Six Hour Ship Iterations
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several hours had passed.

It felt more like several days instead.

The reason was simply because I was partially focused on waiting for the Transponder Snail to ring, and the other reason was because I was partially focused on designing the ship to fly.

The first half hour was just sitting around the Transponder Snail on the deck, waiting, hoping it wasn't going to take Rosalina as long as she had said. The next half hour following that was after a realization that it was indeed going to take longer than thirty minutes to get even a response, and so, it was spent trying to figure out exactly what I had been wanting to do, which was redesign the ship and the sails.

Having gone through at least two previous designs, while they got more complex than the previous versions, running the ideas through my head made them more plausible. As for if they would truly work within the world itself? Very plausible, but that is really only thanks to the knowledge of the world's limits and what could be created. This version of the flight system for a ship is very crude, as it only uses the power of the wind rather than jet engines, wings, or even something like the Thousand Sunny's 'Coup de Burst', but the possibility for it to work was there, as from what I remembered, there were far more advanced things than some parachute flight system.

But, this would still be the first of it's kind in this world, so it was no problem to be designed in this way. I wasn't that experienced building things, but I could very well create something that would work. Which is why the Royal Deck was still together after experiencing a crash against a cliff face, even if there was a little bit of damage.

But, continuing, that half hour was more or less spent just going through the idea in my head, to which I was interrupted a time or two as to what I was doing, with the following answer: "I'm designing. It'll be a couple minutes before I get a full idea and put it down on paper."

That answer was satisfactory for both Rem and Taki, well, from my perspective, it was, so that's exactly how I took it.

The next two hours or so were spent putting the design on paper, using some near-non-existent drafting skills to get a rough sketch of everything. I did have some experience drawing throughout my entire previous life, and so, with almost no distractions at all, I just drew up plans, using something I had come up with as a basis: over design and then simplify. That is exactly why I had gone through several iterations of a way to fly in my own head, because I had found several other, more realistic ways to make a ship fly using the materials nearby, wood, rope, some metal, and sails.

What happened next caused me some distress, as Rosalina had said three hours. With an approximation of time, I could only guess when three hours had passed, but I had started to freak out internally thanks to a compulsion to be on time, and as soon as I started to think about the fact that it had been around three hours since she had said anything, I stopped designing and went over to the Transponder Snail sitting on the deck. Once I sat down next to it, I started to panic ever so slightly. While I did then remember that Rosalina had said at least three hours, it didn't help that there was no specific time or anything, just an estimate.

When I did realize that there wasn't a specific time frame set, I got back up and went back to drawing the, while not complex nor simple, parachute and air-drop inspired flight system. It did have a bit of inspiration from a movie I had seen before, with a flying house that had a steering setup using sails coming out from the sides of the house. And that was my inspiration for how to steer in the sky.

So, just for a ship to fly, I had complicated the process by only using a parachute style lifting and steering system, which would have worked with large enough parachutes, but then they would also have to work as sails as well. That was the first iteration.

The second iteration was using a similar system, one which would make the sails pull double duty as both a sail and a parachute lift system to pull it out of the water and stay in the air. The only issue then was the steering. This iteration would have taken the back of the ship, making it all one flat surface, and using sails on the deck to steer, but that brought about a few problems. The main ones were that space would have been taken away, and that the steering would not particularly work, since it would take up a particularly large space to get the sails, at deck level, to turn the ship. Those problems were the reason the current iteration was the best so far. It had the ability to be retrofitted to any ship, really. How? Well, the masts would need to be replaced so that all of the sails on said masts could use the wind to take the ship into the air in the first place. The other thing would be an addition to the sides, where smaller, folding sails would be compact enough to not add bulk to the ship itself while also giving a steering mechanism for in the sky. As for the glaring flaw with steering, there would need to be a switch between having the flight sails active and inactive. The rudder on the other hand could be active the entire time, as it would add to the aerodynamic capabilities in the air.

This was possibly the most technologically advanced way to make a ship fly, aside from using a devil fruit, but there was no definitive answer to what devil fruits were when I stopped reading and got transported here. But that's something else entirely, and I had a slight confidence at the fact that this design could probably be the only way to make a ship fly until Franky comes along and makes 'Coup de Burst', to which I should, at that point, have enough resources to make a more professional and developed version of this system. 20 or so years is a long time.

And so was the hours after the three that Rosalina had told me were up. It felt extremely long, and with the anxiety that Rosalina wasn't going to get back to me with a possible fix to my multiple personalities, the hours after were spent pacing back and forth, sitting down and standing back up, taking my notebook from The One and designing future versions of the flight system, and having both Rem and Taki ask me to stop pacing.

'Damn it. I really convinced myself that combining with the original personality would make all my problems go away, but they haven't, and this island has brought out a little too much. I'm not sure how, but I thought I made a little progress, and now every problem that I had personally is coming back. I was fine with a little anxiety, since I could die at any time anyways in this world, but having fears come back and such? That's a bit too much. Although, I guess that it should be normal, from what I remember, people who get isekai'd also bring all of their problems with them. This should be normal.'

I was pacing while thinking these thoughts, and out of nowhere, after at least six hours, double the amount of time Rosalina had said, the Transponder Snail rang, completely scaring me to death. I think I accidentally split into a bunch of pieces, ending up like an accordion and stretching out.

It took a few seconds to realize that Rosalina was the one calling, and so, I quickly grabbed at the snail, missing a couple times at first, and then finally picking up.

"Hello?"

Slightly out of breath and compressing myself back together, I sat down on the floor and answered "Hi."

"Ah, you have finally picked up! I was starting to think that you would never pick up for the answer you seemed to need."

"Yeah, uhm.. I was starting to think you would never call back! You said three hours, so I went by that. I don't really have any way of telling what time it is here, so when I felt like that amount of time had passed, I started to pace around, partially focusing on designing our way off this island, and going to the Transponder Snail for you to possibly answer!"

"..."

"...."

The very short silence was interrupted by a concerned Rosalina. "Are you... okay?"

'Odd question to ask..' It felt like it was odd in the moment, but after going over it in my head, I realized the concern was very needed. 'I don't think Rosa's ever actually seen me, or better yet, heard me stressed other than actually being in a fight. Aw, she's concerned for me!' It took me a minute to realize I had not answered yet.

"Oh, yeah, I am. Why do you ask?"

"Because it sounds like you were waiting when I told you that you would only need to wait for an answer, and spent and odd amount of time becoming more stressed than you should have."

0