Chapter 8 – Hidden Talents
1.3k 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8 – Hidden Talents

POV Finn Cambridge

"Hey, Finn! What are Steel-Type Pokemon weak to again?"

"Fire, Ground, and Fighting," I answer immediately.

It was after school and on a day when Lara, Jess, Kimmy, Courtney, and I were not training. I was sitting at my desk in the classroom with 3 kids surrounding me with sparkling eyes. They had some Pokemon-related questions and the word on the street was that I was the guy to ask.

I mean, they weren't wrong.

"Finn~! What is the evolution of Rhyhorn? I know it's Rhy-something..."

"Rhydon, and they evolve into Rhyperior when they train with a Protector for long enough." I spin around in my seat to answer the girl who was next in line, apparently. 

"Finn! Finn! Where can I catch a Pyroar?" 

"They are native to the Kalos region and rarely seen in the Alolan region, but they are difficult to catch. You would have much better luck finding a Litleo in either region and training and raising that into a Pyroar." I flip around to my other side to answer another classmate.

"""Thanks, Professor~!!!""" All three cheer with a laugh and run out of the classroom.

That was the nickname they were calling me nowadays. I don't mind it all that much, to be honest!

"Silly kids..." I say, rubbing my nose and hiding my smile of amusement. I often felt like a big brother amongst the kids at school, and, it looks like, they thought so as well. Who was I to fail to meet their expectations? 

*Snort*

"Thanks, Professor~!" Jess teases me in a high-pitched echo of the previous students. 

She was sitting at the desk next to me...Well, she was actually laying on the desk with one arm across its surface, elbow cocked, and her head resting on her hand as she watched the proceedings with a smirk.

I did the dignified thing and stuck my tongue out at her.

She chuckled and sat up to stretch. "Well, let's go home then. Feels like I've been waiting, like, 5 years for you."

I roll my eyes at her and she does an exaggerated hair toss.

"Is Lara helping out with the Student Council again?" I ask and Jess nods several times with a sad expression. 

"Her kindness is wasted on them. They are like all the rest of society! Greedy and Evil! They ask you to give and then they ask for more and more! Meanwhile, they give less and less! When will we get chocolate milk in the cafeteria, Finn? Hmm? I have asked for it in their stupid little suggestion box for months! Have they responded to me!?! ...Well, yes! And they said no! Can you believe that!?!" Jess starts getting wound up and ready to explode. 

She does this every once in a while. It surprised the hell out of Lara and me when the quiet little girl we once knew suddenly started ranting and raving non-stop. Over the years, we have gotten used to it and we always enjoy watching it when it happens. 

Jess is really, really cute. 

"It makes me so mad I just want to...to...GRAAAAAAAAAAAAWRRR! She yells and then does, I kid you not, the most epic heavy metal growl I have ever heard in this life or the last. It was high-pitched, but it gave me chills and made me miss some of the great girl metal bands I used to enjoy!

Spoiler

If you are into Heavy Metal, you might like this! This was my inspiration for her growl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9AcG0glVu4

Warning: Contains Screaming

[collapse]

I, or rather Max, loved heavy metal and rock! Max went to several concerts and festivals right after high school and many of them were for metal or hard rock.

"Whoa! Whoa, whoa, whoa! Jess! That was so cool!!! That was Metal as hell, girl!" I stand quickly and rush over to her. 

"I...what? Metal? What was metal?" Jess spins around and her anger is quenched as confusion takes over. 

"That growl! That was so cool!" I say as I pick her up into a hug and spin her around. When I set her down, her cheeks are flushed and she is trying to fight a smile blooming on her face. 

"'The heck? The scream...Growl? You...You think that was cool?" She asks awkwardly.

Jessica was not the greatest when it came to compliments or physical touch. It always seems to make her flustered, but Jess told Lara and me that she enjoys it despite how flustered it makes her, so we try to give her hugs and compliment her when we are out together. She is getting used to it by now, but she still makes such an adorable bashful expression!

