Chapter 17: Social Encounters
137 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Governor of Sumar City was arguably among the most powerful individuals in the empire, able to shape local politics within one of the largest cities in the world, and with dominion over millions of lives. 

He was not a large man, by any means, but walked with the smooth authority of someone who was very used to being famous and relatively powerful. He wasn’t a noble, but a hand selected civilian. It reminded me a little of how some of the popular illusion actors and actresses walked. He seemed far more cognizant of his post being that of an empress’s whim. To mee, it made him seem a little more dangerous than the average aloof nobility, even as he casually sauntered between groups of guests. 

Effortlessly wearing a formal deep violet kimono like it was a casual attire, he made his way over to us in little time. “Mister Justin Stormhallow, and Officer Scaleen Fortuna, it is a pleasure that you were able to make it. Given your recent arrival in the city, you look perfect for the occasion. Thank you for your message and for making it to my home.” His greeting, as fluid as a decade old friend, washed over us both. I recovered first while Justin embarrassedly picked at his robes as they nearly matched the Governor’s by chance. 

“Governor Dameron, it is us who owe you a thank you. Your help while Justin was in a tight spot is more than we could have hoped for. And before you have the wrong impression. I have been forced to resign from the City Guard due to Priority Sheet rules. It is just Miss Scaleen Fortuna now.”

The Governor nodded, taking this in stride. “I am sorry we lost your service to the city then, Miss Scaleen. Hopefully I will have you in my employ again one day. I am sure your reasons were great enough. Do they tie into how Justin was… detained?”

“Yes. As it turns out, Justin told me the Cultists had discussed having allies with the Auran Coast, as well as discussed some issues regarding Drakenguard separatists… but I don’t know if you want to go into detail regarding that here.” 

Since the Governor knew why Justin was detained and that I had formerly been a guard, he likely knew I was the one who interrogated him. All in all, my actions were overall very suspicious. Justin had the Governor’s temporary protection, but I was not so assured. Because Priority Sheets were so formal and traditional, I would likely be protected until after the coronation, but my meddling in a politically charged detainment would likely get me into trouble sooner or later. I just hoped I’d have two more days to be vindicated. 

“I think not. It is a sensitive topic, after all.” He turned to Justin, who seemed to have finally regained his composure. 

“Yes, thank you for your help, Governor. I’d be happy to give you all the information I know, when you are free, but its, ah, complicated. I know you’ve been wanting news for some time regarding the necklace. I don’t have solid proof, but I know it’s not the current circle of nobility around Tal- the Crown Princess who is responsible.”

The Governor seemed to study Justin, incredulous, before saying, “Indeed, I imagine not. Let us discuss another time, however. Have you been to Sumar City before? How has your last day treated you to its wonders?” I was glad the Governor changed the topic overall, as he wandered a bit in the ballroom, the two of us walking along. 

Justin did grasp here that he should not talk anymore openly about who might be responsible for detaining the Governor’s husband in a prison mine across the sea, secretly under the jurisdiction of the Sumar Empire. “It’s been absolutely fascinating. Scaleen has been showing me some of the sights and I am surprised at how modern some of the amenities are.” 

The Governer laughed, “I hardly believe there is a place more modern than Sumar City. With Sanctum to compare it to, I’d be shocked if you weren’t impressed with what has become the standard under our Empress, may she live forever. Sanctum is one of the few remaining holdouts to the ‘old ways’. Maybe they will open their gates a little further, given their near miss with those cultists, you think?”

We’d wandered into the orbit of another set of people, both of whom looked like merchants or solicitors from the fine cut of their clothing. 

One of the pair was a tall Dwarf, who had their sleeves adorned in a fine silver chain, but was otherwise in a conservative grey suit that was cut in the latest fad that merged Elven soft lines with Dwarven layers. Even assuming they had an outer coat taken to a coat room by a servant, they would be swelteringly hot if the room didn’t have a cooling enchantment. I wondered if the weave had been enchanted for comfort as well.

The  Human was a broader man dressed far more brightly in bright blues and greens. I suspected they might have something to do with the navy, or perhaps the shipping industry, because the style was distinctly similar to all the outfits I’d seen in dramas about sea-crossed lovers and rival captains desperately in hate with one another. 

I’d seen the sea that South Sumar’s river fed into. Once. I would need to be dragged, clawing and biting, to get onto a ship to traverse it. 

Justin answered the question, in a way that I knew that he was talking around information he knew outside his second childhood, “Well, I imagine if those cultists had succeeded, Sanctum might have had their whole way of life ruined. When I left, they were already struggling with nutritional deficiencies, and the, ah, accident took out a big chunk of their orchards.”

