Chapter 16, War of the Kings II
58 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Come at me if you dare.”

The words transferred to them were clear and concise, no pretences could be detected. 

The remaining people within the station started remained still, Considering what we did to Sawyer and Atticus, it was suicide to try and go against us. 

"Seeing the scenario requirements, you'll have to choose, are you all with me or not?" 

I spoke to the crowd that stood before me. There was of course some people who didn't like me and didn't want me to reign over them. If they didn't leave the station now, they wouldn’t be able to leave my grasp.

Within the crowd, 3 people shifted and made a run out of the station quickly. They were Sawyers goons who were bystanders in the previous altercation. Though I did state that people could leave, that was probably the worst decision. There was a very low chance that the other stations would be accepting, or if they could get far alone. 

Once five minutes passed with me holding the flag, new system messages popped up.

[The sub scenario has ended.]

[You have earned 1,000 coins as compensation.]

[The white flag will show its true effects to the Ujiron representative.]

[Current Group: 32 people.]

[Your reputation is still too weak to gain the title of king.]

32 people… Quite a small number. Hopefully the other stations aren't more powerful or bigger than us, or we’ll no doubt reach an unfortunate conclusion. 

Reading back at the messages, the title of a king was still vacant despite me securing the white flag, did I perhaps need to defeat the other candidates?

[You have gained control of the Ujiron Group through the effect of the white flag.]

[You can punish a group member who goes against you.]

[There are currently three people who have left.]

It would be best to get all the people we could, but regrettably that couldn’t happen. I just hope that I didn’t just miss out on three useful talents.

Shortly after, the representative dokkaebi of the station appeared. 

[Ohu, you have already established a representative? The constellations have their eyes on this one too, eh? Ahem, anyhow, we'll be beginning the next scenario now!]

[The fourth main scenario is activated!]

[Main Scenario #4 – Struggle for the Flag] 

Category: Main

Difficulty: C

Clear Conditions: (Hidden due to content length)

Time Limit: 12 days.

Compensation: 2,000 coins.

Failure: ???

 

I grew perplexed; the clear conditions are that huge? This scenario must be important merely taking in account the time limit alone. No matter what, I can’t fail here. I proceeded to press the clear conditions. 

Numerous messages appeared in front of me.

[Clear Conditions] 

1. Every station has a 'flag' and 'flagpole' that can be occupied.

* The flag can only be carried by the 'representative' of the station.

2. You need to protect the flag from other station groups. If a flag is taken away by another group, the losing group will be taken over by the group that occupied the flag.

3. You can put a 'flag' in the 'flagpole' of another station. The authority of the flag is only for the 'representative' of each station. Once the representative dies in an armed conflict, the authority of the representative is transferred to the person who holds the flag first. If you take the 'flag' of another station group, the treatment of the group deprived of the flag is determined by the group that took the flag.

4. You must occupy the 'flagpole' of the 'target station' within a certain time limit. Failure to do so will result in the death of all group members.

5. The target station your group should occupy is Grunham Station.

 

Everybody watched in awe as they stared in the scenario conditions, this was really thorough. Mia Becker was the first to speak. 

"This is all so overwhelming. If we don't succeed we'll really all die…”

"Huh? There’s no way we’ll die! Haven't you ever played Capture The Flag? This is just that but don't lose our original flag! No big deal, heh!” Leo Collins said, grinning. He sure had a way to diminish the severity of the scenarios. 

"There's no time to be leisuring around right now. The other stations could be on their way right now. Mia, could you heal Sawyer and Atticus?”

Mia turned and spoke abruptly. 

"Why them?! They tried to kill us!"

I sighed and spoke. "I know that but we need as much manpower as we can. We can't complete these scenarios by ourselves―― This goes for all of you as well."

I turned to the crowd that were now essentially my minions. 

"I can't save you all. I'm not a hero, but I'll do my best to guarantee your safety. If any of you have any animosity between you, please ignore it for the time being. If you don't then we will all die."

The atmosphere grew cold at my words, they knew what I meant. There couldn't be any inner conflict in the group, we had to work as a team for now. Mia Becker nodded and started using her stigma to heal Sawyer and Atticus quickly. I couldn't discard them right away, I had to play my cards right. 

[The activation of the scenario will turn off Ujiron Station's safety borders.]

[You can now freely move to other stations.]

It was time we had to make a move, but ensuring the survivability of Ujiron was viral. Sawyer already was crossed off, with his sponsor, there's no promise he won’t backstab us. 

[The Constellation 'Ides of March' is plotting.]

Atticus was a good candidate but there's no way he'd stay on the leash. Perhaps it'd better if we took him along, the voice manipulation would come in handy. My only option became clear. 

"Mia. I need you to keep this station stable."

She looked flabbergasted and responded immediately. 

"――Me?!”

She frantically waved her hands about.

