Avatar Diary— Memories of Order (1)
557 0 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Support this fanfic and read 30 advance chapters here—

Patreon.com/Fanharem

***

A/N: Yay for me to finally buck up and have a century to this fanfic, too.

Ps: It may feel like a spoiler but this is something that may confuse readers who have gone through Korra. I am not using the doormat version of Raava. Never liked it. Always thought that it looked a bit like spiritually gigantic sperm with tentacles... so yeah. So, as I'm beginning to write this chapter, I feel that a prompt is necessary for many readers so they don't feel blindsided.

***

"Another one..."

"Are we cursed by the spirits?"

"Master Pakku said that it might be a strange beast."

"What's the Avatar even doing? Isn't he supposed to deal with such a situation?"

"We need to find Nik and Sokka... but Master Pakku said that the Avatar still doesn't know how to deal with this situation."

Aang's head lowered a bit more and his shoulders slumped ever so slightly as he heard the gloomy whispers all around him. After the first Komodo Rhino that was definitely used as bait, the scouting team began to find more and more from the pack with all of their faces disappeared. This only worried everyone. Given that these circumstances shouldn't even be possible under human means, various legends and curses were instantly thought of.

Katara was the most dedicated to the search and so was Suki. Hama didn't rest, too, putting her old body through as much effort as possible. However, Aang was made to sit down within an igloo and concentrate.

Why?

Aang heard someone else speak the answer once again outside of the igloo.

"The Avatar is the bridge between the human and the spirits. He will find some way to save them."

That's all. Aang's recently enhanced hearing was hard to control in a way that Nik advised and every one expected great things from him once again.

'It's alright to run from your troubles and let them chase you... It's fun, in fact.' Nik's words emerged within Aang once again as he felt torn between the fear of failing everyone and the guilt of hoping to somehow sleep 100 years more just to evade this problem.

"Is he going to be alright?" A familiar voice attracted Aang's attention. After Nik, the only person Aang could actually find some relief with was none other than Tom-Tom. The two were children and mischievous. Not to mention, both of them found great joy in dangerous pranks.

"Leave him be. If he can do it, he'll do it. It's not the worst thing that Nik disappeared," Mai's impassive tone echoed, and Aang bit his lips.

"How can you say that?!" Tom-Tom gasped.

"Didn't you see me say that? With my lips," Mai was as uninterested as she ever was and Aang leaned back, lying on the surface of the igloo while heaving a deep sigh, "Avatar Kyoshi... what should I do?"

As Aang recalled the situation, he realized that the voice this time belonged to someone else. Sitting up, Aang frowned, "That voice knew who attacked Nik and took Sokka away. But it wasn't Avatar Kyoshi's voice... isn't the Avatar supposed to be a bridge between humans and spirits, whatever that means. Maybe I can..."

Aang closed his eyes. The last time he managed to interact with his past incarnation was when he was in trouble and in contact with something related to the said Avatar. So, maybe focusing on this voice itself may help. After all, meditation was a basic training routine in the culture of the Airbenders and Aang quickly fell into a trance.

Even without him knowing, the arrow-headed tattoos around his body and ending at his forehead began to glow gently. The sky didn't shift colors this time. Aang didn't turn into someone else. Even the air or water around Aang didn't rampage akin to a natural disaster.

There was only...

Peace.

Aang felt all his worries and fears wilt away. He recalled everything from his past and how trying to hide from his responsibilities brought him to this era. He recalled his encounter with Sokka, Katara, Nik, Tom-Tom, Bumi, Pakku, and even Sun. Some expected greatness from him. Som expected answers. Some reciprocated his friendship.

His previous guilt began to wither, too. The thought of running didn't make him feel bad anymore. It was as if he had done it a countless lifetimes and also redeemed himself innumerable times but right now, after going through these sensations, Aang only wanted to save Nik and Sokka. Not because he's the Avatar and he's supposed to do it as a part of his duties but because he would never be able to forgive himself if he didn't even try to save his friends.

"I warned you. He was there."

Aang finally heard the same voice once again. So clear that he felt the source of this voice was right in front of him and Aang opened his eyes.

---

*Huff*

*Khcch*

"They aren't here," Hama continuously huffed. She had been out of breath for a while but Pakku continued. He moved gracefully. With every wave of his hand, he would remove a thick layer of ice and snow.