“Did it now? Well, maybe we can offer some assistance, then. Speaking of properly supplying those in need -” He gestured to the two people we’d been approaching, “I’d like you to meet Mr. Harkins Saltworth and Mr. Jokrel Canticle. Harkins-” Governor Dameron motioned to the man with the bright naval outfit, “-is a fleet manager for the Sumar Seas Trading Company. Jokrel is a Guild Counselor for Sumar City’s Metalworker’s Guild.” Dameron motioned to the conservative suit.

“Gentlemen, this here is Justin Stormhallow of Sanctum. He’s responsible for having stopped that sect of Red Cruxists, ah, dead in their tracks you might have read about this morning? He might be able to give you good contacts with regard to who to talk to in Sanctum about getting those mining rights your colleagues are looking for, Jorkel. With him is Scaleen Fortuna, Master Scribe in former service to the Temple of Dreams. She’s been responsible for submitting several reform suggestions here in the CenSum City Guard bureaucracy that I plan to implement.”

Both of the gentlemen seemed politely interested, with Jorkel in particular focused on Justin. 

“It is a pleasure to meet both of you esteemed gentlemen.”

Justin echoed me, “Yes, it’s absolutely great. We’ve been honored for the invitation here, so close to the coronation.”

Harkins seemed to be amused by the whole exchange, and said, “Well, we can’t let a budding hero go languishing in the marshes. By the accounts I read, they were still counting body parts from the discharged Orb of Elimination, but found upwards of thirty dead. Good riddance to dead god trash, as far as I’m concerned.” 

Justin was not displeased by this praise, saying, “Well, if they had placed it during the ceremony like they’d intended, access to much of the caves would be practically impassable for years, I imagine.”

“Are the caves really as extensive as the rumors have them? Miles deep, where it starts to get too hot for Humans or Elves to travel without gear?” Jokrel was more intent on his goals than Harkins.

Justin waggled his hand back and forth, equivocating, “Not quite, There’s actually several heat vents created by a magma flow. The mountain’s not a volcano, really, but I think the flow connects to the Godspine Volcanoes that form part of the border with Drakenguard.”

I interjected, asking, “What sort of metals do you suspect might come from Sanctum for trade, guildmaster?”

He looked at me as if he didn’t quite know what to do with me. “Well, I’ve heard it said that there are silver and iron compounds there. If there were an untapped resource of iron within a stone’s throw of the capital, it would be a great boon. Right now, we have to import from Derint, which, as Harkins can describe, gets rather expensive.”

Justin frowned and glanced at me a moment, considering, “Well, geology is so not my specialty. Most of it is cinnabar and orpiment, which is why you can’t go too deep without some sort of toxin immunity. There might be iron sulfides in there as well, but it's hard to tell what the geode caverns might hold. But yeah, lots of merc- er, quicksilver, if you want to melt it out.”

Jorkel looked a little askance, “Sanctum knows how to extract quicksilver?” I discerned past Jorkel’s facade to see his alarm. It was a trade secret how dwarves acquired quicksilver, and I spoke up quickly to cover it. 

“I do not believe so. Justin is simply particularly astute but has been, hm, reclused behind the walls of Sanctum since childhood. I do not believe he realizes how much his awareness of how best to extract quicksilver is common knowledge or not. He’s almost a master of Mechanics.”

Jorkel nodded, “Indeed. Keep your cards close, boy. Still you’ve provided more than enough to remind us the venture is well worth the costs.”

Justin nodded, saying agreeably, glad his mistakes were covered, “I do know how trade secrets work, and I will restrain myself in the future.” Trade secrets mostly meant secrets an organization would be willing to send assassins in order to kill those who violated what was beyond common knowledge. Quicksilver was nearly as expensive as platinum and, while dangerous, incredibly useful for ritual magic.

“You said geode caverns, did you?” Harkins said, having been waiting for the chance to ask more. “What other trinkets are available and rocks are available under the mountain?”

Justin was quick to learn that he should be guarded. He did reveal someone on the Sanctum council who would be more amenable to bribes and promise of free trade to the duo, but beyond that, let Sanctum have its share of wealth before being completely exploited by the empire. 

I didn’t care either way. The religious isolationists would have killed me on sight. The empire had exploited more in worse ways than they would some eccentric Humans in their backyard.

The rock talk is partially an homage to a friend of mine's work, Fae/Kruos, who is posting Villager Three over on Royal Road. Speaking of, I plan to post this work over there as well, over the next few days. I am not sure I'll be replicating all the author's notes, so rest assured, here on ScribbleHub is the "Author's Cut".  Though with that in mind, you might prefer to read over there, if that's more your speed.

10