It wasn't just us, either. My parents, Lara's parents, Kimmy, and Courtney were in on it too, but it was mainly Lara and me. The way Jess melted into the hugs our mothers gave her...

When it first happened she started crying. Luckily, Serena took care of it immediately, cuddling and pulling her aside as they spent some time alone together. That had been a few years ago, but when I remember it, I always feel sad and think about what her home life must be like...

"Yeah, Jess, It was really cool! If you did that in a song, like a rock song, I bet you would sound crazy good! With how great your voice is, I bet you could be a rockstar!" I answer her with a giant smile and a pat on the shoulder. 

Jess stares at me with wide eyes and her face slowly drains of color. She takes a step back and then another before backing into the teacher's desk where she stumbles and sit/leans back on it.

"H-How...?" She stutters out before looking down at her feet. 

"Jess? ...Are you okay? How, what?"

"How did you know...?" She mumbles quietly, still looking down. 

"Hmm? I couldn't hear you, sorry-"

"How did you know that I love to sing!?!" She screams, finally looking up at me with an accusing glare. "Is this a prank? Are you picking on me? Did you come to my house and spy on me while I was singing? Do you enjoy pitying me so much? How did you know, Finn!?" She demands with a stomp of her foot. Her face was getting deeper and deeper red in color as she lets out her fury.

I blink several times at her then slowly raise both my hands in surrender.

"Jess, I...I had no idea singing was such a big deal to you! I didn't stalk you, how could you even think I would do that? And I do feel bad about your situation at home, even though I have no idea what that is, but I don't pity you, Jess. You are an incredibly strong woman and I respect the hard work and effort you put into everything you do. I just gave you a compliment because that is how I genuinely felt...but If you are interested in singing, then you should totally do it! I fully support you and will offer any help I can to assist you in reaching that goal! Hell, I'll listen to you right now if you'd like! You're my friend, Jess. I am happy to be here for you if I can." I answer her, first dispelling her anger and confusing feelings, and then supporting her with all my heart.  

The anger is gone in an instant and she heaves a massive sigh as she turns away from me once more. "I'm...I'm sorry, Finn. I didn't mean to snap at you like that...my bad..."

"Jess, it's fine, really! If you want to sing, then you should do it!" I say walking up closer behind her.

"R-Really? You haven't even heard my voice...How can you know I'll be a good singer if you've never heard it?" She asks, still looking away from me.

"I would be honored to hear you sing whenever you wanted, Jess. I truly mean that." I reassure her placing my hand on her shoulder once more.

"I...I've never told anyone this before..." Jess barely whispers and then spins around to face me. We are less than a foot apart and she stares at me with wet eyes and her bottom lip trembling. 

We are alone in the classroom and the light from the setting sun shone through the windows to illuminate her face with an orange glow. 

Jess looks at me, past trembling forest-green eyelashes, with tears falling down her cheeks from her sparkling sapphire eyes, and with the most vulnerable expression I have ever seen from her.

Then she does something amazing. 

She smiles.

"Thank you, Finn. That means the world to me. It was always a silly dream of mine...to be a rockstar...Just a fad I will eventually grow out of, I'm sure...I know I can't really do it...I could never be that...but...Maybe...Just for once...?" She says haltingly before trailing off, her brilliant smile looking as fragile as crystal glass. 

"I don't know if I will sound good...but will listen to me? I want to sing for you, Finn." She asks, her hands gripping themselves tightly from her nervousness.

'This might be a really big moment for her. It is the first time, at least that I am aware of, that she has majorly opened up to someone. I have to tread very carefully...' I think as I swallow a lump in my throat.  

"Of course." I nod with conviction and sit back down at my desk, looking up at her both seriously and eagerly. 

She turns around, facing away from me again.

"O-Okay. I'm gonna start now..."