“I-I don't think I'm fit for that role, really! Why don't you ask Leo?!" 

"Leo will be coming with me, he’ll be useful for taking over the stations."

"What about――"

She was quickly interrupted by my plead. 

"You're the only option, Mia. I believe you can do this. Can you trust to me that you'll fulfill the role?" 

Mia mused on my words for a couple of brief seconds before nodding briskly. 

[You are using the unique permissions of a representative.]

[Ujiron Station's representative, Aksel Liebert is transferring some of his authority to group member 'Mia Becker'.]

[Group member 'Mia Becker' has become the deputy of Ujiron Station.]

[In the future, group member 'Mia Becker' can deal out punishments on behalf of the representative.]

[The Constellation 'Lady with the Lamp' is pleased with its Incarnation.]

"Thank you, Aksel! I won't let you down, I promise, really." 

I beamed at Mia. Even though she didn't fully trust herself, I knew she'd fit the role perfectly. She was strong and advanced quickly in the scenarios, the shoe fit perfectly.  I know she'd also take care of the little boy, who fell into a deep slumber. 

"Where even is Grunham Station?" Leo Collins blurted out.

Grunham Station was our objective in order to conquer this game of life and death. Peering at the route map, I searched for Grunham Station and saw 2 other stations on the same line. We could stop at those stations and collect their flags in order to progress quicker in the scenario. 

"We'll be taking Line 2. Get ready Leo, we'll be departing in a few minutes. Everybody else, I expect you to behave, if you don't you'll die."

"Yes, your Excellency!" 

Temporarily stunned, a hint of blush developed on my cheeks. I would be lying if I said I didn't like the formality. It was normal for young boys to dream of being a king at least once, if it became reality here I wouldn’t complain. After reminiscing for a moment, I approached the unconscious Atticus and slapped him silly. He had finally woken up. 

"H-hey! Don't touch――“

"Shut up, Atticus. I'll only tell you this once, I'm the king of this station, so you have to do as I say. If you don't, I'll kill you. Okay?" I gave a bright smile to Atticus, but in disguise it was laced with calllousness. Atticus' skill would be useful in this scenario, so it was smart to take him along.

After a few minutes of briefing, we finally set off for Grunham Station. I took the front and Leo took the rear watching Atticus as he walked. As Ujiron faded from our vicinity , I could hear Becker already organizing the station. I hoped she’d do well with my absence. 


Eventually, our tiresome trek finally led us to a station. Upnor Station.

Before I could tell Leo and Atticus, needles were shot through the air. Readied with my knife beforehand, I deflected a few of them but two had struck my thigh and arm.

"――Hk! There’s enemies ahead, stay alert!"

"Hah. A fight? I can't fight!!" Cried out Atticus. I guess that was true, he was only useful as an informant.

Leo had unsheathed the [Ominous Eclipse] and stood on standby, eyes peeled for a hint of abnormality.

"What station are you from!" A voice in the darkness called out. 

"――Ujiron.” I responded.

“Upnor isn’t our target station, we aren't here to fight." I continued right after.

The atmosphere seemed to soften as a figure emerged from the station. A tall blonde man could be seen. 

"Greetings, sorry for the hostility. We've had a station coming for our flag. I hope you understand we had to resort to violence."

"O-Of course."

"My name is Xavier Jaye. And you?" 

"Aksel."

I gave a brusque reply that caused Xavier to raise his brow, almost offendedly. I couldn’t afford precious time to get cozy with others. Xavier, chuckling lightly, responded,

"I see you're serious. Well I'll cut right to the chase. I want you to make an alliance with me."

An alliance? It was a smart thing to establish in a situation like this. 

"But why me though? Why haven't you made an alliance with another station yet?" 

"You're the first one who's come in peace. I can also tell you're powerful already. You would be a good ally to have, no?" 

I thought for a moment before replying. 

"――Sure. We'll be your ally."

I stuck my hand out indicating a handshake, but Xavier looked at me and said.

"You haven't asked what my target station is. Are you curious?" A sly smirk forged on his mouth.

"I'll tell you anyway, it's Ujiron Station."

――Ngh!”

Before I had time to react, one of the members of Upnor Station rushed at me at intense speed. 

"Aksel!" 

Unexpectedly, that shout wasn’t from Leo, but it was Atticus’. It seemed he already sensed the danger and threw me to the ground right away, just about dodging the spear that flew above me. 

"T-thanks, I guess..."

"Don't read into it, I just don't want to die."

I rose from the ground, knife in hand and leering at Xavier.

"I have a question to ask, by powerful, did you really mean it? Because if you did, it wouldn’t be sensible to ambush us like this."

Xavier's expression transformed into something between horror and shock but I couldn’t dwell on it for long. It was already over.

I instantly came before Xavier's face and attempted to slice his neck right off.

“Sir!!”

