Chapter 17, War of the Kings III
56 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I waltzed through the underground railway with the remaining two behind me, the unearthly surroundings contrasted the faint chime coming from Leo. 

[The constellation ‘Mulish Viking’ is getting bored and desires more bloodshed.]

I scoffed.

Puppets for their entertainment; a theatre performance where the actors were on stage involuntarily. These constellations were sitting up wherever they were, watching contently as we fought for our lives in this theatre of death.

“Damn you..pricks.” I spat with the intentions of making my feelings known to the constellation.

I swiped away the message that practically disregarded my autonomy and continued my advance before it hit me.

――Would this ever actually be over?

These thoughts raced through my mind. This country was most certainly a shithole, but it wouldn’t be absurd to say that the rest of the world is partaking in these scenarios. If it was possible, if there was a chance, that all these scenarios would end one day, could we go back?

No one never talked about it, but it wasn’t like no one immediately disregarded the thought, either. However, it would be a lie to say that, I,  didn’t have those feelings growing inside of me.

So many lives had been lost in the past week or so, lives that would never return and lives that could never be reversed. Humanity, as we knew, was rotten to its very core. Myself included.

Staring at my hand which held the colour and scent of dried blood, I couldn’t push away it any longer. The guilt that slowly tore at my heart. I, too, was detestable, down to the very core. To take all those lives, though it was necessary, would I ever be redeemed? A new society, with the foundations built by people like me would never flourish. Even if it could be over, we would never go back, we could never.

“ ――Agh!”

Abruptly, my footing was interrupted and I fell to the ground.

“Aksel! Are you alright?” Exclaimed Leo, who had sounded to start to jog toward me.

“What the hell is――” My heart has immediately skipped a beat.

A corpse.

A corpse that wasn’t here before.

A corpse that was on track to Ujiron, which was only several minutes away.

It can’t be.

“No, no, nonononono…”

Repeating that one word hectically, I desperately picked my body off the ground and ran toward Ujiron. There was no way. There was a battle here? They couldn’t have died. They can’t have died. How could they have died? Why did they die? Dammit, I should’ve been here, I should’ve stayed here, I should’ve at least――

As I leapt onto the station platform, I braced myself for the worst.

“ ――Hk! D-don’t… Wait, Askel?”

Mia Becker had been crouched down, attire drenched in sweat, and jumped having being startled by my sudden appearance within the station.

I blinked my eyes several times, was this reality? Did I genuinely go insane?

“M-Mia…” I voluntarily dropped my buttocks onto the ground, with heavy pants undergoing a state of relief and the distress from prior simultaneously. 

“Oh, Aksel! Are you hurt!” She quickly rushed forward to aid me.

“O-outside…I thought you guys had… What happened here..?”

As she crouched down to meet my level, she put her hands on me and started healing me.

“When you guys left, another group had ambushed us. Thankfully though, they didn't take our flagpole and we have no casualties. That was honestly really scary, I-I don’t wanna be put through that again!"

Mia, after healing me, playfully slammed her fists repeatedly on my chest.

“――Guh.”

I definitely should’ve had a little more faith. As my distress began to settle, it was Leo that spoke up for me. 

“I knew you could do it Mia! Did you guys get the flag? Aksel needs it to clear the scenario."

Mia frowned then tilted her head.

"That's the thing, they didn't have their representative with them."

Wait, what? Was it just some wanderers? What purpose would they have coming to our station? The only viable option was their representative sent a few members to scout Ujiron first before heading there. 

"Regardless…” I sighed reposefully.

“Good job you guys."

Shouts of laughter and cheer could be heard as I praised them. For such a small group of people, we were lucky that no one formidable had come to Ujiron. Though, if the rest of the station were in a state like Upnor, then I guess we could be considered the lucky ones.

After gathering my thoughts, I stepped in front of the crowd and filled them briefly on the new scenario I had just obtained. Concerned looks grew on their faces.

"Are we really powerful enough to take a station each day?"

I looked toward the member of the station who spoke out.

"I'll surely do everything in my power to take a station each day. I value my life and yours."

That little speech seemed to boost their morale. They all had enthusiastic expressions on their face. Though a bit of a lie was told. Commandeering a large group of people, especially with how twisted the concept of these scenarios are wouldn't end well. Any sane person would discard burdens. The conscience of the old world still remained in our morals. I'll have nothing to do with them after the scenario ends.

"Oh, by the way, it doesn’t seem like Atticus is with you guys… Where is he?"

Great question. I smirked and replied,

"Him? He's doing a little espionage mission for us."