The two were once again in the same region where Aang saw Sokka and Nik disappearing. Right now, Pakku and Hama had dug a wide hole that went seven meters deep. Not minding Hama's words, Pakku continued to shave off thick layers of ice and snow.

"I was afraid that your hearing is compromised," observing the utter lack of reply, Hama couldn't help but scoff and Pakku finally parted his lips, "Someone is here."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Hama, I'm in awe of your bloodbending. It is as innovative as it is dangerous and amazingly helpful in war. But... because of your nature, and as you described last night, your encounter with Fire Lord Iroh, you have just begun your path to spirituality."

"What does this have to do with anything?" Hama frowned in dissatisfaction, "I'm getting tired of your holier than thou attitude!"

"It's not that," Pakku turned and inquired, "Do you believe in the legends? For instance, the legend of Tui and La?"

"Not at all," Hama was quick to reply.

"As admirable I find your ability to bend and the viability of slightly modifying our traditions, what the Southern Tribe failed to take with them when they separated from the Northern Water Tribe was our spiritual traditions. Spirits, myths, legends... they have real history behind them."

"Huh," Hama snorted, "And spirituality leads you to believe that someone is here?"

"It's a dangerous path where I almost lost myself to. But yes... see?" Pakku smiled as he suddenly removed another layer and revealed a familiar youth laying on his front.

Hama's eyes widened as she hummed in surprise, "Well, I'll be damned."

"Let's get him up. Being buried for so long would have hurt him more than we can expect," Pakku sighed but as he turned 'Sokka,' he buckled back with color draining from his face.

"Are you—" before Hama could help Pakku up, she glanced in Sokka's direction and her heart skipped a beat in pure horror!

---

"Your eyes..." Katara's breathing turned rushed as her hands continued to rub the flat surface of a faceless youth standing still next to Pakku, "Please," she began to whimper, "Sokka! Say something!"

"Katara..." Hama whispered, her hand having only touched Katara's shoulder to calm the girl down as she shoved Hama away and held the eerily terrifying faceless youth's collar, "Sokka! Sokka... no, please... I can't lose you! Where... where did you find him! Take me there," Katara snapped in Pakku's direction with eyes red.

"Whoever did this is too dangerous to confront alone," Pakku replied with a stern expression as Katara barked, "Take me there!" she hugged Sokka, not daring to leave him even for a moment. But surprising everyone that began to crowd the entrance of the encampment was the slow but gradual movement of the entity's arm in Katara's embrace.

"W-what? Sokka! Can you hear me?" Katara inquired quickly, her expression brightening for a moment as his left, gloved hand weakly stroked Katara's cheek as it soon returned to its place once again.

Silence.

Nobody could say anything. Suki and Tom-Tom stood aside as the boy was already on the verge of crying. Suki's fists were clenched. Her expression twisted with worry and fear. Mai kept her distance but didn't have any comments. She gazed at Tom-Tom briefly, her usually gloomy expression replaced with a rare moment of confusion and a tinge of concern.

"Take me there..."

"I think I know... who did this."

Rena spoke up at this moment as she pushed through the group. Her eyes were slightly red, her gaze lasting on Sokka's faceless head. Her lips felt dry and she whispered, "My father before the war... he used to sing legends to me. My family is said to be descendants of someone related to Avatar Kuruk and this legend is deeply connected to Avatar Kuruk himself."

"Katara, we need bring Sokka somewhere warm. Let's hear Rena there," Hama gently patted Katara's shoulders as she bit her lips and nodded. A drop of a tear rolled down her cheek as she silently led Sokka through the crowd who didn't dare gaze at Sokka for long, rather fearful of legends and curses themselves as they worried that whatever may have fallen on Nik, Sokka, and the herd of Komodo Rhinos may fall on them, too.

"Yoki... call everyone back. We don't know what's out there... if we're lucky, we will find the remaining Komodo Rhinos later." Pakku glanced at Yoki who nodded with a grave expression.

"Where's Aang?" Suki inquired as someone pointed her to the igloo he was settled in but as she entered, her eyes widened in shock and she gasped, "Call Master Pakku here!"

---

"Avatar... Kuruk?"

