Forces Converge (2)
2.8k 1 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Excuse me, but please don't disturb Big Brother Nik during my time!" A little girl cradled in Nik's embrace scrunched her brows and pouted cutely at Genta. The officer could only sigh.  He had seen Mitsuko walk in and didn't want to return inside if possible. Meanwhile, surrounded by women and girls, Nik was a hard man to approach. Yes, he shouldn’t feel ill-disposed to the family caring for a person in need while making his job convenient, but his Cousin, Kaya, always had something to complain about Mitsuko.

But onto more important things.

Genta realizes that Nik is beautiful in an aesthetic sense, but he finds his popularity hard to believe. After all, it has only been a day. His hugs cannot be that good.

'I'm not bad looking myself... sigh,' Genta sighed as he smiled at the girl weakly, "Can you allow your Big Brother to talk with me for a moment?"

"No!" The girl stuck her tongue out before burying her head in a wryly smiling Nik. Patting her head warmly, Nik looked at Genta and took the initiative to speak. Today might be Nik’s only chance to converse with the man before he disappears for a week soon after.

"What can I help you with, Officer?"

Sighing, Genta glanced around and saw the irritated expression of those around him. Honestly, he felt somewhat irritated, too. There is no need to act so irrationally for hugs. Genta also takes a moment to glare back at them. He did not become an officer of the law by fearing others. Although, he and a few of his colleagues are battling a losing war against procrastination this autumn.

Still, Genta decided to keep his stop a quick one. It’s not like Nik will vanish into the thin air before they find his identity. He is an amnesiac Bishoujo Hug Attraction device! He must have some cliches following him!

"Have you been well? Do you recall anything?"

Genta pulled Nik aside and questioned him about his experience with the Souma Family. The answers pleasantly surprised the well-natured cop. And he was happy to answer a few of Nik’s questions as his cousin continued to converse with the store owner.

“What is the white box that blows air? Oh, you mean the air conditioner?”

“Ah, even learned a few Japanese words? You’re a quick learner.”

Genta would have felt suspicious of Nik If it wasn’t for his enthusiasm as he relayed his tale of mundane days. The youth was as excited as a child revealing his accomplishments to an elder brother.

 

In the shop, Kurumi strayed from Mitsuko and walked toward Megumi near one of the corner ends of the store. There, the latter was returning books to their rightful slots.

The influx of customers also meant there were many individuals who did not contribute to the tidiness of the store. Megumi was quick to pick up the slack over prioritizing her training.

Staying close to Yuuko behind the counter, Kaya stared at Mitsuko, who allowed her gaze to roam around.

"He's really made a difference," Mitsuko praised in wonder. The numbers were not frankly astonishing. But tens of customers are all that made the difference.

"Yes, I never thought this would work so well," Yuuko glanced around. She was aware of a few gazes pointed in their direction by a few men in the shop. Every business required attraction in some form or manner to succeed— Be it beauty or service. There can be some exceptions, but those are rare.

With Kaya and Mitsuko close to her, they attracted the attention of the male customers who were initially attracted by the crowd of women— young and old.

“Hee-hee,” Mitsuko suddenly giggled. Her bespectacled gaze found an aged, hunched woman browsing in the history section of the store. “He really is making waves in the market. I came here to buy a few things from Aunty Hun, but there she is. She is too carefree with her business.”

Her words made Yuuko giggle softly, but the trio soon fell silent. A young girl, still in her school uniform, approached the counter and purchased a cheap magazine.

Kaya and Mitsuko glanced at each other again before they broke into soft smiles and chuckles.

'Ehhh... creepy,' Yuuko gulped and packed another book with a formal smile while cashing it in.

"By the way, Kaya-san, I'm sorry to hear about your husband." Mitsuko offers, “But I heard he has moved on to do better… women.”

Kaya smiled in reply. "Me, too, about your husband."

"Oh, but we're together."

“I know. But it must be hard with all the business trips, right?" Kaya inclined her head with an understanding expression.

“He tries to make time for the family, but work is important, too.”

