Chapter 15, War of the Kings I
54 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[The incarnation ‘Mia Becker’ has acquired a hero attribute.]

[The incarnation ‘Mia Becker’ has become 'Combat Physician'.]

I watched as white blinding aura covered Mia Becker. The enemy stumbled away shocked, trying to process in his mind what had happened.

Another one of my companions attribute evolved? Really? I was amazed on how fast my companions growth were. Would it be a stretch to say I was the cause of all this? A slight smirk appeared onto my face. Mia rose and stepped in front of me. 

"If you want Aksel, you'll have to go through me." She shifted her right foot back slightly, as if to solidify her resolve.

[The Incarnation 'Mia Becker' has used the stigma 'Stringed Healing Lv. 2'.]

A thin green string stemmed from Mia's waist and attached itself onto me. Within an instant, I could feel my vitality and strength pouring back into me, it most certainly slowly seeped her magic power. 

"Stay back Aksel. I'll take care of this for you."

Mia Becker looked back at me then smiled. I could tell that she changed.

It was a smile that showed resolve, but also contained a dabble of sorrowfulness. She seemed almost regretful, that things had become what it was. Though, this was proof that she had fully adapted to this new world. She really had changed.  

Mia flew forward with the string still attached to her waist and sent a vertical slice down a gangsters arm. He screamed out in pain, increasing in pitch when Mia Becker subsequently stabbed his other arm.

The rest of the followers ran and hid behind Atticus. Atticus watched in awe and stumbled greatly into trying to walk back. 

"No! I told you to kill her!! What are you useless pigs doing?!" 

Mia Becker menacingly diverted her attention towards Atticus and rushed forward. 

"Stop!!" 

[The Incarnation 'Atticus Aran' has used Voice Manipulation Lv. 4!]

Mia stood for a moment, her extending arm drooped, simultaneously relaxing her muscles. Fortunately he knew nothing about her or he wouldn't have used this skill.

Mia Becker looked up at him again and closed the distance between them at once, Atticus winced as the knife barely scraped his throat.

Poof!

――Giryu?

No. It was a different dokkaebi this time.

I recalled the messages of the different channels when we first arrived at Ujiron. Could this be the representative for this scenario? 

[Greetings to you all. Some new faces and an interesting altercation is happening right now, hm?]

Everyone looked up at the dokkaebi. 

[Unfortunately, the countdown is over and we'll be starting the next scenario. Get ready.]

The dokkaebi vanished again and a new window appeared. 

[Main Scenario #3 – Green Zone (Day 3)] 

Category: Main

Difficulty: C

Clear Conditions: Occupy the 'green zone' in the station and survive the monsters that emerge every night at midnight. This scenario will last 5 days.

Duration: 8 hours.

Compensation: 1,000 coins

Failure: ―

 

Phew.

I figured this type of thing would appear, that's why this plan was crucial. Due to all the commotion happening, the majority of green zones had to have become unoccupied, considering they were mainly populated by Atticus’ group.

Hence, the major problem in this scenario was solved.

Atticus' reputation now fell significantly and his hold on the station had demolished in a matter of minutes. 

[The Constellation 'Military Sage' admires your strategy.]

[You have been sponsored 200 coins.]

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is displeased by your cowardice.]

Damn you, constellation. In a way, this was cowardice. But I'm not stupid. If I had not done anything then I would've surely died in this scenario. It was finally time to address the situation and I stood up and walked over to Mia.

"Good job, Mia." Hand on her shoulder, a devilish grin was took over my expression. Atticus was seething completely, still being threatened by the knife at this throat.

"We'll need to find a green zone for us quickly."

At the sound of my words, everyone scattered immediately. Mia pushed Atticus away and went to assist Leo as he groggily ascended from his sleep. Though within a matter of minutes, he abruptly became conscious of the situation.

We fled downstairs, the little boy holding Mia’s hand, and me and Leo supporting the rear. Within the distance, we could spot an unoccupied green zone amidst all the chaos and confusion. At this moment, monsters began spawning in and leap onto the station rapidly. I watched as many people were savagely ripped to shreds by the monsters―― There was no way I could save them all. Countless people would die today. 

I pushed this thought deep inside my subconsciousness, this was the only way I and the people I cared about survived.

