Volume 2 Chapter 5: Part 1: Reminisce Of Her
331 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 2 Chapter 5: Part 1: Reminisce Of Her

 

"Do you understand?"

 

"Yes," Onyx says with a meek voice. He doesn't know how long Madelyn lectured him. But it's long enough to make his legs numb. 

 

"Do you really understand?!" Madelyn stares down at Onyx. 

 

"Yes! I won't ever do multiple quests all at once!" Onyx screams out. He knows if he doesn't say anything, he will be subjected to another round of yelling. No way was he going to go through something like that. 

 

"Good." Seeing his expression, Madelyn can only sigh. She continues, "For the 50 goblins, you'll earn 5 silver coins. For the 12 variants, it's 1 gold coin. And the goblin king, it's at least 1 gold coin. For the rest, I need to check up on it."

 

Madelyn doesn't need a tool to estimate how much the goblins would earn for Onyx. But for the others, she'll need to use a tool to analyze them. She takes out the coins,

 

"Can you take half of the coins from the goblins and variants and give it to the Blue Cats," Onyx says as he points at Ryan and the rest.

 

Ryan quickly waves his hand, "We don't need it, Onyx! We didn't even do so much." They were only there as a decoy. They did kill goblins, but it was only a fifth.

 

Besides the goblin, Onyx gave them a portion of earnings from the variants.

 

It's too much. 

 

"You guys played great decoys. So take it." Ryan and his group did draw in a large number of goblins. The Blue Cats didn't kill as much as Onyx. But what they did allow Onyx to focus on killing the variants and the king. 

 

So getting a portion from the variants is justified. 

 

"Thank you so much, Big brother Onyx!" Ryan and the rest bow their heads towards Onyx. 

 

"..." Onyx stays silent. You do know I'm younger than you, right?

 

Voicing out what Onyx wanted to say, Stewart laughs, "Ryan, you shouldn't be calling Onyx your older brother. He's technically your younger brother." 

 

"Huh?" Ryan looks at him and tilts his head in confusion. 

 

"Sit down. You're going to hear all of it." 

 

"What the?! There's a variant thunder bear!" Madelyn's scream stopped everybody from talking. As she searched through the pile of corpses, she saw the variant. 

"Oh yeah. While I hunted down the thunder bears, a variant was sleeping in the cave too." Onyx says nonchalantly.

 

"..." Can you not say this so nonchalantly? A variant was much stronger than the regular type. For him to say it so casually just baffled the rest. 

 

"Onyx." 

 

"Hmm."

 

"Kneel again." 

 

"...Ok." Ony doesn't say any back talk and just knees back on the ground. 

 

He has no words he can say to the demon-like Madelyn. 

 

"Ok. While Onyx is getting a lecture, I need to explain it." Stewart isn't commenting on what he's seeing again as he turns to Ryan.

...

"So Onyx is younger than me? And not only that, he's a D-rank adventurer as well." Ryan looks up into the sky. He can't believe it. Looking at how he was getting lectured again, Onyx doesn't look like the same confident person who took out the goblin king. 

 

Though he has to.

 

"Anyways! Let's party now!" Ignoring the thousand-yard stare from Ryan, Reynold screams out! 

 

"We, the Scarlet Lynx, will pay for all the booze today! So drink to your heart's content!" 

 

"Rey-" "Yahoo!" The screaming and shouting coming from the adventurers drowned out Stewart's words. 

 

Stewart's expression turns into a losing one. He can't stop it now. Lucia's expression turns dark as she glares at Reynold. 

 

Their budget is about to go into the red again. 

...

"I think I'm going to call this a night now," Onyx says as he gets up from the table. 

 

"Aww, come on, Onyx. We still have more to party!" Reynold says. His face is red from all that alcohol. 

 

It's only the start of the party!

 

"I've got to return the cart back to the guard." Onyx smiles. 

 

"I see. Then be safe then!!!" Reynold screams out as he dashes into the center of the party!

 

Onyx doesn't say anything else and leaves. It doesn't take long to return the cart to the guards. 

 

"Kid, if you need the cart again, just ask one of the guards."The captain of the guards shouts out to Onyx as he leaves. 

 

"Thanks!" Onyx waves back at him as he walks back to Crescent Moon. But he isn't taking the same route he took to get there. He wants to explore a bit more. 

 

It has only been a few days since arriving in Advent City. Lucia showed him some interesting stores. But it was time for him to explore around himself. 

 

As he walks through Advent city, 

 

There are more houses here. 

 

Looking at the street, Onyx notices more houses and hotels around here. 

 

Also, some houses have insignia either on top of the house or the front door. Party homes? This is the city of adventurers. Of course, parties will have an emblem on their home to show where they live. 

 

Onyx doesn't think much about this. He continues to walk straight and out of this section. And right out there, he went back to the bustling stalls. 

 

Each owner tries to rope Onyx to their stall. And Onyx doesn't refuse any of them. 

 

He has even more money after the goblin king's defeat. 

 

It doesn't take long for Onyx to have two large bags. Seeing how the food is about to fall out of the bag, Onyx sits on a bench. As he sits there, he looks at the food in shock. Will I be able to finish it all? But then, 

 

Wow! That food is so delicious! Onyx knows if Irene was there, she would have a sparkly expression as she looked at the food. 

