199. Adam Bailed Out
276 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paul arrived at the Guard’s estate, his eyes darkened from the lack of sleep, but having heard there was trouble with Adventurers, and it was about that guy, he needed to come along.

“I knew it was you,” Paul said, looking to Adam.

“Evening, Paul,” Adam said. “Vice Master, excuse me.”

“Yeah,” he said, looking to the Guards. “Why the Guards are involved in a matter between Adventurers is beyond me.”

“We informed the Guards of the matter,” James said. “We also informed the Guild of the issue the issue too.”

“I heard your side of the story before I came,” Paul said. “So, Adam, I assume your side of the story is different?”

“You know it,” Adam said. “This is why I like you, Paul.”

“Vice Master,” he said.

“I can’t believe I made that mistake twice,” Adam said, shaking his head. “I was doing so good up until then.”

Paul raised his brows.

“Sorry. Anyway, I like you because even though I’m a Half Elf, you know my true worth.” Adam smirked, winking at him. “Well, maybe not my true worth.”

“Adam, please.”

“Sorry.”

Adam explained his side of the story to Paul in excruciating detail, far more detail than when he explained it to the Guards, including the more embarrassing parts.

“You can use Fireball?” Paul asked, staring at the Half Elf.

The Guards glanced between one another.

“Yep,” Adam said. “You can ask Mikayla and Fiona, they saw, or you can ask Jurot, he took a Fireball to the face for fun.”

Paul looked to the two women, who nodded, then to Jurot, who tried not to smile as he nodded. “Yeah, sounds like something an Iyrman would do.”

Adam nodded. “Right?”

“Okay,” Paul said, sighing. “Head to the Adventurer’s Guild. You can have your bath and your meal, and I’ll speak to you later. I’ll deal with the Guards.”

“Baktu bless you, Vice Master,” Adam said, sighing. “Come on guys, let’s go.”

Adam returned back to the Guild, where he immediately went to bathe, washing his clothing too, before he ordered a large meal. He gorged himself on meat and potatoes, which was on offer that evening.

“Ah,” Adam said, nursing his food baby, wearing his thick clothing.

Lucy was nursing her own food baby, having eaten a gold’s worth of food in a single sitting. “The Adventurer’s Guild ain’t so bad.”

“Right?” Adam said.

“It’s no Iyr, but it’s pretty sweet.”

Adam nodded his head. “They don’t seem to like us much though,” Adam said, noting a few Adventurers who were giving the pair dirty looks, though Jurot kept most of their gazes away.

“Yeah,” Lucy said, shrugging her shoulders.

Eventually Paul returned to the Guild, still annoyed. “You three, with me.” Paul motioned a head, and took the trio to a room in the back. “So you didn’t figure out anything with the magical symbol?”

“No, sorry.”

Paul sighed. “Jurot, was it true what happened? They were mindless and attacking one another?”

“Yes.” Jurot nodded. “Lucy was almost struck by Inflict Wounds, if not for Adam’s abilities.”

“Fireball and Counterspell,” he said. “Mage’s Tower too?”

“Yep,” Adam replied.

“How long has it been since we last saw each other? Yet, you’re already an Expert?” Paul asked.

Adam winked.

Soon the other four were brought in front of the Vice Master too, each of them looking small and meek, like four little rabbits, ready to be eaten by the four older Adventurers.

“It seems that each of you have some explaining to do,” Paul said. “You’ve thrown out some terrible allegations, and I’m afraid we can’t let that pass.”

“You believe them?” Mikayla asked. “Did you use a Zone of Truth spell?”

Paul motioned to Jurot. “He’s as good as any Zone of Truth spell.”

“You believe him?”

“You’re from the East,” Paul said. “You probably don’t understand how much weight an Iyrman’s words have around here.”

“He said the boy was his brother!” Mikayla exclaimed. “How can that be true? He doesn’t have the tattoos! I know that I’m not familiar with those Iyrmen, but-“

“Beasts,” Adam said.

“What?”

“Why are you being so polite now?” Adam asked. “Isn’t that what you called him? A beast, right?”

“That’s…” Mikayla turned red.

“Adam,” Paul said, raising his brows. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to hear what she has to say.”

Adam nodded.

“I know very little about Iyrmen, but I know that each Iyrman has a tattoo,” she said, meekly.

“Adam is a Nephew,” Paul said. “Meaning he has been adopted into a family, the same as I. It means he’s trusted by the Iyrmen. If Jurot believes Adam to be his brother, then that’s something between Adam and the Rot family. It means, as far as Jurot and the Rot family are concerned, Adam is much of an Iyrman as Jurot is. It’s the same as I with the Ban family.”

“So it’s because you’re both close to Iyrmen that you’re taking his side?” James accused.

“I don’t mind if you want to dig yourself in a deeper hole,” Paul said. “I’ll take out a Zone of Truth scroll, and once you’re found guilty, you’re going to pay for it.”

James scoffed. “Bring it! I don’t trust him one bit!”

Paul nodded his head, reaching into his cloak to bring out the scroll. “If you resist, I’ll assume your guilt.”

Charisma Save
Voluntary failure.

A familiar sensation took hold of Adam, which allowed him to speak no lie.

Adam repeated his story, not leaving anything which could be misconstrued as trickery, to the point that Paul had to cast another Zone of Truth spell.

“So?” Paul asked, looking to the four of them. “Do you have any complaints?”

“Truth is individual,” James said. “His truth and my truth can be complete opposites.”

“Did he lay a hand on you?” Paul asked Mikayla.

“Yes,” she said.

“Not including how he knocked you up, tied you, and untied you?” Paul asked.

“No,” she said.

