Chapter 6 – The Easy Way Or The Right Way
473 10 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey everyone! Here is the 2nd of 3 chapters I have planned for the week. I set a goal for this previous Sunday to get 3 chapters done for each of my stories, but I really underestimated how much I wanted to write and how long it would take. I probably could have made shorter chapters or rushed them a bit, but you all deserve quality and I am not willing to sacrifice that. 

Either way, I plan on completing these 3 chapters for you all by the end of this week. I hope you enjoy this one!

Chapter 6 – The Easy Way Or The Right Way

When we arrived back from my Grandparent's manor, a scene of pure comedy awaited. 

"W-What is that? You caught an Arcanine? Are you insane!?!"

"Canine!"

"Go away! Go away!"

"Arcanine?"

"No, I don't want to play, you flea-infested mongrel!"

"Ar-Arcanine!"

"Don't nip at my tail! Ahhh! Jessie, James, I am going to kill you!"

Persian ran around the house in a panic as a large dog Pokemon bounded after him barking and nipping at him playfully. 

 *Crash* *Bang* *Yooooooooowl*

Mom, Dad, Rose, and I walk into the house, Rose's yet unnamed baby Growilthe in her arms and Pyra behind me to the right. 

The scene that greets us will give me a good laugh for years to come. 

Persian is pinned to the ground with 1-foot wide paws on his arms as the giant Arcanine, Growlie, licks the fur on his face excitedly. The kitchen is a mess, with chairs and broken plates all over the floor and the giant dog pokemon's wagging tail keeps hitting a knocked-over chair with a loud *Twunk* *Twunk* *Twunk.*

Persian, whose face is nearly sopping wet with drool, gives my parents a death glare as he says very quietly and slowly, "Get. Him. Off. Of. Me. NOW."

I can't help it.

*Pfffft*

I start laughing.

Not just a light chuckle, but full-bodied, rolling-on-the-ground laughter. The day had been so chaotic and this was the perfect end to it.

Pyra chuffs in amusement with me and Rose starts giggling as well.

My parents, on the other hand, have pale faces as they witness the murder in Persian's eyes.

Clearing his throat, my Dad calls back Growlie with a, "T-That's enough, boy. I-I don't think he is in the mood to play..."

I laugh all the harder as Growlie gives Persian one last slobbery lick before removing his paws and sauntering over to us. He sits on the ground, nearly coming up to my Dad's chest at sitting height, with a happy little dog smile on his face. 

'He totally knows what he just did, doesn't he? You go, Growlie! Assert your dominance!' I think internally as I wipe tears from my eyes. 

Persian raises from the ground, shakes off the drool, glares at us all one last time, then disappears somewhere deeper into the house. 

Dad sighs and leans down to pet Growlie's head. "While I am glad you are excited for a new playmate, Growlie, I think you just made an enemy for life instead..."

Growlie just continues to smile.

'Yup. He totally did that on purpose.'

The puppy Growlithe in Rose's hand barks cutely, and Growlie nuzzles her and Rose gently. 

"Well...I was going to say it feels good to be home...But I am now really scared of what Persian is going to do to get back at us..." Mom says with a sigh.

***

Everyone, except for Rose, had to replace their bedding over the next week as it was shredded beyond comprehension mysteriously. The culprit was never found, or should I say, never looked for. 

* | * | *

Normalcy quickly returned to the Cambridge household.

I went to school, trained Pyra with Lara, Jess, and our friends, and started a new workout routine as I had planned. 

I had done some research online and found that, over the age of 5-6,1Remeber that they grow and mature 2 years faster! I could do pretty much any light workout I wanted. Since I was only 7 now, I wasn't too concerned about bulking up, and just decided to follow a simple calisthenics plan consisting of thorough stretches, pushups, bicycles, squats, planks, and a mile-long run daily. 

...I won't lie...It was not fun in the beginning. Besides the run, which was only slightly longer than what I was already doing, the other workouts made my body ache something fierce. 