Tattered and torn. Who would have predicted that such an austere, impeccable seeming individual would arrive to such a state after only a couple hours? Trudging along with hefty steps, the man known as Atticus Aran stared at me with his now lifeless, blue eyes.

"Heya."

Such a remark could be perceived as devoid of empathy. To greet nonchalantly like so, even after seeing the condition he was in, the speaker was just eager to engage in an immediate tussle.

Atticus quickly stormed up to me, veins popping but I simply wagged my finger.

"I-I literally nearly got killed out there! Once they found out, I was chased down for my fucking head! You’re so gonna――”

Saliva flaked from Atticus’ mouth as he put the amount of vigor he had withheld just for this moment into words.

"Save your whining, have you completed your task at least?"

Reluctantly, he gave me a half-assed nod.

"Good, then that's all that matters. Tell me the details."

Silverstone Station was one of the stations that was located on the South wing, and seemed to be the easiest to capture. From Atticus’ information, the station roughly had 17 people. They also didn’t show any signs of being aplomb, constantly bickering among themselves on what decisions to take.

The other station was Ironbark Court, located on the East wing and slightly more populated, was far more composed, but they lacked in the power needed to perform. Despite their odds, they seemed to have taken the initiative and advanced in the scenario regardless, sending out small groups and somehow getting their navy flag.

From Atticus' information, I concluded that our best choice of action was to go for Silverstone Station first then for Ironbark Court.

Unfortunately, he couldn’t cough up any information on our target station, Grunham, but something was better than nothing.

"There's..also something else I heard... A rumour.” Atticus stated anxiously.

“A rumour?" My ears pricked up at his words, surely it wasn't me again this time.

"There's a king... Who reigns the Northbound Line in the North wing. They call him the Astute King, he's already taken over 5 stations already."

My jaw dropped. 5 stations? It hasn't even been 48 hours but he's obtained 5 stations already? I needed to get a move on quick, or else I'd fail to meet the requirements for a king.

"Well, we can’t fall behind here. Time to get to Silverstone.”

Atticus sighed as he languidly rose from the ground.

“Not you, Atticus. You’ve done enough. Get some rest.”

I gathered myself from the step I was sitting on and called out to Leo. With Atticus’ job concluded, it was time for the main combatants to shine. Leo was scrupulously cleaning his sword before he looked up in surprise. Another chance to go onto the field, he probably thought.

However, I felt scummy to already have betrayed Mia’s request to not put her through another worrying task again. Timidly, I faced her and stated,

"Y-You’re doing really good Mia, genuinely. I apologise for having to get going so soon. Just keep making sure that Sawyer stays in check for me, okay?” My gaze scanned the area and met Sawyer’s figure. He was being restrained by a couple of men, his perverse dark eyes glared at me from afar. 

 [The constellation ‘Ides Lysis’ is giggling at the predicament his Incarnation is in.]

I’m proud of his reluctant cooperation though, he's really piped down ever since I've become king.

Responding to my selfish request of her,

“No! T-thank you! Really!” She exclaimed.

“I’ll keep doing my best! You can count on me to keep everything back here stable! Don’t worry at all! Really!”

Her constant reassurance was surely made to make me feel secure, but it had definitely done the opposite.

Giving off a nervous chuckle as a response, I got ready to depart. Before departing, my shirt was tugged. It was the boy I had taken in, perhaps at this point, one I regarded as one of my own.

I looked at Mia and she nodded in reassurance, I knew this boy could do some pretty neat things that could come in useful so it wasn't a mistake to bring him along. We quickly left and headed to Silverstone Station.


We cleared Silverstone Station quickly with ease. It surely did sound like they wouldn’t have lasted long, the majority of station was now found dead at the heart of the station. However fortunately, that allowed us to take the station with no problem at all.

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' congratulates your victory!]

[You have captured Silverstone Station.]

[Currently Occupied: Ujiron (Main Base), Upnor Station, Silverstone Station.]

[The achievement points of the red flag are rising.]

After obtaining Silverstone's flagpole, I retracted my flag and we moved quickly for Ironbark Court and that's when Leo Collins spoke.

"Aksel.. I think I need a moment..."

"Me too..." Said the little boy.

Already? We've only captured a station. Suddenly everybody around me dropped to the ground. I quickly unsheathed my knife and leapt back.

"Who's there?" I shouted out. The reply came belatedly.

"You should've been more careful." A man emerged from the shadows with a group of 6 men.

"And don't worry, your friends aren't dead. They're just in a state of sleep right now, but they will be dead if you don't hand over that flag."

The figure grinned and the members behind him got ready with their weapons.

"Wait, at least could you tell me what station you're from?"

"What purpose would that serve if Ujiron becomes under me?"

