Chapter 7
160 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I look at the man in front of me before saying.

"What can I do for you, Sir Knight? While I did not have much, I need to give you something to help both my sister and me."

"Ah, you don't need to do that, my prince. You are the next ruler of the seven kingdoms and it is our duty as a knight to protect you. You also heal all of my injuries. It was more than enough for this old knight."

I nod my head and say.

"However, I cannot get back to the Seven Kingdoms, sir."

"And why is that, my prince? The Iron Throne is your birthright and we can call all the banners who are loyal to you to take it back."

"No. I did not have the right to take the iron throne, sir. The iron throne is shrouded in darkness and curses my family. The first one is my father's brother and my brother's next. I did not want it to curse me and make me a madman. I prefer to spend the rest of my day with my little sister. I'm sorry to disappoint you, sir, but I'm content with who I am right now."

I can see him looking at me for a few seconds before nodding his head.

"I see and I understand why you did not want to take the iron throne back. I can already see the curse slowly but surely killing the people who are sitting on it."

"Then I'm afraid that I cannot employ you as my guard, sir. I'm a baker in this city and I did not have enough coins to pay you."

"Nay. I will stay, my prince. I make an oath to your kind mother and I will fulfil that oath until my last breath. I will protect you and your sister until you are ready to fight the world. I will guide and teach you to be strong in both mind and body. That is my oath to your mother."

Oathbound? Do I just get a paladin? A knight who has an oath that he will fulfil no matter what. Yup, I got a paladin.

"I see. Then I will be in your care from now on, sir."

"Leave it to me, my prince."

~Two months later~

Two months have passed, and Ser Willem Darry stayed near my house. He is a strict teacher. He taught me how to use a bow and arrow, swords, and mace. The only reason why he did not teach me how to use a shield is that he is very bad at it. He uses a shield like a weapon, and he decides to abandon it then focuses on his swordplay.

Because of that, I mostly train in how to use a sword with archery to the side. Sir Willem said that I did not have enough talent in using a bastard sword, but I have a talent in using a longsword. What is the difference, you may ask? A bastard sword is broader and heavier, while a long sword is thinner and lighter than a bastard sword. The length is the same, though.

He also said that I have a good talent for archery.

Every morning, I will spend my time baking the goods for me to sell; in the afternoon, I will be healing in the slum; in the evening, I will spend my time training both physically and mentally. Physical by training with sir Willem and mentally by meditating.

Of course, I also spend some time with my little sister every day. Speaking of Dany, she is growing very fast. She now can crawl around on her own! She is an active baby. She likes crawling around the house and looking around the house. I doubt that there is a corner that she never gets stuck on.

She is that active. I sometimes hear her cry coming from behind a wardrobe, or there is a time when I listen to her crying after she gets stuck behind our kitchen cabinet. I'm a little bit worried about her safety, and because of that, I created a rune. That's right, this boy is now an inventor of runic magic, or at least I thought I was the first one doing it.

This rune will protect her from getting injured when she is stuck somewhere cramped, and it will always notify me of her location.

Speaking of magic, my magic expanded at a fast rate. I truly get a magic system like DnD. Each 'Level Up', I get new cantrips that I can use and even a new spell that does not need a tremendous amount of mana to cast.

The list of Cantrips I can cast is increased by three, all of which are attack cantrips. They are Ray of Frost, Firebolt and Thunderclap. At first, it was not really powerful, but the more I used it, the stronger it got.

The only thing I did not train is Thunderclap because, holy shit, it is loud.

Sadly, just like in DnD, there is a limit to how many Cantrips I can take. In this case, I can only take seven of them. Of course, the most used cantrip is Prestidigitation. Not only for cleaning myself and Dany but also for cleaning all of my patients.

I don't want to heal a filthy individual.

Other than cantrips, I also get a spell that I can use with a small amount of mana but with a cooldown. I got three spells I can use, Bestow Curse, Counterspell, and Dispel magic. Oh, boy, it was a very powerful spell.

Bestow curse is just like its name suggests; I can bestow a curse with many kinds of effects. From the curse of stupidity, the curse of misfortune and many more. The only thing that makes this spell not as powerful as the other one is that it cannot cast a powerful spell that can kill a person immediately. This spell is designed to make the target miserable.

As for the other two… well, it was not really useful for a physical fight, but when it comes to a magical battle? Counterspell will be my strongest ally. Any attack that is magical in nature will be cancelled when I cast this spell.

What makes this spell even more powerful is that it was instantaneous.

The same with Dispel Magic. The only difference is that Dispel Magic can only dispel the magic that has already been cast, not something that will be cast. It was a very effective spell if I encountered a barrier or something like that.

I must say that I have had a productive two months.

"My prince."

I snap from my thoughts as I hear Sir Willem's voice. As I look at him, I can see him panting, and his body is filled with wounds.

"Sir Willem?!"

I quickly run toward him and heal him. As his wound slowly gets closed, I ask him a question.

"What happened? How can you have this much wound?!"

"The usurper… They are coming."

What? The usurper?

*BANG*

I look at the door and see a group of people wearing armour and holding a sword in their hands.

"Heh, found ya, Dragon spawn!"

6