Bred for Success
211 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m afraid this is, without a doubt, perhaps the most ill-bred smoke wyvern I’ve come across in all my years of judgment.” Malena Inessa Duchagne sniffed, her measuring tape held to Hop’s wings. Hop crooned softly, laying dutifully still on a red velvet pillow, propped on the long wooden inspection table.

She tapped him lightly on the head and Quenton grit his teeth, repressing the urge to slap her hand away. “His eyes are grey as opposed to the marine color one were to expect, his wings are far too large and ungainly, and his scales are not in the least reflective!.” The middle-aged judge started lecturing Quenton kept his smile plastered to his face and nodded stiffly. The urge to spit back that Hop was better than any of those specimens too inbred to find their own tail was strong.

Keep calm, keep calm, we knew this part was going to be rough. He thought while plastering on a fake polite smile while letting the barrage of critique splash over him like a small tidal wave. The first part of the competition was the breeding portion, which like the rest of the pageant's main sections was split into three distinct branches.

First, came the initial breeding assessment which dictated if the monster in question would be eligible for the two latter branches which were a showcase of lineage and breed fault analysis respectively. Based on the way the sallow-faced judge looked at Hop it was clear that he was not going to even get to try at the two remaining branches.

“It is quite apparent that your wyvern does not fulfill nor even approach the expected standards for a proper pureblood dwarf bat wyvern, as such he is ineligible for further breed evaluation. Perhaps he shall do better in the other sections.” She gazed condescendingly down at Hop before turning and walking briskly to a strange cat-looking creature with the ears of a rabbit.

When the judge departed, Quention casually clicked his tongue and brought Hop up to land on his left shoulder, his right arm still aching dully when moved or touched.

He was not the only competitor at the pageant that day, Camilla had brought Candle with her and Julianna was being assessed along with Ariella. She gave him a nervous smile over the heads of the milling people who observed the various monsters being tested.

Most notably, however, was the presence of Aliza Warwin who had already gotten top marks and was now allowing people to observe her creature. Aliza wore an deep forest green gown to match the striking scales of her basilisk companion who’s citrine eyes glittered in the sun and made quite an impression on the onlookers.

The serpent was not as large as some of the constrictors Quenton had seen on animal documentaries, but it was still large. As he watched it fanned it’s gleaming emerald wings and preened for the judges, he could see the confident satisfaction radiating from Aliza as she eagerly described her pet’s many virtues.


Since Hop had been eliminated from the breeding competition Quenton had quite a bit of free time before the next round. Free time he spent almost exclusively on fretting about his chances in the upcoming rounds, while Viola tried to covertly read a book under her parasol as they sat in comfortable chairs and watched Camilla also promptly get eliminated from the breeding round.

Out of the people that Quenton could root for only Juliana advanced beyond the initial assessment, and even then she self-admittedly did not do that well at the two remaining rounds. Her cat-sith Ariella, did not have an extensive lineage to show for herself and the quick notes about her parents and grandparents had not been enough to impress.

As for the last round, she had been paired with Aliza Warwin and promptly eviscerated Ariella and her “many faults” to the point that Julianna had almost been driven to tears. While her own faint critiques had done nothing to really showcase any major flaws on the part of Aliza’s serpentine monster.

The beauty competitions started out suspiciously similar to the breeding ones, Hop had been dressed in the outfit that Quenton, Rosalind, Aliss, and Mrs. Seaver had collectively worked on for the event.

Quenton smiled as Hop obligingly allowed himself to be dressed in a dark violet mantle, Hop nuzzled his hand and stretched his wings, the silver threads of the costume catching the sunlight. He’d embroidered a sword surrounded by glass bead roses on the back to match the crest of house Moray. The sword and pink beads gleamed prettily as Quenton adjusted the argent tassels that edged the ensemble.