The one thing that kept me going was the memory of past-life-me looking into the mirror and hating what he saw. I had a chance at a new life and, dammit, I was gonna live it to the fullest! That meant getting into and staying in shape.

Not to mention the practicality of such efforts! 

I planned to travel the world, explore the plains, forests, mountains, marshes, and oceans, and discover all the amazing people, places, and Pokemon I had only seen through pixelated images in the past. Arceus, the Pokemon planet name, was huge and I wanted to see everything I possibly could of it. 

I thought that, maybe, my friends would like to join me in this new self-training lifestyle...boy was I wrong.

Lara: ...I am training with my Mom in the mornings for my acting and modeling career, sorry... 

(Turns out she was lying, but her Mom had overheard her when she said it as we were hanging out at her house. Serena thought it was a great idea and insisted Lara do exactly that. I will never forget the glare she sent me the day of her first workout session - That's what I call karma!)

Jess: Ha! Hahahahaha Hahaha...That was a good one!

Kimmy: Wow! That is super sweet...I'm okay though! Thanks for the offer!

Courtney: Ew.

Me: ...

It seemed I was alone in this endeavor. 

But, I persevered, and after a month of pushing myself and continuing with the training, pausing only when my body was super sore so that it could recover, I discovered something I had never expected:

I liked working out!

...No, really! I swear!

It took me getting over the fact that I was actually doing it and working through the first two weeks, which were the hardest, but the feeling of blood pumping through my veins and the high of success I felt after I completed each session made it...almost addicting. 

In fact, I had nearly as much fun working out as I did training with Pyra!

Speaking of Pyra, she was very confused when I first started. She would watch me with a puzzled expression and a cocked head as I did my exercises. It was honestly adorable.

She had no idea what I was doing, and I had to explain that I was training myself before she understood...and looked at me like I was crazy. But, after a couple of days of doing it, she started to try to join me like the loyal friend she was. 

I was very touched by that.

The problem was that I always did my workouts after training her, so I felt bad that she wanted to work out with me right after already doing so much herself.

Pyra wasn't just battling, after all. I had a strict training regimen we would follow that consisted of a quick warm-up session, running a couple of laps around the grassy field by my house, practicing each of the moves she has learned so far as well as unique ways and variations she could use them in different situations, mock battles, and then an obstacle course that I would set up and change weekly. 

The course was nothing fancy, just outlines in the dirt, logs for her to jump over or maneuver around, and practice dummies I had made from sticks, sand, and old sacks I got from our local supermarket before they threw them out.

Lara and Jess would usually join me for part of or all of the training with their Pokemon, but, rain or sun, Pyra and I would do this almost every day.

The point was, she was doing a lot already and I didn't want to force her to do even more! I never wanted to burn her out or injure her from over training...

This lead me to tell her to stop, and rest while I did my own workouts. 

Pyra was not happy with this, however. 

At first, she pouted and got upset, thinking I was leaving her out of something fun. After I explained that I wasn't, and that I wanted her to rest because she always did such a good job with her own training, her mood improved. Unfortunately, she was just as interested in training her body as I was in training mine. 

She seemed to vehemently disagree with me that doing this as well would put too much strain on her body and kept trying to join, even with me telling her not to.

It got to the point where I had to start ordering her to stop and relax so that she would actually do it...To which, she would always sulk, and I would feel a bit helpless. 

When I had continued for 2 weeks, and when she saw I was starting to have fun with it, it got even worse. Pyra would straight up ignore my orders and joined me anyway, even though she had no idea what she was actually doing or how it could potentially affect her. She would just mirror my movements and snort at me when I told her to stop.

Needless to say, I was worried for her. I had no idea if the workouts that were good for humans were good for Pokemon, and the information I found online was inconclusive, to say the least. 

That is when I decided that I needed to talk with someone with more experience on the matter, and, lucky for me, there was one close by: Mr. Adam Rook, my next door neighbor. 

I would often see him in his backyard working out with his Primape in the evenings after my practices with Pyra since his back fence was made of only iron bars, so I knew that he should have some ideas.

