102. Elves and Hatred
299 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m sorry about all that,” Paul said in the late afternoon.

“That’s life,” Adam replied. “I didn’t expect them to be so antagonistic towards an Adventurer within the Guild. Is Deadwood part of South Aldland too?”

“No, but they are part of Central Aldland, which distrust Elves just as much.”

“Why is that?”

“The capital is within Central Aldland, and the King has the most influence within it, even in its most distant town of Deadwood.”

“That is unfortunate.” Adam sighed.

“I will send word to the Countess about the matter,” Paul said, rubbing his forehead.

“Send her word?” Aizaban asked. “How dare she look down on you! Should I go make a mess?”

“No!” Paul snapped his head towards his wife. “I can deal with this.”

Aizaban smiled, reaching up to brush his hair.

“Oi, would you two stop flirting in front of me?”

“We’re not flirting,” Paul replied, weakly.

“I’ll flirt with my husband wherever I please,” Aizaban replied, simply.

Adam rolled his eyes. “There’s no need to blow this out of proportion. If you want to send word, go ahead, but make note that Adam and Fate’s Golden will not take requests for any Nobility within Deadwood. We can do that much, right?”

“It’s awkward to go against Nobility, but since her side started the fight, it shouldn’t matter. Plus, you’re still only an Iron Rank Adventurer.”

“No I’m not,” Adam said. “I’m Copper Rank.”

“What?” Paul said, staring at him. “You are?”

“Yeah,” Adam said, motioning to his Copper Rank Tag.

Paul blinked at it, before rubbing his forehead again. “Oh, right. We should fix that as soon as possible. Would you like to get that fixed now?”

“Nah, it’ll be fine.” Adam waved his hand casually. “It’s not like there’s a huge benefit to going up to Iron Rank, and the fees remain the same.”

Paul sighed. He had meant to Rank Up both Adam and Jurot, but after hearing that Adam could enchant, he had been completely engulfed in his thoughts. ‘Enchanting. Alchemy. Magic. Martial.’ Paul sighed again.

Aizaban rubbed his back gently. “Thinking too much is bad for you.”

“I guess I should remain in this inn until we’re ready to head out,” Adam said, glancing out his window to see a Guard staring at him. “I don’t think they’ll appreciate me leaving.”

“It shouldn’t be quite so bad in Eagle Wing,” Paul said, though he was uncertain the moment the words slipped out of his lips.

Adam spent the next few days in the inn, relaxing. Fate’s Golden would visit in the morning and the evening, and they would bring Jurot some blocks of wood so he could carve into them. He created almost a dozen different figurines, all in silence.

‘Damn,’ Adam thought, noting just how much focus Jurot managed whilst carving into the wood.

The wooden carvings were of various different animals, though some were of a more simple design, and others were more intricately carved.

Omen: 8, 13

“So we can finally leave this horrid place, eh?” Adam said once he met Sir Harvey, who looked slightly haggard.

The Guards nearby threw him a glare, but with Aizaban and Lanban beside him, he felt further at ease.

“You should be careful with your words, stranger,” came the dark voice of a woman. She was adorned in dark breastplate, and at her sides she wielded a pair of shortswords, each made of Deadwood. Along her shoulders was a long cape, made of black.

“It was quite horrid, being confined in an inn room,” Adam said. “You’ll have to forgive my words, I’m a little stir crazy from being trapped.”

“You had the freedom to leave and walk as you pleased,” the woman said. “You could have felt the cool breeze on your skin, seen the sights, spent your coin in our shops.”

“And give you all an excuse to imprison me? Oh, be careful! That Elf walked a little too quickly! Oh, look at him, he reached for his sword to try and threaten the shopkeeper, let’s forget the fact that his pouch is at his side?” Adam rolled his eyes, but realised she couldn’t see them, so rolled his head instead. “I might be a foreigner, but I know how easy it is for you to make an excuse to do as you please. If I’m not welcome, then my coins aren’t either.”

“Speaking ill against a Knight is punishable by death,” the woman warned. “You should be careful.”

“I can only thank you for proving my point,” Adam said, as Sir Harvey stepped forward to break up the fight.

‘This Elf is trying to get himself killed.’ He cleared his throat. “After the war, the behaviour towards Elf has soured. It is your people’s fault.”

“My people had nothing to do with it,” Adam said. “Just because I’m an Elf, doesn’t mean I know every other Elf in this land. Last I recalled, Sir Royce, the previous Knight of Death, held a different opinion. I wonder if the King will bring him to justice, or if Sir Royce will be able to walk about freely as he pleases, with that giant maul at his back.”

Sir Harvey glared at Adam. “This is Sir Enna, Darkknight of Deadwood. This is Adam, Copper Rank Adventurer.”

“Nephew of the Rot family,” Adam said. “If you’re going to introduce us, at least do so fairly, Sir Harvey. I wouldn’t introduce you as Sir Harvey, he who entraps you between Guards.” Adam shook his head. “Don’t you start as well.”

“I merely was stating your Rank, as I had done Sir Enna’s,” Sir Harvey said.

“Save your sophistry,” Adam said. “There’s no need to waste your breath on little ol’ me.”

Jurot placed a hand on Adam’s shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, don’t worry about me. I’m just trying to play their little game with them, but it’s a little awkward when the peons begin to stand up for themselves.” Adam pat Jurot on his back. “Since I’m not sure which statements are unintentional, I need to make sure they’re truthful on all accounts.”