Looking around he noticed Hop’s outfit was simpler than the majority on display, lace, ruffles, and skirts seemed to rule the day. Still he didn’t regret the costumes’ relative simplicity, figuring that Hop’s mobility and dignity outranked the need for frills.

Quenton took a breath as a new judge, a handsome twenty-something man with sun yellow hair smiled at him. “Interesting technique on your costume.” He said, bending to examine Hop.

The judge pensively stroked Hop’s neck, where Quenton knew most wyverns adored being scratched. “Perhaps a bit rustic but certainly well made and flattering of the form.”

Quenton allowed himself a small smile though he half expected the other shoe to drop. “

“The wingspan is impressive though the limbs are I must say, a bit overgrown. The coloring is common, though not unattractive.” He turned to Quenton. “Tell me, what is his name?”
He kept himself from flushing or mumbling by the grace of his composure skill. “Hop.” He said clearly.

The judge blinked. “Hop? Is that…a diminutive?”

“I’m afraid not. I’m aware it’s not fashionable but it seemed most fitting at the time.”

After the scoring the next part of the event was where the actual eliminations were to take place. Quenton almost smirked when he realized what the contest was going to be: luncheon.

The entire assembly of ladies and their collective menagerie of monsters had to partake in a lunch out on the grass and it was meant to be a display of control, dignity, and beauty. As the ladies would have to show proper table manners and have their pets be appropriate companions.

 

Quenton, Julianna, and Camilla were all seated together by a little round table with two other ladies. One had an unruly mop of brown hair that nicely complemented her amber-coloured dress and bonnet, though his eyes were drawn immediately to her companion. A levitating squid-like thing with multiple thick tentacles and one glaring purple and yellow eye.

Noticing his gaze, she smiled tautly. “Never seen an echeneis, dear? I suppose you’ve not been to the western shore. They’re rather common there, though not so well bred as my Rylin.” Her gloved hand reached out and gently petted the undulating scalp of the horrific squid-thing before she continued to eat.

The other lady at the table was one of Aliza Warwin’s friends named Sophia Callahan and she had chosen a fiery orange gown to match the plumage of her rather fat phoenix. The bird was so corpulent and swollen that Quenton thought it would be a miracle to see it jump let alone actually take wing. He had at first thought it was some kind of deformed peacock, before Sophia had testily explained that it was a long-tailed phoenix.

“It is unfortunate that you did not get to finish the first competition Lady Briony.” Julianna remarked sadly as she gently bit into the meal, a light swordfish filet with bread and a salad with a lemon dressing, and looked over at Hop. Who for his part sat languidly sphinx-like on a perch near the table.

“Unfortunate, but it could not have been unexpected? Your…pet is not of the kind of stock that one would expect him to perform well in the matters of breeding.” Sophia opined haughtily as she gestured over to her phoenix. “My Valexstrix on the other hand managed to score well as he comes from a proud lineage of phoenixes, his grandmother was a grand champion of the pageants in her time in fact.”

Her smug tone grated on Quenton’s nerves and he actively strained to remain polite. I know what you are doing, but I am not going to let you taunt me even if you are insulting my Hop. He let his anger simmer in his thoughts but without letting it show as he thoughtfully remarked.

“Well, ultimately I think it is important that both of our companions are healthy and able. And while I personally do not care for the prejudices that comes with that part of the competition, I do believe that Hop will prove his worth in other areas.” Quenton laid out the lines that Viola and Rosalind had helped him rehearse in preparation for the smack talk that could come about breeding.

He seemed calm, but aside from the anger at the insults, Quenton had to strain his Beast Kin talent for all it was worth to make sure Hop remained compliant and adorable where he was seated. It was vital that he sat in a dignified way, without disrupting the meal with begging, undue noises, or other ways of acting out that animals were prone to when bored.

And Hop despite having been accelerated through Beast Kin backed training was still a juvenile wyvern. He wanted to fly, to grab things, to eat snacks, and play. But Quenton managed to keep him subdued while focusing on getting through the meal conversation.

