248. Adam’s Doubts
270 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Omen: 6, 12

‘I’m bored,’ Adam thought. ‘Even though it’s a terrible roll, with all the modifiers, it should be alright?’

“Are you planning on Enchanting today?” Sonarot asked as she fed her daughter.

“I may as well,” Adam said. “I should do some work at least.”

“Are you feeling lucky?”

“Not extremely lucky, but lucky enough to enchant an okay weapon.”

She nodded her head. “There is need for basic weapons always, Adam. Sir Merry is asking for basic weapons to trade for a bout with him.”

“Aren’t you afraid of him using those weapons against the Iyr?” Adam asked.

“It was thought about by the Great Elders. If they did not deny the order, then they must have viewed the benefits greater than the risks. It is not unlikely they trust Sir Merry, due to their long relationship with him.”

“Really? How did he manage that?”

“Sir Merry has always been temperate. When I was a girl, I heard of his grace and nobility. He is not like most of the Knights who walk the lands. He is hard to anger, and harder to offend. He is more earthly, and is powerful enough that many leave him be, even if they can afford to offend him.” Sonarot smiled. 

“I recall tales when I was but a girl of his feats. He has clashed with a great number of foes, names I had heard only in stories. I met one of those he had clashed with, retired on their mountain top. They spoke highly of the King’s Sword, who had shown him mercy when he had lost his mind. I know if we were in the same situation, the Iyr would have put him down.”

Adam raised his brows. He would need to ask about the stories of Sir Merry.

“He first took his position for his best friend, the current King’s grandfather. They had very little power due to the politics of Aldland, but they had changed that situation. The autonomy of many regions had decreased, and taxes and proper respect was paid once more to them. When the King passed and his son took the throne, Sir Merry remained, solidifying that power he and the previous King had earned. Then, once that King passed, he made his intentions to step down.” Sonarot fell silent for a moment, but Adam could see she was not done.

“It was not unknown that he was close to the Elves, one in particular. During the current King’s invasion against the Elves, that Elf lost her life. He retired peacefully in Ever Green, and though the King continues to ask for Sir Merry’s assistance, it has always been refused.”

“Damn,” Adam said. “The current King doesn’t seem too-“

“No,” Sonarot said, interrupting him. “Sir Merry has earned our trust, however. If he does make the mistake of pointing those weapons against us, then it is his own folly. However, the Great Elders…” Sonarot decided to cut herself off. 

“I get it,” Adam said, understanding the situation. “Sir Merry’s trustworthy, and the current King is being refused. What else needs to be said?”

Sonarot looked into Adam’s eyes and slowly nodded her head. It seemed he had picked up on the deeper context of trading the weapons to Sir Merry. 

“I… come from a country, which is technically a voluntary union of four independent countries, but no one seriously thinks that its voluntary or that they’re actually four different countries, but that’s beside the point.” Adam cleared his throat. “The country, at the height of its power, controlled a quarter of the entire world. Not the known world, but the entire planet. It was once the most powerful empire for several different religions, it was pretty insane.” Adam chuckled. 

“But… like every empire so far, it fell. It went from being the master of the seas and controlling a quarter of the world, to losing most of it. It still held some parts of, arguably, other countries, but no one was going to ask for their stuff back.” Adam smiled. “Some tried, but we had to remind them why we were undisputed world war champions back to back.” Adam laughed, slapping his knee. “Sorry, sorry, you wouldn’t understand.”

“World Wars?” Sonarot asked.

“That’s a story for another time,” Adam said. “I know the absolute basics of it, and the most important thing I know, is that we still hold the belt.” Adam chuckled.

“The belt?”

“Oh, it’s… that’s also a story for another time.” Adam sighed. “I really should tell you more about my world. Things you probably couldn’t imagine, and things I can’t even explain to you, but are absolutely true. Stuff like telephones, the internet, satellite navigation, aeroplanes!” 

Lanarot glanced at him from her mother’s chest, before pulling away since she was done. She yawned, but raised her arms up towards Adam. “Oo!”

 Adam trained lightly that morning, thinking about his world. He thought about his country, his family, and all the technologies he no longer had access to. He wondered if this world was like his previous world. He wondered if there was a mess like the Holy Roman Empire somewhere. What of the Roman Empire? The Mongols? The Aztects? He knew so little of the world, including about the land he was currently in.

