218. Tea
228 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam wrapped a scarf around his head, only revealing his face to the world.

“What are you doing?” Fred asked.

“Trying not to die,” he replied, simply. He wasn’t sure just how eager the people here were to kill him, a Half Elf, in the town which was right beside Rock Hill. ‘They probably don’t even realise I’m only half an Elf,’ he joked to himself, though he knew the truth was that they wouldn’t care.

Adam had removed most of his armour too, only keeping his breastplate, for some protection. He wore his shield against his back, the symbol of the Rot family evident, which may assist him, and his magical axe at his side.

“Hey, Fred,” Adam called, looking to the young man. “Do I look as beautiful as an Elf.”

Fred stared at Adam. ‘What’s he asking me?’ He squinted his eyes, staring at the Half Elf. “Yes?”

“Shit,” Adam said.

“You look very different to an Elf, Adam,” Jurot said. “They will not expect someone with a build like yours to be an Elf.”

“That’s true,” Fred said. “Looks like the Human half of yours is more prominent. You could be seen more like a handsome man.”

“Yeah, but, wouldn’t people around these parts recognise an Elf?” Adam asked, wondering if he could get away with tricking the people of Ever Green.

“Elves have no need to leave their domain,” Jurot said. “If Elves have stepped through these lands, it is when they were disguised as Humans.” Jurot narrowed his eyes. “They have not dared to disguise themselves as Iyrmen in some time.”

Once Adam was suited up, he grabbed his pack and made his way out, patting Fred’s back, allowing him to lead the way. “I’ve only been to Ever Green once before and only had a few minutes to admire it. This time I’m going to check it out more and buy some souvenirs.”

‘He’s really relaxed for a guy who was worried he was going to get killed,’ Fred thought, leading Adam out.

Fred led Adam to one of the market roads, where there was a long line of shops, and a handful of market stalls set up every few shops.

“Do you smoke or drink?” Fred asked.

“I don’t smoke, but I’ve drunk a little,” Adam replied.

“What about the good kind of smoking?” Fred asked, motioning to his forehead, tapping it. “The kind which makes you relaxed and allows you to forget things?”

“Not really,” Adam said. “Though I don’t mind it so much.”

“If you aren’t interested, it’s fine, but I need some,” Fred admitted.

Adam was about to make a joke, but decided against it. ‘Right. He said his family was from Rock Hill.’ Even Adam knew the limits of his jokes, not that others expected it of him.

Fred walked up to a stall and started a chat with the stall owner. He placed down three gold coins, two silver coins, and a copper coin, before returning back to Adam. “Let’s go.”

Adam blinked, but followed Fred. “What was that about?”

“Three gold for the product, two silver for the stall owner for facilitating the transaction, and a copper for the beggar who is going to let them know,” Fred explained.

“Cool,” Adam said, feeling as though he had managed to see something from the underground. ‘Cool.’ He wondered if there were more secrets of that kind of nature.

Fred brought Adam to a stall which was manned by a beautiful young woman. She was quite thin, with bright pink lips, and a dash of some yellow powder near her eyes, with a flower in her hair.

“Would you care for some tea?” she asked.

“Would I?” Adam said, smiling. “Finally.”

Her stall was made of wood, and was built in a semi circle wrapping around her. There was a tea set atop a blanket, and a pouch of loose leaf tea beside it.

“So do you sell tea and tea related accessories?” Adam asked.

“Yes,” she replied, simply. “What would you like?”

“What’s your basic tea set like?” Adam asked.

“Excuse me?”

“You know. Say you have someone new to tea, they want to buy a basic set. They want a tea set and some popular tea. Do you have a set they could buy?”

“No?” she replied, unsure of what he was talking about. “I can assist you in purchasing a tea set and some tea.”

“Alright,” Adam said. “How much for a basic tea seat then?”

“The cheapest tea set I have is a gold coin,” she replied. “They’re quite expensive, due to the materials and the production of the set.”

“What’s it made out of?”

“Iron,” she replied.

“What about clay?” Adam asked. ‘Actually, clay would be a bad idea, right? Since it’ll break in my pack?’

“I only sell Persevian clay tea pots,” she stated, staring up at him.