[Green Zone 0/5 -> Green Zone 4/5]

I went in last making sure to fend off some of the smaller monsters that attempted to make an attack. I could see blood, monster and human alike, sprayed into the walls of the station. This was an atrocious bloodbath, one that would scar a man for days.

Turning around, I took a slow, deep breath and gazed at everyone inside the green zone. This was the only green zone we could find, and it could host another person, hopefully the last person would――

――Aksel, watch out!”

My eyes opened wide as Leo extended his arm toward me, pointing into the distance.

I quickly stepped to the side and a figure came crashing into the green zone.

[Green Zone 0/5 -> Green Zone 5/5]

Scruffy brown hair, with an attire that could have deemed to be pristine without further observation. The man who had donned all these characteristics meekly lifted his head up at me.

“Atticus.”

Leo was quick to move and raised his sword at Atticus when,

“Don’t kill him Leo.”

[Omnious Eclipse] flew down at Atticus at high speeds then swerved quickly, chipping off small pieces of Atticus’ hair. As he squealed, Leo gave a firm nod and made his way back into the green zone.

“You’ve got guts, huh Atticus?”

Still frightened by his near-death experiences, Atticus’ shifted his body which was on all fours and looked up toward me.

“I-I, d-didn’t have n-nowhere else to go s-so――”

“Yeah yeah, I don’t care for an explanation.”

I grabbed Atticus’ shirt and lifted him up, until he was on his knees. I could tell he was even more scared, since all the colour vanished from his complexion. Currently, monsters were scavenging the station, devouring and looking for meat to consume. I was cold, but I’m no monster.

“Listen, just sit tight over there, and we’ll have no problems, okay?”

Atticus grew even more frightened as my subsequent smile reflected off his eyes. One could interpret it as eerie or vain, complete control over another’s life, playing god almost.

Atticus’ face fell flat on the ground, and whilst clutching his nose, he made his way carefully towards the others at the back, wary of any sudden movements that they might make.

Perhaps noticing somewhat belatedly, the boy I had collected earlier, was at my side, his little eyes were attracted to the scenery outside of the green room. I patted the boy and covered his eyes, leading him away from the scene.

How long he had been watching, was something unknown. To not react, was something absurd. Albeit, now, it'd be the waiting game. We had to endure this for 2 more days. 


During the two days, we all took turns watching out for anyone who tried to take our green zone. Mia was in charge of keeping Atticus in check as she could easily nullify his voice manipulation technique. I was surprised to find that some people were holding their own without a green zone in the station. They were fighting against the monsters who came every midnight and sometimes stood victorious. But an overwhelming majority of them were cut down by the monsters. It was a pitiful sight to witness, but also a sight worth noting.

... 

"Aksel..." 

"――Aksel."

"Aksel!"

“Huh, yes, what?!”

I suddenly jolted upright and woke up to Mia Becker’s frantic shouts. The gory remains of the scenario emitted a grotesque stench which invaded my nose without hesitation. Good morning to you too.

Feeling something tugging on my thigh, I looked down and saw the boy I picked up three days ago using my thigh as a pillow. In fear of him waking up, I didn't move much but watched as a system message popped onto my screen. 

[Main Scenario #3 – Emergency Defense has ended.]

Right on time.

[You have obtained 1,000 coins as compensation.]

[The fourth main scenario will begin in 10 minutes!]

10 minutes..? What were we, robots? The scenario had literally just ended. I shook Leo who was sleeping with this thumb in his mouth, reminiscent of a baby. Disturbing precious sleep is punishable by death, and he probably won’t get a chance like this in a while, but in my defence, the best manpower you can find is dire in these scenarios.

Walking out of the green zone, I witnessed the state of the other survivors in Ujiron. A select few were visibly weeping, and a grand majority steeled their faces, in order to protect their pride. No doubt, everybody would have lost someone within those few days. The flesh scattered around didn’t make it any easier either. I was in a fortunate position to have everyone I’ve ever known alive, could this be merely luck, or influence of a constellation?

Abruptly, my pondering came to a halt as an electric current crackled in the air and a dokkaebi appeared. Everyone produced a sigh embedded with lament. Wherever a dokkaebi was, there was always destruction and calamity. 

