Chapter 4: Information Gathering
925 8 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third-person POV

"Amber Harper, an eleven-year-old who had disappeared 5 years ago. Last seen near a library before her disappearance. No, that's wrong, last seen coming out of a recently abandoned library. The same library that experienced a turbulent magic storm 2 days ago." 

A man sat in his comfortable armchair reading from a file. The man put down the file on the coffee table next to his armchair and ran his hand through his dirty blonde hair. He looked at the maid that stood before him and spoke.

" So? What was her reaction to the attack?" The man asked his maid. Shivering, the maid passed the file that she was holding to her employer but stayed silent. Opening the file, the man read out Amber's exploits.

" Brain James. Third-degree burns, death by electricity. Charles James. Crushed to death." Once again, the man put aside the file and ran his hand through his short hair. Rubbing his chin, he contemplated.

" Is it David Johnson? No, can't be... A student wouldn't have killed without hesitation. Keora de Lione? Maybe. Former sellsword. Marcus Graive, Librarian of the Lost Library and mercenary, maybe? But the men were killed by magic. Hmm... anti divination protection and charms. A former archmage perhaps? A battlemage? Judius Karm? Quik Sliev? Hmm... Possibilities, possibilities." Addressing his maid, the man took the files from his table and passed them to her.

" Give her the usual, find out about habits, magic type, power system and preference in clothes." The maid accepted the files.

" Could she possibly be one of the monster races?" She asked her employer.

" No, a monster would not choose to transmigrate near a book store. Plus, besides her eyes, she does not seem to display any monstrous traits. Her body was reported to have been covered in mana, like some sort of barrier magic. Only mages would intentionally go out of their way to use such a powerful barrier for simple protection." Bowing to the man, the maid excused herself and left the room.

Closing the door behind her, the maid, Grace Flash, quickly flipped through Amber Harper's file and thought to herself.

' I would recognise the eyes of my race anywhere. Let's see if this Amber is worthy of being an ally. Oh, how I miss being able to rampage through cities.' The maid slowly walked towards her enslaver's study, her scaled tail swinging behind her but careful not to hit anything. She did not want his ire.


MC's First-Person POV

~TC~


The investigators have returned. Of course, they have. It is an investigation.

I stared at the crime scene that I had created. I am currently sitting on the pavement opposite the dark alley.

After absolutely crushing the prey I had gone and bought bread from a different bakery. The owners of that bakery were so nice! They gave me a discount! I swear that I will never destroy their bakery. After buying 3 sticks of bread at half price, I returned to the dark alley and found people crowding around it. Since then, I have been sitting on this pavement watching.

I somehow found it a little amusing that all these people had gathered to see a large hole full of bone and blood soup. Pay attention to the people. Their faces, remember them. They might return to search for me by some jump in logic. Nah, I doubt that. I know people are irrational, never underestimate them.

Sighing, I paid more attention to the faces of people who stop to look at my work.


Time skip 5 hours!

6:12 PM

With the MC


5 hours pass quickly when one has something to do. Entire squads of police had come to see the pool of blood. Apparently, such a scene was a big deal and required a lot of attention. Other than policemen, I had also spotted certain magical creatures.

There was one vampire. Two. One was hiding in the shade. One daywalker and a generic vamp. 2, no 3 werewolves. Around 20 different magic users? 4 sorcerers, 2 druids, 10 mages, 2 faith users and 3 pigeons. 

The pigeons... really? Yes.

So, 21 magic users. There were also 3 supernatural. Hmm... the mutants? Is this the Marvel universe? But the mages were wand users, Harry Potter Universe? Pretty sure, I recognised one of them from the movies. A younger version of him at least...

A mash-up? Likely. I should read more stories and gain more power. The beings of Asgard would crush me.

Fuck! Dumbledore!

As I thought of the old wizard, I found myself looking at him in person. All the people who were walking around suddenly left, leaving the old man clearly in sight. He was approximately 10 meters away from me, holding his wand.

We are stronger. Do not flinch, do not show him weakness.

I watched as the wizard slowly walked closer. Eventually, he stopped and stood about 2 meters away from me. I decided to speak. Be careful...

Hey! Sparkles is back.

" Hello wizard, what do you want?" questions are always good ice breakers.

" So, you know what I am?" Don't nod. Speak in short sentences and slowly.

" Yes, I do. What do you want?" Good.

" How do you know that I want something? I could be here simply to speak to you."

Be smart about this, show no mercy.

" That is something you want, to speak to me. Everybody wants something. If not they do not live." The wizard seemed a little surprised when I said this. Perhaps he did not expect a child to make such a statement.

I stared into his eyes and waited for a response. I wanted to play the NPC.

" If everybody has something they want, what do you want?"

Closing my eyes slowly and opening them again.

" Why should I tell you?" I countered with a question of my own. I made sure to say it in my normal, neutral and thoroughly deadpan tone.

NPC. Channel my inner NPC. Pay attention.

"Let us make a trade. I will tell you what I want and you will tell me what you want in life. I desire to save the world and make it a better place. Now your turn."

He mocks us! Kill him! I do not need to answer, I did not agree to the trade. Answer him and see where this goes.

Narrowing my eyes a little, I decided to answer.

" I want to read more stories."

" Stories?"

" Yes, in peace. Alas, that is not possible. For there will always be disturbances."

I could sense see his magical energy floating about. He was preparing a spell. Slowly, I got onto my feet and stretched. Don't kill him!

We should run.

Kill this clown.

Conjuring the magic circle for my tier 5 spell [Solar Flare] next to me. I started feeding the magic circle mana as quickly as I could. I looked at the wizard dead in the eye and warned him.

" I would stop casting that weak spell if I were you."

 

36