Chapter 13, Territorial Conflict IV
57 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 [The next main base is 'Ujiron'.]

As we departed from the catacombs, this message popped up. It looks as though we had a new objective. As a result, we set foot for Ujiron. 

"Ujiron..? What even is that?" Leo said, with a confused sounding tone. 

“Oh! I've been to Ujiron before! If I remember correctly, it’s a station next to Dilerth…”

Thankfully, Mia Becker responded and acted as our guide for the journey. During the trek, we encountered more ground rats but thanks to our previous battle, we killed them with ease. 

"Mhmm!" Leo Collins exclaimed loudly as we dug into the ground rat after roasting it on the [Magic Power Stove]. Leo seemed to be more outgoing and open after our previous battle, I'm sure he was on cloud nine after receiving the [Ominous Eclipse]. I'm a bit bummed that I couldn't get it but I wasn't lying about the fact that it'd be better in Leo's hands. I'm sure there’ll be another chance for me down the road. 

As we continued our odyssey, we finally gained sight of Ujiron Station in the horizon. 

[A new sub-scenario has arrived!]

...?

[Sub Scenario – Phantom Prison] 

Category: Sub

Difficulty: D~F

Clear Conditions: Escape from Phantom Prison within the time limit.

Time Limit: 1 hour

Compensation: 300 coins

Failure: ???

 

"Stay alert!" I shouted to my companions behind me as I glanced at the scenario message. Suddenly, a purple fog enveloped the atmosphere and my vision became distorted. 

"Mia... Leo..."

My vision became obstructed by a familiar face. 

「 Aksel... How many times do I have to tell you?」

I eagerly tried forcing my eyes closed but the face wouldn't disappear. 

「 Aksel. 」

"Aksel."

"Aksel!"

[Exclusive Skill 'Capture Lv. 4' has activated!] 

[The exclusive skill 'Capture' has removed the illusion!] 

I was quickly awoke to my senses by Mia shaking me vigorously. 

[Curious constellations are curious about your trauma.]

Dammit, I really am just a circus freak to them. The hold from the Phantom Prison loosened on me and my vision and hearing returned. Once gained, many specters were floating around, trying to maintain the prison. They panicked greatly, seeing us regain our consciousness. I gazed up at Mia, who’s gaze was fierce. Was she unaffected by the Phantom Prison? I had bigger things to worry about when Leo swung his sword aimlessly in the air. 

"L-leave me alone, leave me alone!" 

I quickly rushed behind Leo and subdued him by hitting him at the back of the nape. I didn't have any skills to subdue him with ease so this had to do. I grabbed Leo's body as it dropped and turned to Mia. 

[The exclusive skill 'Repel Evil Lv. 2' is activated.]

As soon as Mia activated the skill, the fog started to fade slowly. I truly was indebted to Mia, if it weren't for her then we would've died here. Maybe just collecting offensive items and skills were a bad idea. I dashed at the stunned specters and slaughtered them all at once. 

[Specter's Stone] 

I watched as the various stones dropped onto the ground and then proceeded to crush them instantly. Better safe than sorry. Turning to Mia, she crouched on the ground whilst looking exhausted. 

"Thank you so much Mia. Without you, there's no guarantee that we would've made it out alive." 

Mia looked up at me and sent me a warm smile. It seems that the skill has used up all of her magic power. 

"I have a question Mia, who is your sponsor?" 

"Her name’s, “Lady with the Lamp’."

[The Constellation 'Lady with the Lamp' is beaming with delight.]

"She gave me this skill awhile ago so I'm happy it was put to use."

I nodded at her words and looked up at the ceiling with a grateful countenance.

"Thank you, Lady with the Lamp." 

[The Constellation 'Lady with the Lamp' is saying it is no big deal.]

[100 coins have been sponsored.]

I guess this was an appropriate time to check Mia's stats. 

[Exclusive Skill, Magnification Lv. 2 has been activated!] 

Name: Mia Becker

Age: 21 years old. 

Sponsor: Lady with the Lamp 

Exclusive Attributes: Competent Physician (Rare)  

Exclusive Skills: Weapons Training Lv. 4, Mental Barrier Lv. 5, Healing Lv. 3, Repel Evil Lv. 2

Stigma: Mass Healing Lv. 2

Overall Stats: Physique Lv. 5, Strength Lv. 4, Agility Lv. 5, Magic Power Lv. 7.

 

I audibly gasped when I saw Mia's age, she was extremely beautiful for 21. I don’t remember any of my colleagues who looked as good. Gazing at her exclusive skills, it seems it was her Mental Barrier that allowed her to nullify the effects of the Phantom Prison. In the long run, Mia would be a great companion to have alongside me, just like Leo it was a good choice we had partnered up.

I picked up Leo and placed him onto my back. I felt his heart pulse as he slept soundly. I really wondered what he went through to react like that. Though, thinking about his growth, there was no reason to lament. I then nodded to Mia, who was awaiting my next move.

It was finally time to go to Ujiron Station. 


 

After a short journey, we arrived at Ujiron Station. 

[You have entered Ujiron.]

[The third scenario is currently in progress.]

[#BIL-8261 channel is active.]

[#DOY-3212 channel is active.]

――Channels? It seemed that other dokkaebis existed in these scenarios. I wondered how many there were and if they were as sadistic as Giryu. 

Upon our entry into Ujiron, we were stopped by a young man wielding a puny weapon. 

"H-hey! Don't come any close! Tell me who you are!" 

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is agitated at this guest's arrival.]

We raised up our hands in courtesy. 

"We're not here to fight." I said,  "We've only come here because it's the next scenario." 