“Jurot,” Adam said, over breakfast. 

“Yes?”

“When Lanarot’s older, let’s go and explore the world,” he said. “Not just the nearby lands. Everywhere.”

“That will take many years,” Jurot said. “I will explore with you, and return once I become Gold Rank.”

“Once you’re Diamond Rank, you mean,” Adam said, raising his brows at him.

Jurot nodded his head slowly. 

“You know…” Adam then looked at all the other Iyrmen, who were interested in what he was about to say. Adam smiled and shook his head. “Nothing.”

He left the group to enchant, heading to the nearby warehouse. His thoughts were stuck on his past life, the life he had been torn away from. 

“Are you okay?” Elder Zijin asked. 

“Yeah,” Adam said, picking up a sword. “I’m okay.”

Elder Zijin placed a hand on the Half Elf’s shoulder, squeezing it. “Do not work too hard, Adam.”

Adam smiled. “Yeah.”

With the gems in their place, Adam took his place on the stool. He did not begin, however, instead staring down at the sword before him. He felt the soft leather against his hand, the cool metal of the pommel against the bottom of his palm, the hilt against his index finger. 

It was all so real. 

He pulled away from his sword and looked up, looking to the sky which was funneled towards him from the walls of the shrine. He felt the gaze of an Iyrman on him, and turned to look at them. 

It was an Iyrman, a handsome Orcish fellow, who had accompanied him for one reason or another. Perhaps it was because they didn’t trust him, perhaps it was because they were making sure he didn’t die.

The Iyrman slowly nodded his head to Adam. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Adam said, staring at the Orcish Iyrman. “Hey, quick question.”

“Yes?”

“Is this…” Adam looked down at his hand. He concentrated on his memories of his current life. “Never mind.”

The Iyrman nodded, keeping their gaze on the Half Elf for some time.

‘It’s got to be real,’ Adam thought. ‘I’m definitely not in an illusion, right? I remember my first life, so there’s no way this is like those stories of people getting into a concussion and living another life. Belle definitely killed me, and I was definitely reborn, only to repeat it again. I definitely heard Aunt Sonarot cry for Jurot’s death back then. I still remember that clearly.’

Adam shook his head, letting out a huff. “Alright!” Adam raised the sword. He stared at it as the light illuminated its details. It was made of steel, or what he assumed to be steel, with a leather grip, and was fairly basic in design. Not basic because an illusion wasn’t bothered to come up with details, basic because that was what the Iyr expected of it. 

He placed the sword back down after having admired its details and began the process of enchanting. 

Mana: 18 -> 17
Enchanting Check
D20 + 7 = 27 (27)

Adam felt the Mana pour through from him into the sword, and he closed his eyes. He didn’t come to until it was early evening, before smiling down at the sword. ‘Damn. I’m definitely in an illusion.’

“What are you saying?” the Iyrman asked.

“I rolled too well,” Adam said. “Or maybe Fate is looking out for me because I was feeling kinda down.”

“Are you okay?”

It was an Iyrman Adam hadn’t seen before, but he smiled, nodding his head. “I’m okay.” He let out a sigh. “It makes me feel bad when even random Iyrmen are asking me if I’m okay.”

“Am I a random Iyrman?”

Adam stared up at the Iyrman. Handsome. Orc. Green diamond at the centre of his forehead, followed by blue tilted diamonds. Adam narrowed his eyes, noting the blue was very similar to the blue of the Rot family. He wore fairly loose robes, and carried at his side a pair of daggers, and no other weapons. “I don’t recognise your tattoo.”

“Calhuk,” the handsome Orcish Iyrman replied. “You are Adam, son of Fate, Nephew of the Rot family.”

“Yes, that is me,” Adam replied. “My reputation precedes me.”

“You are an Enchanter, it can only be so,” Calhuk said. 

“I don’t know anything about you,” Adam said. “Kinda weird.”

“Is it? We have not many interactions with one another. Though, regardless, I am no random Iyrman. I am an Iyrman, just like the Rot family.”

“Yeah, but they’re different,” Adam said.

“Different how?”

“They are my family.”

Calhuk bowed his head. “That they are.”

 


https:%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F8uQmv6x.png

Click banner for Patreon and come join my Discord too!


Geopolitics? In my story? GET OUT.

9