Aang found himself within a forest. The sky was entirely amber and the surroundings felt gloomy. He stood in front of a middle-aged dark-skinned man with a broad set of shoulders and charismatic features. His eyes were blue and his clothing was similar to what the water tribe members wear. His dark hair pulled back into a man bun with a small portion underneath left untied and collected into dreadlocks.

Although this is the first time Aang met the man, he knew this individual's name as if he knew this person from the very start. The man named Kuruk was currently crouched over a small, squirrel as he fed the furry little creature some seeds in his hand. The moment Aang addressed the man, he glanced back with a curious expression and then smiled, "Such a clueless expression? My, my, young Avatar. You're going to get your face sucked in by him."

Standing up, Kuruk dusted his pants and added, "I'm sorry to hear that Roku had some troubles with his Avatar State. Kyoshi likes to pull a man down when he's at his worst. That reminds me, Kyoshi is the one who actually broke you in to your spirituality, right? Sorry. Believe me, she doesn't represent all of us." The man offered his hand as Aang held it only for his entire being to suddenly swing down.

He was actually thrown without any warning!

"Are you hurt?" Kuruk inquired with a smile and the question instantly made Aang realize... he wasn't hurt.

"Welcome to the Spirit World, Young Aang," Kuruk narrowed his eyes and spoke, causing Aang to fall in a daze as he looked around.

"The... Spirit World?"

He stood up as Kuruk chuckled, "Indeed, this is the Spirit World."

The squirrel from before finally ate the seeds at this moment and began walking away rather slowly. As it moved, Aang rubbed his eyes once again because the moment he blinked, the squirrel was replaced by a giant boar.

"Huh?"

"Spirits are naturally mischievous," Kuruk smiled as he casually kicked the boar's butt as it squealed and ran away, "Don't mind them. Now... let's discuss why you're here."

"Ah, right. Nik and Sokka, ehm, my friends, they're in trouble. I heard your voice and then—"

"You didn't hear me," Kuruk shook his head, "You heard my resentment. That's who I became before my death, a resentful man who resents spirits. Especially... the face stealer Koh."

A deeply ashamed expression touched Kuruk's face as he shook his head and turned away, "Young Aang, it shouldn't be me. No matter what happens, my resentment should not reach you. Leave. Find another incarnation. There are a few other than me who have had interactions with Koh."

"What? No, please, listen!" Aang gasped, "I don't know what to do. I don't know how to contact anyone— I don't—"

Not facing Aang, Kuruk whispered, "You have done it countless times, Aang. So have I. Search and you shall have your answer because... we are all with you even if separated."

"Avatar Kuruk," Aang sighed, "I heard you, not others. Not even Avatar Kyoshi. Please, help me. If something happened to them while I... meaning, you, could help then I'd never forgive myself."

"It's bigger than Koh, Aang. Your friend caught something disgustingly impressive and now he has to fend himself off not only from Koh but also other primordial spirits such as the Spirit of Swamp that connects past, present, and the future, and even the likes of Ra." Kuruk groaned, "And to think you'll ask the laziest one of us all."

"Huh?" Aang blinked, "The Laziest?"

"Well, let's just say I was too free-spirited to be bound by responsibilities when I was young," Kuruk turned around and he suddenly looked a decade younger than before, "And it turned into a bad habit. Fine, let me tell you what I feel about Koh but remember, it will be biased. And start meditating more and try to connect with Roku, I don't want to have to deal with your doubts... I've had my fill of being the Avatar."

There were just so many questions in Aang's mind now. The moment Kuruk said something that should be the most obvious thing in the world, Aang's list of questions would only grow.

Kuruk walked around Aang with his thumb and index holding his chin as if pondering how to best explain the situation.

"Um... Avatar Kuruk—"

"Call me by my name Aang," Kuruk interjected, "I'll keep it as concise as possible. The origin of Koh, that is. While the Avatar is the great bridge between humanity and spirits, before humans themselves, there existed mighty spirits that have become the foundation of life itself and are much older than the spirit of Avatar."

"The spirit of Avatar?" Aang inquired with a puzzled expression, "You will know soon enough," Kuruk smiled and pointed, "These spirits are collectively called Primordials. Of them, there is one particular spirit that defines every living being with an identity. The spirit who separates one into many— Mother of Faces."