"Right, work." The light-brown-haired bespectacled woman shook her head. “So where has he gone to work this time? If I am not wrong, even the locals have become more accepting of his role in society.”

Mitsuko only offered an equally sweet smile in reply. On the other hand, Yuuko wished that the duo quit waving their dirty laundry out in the open like this— metaphorically.

"But I never took you for a bookish person, Mitsuko-san. Even in university... you were a bit wild. You did have Souko-chan at that time, right? How is she?"

"Souko is well," Mitsuko chuckled, "But I'm not here for the books. I came here to ask Yuuko if I could borrow Nik. He needs clothes."

"You're oddly familiar with Yuuko's employee," Kaya smiled.

"Well, of course. Nik is living with us for a few days."

“Of course he is.” Kaya scoffed and adjusted her glasses a bit.

“Anyway,” Mitsuko looked at Yuuko, “I hadn’t expected such a reception for Nik in the market. It would be rude to interrupt your business without any prior notice, so, if possible, would you lend me your excellent employee, Yuuko-san?”

---

"Do you often help out your mother? I'd expected you to keep on swinging that stupid stick. Ever thought of using it for something less painful?” Dead-eyed, Kurumi gazed at the apron-clad Megumi place the books on their appropriate shelves.

Unlike Genta’s heretic thoughts, Nik’s hugs had the potential to be the defining attraction of the store. Though his skills stemmed from a brutal past, they failed to damper the sensation of his hugs.

Firm and gentle at the same time. Nik’s arms pressed their backs to relieve their tensions.

Relatively taller, Nik cradled their heads against his chest without an ounce of ill intention. And it was felt by the masses. The word traveled, and many seekers of kind hugs took it upon themselves to complete this journey.

They were not disappointed.

But Megumi and Kurumi have their own ongoing issues, encouraging Kurumi to find faults in the former at every given moment.

"I keep on telling you that I did not even talk to him," Megumi scoffed, not particularly angry at Kurumi’s urge to vent. If anything, she felt a little bad for Kurumi.

"I don't really care about him," Kurumi shrugged. "All that blonde-haired duckling knew about dates was Karaoke, and his voice matched his face." She glanced and pointed at one of the books. The two of them were near the corner most shelf that... was a place for a few more ‘educational’ books.

"You ever read that?"

At Kurumi's words, Megumi looked over to the top shelf. The sight of models in sensual poses on the magazine covers and various self-help books caused her to flush. With a glare, she retorted to the smirking Kurumi in a low voice, fearing she would end up disturbing those around her, a concern that Kurumi sadly didn't share.

"No, I don't! Stop disturbing me!"

"Oh, look. A new issue of Tokyo Pleasures," Kurumi bent and picked up a magazine. Her slightly shorter skirt threatened to ride a bit higher than Megumi’s comfort, and she looked away. Kurumi, however, smirks at this and questions, "Ever think what Manabu thinks of women who prefer education to a girl with a questionable stick?"

Megumi's brows twitched as Kurumi continued with a suggestive tone, "Want me to help you find out? I could do it as easy as snapping my fingers."

"You stay away from him!" Megumi swung the flat of a thin book against Kurumi but kept a bit of distance instead of just hitting someone in broad daylight.

"You're worrying about the wrong person. Doesn't he always have those advanced classes? At least show some—"

"Kurumi, come on, I'm leaving." A soft and mature call instantly stopped Kurumi. Turning around, she found Mitsuko peeking her head from the corner of the bookshelf and waving, "It was nice to meet you, Megumi-chan."

"Ah, please visit again," Megumi bowed politely. As usual, Kurumi and Megumi didn't actually bring their mothers into their little problem no matter how much they called out to each other's families in front of each other.

"Genta-chan! We're leaving!" Kaya walked out of the store and unceremoniously pulled Genta by his arm as he scowled and protested, but all of it fell on deaf ears. Nik waved politely until Mitsuko and Kurumi walked out.

Seeing her walk away with a cool and collected expression, just like Kurumi, there was an odd expression on Nik's face, but he didn't have much thought about it. With the amount of attention Mitsuko showered him in these two days, it was refreshing not to be indulged just because he couldn't speak the local language.