I tried my luck. But he knew my station already, how so? I frowned, information sure moved quickly in this new world. One of my opponents lashed out at me with his sturdy axe and I parried, bracing myself. He retracted his axe and swung again, it was timed perfectly and I was forced to incline slightly, nonetheless, I was still hit, the axe grazing my shoulder.

As blood trickled down, I noticed it. My movements were groggier. It seemed that whatever this other station used to subdue Leo and the boy, it was meant for me too. I quickly dashed forward as the axeman whipped his weapon diagonally, exerting my muscles a little more, I sliced off the arm wielding the axe. Bolting forward once again, I appeared in front of another. He reacted absurdly fast and attempted to swing his sword to cut off my head, but I moved even quicker and slammed my fist downwards into his head, his body jolted as it slammed into the ground.

Amidst the cries of pain of the axeman, a voice overlapped, drowning it out.

"That's as far as you go." It was the figure that spoke before. He had picked up the little boy and had a dagger at his neck. How did he get behind me?

"That's disappointing, I hoped that they would've had the more powerful of Ujiron Station killed already. Looks like my little spy hadn’t done his job correctly."

I became alert instantly, this guy had sneak a spy into our base? Was it possible he caused the commotion from back then?

“――――”

"Oh~ I’ve spoken a bit too much. You’ve might’ve been wondering, so, I’ll show you my skill now, it’s pretty useful~”

The man sneered and threw on his hood. I had tried to grab him but it was too late, with that he and the boy disappeared into the shadows.

"Dammit!" I cried out, my outstretched hand failed to reach my target and I fell onto the ground. This complicated things even more. The scenario would keep advancing regardless of my situation. I couldn’t afford to waste time, knowing that there are people like the Astute King that are dominating. But even so―― I had to go get that boy. Even if he was already dead I, just,

“I’m an idiot, right? I definitely am an idiot.”

I remembered. The man had run his mouth about a spy being in Ujiron. It was possible to get information out of him of what station he was from. quickly slipped a note on top of Leo's scabbard and quickly sprung back to Ujiron. Maybe I could catch him before he left.


I arrived back at Ujiron swiftly and Mia Becker greeted me first.

"Hey, Akselーー”

"I’m sorry, but have you seen anyone suspicious here!”

Mia was taken aback for a short duration and took a moment before responding.

"Erm, uhmm, I think there was this one guy but.." She scanned the crowds but couldn’t seem to find the person she was mentioning. At the corner of my eye, I could see someone sprinting out of the station and onto the railways.

"Thanks!" I exclaimed before quickly pursuing the spy. If his skill was anything like the other dude, then this would be bad. I could not let him get away.

[1,500 coins have been invested in agility.]

[Agility Lv. 15 -> Agility Lv. 18]

“Huuhh…Ah?”

Taking a quick glance behind him, his cyan eyes met my piercing gaze. Appearing behind him like a ghost, not soon after he was slammed into the ground, apprehended.

"Which station you are you from. I'll count to 3ーーOne.”

“ーー”

"Two."

My blade suddenly ignited near his throat, the magic power crackling viciously in the air.

"W-wait, wait! Okay, okay, don't kill me, p-please! I was told to spy on you guys, I swear!”

"Station.”

"W-Wislim!"

The spy looked like he was about to pass out any time soon from the sheer shock. I dropped him and walked back off to Ujiron. There I saw Leo Collins running over to me.

"Aksel! What’s goingーー”

"Wislim Station. Come with me, quickly.”

He nodded and we sprinted to Wislim. 

I just hoped they hadn’t done anything to him yet.


"Yo, boss…” said a member of Wislim Station right before he was slashed by [Ominous Eclipse].

[The character 'Leo Collins' has activated the exclusive skill 'Judgment Time'.]

[The Absolute Good constellations have agreed to the use of this skill.]

['Judgment Time' has been activated.]

Leo swiftly cut down each member one by one, all who were inferior and gawked at his superb swordsmanship.

Within a few minutes of travel, we had arrived at Wilsim Station and the onslaught proceeded immediately afterward.

Bursting through the flight of blood, the hooded man who had kidnapped the boy was in sight. He attempted to run but the efforts were futile due to my new stat increase. 

"ARGHHH!"

My sharp knife pierced into his arm and he slides onto the ground. His screech of pain was quickly intercepted with my foot colliding with his skull, head slamming into the wall. Simply the expected punishment for messing with my station. Grabbing the flag from his waist, I then reached the flagpole and to the little boy tied against it. 

"Kid! Are you okay? Did they hurt you anywhere?"

"It’s Erich."

"What?"

"My name is Erich Caine."

1