We had talked a bit in passing over the years and my family had even invited him over for dinner a couple of times. He was a really nice guy who did some contract work with the Pokemon League, and that is how he made his fortune and bought his house next to ours. 

As a quick tangent, the gated community Lara and my families lived in was called Mimeville and it was one of the wealthier neighborhoods of Pallet city. It got its name because of the community security team that was led by 5 Mr. Mimes as well as several other Psychic Pokemon working under them. The gates of the community may be decorative, but the shields these Pokemon could put up if needed were not anything to scoff at. Needless to say, such protection was not cheap. 

My parents had worked really hard to afford this house, only getting it in the end because it had been on the market for over a year and they received a sizeable loan and recommendations from Ash and Serena. This was one of the many reasons they felt so indebted to their once enemy, and they never forgot that kindness. 

...I am not completely convinced that Ash did this out of the kindness of his heart and not, rather, because he wanted to keep a close eye on the pair...but, either way, whatever suspicions he may or may not have had at the time have transitioned into true friendship and trust over the years since then. 

As mentioned earlier, Ash also helped my parents get their first real jobs after their forced retirement from Team Rocket. (Nearly all of a criminal organization's leadership being arrested can do that to one's career prospects.) But the new positions that my parents have earned for themselves were done completely through their own effort and hard work. 

My Dad was a bit of a mechanical genius and was the one who built all those crazy contraptions they used as Team Rocket. So, after agreeing to come with him to Pallet City, Ash had suggested him to the Pokemon League R&D Department for the Kanto Region 10 years ago. James had worked tirelessly to prove his worth and was an incredibly valued asset to the League. He helped to invent several new technologies within the department and earned Region-wide fame, at least among other engineers. 2 years ago, when his supervisor decided to retire and the position opened up, Dad was accepted as the new Lead Engineer of the department. I will never forget the day he came home, head raised proudly, and announced his new position...He even held back the tears for nearly 10 minutes!   

Mom had really struggled. Jessie had no formal education past the very basics and did not have the benefit of my Father's talents. So, when Ash recommended her as a Criminal Justice Professor for the newly established Dragonite University 10 years ago and justified it purely based on her past experiences alone, it had been a tough sell. Jessica, however, was not one to back down from a challenge, and she did not disappoint.

In her first year, she would teach from the book in the mornings and afternoons, then study for her own degrees at night. From then on, she became more confident and as able to share her actual experiences as an Ex-Team Rocket member to tie concepts to reality. It turned out she had a real knack for it and all her students loved her. She still stuck with studying after school, however, as she was determined to get the diplomas she needed to feel like she belonged there. All of this while being newly married and, in her third year and sixth years of teaching, pregnant with my sister and me. She only took a maternity leave of 1 month when she had her kids before returning to her work and schooling, that was how dedicated she was to bettering herself and her family's future. With the occasional assistance of Ash and Serena, my Dad would take care of Rose and me for most of our early years as Mom wouldn't get home until well after 10 pm. Through pure effort and determination, mom earned this world's equivalent to a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice in just 6 years, and now she sat as the Dean of the Criminal Justice Department.

I had mentioned that I was proud of both of them, and, perhaps, the reason why is more apparent now.

Back to Mr. Rook.

I had no idea what he did for work, but that didn't really matter. He worked out with his Pokemon almost every night, so it seemed I had the perfect person to consult about this new problem I had with Pyra.  

The issue I faced?

...In my past life, I had been very anti-social. 

I was able to get around this in my current life due to my family and through Lara, who I had known since I was a baby, but when it was just me, I felt extraordinarily nervous when interacting with someone for the first time.

It had gotten better with practice and age, but I was still only 7, so who could blame me for being a bit nervous to talk to an adult I hardly knew?

It took me an entire week to work up the courage and, with my Mom accompanying me as any responsible parent should, I visited Mr. Rook's house one evening after my practice with Pyra. I returned her to her Pokeball for this conversation as I didn't want her thinking she was in trouble or something. I planned to explain everything to Pyra once I had an answer myself.