As Kuruk spoke up, the trees around him began to bend and twist into a strange entity. The trees intertwined to form a figure with many faces as Aang watched everything with a sense of awe.

"Hmm... the spirit looks more dignified than this cheap imitation," Kuruk looked at the wooden figure and added, "This is the spirit who gifts every living being with an identity. A face. Thus, she came to be known as the Mother of Faces. She is a gentle spirit that does not harm if her patience and grace are not tested. Yet, her offspring was birthed without any identity itself.

A being with no face who came to despise all of his mother's creation and turned to steal from the fortunate ones the very thing that this gentle spirit gifted— their faces.

This was the birth of Koh, the Face Stealer."

The surroundings began to shift slightly. The originally dull but still living trees began to wither and the temperature around Aang rose greatly, "The envious little critter who stole the face of my lover," anger flickered in Kuruk's eyes as his expression twisted with rage, "An ungrateful wretch that I couldn't slay for it meant slaying the only remaining living aspect of my lover."

Kuruk looked at Aang, "Aang, Koh is capable of stealing faces of living beings and spirits alike who shows the tiniest expression on their faces. Remember, face Koh with a calm heart. It took me everything to keep an impassive expression when dealing with Koh... sigh, but as I said before. This is bigger than a single spirit and your friends."

"What does that mean? I could feel it. It's something about Nik, right? Ever since we met now, he can bend elements... but I feel its not only water, but air, too—"

"He's free to do anything," Kuruk interrupted Aang and remarked clearly, "He can bend Air. He can bend water. He can bend any other element or source of spirit. The metaphysical shackles that restrict living beings and spirits alike cannot restrict him and this makes other spirits envious of him... or rather, what's inside him.

Even the Fog of Lost Souls has finally stopped supporting this being and it fell prey to Koh.

If you wish to understand everything... you must look past your previous incarnations."

Kuruk narrowed his eyes while Aang's vision began to turn blurry.

"W-what's going on?!" He called out hastily as Kuruk's voice seemed to have gotten a strange... effect. Kuruk's eyes glowed momentarily as his voice felt like they hid the word of multiple individuals at once, "You must look past us. Right before the time of Avatar. When we freed... freedom."

***

A/N: You can skip it but then again, if you're interested in my thought process, you can read ahead.

1) Mother of Faces and Koh's story felt more like the tale between god and Lucifer and I think that's what the original intention was in the first place. Even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter. I'm going in that direction already.

2) Now, a few of you may be confused about how the Avatar spirit actually works. The lack of clear answers... well, there are clear answers in both Avatar the last airbender and the Legend of Korra and they contradict a little so I just made something entirely different that could work.

The soul of Raava and Wan are fused. Or precisely, the Spirit of Raava and Wan's soul are fused and they reincarnate continuously in an eternal cycle. We know that this chain can be broken if an Avatar is killed in their Avatar state but that doesn't mean Raava dies. She will be born again but the cycle of Avatar will end. Raava also holds the memory of every Avatar and it is suggested in both the series, especially Korra, that most of the time, the Avatar isn't conversing with the real spirit but an ego made from the said Avatar's experiences.

For example, when Aang was on the Lion Turtle and summoned the spirits of the past Avatars.

However, there are also instances where Aang found the spirit of past Avatars in the spirit wilds or he is actually sought after by them. For example, when Roku used his dragon to convey to Aang how to meet him. Or when Aang meets Roku regarding Koh. Or even the time in comic books describing the adventure Aang had in the spirit world during his coma which he was made to forget all about in the show.

For these reasons, I'm going with this version of Raava and the cycle of Avatar:

1) Raava's Spirit and Wan's soul are still fused and it is the thing that reincarnates itself.

2) Raava stores memories of past Avatars and their experiences which are fully displayed in the Avatar state.

3) Once an Avatar dies, they have too much strength to be just turned into a human baby once again. For this, while the memories are stored in Raava, the experiences and memories on Wan's soul are stripped and they turn into the very spirit of Avatars that are connected to the current Avatar. For instance, once Kuruk died, he turned into a spirit and was connected to Kyoshi due to both of them sharing Wan's soul. This gives me a reason to have autonomous avatars all around and also the concept of each Avatar residing within the next Avatar.

30