Chapter 5, Perilous Escape II
112 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There had been a saying I recalled in the moment; Predator becomes the prey. If that were true, then logically vice versa is also correct, right?

Prey becomes the predator, easier said than done. 

In the animal kingdom, preys didn’t easily become predators. The predators always had an advantage, whether it be the size, speed, intellect, there was reason why they were the predator and the former the prey. It was one of the reasons why I utterly hated that saying, aligning with the concept of the ‘prey’ was the most realistic introspection I had of myself.

And that would be the most likely reason on why I had automatically resented this test this fluffy, demonic bastard had given us. The requirements to ‘complete this scenario’ were delivered on a silver plate to those that were gifted with physique, or innate strength. They were the predators here. This test the creature had given us did not take into account the prey like me, how we would do against others, how we would triumph in this situation.

Just like normally, back at the job, just like in the animal kingdom, the inferior weren’t taken seriously. This test―― no, this scenario, aimed to get rid of all the prey like me. It wanted to do of us away first, so that we wouldn’t suffer later on. Hey, was this the act of an angel or of a demon?

This could also simply be dubbed as survival of the fittest.

Whilst crouching, I slowly made my way throughout the aisles. The constant screaming and the bloodshed on the ground made it hard for me to focus. I swiftly made my way through now, constantly peeking throughout each aisle to spot the huge man. There he was. A young woman was being cornered by him. The predator had already found a prey.

 She hurriedly gazed around, trying to search for someone to save her I thought. 

Again, I let out a huge breath of air and ran toward the huge man, screaming my lungs off. 

"AHHHH!" 

I tackled the huge man, and hurled him onto the ground, digging my knife in―― Well that's what I thought I did.

Rebounding lightly like on a bouncy castle, I had now become stuck to the huge man like chewed gum. He glanced down at me. 

“Playing hero, are you?'”

He slapped me off and my world became stars. 

“Uuu…”

Rocking back and forth lightly, I shouted at myself to get my act together, but the pressure was immense and I dropped onto the ground, hitting the wall. The man descended to meet my eye level and gazed at the knife that was a few studs away with a little smirk.

“Did’ya bring that little toy with you here? Looks like you dropped it before running into me. Don’t you got the balls to use it?”

He slapped me across my face and I winced out in pain. The man then picked himself up and struck me again, but this time, lifting his foot, he shot it right into my chest. My organs had felt crushed as I pitifully skid onto the ground floor. My vision became teary in an instant, damn, I really shouldn't have played hero huh?

In the midst of my wavering sight, I could see the silverware knife gleaming, beckoning for its usage. Even though I should have accepted the reality, my morality overtook my common sense. I should have sought another way to overcome this scenario, instead of trying to help a damsel in distress. Did I change or was I always like this? 

I shook off the thought, deeming it irrelevant for now and crawled over to the knife. Clutching my ribcage, I steadily picked myself up and looked at the back of the man, who was currently preoccupied with something else.

Rushing forward, one hand on my ribcage, the steel knife cleanly pierced the flesh. It was a direct hit.

As reddish hue flowed from his rear, the giant turned slowly and looked at me with furious eyes, the killing intent could have been sensed by anyway from miles away. 

“You little b――”

His insult was cut short as my punch flew skywards and, surprisingly once again, scored a hit in the middle of his nose. 

As I backed away from my aggressor, I could see the agony displayed on his face. Even though I would like to praise my own self, it must have been due to the knife that continued to cause a bloody stream from his rear. Furthermore, giants were known for being prideful and vain. Losing to a pipsqueak would incite major vigour. With a contorted facial expression, it seemed he had really lost it now due to the fact he charged toward me, his bloodshot eyes locked on. 

I attempted to evade the incoming hazard but his large build crashed into me, my bones slightly creaked and my body screamed at me as I was sent flying.

BAM! 

These shelves could be considered to be my second enemy here, as it contributed to impairing my bones and my will.