Adam looked to Fred.

“From beyond Aswadia,” he said.

“They are known for their great crafts, especially in relation to tea,” the Merchant said.

“How much are they?”

“Quite expensive,” she replied, simply.

“I gathered that much,” Adam said, raising his brows at her. “You got a number?”

“I don’t carry the tea pots at my stall, but if you wish to buy one, you can pay a hundred gold and you can collect it during the evening at the Adventurer’s Guild,” she said, noting his Bronze Tag.

“I can’t see the product before hand?” Adam asked.

“It is difficult to carry it in the open,” she said. “That is only inviting trouble.”

Adam grumbled quietly. “A hundred gold, eh?” Adam thought about whether he should buy something so expensive. “Let me think about it. I know that clay tea pots hold can take in the flavour of the teas brewed within it, so what’s your most delicious tea?”

“It seems you know a thing or two about tea,” she replied, suddenly smiling at him. “That’s right. There are many teas I hold, with a great many flavours. Do you have any favourite flavours when it comes to fruit, or favourite scents you enjoy?”

“Fruit, eh?” Adam rubbed his chin. “Something like strawberry? Or maybe peach?”

She brought out a few small sachets of tea at the end of a stick, and allowed him to smell them.

“Let’s go with strawberry. The Iyr has pretty nice peach wine, so I’ll stick with peach for wine, and strawberry for tea.”

“Yes?” she replied, unsure of what he was talking about.

“Then can I buy an iron tea pot, a few boxes of the strawberry tea, and then the clay tea pot? I assume the clay tea pot will be good, otherwise I’ll complain constantly.”

“As you say,” she said, revealing a small box that could easily fit in his hand. “If you drink tea once a day, this will last you a month. You can take out the cap, sprinkle a few tea leaves, about a thumbnail amount, into the cup and add in water which has been left to cool for about ten minutes.”

“Do you sell tea in bigger boxes?” Adam asked.

“I do,” she replied. “There are different sizes of boxes.” She revealed a larger box, one which was at least three times as big, and she brought out some fabric and fashioned it into a rough box shape. “I do not carry a bigger box at my stall, but I can send tea in boxes around this big.”

Adam nodded his head. “Then I want three boxes at the smallest size, and one of the largest size.”

“Yes?” the woman replied, blinking at him.

“So how much is that?”

“One hundred and twenty gold, if you are wishing to also buy the Persevian tea pot.”

“Sure,” Adam said. “You take payment in gems?”

“Yes,” she replied, unsure if Adam was messing with her.

Adam placed down the gems, which she stared at for a moment, before taking out a set of scales and measuring the gems. She returned to him two copper coins and accepted the gems.

“Thank you!” she said, quickly, as she packed up the tea and the tea seat for him. She hadn’t expected him to be such a big spender. ‘How lucky am I?’

Adam eventually packed the items up, and trusted her to send the rest of the tea to the Adventurer’s Guild, as well as the ridiculously expensive clay tea pot.

“Here,” Adam said, handing a small box of tea to Fred.

“Thanks?” Fred said.

“I can’t buy some tea without saying thanks, can I?” Adam asked, before walking off to buy some more items from the market road.

He bought some fine material and furs from one stall, and some spices and herbs from another stall, which were kept finely sealed. He spent another fifty gold on the items, sending them to the Adventurer’s Guild, who would send them back to the Iyr on his behalf.

‘Is that what it’s like to be rich?’ Fred thought, thinking about how easy it was for Adam to spend so much gold in one go. ‘Is he actually a Noble?’

When Adam returned back to the Adventurer’s Guild, he double checked his coins and his gems, as well as all the other items.

“Something’s wrong,” Adam said.

“What?” Jurot asked, sipping some soup.

“I went out to buy stuff, so shouldn’t there have been a problem?” Adam asked. “I didn’t get mugged and no one started a fight with me.”

“Should they have?”

“Well, isn’t that how it is?” Adam asked. “It’s a trope or something, right?”

Jurot stared at Adam. “Good night, Adam.” He wasn’t sure how to respond, so he chose to retreat.

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F85Gc2Ew.png


Of course there's a tea chapter.

I have another meme too, but idk when to put it in.

13