The young man then slowly lowered his weapon. 

"Sorry, there's just been a lot of trouble around here. I've been set up here by my boss."

"Boss?"

"Yes, my boss. He runs the green zones in Ujiron."

Green zones? That's the first time I've heard of such a place. 

"May I come in?" 

"Sure, and since you're new, I'll show you around a bit."

We followed the man into Ujiron station and he showed us around.

The green zones that were established here were the main luxury within Ujiron. They were a way to protect yourself from any possible danger―― They’re also damn expensive.

"So..how do you get food over here?" 

"Oh right, you must be starving. The boss takes care of that. He’s got a team of skilled people that hunt monsters for us and brings it back. But the food is only limited for our group, so if you want some food, you'll have to hunt for some yourself."

I nodded at his words. It seems that he only cared for himself and his congregation. I could admire that. But taking charge of all the green zones? This was possibly dictatorship. 

"Your boss has control of every green zone in Ujiron?" 

"Yes, he’s got control of all the floors. He's essentially the landlord. If you want a room then you'd have to go to him and pay for one."

Hm? It was a peculiar situation. To have total control of every green zone, he’s no pushover that’s for sure. As I walked around, I could probably count maybe 160 people in the station. Was this guy really so powerful as to have every one of them around his pinky? 

"Can I ask a question? How did your boss achieve control over all the green zones?"

The young man stopped walking then looked at me with a puzzled expression. 

"A-ah…That I do not know..."

That was weird. Was there something going on behind the scenes? I was about to ask another question but he stopped me abruptly. 

"I'm sorry! I just remembered I have some errands to do. I'll have to leave, I hope you stay safe and don't get into too much trouble."

I accepted the man’s eager handshake and waved as he scurried off. This landlord now became the peak of my curiosity. Was it the stigma of his sponsor that led him to all this control? I continued considering the possible options until I bumped into a small figure. Glancing down, it was a small, dark brown haired boy, holding an insect. At first glance, I presumed he was about 10 years old. I crouched down and made eye contact with his light brown eyes. 

"Are you lost, little boy? Where are your parents?"

 ――――”

I felt awkward as the little boy gave no reply but stared into my eyes for what seemed like an eternity. He was all scruffy and hyperventilating badly. He had probably lost his parents awhile ago. How could such a boy come so far into the scenarios anyway? The boy looked at me a little more before fainting. I quickly caught the boy and turned behind me. 

"Mia, please hold him for a second."

I gave the boy to her and found a huge piece of cloth laying on the ground. Cutting it into pieces, a make-shift blanket was formed. Near a pillar, she brought the boy there and placed the blanket onto him. 

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' admires your hospitality.]

[You have been sponsored 100 coins.]

"Mia, please stay and watch over them. I have somewhere to go."

"Where?" She replied. 

"I’m gonna try and buy a room, I'll be meeting with the landlord of Ujiron Station." 

I placed Leo on the ground next to the little boy and took his sword. I didn't know whether there was going to be any trouble but I'd better arm myself with a better weapon. Grasping the sword, I secretly regretted not claiming it. 

"If I don't come back, don't come searching for me. I'll probably be dead."

Mia Becker was about to say something but I intentionally picked up the pace, causing her to retract her words. There was no guarantee I'd come back alive if I went upstairs and met the landlord. Especially because of what I was about to do. I sheathed the Ominous Eclipse and made my way upstairs. It was time to see who ran this place.


My pace came to a stop as I approached the last passage until the Landlords quarter could be seen. Like a bottleneck, dozens of people were gathered in the passage. 

"Please! Please lower the prices! I don't have enough to afford a room and I need one for my family!" 

"Atticus! I knew you before this hell started, please just give me a discount or anything!" 

[The Constellation 'Dreamer of Justice' is dreaming for justice!] 

Many cries could be heard by those huddling around this one green zone. 

[Green Zone 43/50] 

"Please, please calm down everybody!" A soothing voice, started projecting from the middle of the green zone and gradually gained volume. The landlord made his way to the entrance of the green zone.

"I've established the rules already, don't you know that a room costs 500 coins? If you can't pay that much then come back to me later when you have the money."

The crowd became infuriated and started rioting. Although they were angry, no one seemed to dare to pass into the green zone. The landlord signed in disappointment as two huge men stepped in front of the crowd. The noise seemed to die down in an instant. The people were scared.

"I think the prices are too expensive though.” The voice came from the middle of the crowd and everyone looked to the center――That voice was me and I made my way forward with a whimsical advance.

"You're scamming everyone here, with your prices. Don't you think you should be a little more fair?" 

The guards attempted to step forward but the landlord spoke. 

"Cease, let him be. And this new world isn't fair, so why should I be fair?" 

He had a point.

Some people were born into this game with terrible stats, eventually dying by people who simply passed them genetically. 

"Now for your backtalk, I demand 1,000 coins."

"And if I don't?" 

A hint of surprise was caught on the landlord’s face and he scoffed. 

"Wow. I hadn't even thought of that."

A figure walked close to the landlord and whispered into his ear, the landlord’s expression changed greatly. 

"A matter of fact, I'll let you off this time. Just walk away from this situation and I'll act like it never happened."

I was confused for a second but shrugged. Low chatter could be heard as I walked off.

"Who is that guy?" 

"Atticus let him off? He never does that."

The delayed sweat now poured onto my face. I'm glad I didn't die. But there was a bigger problem at hand now, I needed to find a green zone. Quickly. 


Apologies for the abrupt ending. I didn't want to stretch the chapter out too long :)

 

 

2