"Oh, hello Mrs. Cambridge, Finn. What can I do for you both today?" Mr. Rook asks politely when he answers the door. His voice is deep and his tone is serious but still kind and respectful. 

"Um...Hi! I'm...F-Finn...." I start, realize I sounded like an idiot, and force myself to take a deep breath before continuing. Mom pats me on the back reassuringly but doesn't offer to take over. I wanted his help, so I was going to have to ask for it on my own. 

I try again, this time looking him in the eye and forcing myself to calm down.

"Hello, Mr. Rook, I was wondering if you might be able to assist me with a problem I am having with my Pokemon, Pyra?"

"Certainly, if it is within my power. What issue are you facing?" Mr. Rook answers with interest. 

I then explain to him my workout routine, why I am doing it, and that Pyra is wanting to join in. I also have to explain my training routine with Pyra so that he understands my concerns.

When I am done with my tale, I finish with, "So...I wanted to ask if you would be willing to help train Pyra and me...So that we can work out together from now on?"

"Yes, of course!" He exclaims to me excitedly, "I would love to be your instructor! Firstly, you need to know that Pokemon are not Humans, Finn. If Pyra says she has the energy to continue, she probably does. Pokemon have incredible stamina and recovery abilities innate to themselves. That being said, I am glad you visited and asked. They require unique equipment if they want to train their bodies. I happen to have all the equipment in my backyard and it would be an absolute honor to have such a hardworking and dedicated trainer and Pokemon as my workout partners! Butch, my Primeape, and I have been working out together for over 20 years and I have traveled to many different regions due to work and picked up on some tips and tricks here and there."

He then looks to my Mom and continues, "So long as it is alright with your Mother and Father, that is."

"Of course, Adam. We have been neighbors and friends for nearly 7 years now, and I trust your expertise in this. Arceus knows James and I are clueless when it comes to strength training." Mom says with a laugh.

"Excellent, Excellent! But, Finn, I have one stipulation." He says as he leans down to get to eye level with me.

"O-Okay!" I say, feeling slightly nervous again. 

"It is a dream of mine to be able to work out like this with my own son or daughter at some point, and I would like to hear your opinion as we progress. I need to know that I am not pushing you too hard or whenever you don't understand something, so can I trust you to tell me whenever something is too much or confusing?" He asks with a sparkle in his eyes.

"Oh, alright! Sure!" I answer back. That was unexpected of such a stoic man, but not anything difficult.

"I didn't know you were married, Adam?" Mom questions, interested in the neighborhood gossip as always.

"Ah...I'm not. I don't even have a girlfriend, truth be told..." Mr. Rook says awkwardly, scratching his cheek. "But it is never too early to practice!"

"Hmm..." My mom says with a smirk making its way onto her face as she eyes him up and down. "Well, who knows~! You might find someone at any moment. I think it is wonderful that you are planning for the future already." She finishes and I can't help but think she is up to something. 

"Thank you, Mrs. Cambridge. A man can dream." He answers with a charming laugh before looking back down at me.

Adam Rook stood at 6'2" (~188 cm) and was a well-built, attractive man. He was either in his late 20's or early 30's and had medium-length, wavy brown hair with bangs that parted in the middle of his forehead. His eyes were dark brown, nearly black, and gave him a serious, but not unfriendly, look about him. He was currently wearing a white button-down shirt and black slacks, having come home from work recently, but most of the ladies in the neighborhood liked to see him in his tank top as he worked out. He was quiet and kept to himself most of the time, and was constantly a topic my mother and the other gossiping women spoke about. Almost everyone wanted to know more about the mysterious handsome man. In other words, he was a very eligible bachelor. 

Spoiler

Adam Rook - Occupation: Unknown - Likes to work out and ladies like to watch him.

https://static.zerochan.net/Kotomine.Kirei.full.3592865.png

[collapse]

"Well, Finn, I was just about to go out now, would you like to start today?" Mr. Rook asks me with a smile as he stands up straight and moves to the side in an open invitation. 

I was already in comfortable workout clothes from my training with Pyra, so it was fine with me!