Jess shifts from foot to foot a of couple times as she hums a soft tune I can't really hear, then she spins around dramatically and points at me as she starts to sing:

"Yooooooou! You're driving me insaaaaaaaane! Can't get you outta my braaaaaaain! I think I want some mooooooooore~~~!"

She sings a popular song that was released by a girl pop-rock group a year or so ago. Her voice is childish, but it carries with it a charming rasp and solid tone, and she holds a ton of power as she belts out the high notes.

If you asked me if our somewhat quiet friend Jess would be able to produce such powerfully wonderful vocals a day ago, I would have said you were crazy!

But here we are. She is singing and it is rocking my world.

The giant smile refuses to budge from her face as she dances for me in the front of the classroom and it mirrors the music video's choreography. Her green hair whips around as she fully lets loose and the dancing becomes more and more fluid as she continues. It is a bit rough, but it is absolutely charming, and I am enjoying it because she is obviously having such a good time.  

She finishes the song up to the second chorus and then stops abruptly as she looks over to the doorway. 

"Eeep!" She squeaks and covers her mouth. 

There, her eyes wide open and a manic grin on her face, stood my childhood friend, Lara Ketchum. 

"That. Was. INCREDIBLE!!!! OMG, Jess! You were so good! I loved that so much!!!"

Jess crouches down on the ground and covers her head as she lets out a low groan. 

"Jess, she's right. That was really, really good!" I offer as well. 

Jessica looks up first at me and then at Lara with a tomato face, then she asks weakly, "Y-Yeah?"

"Yes!!! It was so~ SO~ good!" Lara says walking over and pulling Jess up from her crouched position and hugging her tightly. 

"Thanks..." Jess answers with another awkward, bashful smile. 

"So, why were you singing and dancing in here? Are you practicing or something? I got let go by the SC earlier than expected so I was just checking if you two were still here or not." Lara questions, looking first to me and then to Jess when I shrug in her direction. 

Jess glances at me, I nod reassuringly, and she takes a deep breath before explaining to Lara her dream.

*Lara Squealing Noises*

"Jes.I.Ca!" Lara says, accentuating her syllables with claps of her hands, "You NEED to follow your dream! You would make it, I just know you would!"

Jess' face falls when Lara says that, contrary to either of our expectations. 

"I can't," Jess says quietly as she looks out the window. 

"And why is that, little missy?" Lara demands with hands on her hips.

"Because..." Jess tries to say but trails off at the end.

"You can tell us if you want to or not if you don't, Jess. We are your friends, we are here to support you, but we understand that there are some secrets you might want to keep. We won't pressure you." I say, shooting a light elbow into Lara's side to get her to chill out. 

Lara pouts, sighs dramatically, and then smiles at Jessica. "He's right. I think you would be amazing, but I am not trying to force you or anything."

"I want to, I do...But I can't. My...My mom won't let me. She doesn't like it when I am loud, and she wouldn't take me anywhere even if I asked...We don't even have a car." Jessica deflates as she explains her situation a bit. "I really appreciate your kind words, and this has been a really fun and amazing day for me, but...It can only ever be a dream for me..."

"Bullshit!" Lara shouts with a deep frown on her childish face. 

I splutter and Jess giggles at the dirty word.

"Lara! You would get detention if the teacher heard you cursing like that!" I chastise her. 

"So what! It is bullshit!" Lara crosses her arms and says with finality. "It is your life, Jess, not your mom's! If transportation is the issue then I will just do it with you! We can go together for everything and I'm sure my mom would help us out! She put out 2 albums a couple of years ago. Not to mention Rhonda, my agent, has been complaining about needing new talent. Just trust me, and I will take care of everything. You can put all your faith in your big sis here." Lara announces with several nods and a stoic face. 

"You're younger than her." I quip.

"Shut up, Finn." Lara snarks back. "I said what I said and I meant what I meant! Jessica, just leave everything to me!"