When slamming into the shelf, all the breath in my lungs was driven out and I slumped onto the ground. Simultaneously, all the perishables came toppling down and almost drowned me as I gasped for air.

Tired.

I wasn’t too much of gym buddy. All the work that I had done in the past few minutes, was probably the most I had done in my life. My fatigue was growing ever so quickly. I wouldn’t be able to last long in this fi―― No. It couldn’t even be considered a fight. I would succumb to my fatigue quicker than this one-sided beat-down, more accurately defined.

Breather. I needed a breather. Lifting up my arm to clear my view and to inhale the air could be considered the worst and best decision I made so far.

Once I had freed my central vision, my body was reminded of the immediate threat and all the pain came surging in all at once. 

could see the large grunt slowly treading toward me with a hint of pain in his stride. Peering wearily to his side, the knife had been released from his backside and was discarded onto the ground.

“I’m gonna.. fucking kill you.. with my bare, hands…” He stated in a low voice.

I needed to get back up right now. 

[10 minutes remaining.]

The window displaying the message came at the worst time possible. It was taunting me, knowing my life would end in less than that, it maniacally laughed in my face. The original requirement was to kill someone in 20 minutes, meaning that in only ten minutes, I had already been reduced to this pathetic state.

Up, up.

I forced myself to move, move, move. I knew that I couldn’t stand a chance. I knew that everything was against me. I knew that my destiny, my conclusion would end here. Move, move.

I wanted to prove them wrong. I wanted to prove everyone wrong. I didn’t, want to――

My eyes shifted to the incoming boulder approaching me at an alarming rate. 

MOVE! 

I screamed at my body, and my body screamed at me. Clenching my jaws so hard I felt my teeth would break, I ducked out the way as the boulder, the huge man, crashed into the shelves beside me. Using the remains of my adrenaline, I sought to create some distance. I really had to do something now or else I would die. Die. Die. Die.

It was then, a voice inside my head was heard. 

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv.1 has been activated!] 

Suddenly, the word became the world became black and white and possible solutions became known to me. It was as if the skill which had been activated had captured the surroundings and the scenario to figure out the most efficient ways to solve the situation.

Sure, within the animal kingdom, preys would never easily become predators. Even after this enlightenment, I still didn’t consider myself a predator. Though, the reason why a prey lives, is due to its elusiveness.  This was the one advantage the prey had above the predator. The predator, no matter how large, how fast, or how smart it was, would never be able to catch the elusive prey. Especially when it’s no rookie to the game.

Letting out another breath, I grabbed the knife I had dropped earlier and broke into a sprint. The man had already recovered from his collision, clutched his fist and sent it toward me. As I swerved out the way of the incoming punch, my heart paced strenuously, it was inches away from contact. 

A little more.

The grunt growled in fury and made another attempt. 

During this time, I was able to see. I could see everything I needed to do, as clear as day. All traces of it being previously opaque vanished. 

Faster. 

I utilised my body to its absolute efficiency. Not wasting a single breath, a single muscle, a single action, I was able to become faster. My hand, gripping the knife, flew into the air and pierced  the huge man's arms. He howled with rage and attempted to swing at me again. 

[Head.]

Without any hesitation regarding the word my consciousness called out, I ducked and the man's arm rammed into the part of the shelf above me. Being elusive, I quickly dashed out of the immediate area and the shelf had started to crumble to pieces. Additionally, not wasting any time, as he was stunned, I threw my arm up, the knife splitting his other arm open. The man howled once again but had yielded to his pain and buckled onto the ground. I panted heavily as I stared down at the man wincing in pain. 

"Ah…”

I panted, footing unsteady, but stable enough to remain standing.

“L-looks like I do.. have the balls..huh..?"

I generated a light smirk then, with all my residual strength, the knife pierced the man's heart.

[You have killed a living thing.]

[100 coins have been earned as additional compensation. ]

3