 

But she isn't there. Onyx's face turns a little wry as he remembers Irene. 

 

"Hey, kid. Why are you making such a depressed face?" A stall owner notices the wry expression plastered on Onyx's face. 

 

"Nothing. I was just remembering something."

 

"Oh. Wait, aren't you the guys who beat up Galven?!" The stall owner only needs a few seconds to recognize Onyx. His looks are something that made him stand out a lot. 

 

"Yeah." Onyx nods. 

 

The stall owner then pats Onyx on the back, "Thanks so much, kid! That Galven was causing so much trouble. You beating him up gave me a great laugh." 

 

Hearing this, Onyx smiles, "It was nothing."  

 

"What do you mean nothing? Am I right, guys?!" The stall owner shouts out, and the others shout out as well. 

 

"Yeah! Galven and his group would always eat food. But then they never pay and say, "Put it on our tab.""

 

"The amount of times he did that at my stall is in the three digits!"

 

"Whenever we say anything about it, he would destroy our stalls!"

 

Hearing all of that, Onyx got the picture. How much of a bully were you? He can't believe Galven would be such a guy. 

 

"See? What you did to Galven brought so much relief for us. So have fun! And take this drink with you. On the house!" The stall owner shoves a drink towards Onyx. 

 

And it doesn't end there; the other vendors begin to pile on the food again!

 

Heh. Onyx can only smile from this. He accepts the drinks, and he starts munching down on the food. He can't stop. Not right now. 

 

"Everyone! I will be the one treating you guys! So eat to your hearts' content!" Hearing that, the customer cheered. Onyx knows he can't be sad right now. 

 

Onyx looks over at the vendor, "Here! This should cover it!" What he gave them was a couple of gold coins. 

 

"Sir, this is too much."

 

"It's for everybody. I want everybody here to let loose!" The more Onyx screamed, the more the people around did the same. The partying went on for a while. 

 

But Onyx sneakily left, not wanting to destroy the atmosphere. He continues to walk back to the Cresent moon and, 

 

Where am I?

 

Onyx doesn't realize it until now. 

 

But he got lost! Well, almost.

 

Oh, there's light over there. When Onyx walks over to the light, he instantly regrets it!

 

"Oh, my! Aren't you a little cutie!"

 

"How about you come and play with this big sister here? I'll show you a good time."

 

"Can't you feel the muscles on his body?! He's so tough!" 

 

The place Onyx arrived in front of was filled with women. All of them were wearing the loosest dresses, showing everything off. What's more, a couple of them latched onto Onyx, touching him everywhere!

 

Need to get out of here!

 

"Sorry, but I have something else I need to do!" Onyx quickly backs away from them and dashes off. They were getting too handsy with him, and he wasn't going to have any of that. 

 

But then, another problem came up. 

 

"Now, where do I go?" His running around got him lost even more! And this time, the place he goes to is much more shady and dark. There are even some people eyeing him with bloodlust. 

 

Onyx can feel it. Don't even think about it. He places his hand on his sword. If anybody attacked him, he would shut them down instantly. 

 

"Tch!" And those guys felt it too. That's why they walk away from Onyx. To them, Onyx is a fish too dangerous to catch. 

 

Seeing them quit, Onyx sighs in relief. Good, they got the message. Now I need to figure out how to leave. The next thing he has to do is figure out how to get out of here. 

 

It's too dangerous to continue to stay here. But the worst thing to do in this situation was to walk deeper. And that's what Onyx did. The more he walked in, the more he found it strange. 

 

So there is a place like this in Advent City. Never did Onyx expect something like this to be here. 

 

Slaves. That's what Onyx witnessed. He sees people caged up like a bunch of animals. 

 

Onyx has no words to describe it. He knows it is common. However, he has never seen one before. In his village, there was nothing about it. 

 

Only when he arrived at the Royal Capital was when he got taught about slavery.

 

I should go. Onyx doesn't want to stay here any longer. As he was about to leave, he stopped. 

 

It's as if time stood still as he stared at someone. Irene? That's the only feeling Onyx gets as he stares at the woman in the window. But that woman is not Irene. 

 

Instead of the golden platinum hair, the woman has brilliant silver hair. Her eyes are aqua blue eyes reminding him of the sky. Despite the dirt around her face, it doesn't degrade her beauty. 

 

If Irene is a pure and innocent beauty, the person in front of him is a cold and distant beauty. 

 

Onyx can't believe it. The two of them didn't look the same. 

 

Completely nothing at all. 

 

Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump!

 

And yet, Onyx's heart is beating faster than ever before. She reminds Onyx so much of Irene. 

 

Onyx isn't the only one as the woman gazes back at Onyx. Her face is full of wonder as she stares at Onyx. 

 

"Hello, good sir. Are you here to purchase anything today?" Onyx breaks out of his gaze. He turns over to see a merchant looking at him. 

 

"Ahh, I was just looking around."

 

"Young sir, we have loads of people for you to choose from. We have many beauties from different races!" The merchant does his sales pitch. But that just puts off Onyx even more as he backs away. 

 

"Sorry, I don't have any intentions of buying. I just got lost." Onyx doesn't say anything else as he quickly runs away from there. Before he leaves, he gives one last glance at the girl. And she does the same too. 

 

But that's it as Onyx quickly dashes away. 


Check Out Patreon For Extra Chapters ^^

7