Xavier took a step back and subsequently, my knife collided with a spear that appeared before me. Already, this was a terrible matchup, though my blade was supported with perks, the inferior weapon would always lose to the superior weapon.

The one who came to Xavier’s assistance intentionally drew his spear back and spun it simultaneously. The spear traversed the air with such efficiency and sought to do away with my head.

Instinctively thrusting my knife into the air, I parried away the spear that gained a downward trajectory and adjusted the grip on my knife.

――One step.”

Seeing this opportunity, I took a step forward and launched the knife right at my opponent. Without any other option left, he attempted to parry my knife.

――Gah!”

It was true, the inferior weapon I held would always lose to the superior weapon I was opposing. Though, that was only true on the defensive. The spear shattered within an instant in my opponent’s hands and I instinctively sent a diagonal slice straight ahead.

A moment, belated, but most certainly in a mere moment, blood spurted out of the Upnor Station member’s chest. Wiping off the blood that erupted onto my cheek, I shouted,

“Leo!”

Directly after, lightning surged the entire premises and advanced toward the man who was retreating with haste after seeing my battle conclude.

“Wait, wait――!”

Leo denied his cries of mercy and lobbed Xavier’s head off. The way it was cut so cleanly could be considered disrespectful.

The remaining members of Upnor witnessed the massacre of their best men and withdrew swiftly. Leo was about to pursue them before I stopped him with a shake of my head.

Waltzing past Xavier’s head and to his body, I picked up the collapsed flag. 

[You have won the flag of the 'Upnor Group'.]

[Your white flag has absorbed the cumulative achievements of the red flag.]

[Your white flag has evolved into a red flag.]

I felt a stronger force swirling inside my body.

[You are one step closer to the King's Road.]

“Atticus, come on, we won’t wait for you.”

Previously shielding his eyes, the coward Atticus picked himself up and scurried over to where me and Leo were walking. Hopping onto Upnor's platform, I couldn’t have predicted what I would see.

A massacre, pure slaughter. What was most likely blood, oozed down the walls of the station and enveloped the ground. Numerous corpses could be seen laying about, some having the appearance of being defiled. Was this all caused by the representative sub scenario? I couldn't have imagined something so small would cause a full on bloodbath. Maybe this scenario would shed the most blood than ever.

Minding my steps and respecting the deceased, I made my way over to the flagpole in the distance.

[Currently there is no group occupying Upnor Station.]

[Are you sure you want to take over the station?]

I plugged the flag into the flag holder and pulled it out again. Then a holographic flag that was the same as mine appeared inside the holder.

[You have occupied Upnor Station.]

[A station that has been occupied can't be taken from you unless the 'main base' or flag is taken away.]

[Currently Occupied: Ujiron (Main Base), Upnor]

[The achievement points of the red flag are rising.]

The red colour of the flag turned darker.

[Your influence has expanded by taking over a new station.]

[The hidden scenario has arrived!]

[The King's Road has begun!]

[Hidden Scenario – King's Road]

Category: Hidden

Difficulty: A

Clear Conditions: Take over a minimum of 10 stations within the time limit.

Time Limit: 10 days

Reward: The attribute of a 'king'.

Failure: If you can't take over a minimum of one station per day, you and your group members will all die.

I peered at the message of the newfound scenario. I needed to take over a station each day?  These dokkaebis were asking for a lot. If this was all content for the constellations, I wish to strike them all down one day. 

Suddenly, an idea occurred to me when Atticus Aran walked up to me. 

"Atticus, drop."

"Wha-"

"I said drop."

He muttered a few words then dropped to his knee. I loved exercising this power, but there was something I had to ask of him.

"Atticus, recite to me your exclusive attributes." I needed to test if he was trustworthy. 

"――It's False Visage... I haven't used it but I know how it works. I can change my facial structure and blend in..."

I took it upon myself to check and truth be told. Maybe he really is obedient.

"That's perfect. We'll have you infiltrate into the other stations and tell us which one's we can take with ease."

"What? No! I didn't sign up to this――”

I tutted. "Oh Atticus, don't you remember what'll happen?" 

He grimaced but refused to move his lips any longer. He’d know what would happen if he defied me. 

Growling at the situation he got himself in, he then attempted to stand up. 

"Did I say you could stand?" 

He looked up at me with eyes of anger, I bet he wanted to punch me right now. But what would be faster, my tongue or his fist? 

"――I'm just kidding. Get up and go, report back in 9 hours. I'll return to Ujiron and tell the others about the new mission. Hopefully they're doing okay."

Waving off Atticus, I called over to Leo. 

"We're gonna go back to Ujiron momentarily."

"What? Why?!" 

"I've received a hidden scenario where we have got to take over a station a day or we’ll meet our demise. That and I also need to make sure they're safe."

Leo gave me a huge thumbs up and nodded. Watching Atticus strut away annoyed for a couple seconds, we set back to our main base.

1