Speaking of being indulged, Nik finally let down the little girl as she blushed.

"You are the best, Big Brother!" She smiled, hurriedly pecking Nik's cheek before running off.

'Ah... at least purchase something from the store...' Nik thinned his lips but shook his head and stood up. ‘I’ll have her buy two books later.’ His hugs came at a cost!

"Mom, why did Kurumi's mom come here?" Megumi finally walked out after completing her work as Yuuko sighed, "Well, she will take Nik to buy some clothes. Originally she wanted to take him today, but it's already evening, and we are in the middle of our work. He won't be coming tomorrow until later in the evening."

"And who was that other woman?" Megumi inquired curiously. It was rare to see her mother being so friendly with someone else.

"She, ehm, is my friend from when I was at University. She lives nearby and does come to the store sometimes. But she is only free during the afternoon, so you didn't know about her," Yuuko smiled and then continued, "She is the elder cousin sister of the Officer who helped Nik stay around here."

'Nik, huh...' Megumi glanced at the youth as he embraced an old woman in his arms without any reluctance. Truly, he did have a fanbase... but it was too diverse. ‘It can’t possibly feel that good to hug him.’ She shared Genta’s concern.

At this moment, a familiar customer entered the shop. A middle-aged man with greying hair and a blue suit over his relatively well-built body.

"It's good to see your business running so well, Yuuko-san," Yakima stated with a pleasant expression. He looks at Nik working his mojo on the old woman who whimpered pleasingly in his embrace. His gaze grew darker for a moment, but he calmed himself quickly. 

"Uncle!" Megumi smiled widely, "Isn't this great?" She gestures toward the influx of customers.

Yuuko smiled while looking at Megumi. The mother-daughter pair, in the end, would obviously be happy about the business booming, even if it was because of Nik. If this was a permanent situation or not still happened to be a source of worry for Yuuko. In the end, even if the recent success of her store can allow her to help Nik financially, there would still be a limit to what she can do in this scenario.

"Of course, this is great. Yuuko-san, now that you have all the help you need, maybe you can finally take a break from the store. A little rest would do you good in the long run."

Yakima's words were clearly suggestive, but Yuuko could only decline the offer with a wry expression. "Yakima-san, I still cannot leave the shop at Nik's hands alone. And Megumi barely knows the price catalog and the discount lists."

Megumi couldn't help but pout and enter her home. She is a busy schoolgirl!

Yakima sighed deeply. But instead of just leaving, he began browsing through some of the materials just to stay a little longer while inquiring a few things about Nik this time, but the more he asked, the bitter his expression grew. Yuuko might have just said that she didn't know anything about Nik, but she couldn't easily state such words bluntly because, in the end, she accepted to employ him.

As a sincere employer, she could not reveal that her amnesiac employee is retained with the promise of daily dinners.

The day came to a satisfying end once again, but this time, Yuuko was neither drunk nor did she shy from cooking up large portions, knowing fully well that the man ate as well as he helped her earn yen.

Finally, Souko returned to meet Nik. But Mitsuko’s eldest was not here to pick Nik up. She was here for help because her drunken self could not walk properly.

"Heya~ Ready to take me? Home, I mean, hehe," Souko giggled. Her jacket was disheveled, and the unbuttoned shirt from the top revealed the slightest bit of her damp cleavage. Her handbag barely hung from her body.

Fortunately, Yuuko was the one to pack up the store for the night... she didn't want Megumi influenced by such drunken behavior. Of course, the mother was unaware that her drunk self prowling the kitchen last night may have affected Megumi more than Souko ever could.

---

"Hey, come on, admit it. I'm the hottest in our family!" with her arm around Nik to support herself and his arm around her waist, Souko was beginning to realize why his hugs would be so popular. It wasn't just his face that was so 'yummy.' It was strangely his presence. The scent of her body hit Nik harder than the alcohol on her breath. She eagerly pressed her body into him. Her breasts rubbed against his chest. Her hot whispers brushed into the side of the ear. Nik would have already held her on his shoulders like a sac if this did not feel pleasant.

