Chapter 6, Beginning of the End I
95 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[You have killed a living thing.]

[100 coins have been earned as additional compensation.]

I wiped the splattered blood that flew onto my cheeks and flopped onto the ground next to the lifeless corpse. Hmph, I never thought I would have beaten him, if I'm honest. Whilst catching my breath, I thought of the new skill that had just saved me.

Capture, was it? 

That fluffy white ball had said that this wasn't a novel or a game, but it sure seemed like one. When that skill popped up, it had stated it was exclusively meaning that it was a skill reserved for me, perhaps?

The way it operated, it reminded me of a camera almost. The thought lingered within me for a couple minutes. Could this be because of the photography company I'm working for? I let out a light chuckle. Maybe it's proper to say was working for. Because of this incident, I doubt there would be any more of that company, or any companies, in fact.

Bzz! 

My phone vibrated in my pocket. That reminded me, what's everyone saying about a situation like this? It’s impossible that social media wasn’t booming because of this. If it weren’t, I guess I’d know my answer for sure whether this really was a game or not.

Turning on my phone, I saw the prime minister. He donned a light blue tuxedo, proper for someone of his political status. However, what was unbefitting of his political status, was the countenance he currently wore. Once he was given the given the green light, he started speaking,

“Attention citizens! Do not panic, the army and I are doing the best we can to neutralize the terrorist threat. Please rest assur――”

Eyes open wide at what had just unfolded before me. The prime minister had met the same fate as the man previously. His head was blown off instantly, and subsequently shouts and cries were heard. The white fluffy ball, blood staining its fur, appeared once again.

[How many times must I tell you, this isn't a game, a terrorist attack, a novel or any of the sort. This is your new reality.] 

The video closed immediately with a zip. As soon as it closed, another message popped up on my window, just as if nothing had ever occurred.

[Main Scenario #1 – Proof of Value has ended.]

[300 coins have been acquired as a basic clearance reward.]

[100 coins have been reduced for the channel usage fee.]

[Additional compensation settlement will begin.]

I chuckled in disblief, redolent of a madman.

“Not even, the prime minister, is safe…Hk.” Sharp breaths were took with each other word.

This, this was actually real. I had just hopefully wished this was the end of this wicked dream. But why? Why, even in this breathtaking tension, why was my heart beating with something other than sorrow and anguish? I scoffed at myself then rose, clutching my side. Perhaps it was time to check the remains of this wasteland. 


I steady paced throughout the aisles, glancing behind me, to and fro, wary of someone ambushing. me. I couldn’t exactly recall the amount of people in the store, but it definitely wasn’t a miniscule number. Waltzing about in the store, there was a few bodies already, I counted 3 as I walked by. Due to this event, maybe all of them could be dead? I beat myself up, definitely not. If a man like me with no combat experience could live, then there has to be others inside the store that are probably alive as well. As I stepped around the corner of the aisle, I was met with a knife nearly penetrating my skull. 

“D-don't move!”

My eyes slowly shifted to the adversary who was threatening me. Wait, I remember this person..? It was the woman who I had saved a while ago from the huge man. I was greatly surprised that she was alive, and that was expressed on my face. 

“Oh wait.. You're the guy that..! You're the guy that saved me from that man! Oh I'm so sorry!”

A look of relief was planted on her face as she slumped onto the ground, dropping the knife simultaneously. 

"This has all, really, been such a rollercoaster for me.." She said, gasping for breath. 

I dropped my guard and fell down beside her, "I most definitely can relate to that.. I was literally buying some breakfast before work then I'm thrown into this fantasy." I replied, chuckling anxiously. 

She stretched out her hand, "I’m sorry! I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Mia Becker, and you?" 

"Aksel Liebert. Nice to meet you. Though meeting in a setting other than this would’ve been nicer."

She let out a lousy exhale which contained a hint of laughter.

"Aksel...I really can't thank you enough for what you did. If you hadn't stopped that man back there, I certainly would've died."

I tilted my head and smiled at the woman, catching a whiff of her perfume. She was a blonde woman with medium-lengthed hair. She had a slim figure and seemed quite tall, perhaps 5'7? I almost felt bad that such a beauty like this was caught up in this nonsense. 

"We look and see if there are any other survivors here."

Mia nodded and we proceed, searching inside the store. We searched through the store and encountered countless more lifeless bodies. I glanced upon their disfigured faces, from that alone, several stories, horrific stories could be inferred. Mia beside me, grew pale and looked as though she was about to throw up. I grabbed her by the shoulder and we explored a little more. 

 …

Turning into the next aisle, a blade slightly pierced the back of my neck. How was this possible? I didn't hear this person sneak up behind me, could this also be a skill? The hoarse voice came into existence:

"Are you going to attack us?" 

"No.. we don't mean to attack, we’re just searching if there are other people alive. The 'scenario' is over, is it not?" 

The blood dripping down my neck came to a halt and I felt the blade being removed from my neck. I turned around and saw a young man, seemed about three or so years younger than me. 

"Sorry for the misconception." He stuck out his hand, "I'm Thomas Lee, and you?"

"Aksel Liebert. Pleased to meet you." I glanced over to the edge of my view, there could be seen a young boy, cowering behind shelves. "What about your friend over here, what's his name?" 

"Leo. Leo Collins. Kid’s a little shy, he's only opened up to me a bit ‘cause saved him."

"Figured. In this now present dystopia, it's a little dumb to trust anyone, right?" 

"You've got that right."

Our conversation suddenly came to a halt as the fluffy white ball appeared above us. 

Poof! 

My heart sudddenly began to beat rapidly as Thomas drew his short blade. Were we actually going to fight this creature? That was when the fluffy white ball spoke to us,

[Calm down. I'm not here to fight you, not that I'll lose anyway.]

Each one of us stared like mesmerised children at the fluffy white ball. 

[Anyway, I've come to introduce myself. My name is Giryu and I am a dokkaebi. Do you know what that means? Perhaps you don't but I'll educate you anyway. My job as a dokkaebi is to manage this channel and make the scenarios run smoothy. Simple, right? So any questions?]

Dokaybei?

The room was silent. 

[Ah, can't help it. You're all definitely so scared right now. Anywho, as a reward for the first scenario, you are entitled to the sponsorship of the 'constellations'.]

He raised his stubby little hands in the air, as if we were supposed to be excited after that declaration.

[To explain further, you are essentially bugs on this plane of existence, forced to take part in these scenarios. But fortunately for you, there are powerful people in the universe who have pity for you and desire to aid you. Do you understand?]

Putting emphasis and emotion on certain words, he solidified the impression that we were insignificant little creatures that have the potential to interact with superior, benevolent beings.

Once again, even after that, the room was silent. 

[Whatever, I guess it's better if you experience it for yourselves.]

The dokkaebi smirked then vanished into thin air. Shortly after, a window manifested in front of me. 

[Sponsor Selection]

–Please select your sponsor. 

 

2