Chapter 49
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “So, Daphne, what have you been doing all this time?” Asked Andrew. He had called the woman every so often, but she never gave him details.

“I have been managing the bar and searching for a new manager. Despina doesn’t want to take over permanently,” Daphne took a scoop of her ice cream and brought it to her mouth, then, she paused. “Why, Andy? Did you miss me?”

Andrew smiled and nodded.

“I missed how you and Erin would get on each other’s throats,” Erin snickered and Daphne huffed.

“I’ll have you know that if it wasn’t for me, fangs would have never grown the balls to propose,” Andrew raised an eyebrow at that and looked at Erin.

“It wasn’t your idea?” Erin looked at his hands and sighed.

“We were in Whitefish, just after you stormed out of the café. And we got to talking. I said that I was wondering that whether if it wasn’t for me, you would already be married. Since you seem to be very driven to achieve all the brownie points of life. And Daphne told me to get a move on,” Andrew turned to Daphne and grinned.

“Did you pick the ring too?” Daphne smiled in satisfaction.

“He wanted to get you a diamond one. But, you are squeamish about new clothes, Andy. You would have been uncomfortable with a diamond ring,” Andrew had to agree. A gold ring was already stretching it. A diamond would have made him unsettled.

“Thank you, Daphne. Have you picked your bridesmaid dress already?” Andrew was curious. There was no date set for the wedding — yet. But something told him that Daphne had gone shopping as soon as he told her he was getting married.

“Yes. A nice champagne one that outlines all of my curves while not showing too much skin. Classy and modest. I think I can catch the eye of someone with it,” Erin shook his head and Daphne rounded up on him.

“What? Do you not think I will be the perfect bridesmaid?” She asked, and Erin had the decency to look bashful.

“No, you will be a vision. But, Daphne, why is everything about you always coming back to men?” Asked Erin and Daphne became thoughtful.

“I am thirty-five,” she began. Andrew blinked. He wouldn’t give her more than twenty. “I am not getting any younger. I wish to marry and have children. For that, I need an upstanding guy.”

Andrew and Erin shared a look.

“After this case, we are all going to an art gallery,” said Erin, a plan forming in his head. “You will be in a cocktail dress, and we will suit up. You have to admit that most of the decent guys haunt such places.”

“And, we will weed them out. With our mind reading powers,” said Andrew, and Daphne looked between them.

“That is nice. You know, there is a gala for the first of March coming on. I hear that a CEO has a birthday. I can get us invitations,” both men grinned. That sounded high class. “But, you are not going in suits that you have already worn. People there will notice.”

“Are you certain?” Asked Erin, doubtful. “I mean, how would they? We can get the suits to dry cleaning.”

“People notice such things. A bright new suit is tighter. You boys won’t be embarrassing me. We can go to my tailor. And Andy is paying,” finished Daphne with a smirk.

“Me? Why me?” Andrew sputtered. Tailored clothes sounded expensive.

“You are the millionaire here, Andy. Have pity on us poor folk,” Daphne batted her eyelashes and then snorted. Andrew, despite himself, found himself nodding.

“We will also need new shoes,” suggested Erin. Andrew’s eyes found his leather ones.

“Not me. My shoes are just fine. And so are yours, Erin. Both are genuine leather and I spend about a hundred dollars on each set,” Daphne rolled her eyes at him.

“A gala, Andrew, is special. It is the place where you build up connections. You can’t show up in old anything, do you understand?” Andrew shook his head.

“Our town is small. Just whose birthday, is it?” There were a couple of big firms in town, but none of them were big enough to warrant a gala.

“Gregor Wells from Wells Tech,” Andrew’s eyes widened.

“You want us to go to the biggest IT company in the North West’s gala? We will be shown the door, Daphne!”

Wells Tech was a new company, but it expanded like an invasive species of weeds. It did programs for cars, computer software, and security programs. Even Andrew knew it was worth billions. There was no way they were going to be invited to such a gala.

“I’ll have you know I can get an invitation to anything. And, if they snub me, I can get Adam to get us in,” Andrew had forgotten about that possibility. Their agency could get such invitations just fine. Andrew was sure of it.

“So, we will go in posh circles after we bag the necromancer. Hopefully, he will be dead on arrival,” just as Erin finished speaking, the doorbell rang. Andrew stood and opened the door.

There was a man with a rooster in a cage and a package under his arm.

“Everything you requested, agent Jackson,” he said and unloaded his things in Andrew’s hands. Andrew thanked him and closed the door, carrying the cage and the package inside.

“In three hours it is showtime,” said Erin, stretching. He looked at his half-full bottle of blood and placed the cork in the neck.

“Anyone wants to play, Don’t Get Angry 3?” Asked Andrew as he placed the rooster on the kitchen counter. Better to clean after it, if it decided to go to the restroom.

“What is that?” Daphne cocked an eyebrow and Andrew went to his laptop.

“It is the video game version of don’t get angry. It has dramatic sounds, gas bombs and toilets,” Erin stood with a grin on his face.

“It is fun, Daphne. Andy, this time, I am with the scientists,” and they got around the laptop and began to play. Andrew with the wizards, Erin with the scientists and Daphne with the biker gang members.    

1