.”

“You two are truly no slaves?” Kara asked, glancing at their chests that were absent of the Slave Crest.

“We’re not, Kara,” Iora answered. “We are his brides and consorts. We are with him on our own accord, from now on.”

Augrun raised his brows. He was astonished to hear that from Iora.

“What?” Iora walked over to him and slung her arm around his neck. “You fulfilled your promise.”

“I did.”

Iora leaned in and kissed him on the lips. “Thank you, Augrun. Thank you so much.”

Augrun smiled and kissed her too. “Anything for my lovely bride.”

34