[Greetings to all! I hope you enjoyed the scenario, it was one of my favourites so far. But of course I came because of the announcement for the fourth scenario.]

A low murmur could be heard. 

[The fourth main scenario has to do with the other stations. A fairly exciting story is waiting for you. I'm sure you will be satisfied!]

[By the way, in order to proceed with this scenario, you have to perform another task first. Won't it be a mess if the number of people increases? Therefore, you need a presence to lead you. In other words, there must be a station representative!]

Station representative..? What good would that do with this number of people? How could we even form a group, let alone elect a leader? Unless... 

[From now on, we will play a 'skirmish'. It could be called a warm-up game. The rules of the game… well, you will see!]

The dokkaebi smiled and disappeared, while a message window popped up in front of everyone.

[The sub scenario has arrived!]

[Sub Scenario – Elect a Representative]

Category: Sub

Difficulty: C

Clear Conditions: Take the 'white flag' installed in the center of the platform.

Time Limit: 30 minutes

Compensation: 1,000 coins, Ujiron's representative.

Failure: ―

* The representative of the station can exercise strong control over the members.

 

As soon as the message popped up, I saw Atticus speed over like lightning. Who knew he would be able to track-star like this? He quickly made his way to the white flag and snatched it up. His speed was impressive, but I also was no slug. I had to get that flag. 

['Atticus Aran' has occupied the white flag.]

[If the white flag doesn't change owners in the next five minutes, Ujiron will be under his control.]

[If the flag is snatched in the next five minutes, the timer will reset.]

Consequently, Atticus' goons went and surrounded him, their enthusiasm at an all time peak after the return of their king. I couldn’t believe these people were really still that loyal to him. Was it just voice manipulation? Atticus then pointed to me, laughing hysterically. 

"You see this Aksel?! Do you really think you can best me!? I played you, I played you right until――”

Atticus’ speech suddenly stopped and he slowly stared down at his chest. The emergence of red liquid had started to soak his garb and he turned around... 

"You―― How dare you..." 

Atticus feebly collapsed on the ground and someone else picked up the flag. 

['Sawyer Irvin' has occupied the white flag.]

Sawyer? I gazed in shock at the scene. Recalling back to when I first met Atticus, it must have been Sawyer who whispered into Atticus' ear, but why did he betray him? 

[The Constellation 'Ides Lysis' is giggling.]

"It was actually I, who played you until the end, Atticus!" 

Atticus, with his pale face, slowly gazed around at his former goons. 

"W-what are you doing! Help me! Kill him!" 

It seemed Atticus was too tired and depleted of his magic power, because none of them listened to him. What a plot twist this was. 

"Defend me! Quickly!"

Sawyer moved back and the goons stepped forward with metal pipes and knives. The rest of the survivors were like statues, none of them wanted to go up against Sawyer seeing the amount of numbers he had, and especially after what was brought about on Atticus.

The timer continued to tick. 

[2:30]

Before I could rack up a plan, a loud buzzing sound could be heard, the volume gradually increasing.

――?”

The creators of the noises became visible and a multitude of bees had started to swarm the station.

"What the hell is this?!"

The bees had targeted those around the flag specifically, arms could be seen flailing about and clattering of objects could be heard. It didn’t take long for everyone in that circle to succumb to the wrath of the bees and become unconscious.

“Don’t mind if I do, I guess?”

Using this moment, I jumped on top of the pile of goons and grabbed the white flag that was stuck in the midst of them.

[You have pulled the white flag from the flagpole.]

[You have become the 'representative' of Ujiron.]

[You are qualified to walk the 'King's Road'.]

I watched as Leo ran over with the little boy on his back. He looked over to me and spoke, 

"I hoped that helped, Aksel."

Helped? What does―― Oh, I know. He must have been a secret accomplice of the bees that had arrived just now. Chuckling, I patted his head. 

"You did great kid, get some rest."

For the first time, he smiled at me and then proceeded to fall in a state of deep sleep. Once again, I became envious of how sound he and Leo slept. Perhaps after I’m done here I’ll treat myself to a nice nap too.

Unsheathing my knife that Mia returned to me, I pointed at remaining people who wanted to take the white flag. 

"Come at me if you dare."


Apologies for the short chapter. And also Happy Easter to all!

1