"Yes! Thank you!" I answer back excitedly. 

"Will you be joining us, Mrs. Cambridge?" He asks as he focuses on my Mom again. 

"As much as I would love to, I need to get dinner started. Make sure to be back by 8 PM, Finn." She warns with a stern expression, waiting for my response before kissing my forehead and leaving.

'What? I only stayed out past curfew training like 12 or 13 times!' I complain internally but respond with a nod instead of voicing my complaints.

Mr. Rook takes me through his house quickly, stopping only at his kitchen to get us both giant water bottles, then leads me out back where all his equipment is set up under a patio. 

I let Pyra out of her Pokeball and explain the situation to her as Mr. Rook does the same with Butch, his Primeape. Pyra is excited at the prospect while Butch simply nods and turns to look at her as if sizing her up. 

Pyra is fascinated by all of the strange metal contraptions around her, but I can also tell that she is intimidated by the huge, bulky Pokemon across from her as it stares her down. 

Each of the more complex equipment pieces has its own cloth cover, and Mr. Rook takes a second to pull several of those covers off before turning to me with a serious expression.

I stop gawking and face forward, not any less intimidated by his expression than Pyra is of Butch's.

"Now, Finn. It is time for you to make a decision." Mr. Rook says finally with a grave tone after a long pause. "I can teach you both one of two ways and only together can you decide which is best."

Pyra and I gulp in unison, share a look, then nod as we look forward and focus completely on him. 

"If you and Pyra only want to look good and be moderately in shape, I know several workouts we can plan that will do it. It is the easy way and takes the least amount of dedication. It is also what will take the smallest amount of time from you, as you can complete the workout regiment in as little as 3 one hour sessions a week."

"However, if you want to learn the right way, what is taught to professionals, I can do that as well. I need you to know, however, that it will not be easy. You will need to work out with me 5 times a week for at least 2 hours a session, and you will almost certainly hate it and me in the beginning. You are only a child, not even a teenager yet, so I will tailor this routine to your age and capabilities. As you grow older, your workout will get harder and harder, but, in exchange, you will have a body built for anything the world can throw at you."

Here, Mr. Rook rips off his white button-down shirt. Literally, the fabric tears from the seams and not just pops open from the buttons. What's more, he did so effortlessly, revealing a body that would put a Greek God to shame. He then flexes and I hear a lady down the street faint as she happens to catch a glimpse. 

'Holy...Holy Shit! His muscles have muscles!'

Meanwhile, Butch flexes for Pyra and her mouth drops open as muscle definition she never knew was possible is shown to her. Butch stamps the ground in the grassy part of Mr. Rook's backyard and the ground craters a foot deep immediately from the force.

With our jaws on the floor, Pyra and I look at one another before slowly nodding. 

We collapse to our knees before the muscular duo, lowering our heads in a bow. 

"Master."

"Mander."

"Hahahaha! I knew you two would choose the right way! Your true body training begins now!"

Please no comments about kids working out. xD First off, this is a story, not real life. Please suspend your disbelief in a Pokemon world just a bit. Secondly, the old adage that children shouldn't work out until they are in their teens is not accurate. Yes, they shouldn't be deadlifting 200 lbs, but they can still start working out lightly with weights without any detriment to their bodies. Don't believe me? I have sources:

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/how-young-is-too-young-to-let-your-kid-lift-weights/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/531537-at-what-age-can-a-child-work-out-with-weights/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

 

Also, for those familiar with the original story and who are having questions about a certain woman that will be showing up soon, I have the answer pre-planned for you in this spoiler. Keep in mind, however, that I will explain it in a few chapters as well if you are patient. =)

Spoiler

Yes, Jessie introduces Melody, her fellow ex-Team Rocket Grunt friend, to Mr. Rook. She doesn't tell her beforehand but has a feeling they would get along well together, and invites her to stay with them while Melody is job hunting. That was always the intention, but I never knew where to insert that little tidbit in the old version. I am glad I can properly introduce them in this rewrite because they are a super cute couple. =D

[collapse]

24