Souko tried to entrap him, and somehow, Nik felt it was precious. 

Due to various reasons:

One, with Souko, only paying attention to him, Nik started to feed all kinds of small objects he found near his right hand. Most of them were trash cans he could reach without bending over and attracting Souko’s attraction.

Two, Nik earlier affirmed his belief in living better than the values instilled in his previous life. While his job will see to his transportation to various worlds, he will always return here again. So, his relationship in this world mattered to him the most. Granted, he only had less than a week at the moment, but he still wanted to leave a lasting impression in various manners— Positive Impressions.

His experience concluded that being rebellious and rude would only get him so far. Souma Family, Genta, and Yuuko have been kind to him for their reasons. Knowing these reasons would not easily change his intent on living a good life here. And for that to happen, he must—

 

‘Ooh! More AP!’

His thoughts were cut short. AP’s benefits were still unknown to him as Infinity share information in bits and pieces, but seeing the numbers rise interested Nik greatly!

“Hee~ I know we can’t converse, but some reactions would still be appreciated~” Souko blows hotly in his ear.

'Hmm... the mother uses a more subtle approach except for entering the bath and exposing herself. The youngest is the most reactive by constantly trying to vie for attention, and now the eldest just uses the ace: Alcohol. But... hadn’t it been better to act a little bit dizzy-like to encourage the partner to try and touch her?'

Ever the Master of the 1000 Slutty Ways, Nik analyzed silently. To him, the odor of alcohol is barely noteworthy. He had faced the abyss... literally. And it did not smell good, so, his standards, unlike what his looks might depict, were absolutely low. No popular male escort is really allowed to have preferences. These privileges were for a few female counterparts that would help jack up the prices.

Gazing at Nik's profile with a smile, Souko began drifting into a stupor of sleep until he suddenly stopped. It was more like a jerk that even made Souko wake up momentarily, and there she saw a silhouette standing down the stairs of the street close to the corner of the turn where the street light happened to have the weakest range.

*Flicker*

*Bzzt*

*Bzzt*

The street lamp flickered constantly. The eerie buzzing noise of the street lamp filled the lonely street.

Under the flickering light stood a pale figure whose face could not be seen. Dark hair is all the duo could make out. A grey-white dress adorned the petite figure as she stood under the light.

Menacingly.

Nik and Souko glanced at each other for a moment. Fear transcended their language barrier. 

Nik had decided to live a pleasant life, and that figure did not promise pleasure in any manner.

Caution was necessary, and both of them felt unwilling to move ahead and cross that figure. 

"That's... so creepy," Souko whispered. Nik didn't understand what she said, but he could understand the emotion and agreed wholeheartedly.

Bracing against her dizzying sight, Souko straightened her back somewhat and tugged Nik away before walking toward the more acceptable path. They only sighed in relief once they encountered a group of construction workers returning from their jobs.

"What was that?"

Souko thought as the unknown pressure from her shoulder felt light, and she leaned against Nik weakly— who wasn’t faring any better. 

 

Souko felt that she might be seeing things. She was drunk, after all. It didn’t take long for Nik to carry her on his back, but as the woman drifted into sleep. He continued their way home after Souko had made sure they were on the right track after making the long cut. He continued to find small items thrown out to devour. He could make his life difficult by devouring others’ properties which might raise suspicion, but… why would he?

 

Yet, the encounter with the strange presence was etched in his mind.

 

A ghostly figure under the flickering street lamp.

 

A cold, chilling gaze that was locked on him alone.

 

Even the sight of his increased AP barely made him feel better.

 

[AP: 1.003/100]

 

He completed one objective before returning to the Souma Residence.

 

***

 

Alternate Title: The Mass Hugger; The Aged Hugging Assasin; No, You May Not Take Big Brother Nik Away!; The Freeloading Hugger; The Corner Educational Section; Kurumi is Totally Over Whatever it is— Not!; Dinner is the Ultimate Remuneration; The Ghost, The Drunk, and the Slut; Pale Encounters; Objective Achieved; Communication Barrier, Here I Come!

75