Camilla had picked an entirely different strategy for how to handle the luncheon. She ate primly like a little princess with Candle curled on her lap. She’d dressed the imp in a silver cape and cowl and an intricately embroidered rose vest. Quenton glanced at Julianna who was looking dismayed at Ariella’s pleading gaze on the food.
When he turned his gaze back to Camilla, Candle was gone and Camilla gave him a smile so sweet he half suspected she’d poisoned him.

He tottered adorably by the chair, seemingly searching for something in grass. No one else at the table seemed to pay him any mind. As Quenton sent a questioning gaze to Camilla, Candle plucked a pebble from the grass and whipped it at the soft head of the levitating squid creature. Who seconds later let out a ghastly wail that caused several of the plates to shake.

“Rylin!” The brown-haired lady exclaimed before clamping her mouth shut and glancing about in shock as the little creature flew into her arms and started wrapping it’s tentacles around her torso. Everybody, including the judges and the ladies seated at the other tables along with their monsters, stared over at her and the echeneis.

The lady reddened quickly under the stare of the crowd and she cleared her throat before stating. “Pardon us, something must have startled my Rylin here.” Her excuse did nothing to alleviate the stares and Quenton could practically feel the weight of the attention and humiliation making her hunch over.

Candle did not stop there and Quenton glanced over to Camilla who acted as if nothing had happened at all while talking with Julianna about preferred snacks to feed monsters. I can’t believe no one else notices her smug little smirk. He thought absently as he observed his little sister.

The next little act of sabotage came when the fat phoenix suddenly shrieked in outrage and dove down from where he was perched to try and peck a seemingly napping Candle. The footmen working the luncheon rushed forwards to separate the two animals as the phoenix laboriously beat its wings at Candle, who had curled into a ball.

Once the Phoenix had been restrained, Candle crawled into Camilla’s arms while mewling pitifully. As Camilla reassured the judges that Candle was perfectly fine and the poor dear was just a tad shaken.

Sophia looked both angry and shocked as the judges came over to reprimand her after the luncheon and she shot many angry glares over at Camilla who on her end pristinely fussed over Candle, her expression almost angelically guileless.


Quenton fidgeted nervously, as he approached the wooden stage; Hop perched on his shoulder. It was time for the talent show portion of the beauty, every monster was obliged to use their abilities to impress, dazzle, and charm the judges along with the onlookers.

“We got this.” He muttered under his breath, as he stepped up onto the stage. Quenton took a deep breath before he grandly reached out his arm pointing out over the heads of the crowd before using the other to whistle.

As he whistled, Hop took to the air and exhaled a wide ring of smoke which he soared through. Hop was limited in what he could do during the day, the sunlight hampering his eyesight. But flying in a wide u-turn over the heads of the crowd while exhaling smoke rings to fly through? That was just within his wheelhouse.

The crowd politely clapped to this opening number as Hop began circling back towards Quenton and from there he had him show off a series of spins and other aerial maneuvers. He could see and sense Hop struggling to keep steady in the air, shining like tarmac in the midday light, but he kept steady, and then finally for the finishing touch he started to spiral around Quenton.

As Hop spiraled he began to trail light smoke that slowly drifted down around Quenton. They had practiced this multiple times before the event after Julianna suggested utilizing the smoke for more than just rings. The smoke drifted in layers as Hop flew in a tight circle letting it form a sort of illusionary gown of mist flowing down over Quenton before dissipating and spreading out in a thin layer of vapor that glittered in the light.

The crowd was silent as the glittering smoke fully cleared the stage. Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck I have ruined this. Quenton thought in a near panic as he tried to read the crowd and failed.

Hop landed majestically on the stage before Quenton and the two bowed almost in perfect unison before the crowd who then finally erupted into a hearty applause for the two. Hop jumped up into his arms and Quenton thought to himself. Now for the quarrels.

12