Adam’s eyes were wide, and he was about to jump in with some harsh words, but she eventually admitted the actual truth.

Paul sighed. “Dealing with the Guards was one thing, but this is another.” He rubbed his forehead. “Adam, I know that they were eager to cause trouble, but will you drop this matter?”

“No,” Adam said, firmly. “They said a lot of things about me, and they may not seem serious to anyone else, but they are very matters to me. The fact that she almost made me out to be some kind of despicable person, and then the entire group trying to make me into a criminal…” Adam shook his head. “The fact I haven’t demanded an arm from each of them is a testament to how much of a decent person I am.”

“If they explain the situation to the Guards, will you drop it?” Paul asked.

“Firstly, they are going to explain the situation to the Guards, and I would hope you go with them to make sure they don’t lie about me like they’re so eager to,” Adam replied. “Secondly, I’m going to need a lot more than that to drop this kind of thing, Paul.”

“Then what do you want?” Paul asked.

Adam looked to Jurot. “What do you think? A Nephew of the Rot family was slandered so harshly. What would happen if this was the Iyr?”

“We should kill them,” Jurot said.

Adam coughed. “Relax, Jurot.”

“We showed them mercy and they betrayed us. It is only right to slay them for their betrayal. It will stop anyone else from doing the same.”

Lucy smiled.

“What’s something which isn’t so hardcore?” Adam asked.

Lucy frowned.

Jurot narrowed his eyes. “We can have them apologise and embarrass themselves.”

Lucy smiled. “That’s sounds great!”

“That is a pretty good idea,” Adam said. “Then they need to go around and apologise, and I want them to apologise using their full names and whatever they were affiliated with. Like James, the Priest of whatever God, has decided to slander a decent man, or something along those lines.”

“You would dare try to shame my Goddess?” James growled.

“Of course it’s a Goddess,” Adam said. “Let me guess, Goddess of Love or something?”

James turned completely red. “Lady Ebony, Goddess of Love.”

Adam looked to Jurot. “I just don’t miss.”

Jurot nodded.

“Well, that would be a start,” Adam stated, firmly. “I also think I should be able to beat them a little too.” Adam cracked his neck. “Since they pissed me off.”

“Then the two of us should face them repeatedly,” Jurot said.

“Don’t forget about me!” Lucy said.

“We can’t all face them, otherwise it would be bullying.”

“So?” Lucy grumbled. “They wasted our time! I wanted a bath too.”

“True,” Adam said. “How dare they stop us from bathing.”

“We could each face them alone?” Jurot offered.

“That is a good idea,” Adam said.

“What would you suggest?” Adam asked Paul.

Paul sighed. “I could relegate them to certain quests.”

“What kind of quests?” Adam smiled.

“Hunting Rats, sweeping the streets, that sort of quest,” Paul said.

“That’s a great idea!” Adam said. “They should sweep the streets and help the people out freely for a month.”

“A month?” James said. “Without pay?”

“Yep,” Adam said. “And they should praise Fate’s Golden and the Iyr,” Adam said. “Since they decided to try and drag our name into the mud. I’ll forget about beating them, because I don’t think I should bully them that much.”

“Aw,” Lucy grumbled.

“That’s ridiculous!” James said. “Are you really going to give in to this madness?”

Paul glared down at James. “You shouldn’t forget why you’re here in the first place. From what I know of Adam, this is quite merciful.”

“Don’t make me out like some kind of beast,” Adam said. “I’m no Iyrman.” Adam looked to Mikayla and smiled.

She looked away.

“You also need to pay for the Zone of Truth scrolls,” Paul said. “All three of them.”

“D-damn it!” James growled.

Adam smiled.

“Though you should pay for half of it, Adam, since it was partly for your benefit,” Paul said.

Adam narrowed his eyes. “Then let’s increase their punishment for three months, and the Guild can put up with them until their punishment has ended.”

“Nevermind,” Paul said. “I’ve already dealt with the Guards, but I’ll send the four there to rescind their complaint formally, and I’ll make sure they don’t bother you.”

“The Guards also threatened and harassed me,” Adam said. “They also tried to pin everything on me and they didn’t give me a chance to defend myself.”

“I could imagine as much, since you’re a Half Elf. I’m surprised they didn’t cut you down where you stood, or when you began to get mouthy with them.”

Adam smirked. “Me? Mouthy?” Adam let out a soft sigh. “I got way more than mouthy before you came there. But, this was all before they found out I was a no good filthy knife ear.” Adam stared at Mikayla.

“I’ll make sure to speak with them again,” Paul said.

“I can only wonder why you asked me to drop the issue,” Adam said. “I’m a little disappointed that you asked, considering this matter was a blow against the Iyr too.”

Paul sighed. “I’m just tired, Adam. This really is so insignificant at the end of the day.”

“For you, Paul. I’m sure if the Ban family was being treated like dirt, you’d probably have something to say.”

“Right,” Paul said, yawning. “Since you can cast Fireball, that means you’re an Expert now. We can’t have you walking around with an Iron tag.”

“We are all Experts,” Jurot said.

“What?” Paul asked, staring at the Iyrman and then the Devilkin. “All three of you?”

“Yeah,” Lucy replied, smiling.

“Of course you all are,” Paul said. “Go get some sleep. I’ll deal with it all tomorrow.”

“Good night, Vice Master,” Adam said. “Good night to you too, you worthless cretins.” Adam smiled to the four other Adventurers.

Quest Complete: Dark Signs
+100XP

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fa3tMCtj.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


It's all blown over. Right?

Just a reminder that the £ is currently falling meaning subscribing to patreon is cheaper than ever! 

11