“It is a very dangerous game,” Jurot said. “Even if you speak the truth, the Nobility in this land will not appreciate it.”

Adam threw a look to Jurot, noting his warning. ‘Right, I’m not in the Iyr. I should be more careful…’ Adam sighed.

They continued along their way, following the road. The group carried extra supplies for the journey, though the Iyrmen proved far more useful with their ability to gather food and find fresh water for them to drink, even when they were away from a stream. The hills to their right quickly gave way as they circled around the forest to their left, heading generally northward. They travelled along the road, with Sir Harvey continuing to find various plants whenever they took their frequent breaks on his behest.

“We will rest the night here,” Sir Harvey said at the end of their second day on the road. They had veered away towards a small area which was commonly used by Adventurers, as they had done so thus far.

Adam found a place away from Sir Merrick and Sir Enna, with Lanban in between Fate’s Golden and the Sirs, and Paul and Aizaban to the other side of the younger party, keeping their flank secure.

Perception Check
D20 + 3 = 20 (17)

As Adam pulled out his blanket, he noted something dug in the earth. He squinted at it, before he brought one of his axes out and dug into the earth slightly with his blade, before the gem popped right out.

He reached for the gem and picked it up, noting it was caked in something dry and dark. Before he could ask Jurot for his thoughts, he felt something within the gem pulse.

‘What?’ Adam thought.

He remained holding it for a long while, staring at it.

The other members of Fate’s Golden glanced his way, wondering what was in his hands.

“Is that a gem?” Jurot asked.

“I think so,” Adam replied, holding it up. “It feels like a gem, but…”

“But what?” Jurot asked, keeping an eye on the gem. It wasn’t like a gem he had seen in the Iyr, and he had seen many gems.

“It,” Adam said, feeling the pulse again, “is pulsing. Roughly once a minute or so.”

“A pulsing gem?” Kitool asked, staring at it.

“Do you know anything about it?” Adam asked, holding it up to them.

The trio leaned in to stare at the gem long and hard, before it pulsed again.

“Blood,” Jurot said.

“What?”

“There is blood on the gem.” He motioned with a thick finger towards the dried darkness. “That is blood.”

“Blood, eh? Adam said, staring at the gem. “That’s foreboding.”

“Do you feel any different?” Kitool asked.

“No.”

“Then perhaps it isn’t dangerous?”

“It’s definitely dangerous,” Kitool said, glancing at Jaygak.

Jaygak rolled her eyes. “Well, sure, but we could hope…”

“You should be careful with that gem,” Kitool said.

“I’ll be as careful as I can be.” Adam placed it inside some cloth, before placing it into the bottom of his backpack, under his spellbook. ‘I hope it doesn’t end up being something creepy.’

Omen: 2, 3

There he stood. It was a man who stood taller than any other man Adam had ever seen. He came like a mountain, adorned in heavy plate mail from head to toe, with a sword as big as he strapped to his back.

“Whoa,” Adam whispered, staring at the huge fellow.

“Sir Robert, the Mountain,” Paul said, nodding his head slowly.

Sir Robert remained silent.

‘Sir Robert? The Mountain?’ Adam almost chuckled, but he could feel the pressure in the air.

“Have you seen him?” Sir Robert asked, his voice deep, like unearthed gravel.

“Who?” Paul replied.

“The Knight of Death.”

“The previous Knight of Death,” Paul corrected, “but yes. He was heading down south, to Ever Green.”

Sir Robert grunted, shambling forward past the group. Paul remained tense the entire time, not relaxing even as they walked past one another.

Sir Robert’s steps stopped. “What’s an Elf like you doing so far north?”

Adam stopped, Paul quickly stepping between the pair. Lanban and Aizaban remained close by too, with Aizaban whispering, half praying for a fight against the one known as the Mountain.

“I’m only half an Elf,” Adam said. “I’m free to move as I please, as long as I don’t bother anyone.”

Sir Robert had half turned back to look at the Half Elf in puthral plate mail. The three warriors, including the Vice Master of the Guild, were definitely protecting him. It would be a difficult fight, one he wouldn’t win, but would he be able to slay Adam during the fray? His eyes scanned the pair of Iyrmen, as well as the Silver Rank Adventurer. ‘No.’

“Whatever qualms you have with Elves, don't take it up with me. I’m an innocent little Elf, trying to make my way in the world."

"You should be careful with your words," Sir Robert replied. “Lying to a Knight can get you killed.”

“I’ve said no lie,” Adam said. “If you don’t wish to hear what I have to say, don’t ask questions.”

Sir Robert glared at Adam though his helmet. "There will come a time when you won't have so many warriors beside you."

"There will come a time when I won't need them," Adam replied, resting his arm against the magical blade at his side.

Sir Robert turned and left, his heavy boots thunking onto the ground, before they faded in the distance.

“What was his problem?" Adam asked.

"He's Sir Robert the Mountain," Paul said.

"Sir Rockhill," Aizaban said.

"Rockhill?” Adam asked. “No wonder he doesn’t like Elves…”

Adam stared at the huge figure’s back.

'Hey, Bell? How strong was he?'

[Stronger than Paul.]

'Stronger than Silver Rank, huh? Looks like I've been spending too much experience on weapons and not enough on my Level.'

 


YoFXuQV.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Adam randomly finding people who want to kill him.

11