And as I laughed at the ridiculous pose Lara was making, Jess stared at us both and lowered her head once more.

"Thank you..." She whispers quietly, happy tears dripping onto her shirt collar. 

* | * | *

1 Month Later

"It's starting!" Kimmy shouts and jumps excitedly in her seat on the couch in my living room. 

It was finally March, and that meant we were having a viewing party for PokeDetectives. It was the first show Lara has ever been in and she played a supporting actress, the best friend of the main female lead, so she was going to be in almost every episode. 

The gang was all together: Lara, Jess, Kimmy, Courtney, Rose, my parents, Lara's parents, Lara's brother Connor, and me. 

We gathered in my living room and watched the opening of the show from the comfort of the surrounding couches and chairs. Pyra, my Charmander, and Grace, Lara's Eevee, were cuddled up in front of us as we sat on the love seat.

For some reason, Lara insisted we sit here together and that she also held my hand in hers...something she does with a vice-like grip as she shakes from nerves. 

"Please be good...Please be good..." She chants as if a mantra. 

Jess sat on the floor in front of us, next to where Pyra and Grace were cuddled up, and held her Machop, Grayson, in her arms. 

She kept sneaking teasing peaks at Lara and would waggle her eyebrows dramatically anytime they made eye contact. 

Lara, for her part, ignored Jess beautifully.

Lara had followed through with her promise last month. I am not sure about the details, but, apparently, Serena met with Jessica's mom and they worked out a deal to let Jess sing with Serena as her chaperone...The only thing I know about the meeting is that when she got home, Serena was really upset - According to the insider scoop from Lara. 

They then met with Rhonda who, after hearing Jessica sing, signed her on the spot. 

Jess and Lara had been meeting up after school on days we weren't training and she wasn't helping the student council to practice and share ideas for songs. They were working on their first album together...but that really just meant they were singing songs other people wrote. Still, they were giving it their all, and, even after just 4 weeks, the improvements in Jess's mood were incredible. 

More than ever our once shy and timid friend was coming further and further out of her shell. 

Kimmy and Courtney shared a couch and decided to keep their Pokemon in their Pokeballs, while my parents were on the last couch with Rose.

Growlie, my dad's Arcanine had his head in my dad's lap while still, somehow, fully laying on the ground as well...he was just that big. Rose had her adorable fluffball, which she decided to name Sophia, in her lap as always, and the small thing was snoozing adorably. 

Lara's parents shared a large leather chair together, and Connor lay on the carpeted floor dangling a toy for Persian, who ignored it completely as he napped. 

I looked over at my friends and family as a wave of nostalgia washed over me.

Their faces were replaced with ones from Max's life and an odd feeling of elation and loss weighed heavily on me at the same time.

Too heavily.

'Way too heavily! Hold on, why does it hurt!?!' 

A sharp pain coursed through me like lightning and made me feel as if something was stabbed through my chest. The tips of my fingers and toes started to tingle as they lost feeling...and, honestly, I was panicking. I had no idea what was going on, but something was very, very wrong.

The pain began at a point on my back and went straight through me and to my heart, causing it to skip a beat several times. 

I grabbed at my chest as my face contorted in pain and unease. Shouts and calls of my name came from all around, but the room was suddenly spinning and I could not connect the voices to their names or faces. It felt like my mind was suddenly foggy... 

'What...What is this?' I could only think as darkness ate at the edges of my vision. 

'Why do I...feel...so...sleepy...' 

I crashed to the ground but didn't feel it. Nor did I feel the hands on me as my loved ones surrounded me. All I felt was the pain and a strange sucking sensation from that same point in my back as I drifted off into blissful unconsciousness.

Sorry for the cliffhanger! I know everyone hates those, but this felt like a natural break from what I was writing. I will try to get the next chapter out next week to make up for the cliff. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! We have a more battle-themed school tournament arc coming up soon!

24