Chapter 18, War of the Kings IV
62 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hmph.”

Wilsim Station had become subject to me, and due to taking control of it, Ujiron Station had acquired 5 stations in the process, and thankfully one of them was our target station. 

[You have occupied Wilsim Station.]

[You have earned 2,000 coins as a reward for 'Struggle for the Flag'.]

[Your group has occupied the target station.]

Though it seemed unfortunate that they targeted us, a couple of pros had derived from it. From the capture, my red flag levelled up to a brown flag. 

[You have won the flag of ‘Wilsim Station'.]

[Your red flag has evolved into a navy flag.]

[Your red flag has absorbed the cumulative achievements of the navy flag.]

[Your navy flag has evolved into a brown flag.]

[A strong flag protects you.]

Currently Occupied: Ujiron (Main Base), Wilsim Station, Upnor Station, Darwin Line, Ironbark Station, Silverstone Station, Kasu Station, Grunham Station.]

Leo Collins was busy cleaning off the blood on his sword beside me whilst I planned our next move. We currently had Erich Caine, Leo Collins and I. We might’ve been the only station underground as the railways were fairly quiet. Here and there, I could hear a ruckus above ground. It’s safe to say that a lot of the kings are up there.

“And maybe that one too…”

That one infamous king of the Northbound Line. It’s entirely possible that he was up there too, snatching all the flags from the opposing representatives. If so, the best course of action would be to go up and snatch the flags before him, it was probably the most efficient way too. As I was about to inform the other two, a scenario message appeared.  

[The main scenario has been updated!]

[Main scenario # 4 – The King's Qualifications has begun.] 

[Main Scenario # 4 – The King's Qualifications]

Category: Main

Difficulty: A

Clear Conditions: Occupy the 'Absolute Throne' located at Griemore.

Time Limit: 8 hours.

Compensation: 10,000 coins

Failure: ―

* This scenario can only be challenged by those who have completed the hidden scenario 'King's Road'.

* The absolute king has absolute commands over all the other kings.

* There are additional special clear conditions for this scenario.

 

A blue window abruptly appeared after, it was the new dokkaebi representative. 

[As you may have guessed already, the fourth main scenario is a battle to be the only king who can sit on the grand throne. To clarify, one who has proved their qualifications can sit there.]

The dokkaebi produced a grin on its smug face. 

[Then, I will reveal the first qualification!]

[King's Qualification]

1. 「 The owner of the throne should be braver than anyone else. 」

–The Absolute Throne never wants a 'weak king'. To challenge the throne, you must own at least a black flag.

(Additional qualifications will be released after a while.)

 

After the window’s disappearance, Leo Collins and Erich Caine rushing over to me. 

"Aksel! What should we do? We don't even have 10 flags." 

“I know, pretty troublesome. I think the best option would be to go to the surface and steal some flags there.”

There was also something else I wanted to do. If I recalled correctly, there was also a museum around Griemore that contained a lot of historical artifacts. There is a chance that I could snatch a sword or something from there, I just hoped that no one else had looted the place yet. My knife was slowly eroding due to the magic power and it wouldn’t be sustainable in the long run.  

"We’ll also have a chance to upgrade our weapons. This knife has been useful but it’s reaching the end of its lifespan."

Leo nodded and Erich had an ecstatic look on his face. We could also probably get a weapon for Mia Becker too. And thus, we embarked on the journey to Griemore. 


Upon wandering on the streets of Griemore, buildings were desecrated and many were ransacked. Instances of violence could be spotted along streets, the scent of it all was mixed with new and old, aftermath of most likely the battle of the kings and the zombie rampage respectively. This area that was once bustling with civilians became a wasteland in a couple days. If this is what happened to a capital, I couldn’t imagine just what happened to the rest of the country.

Carrying on our walk, we had finally neared the Auditory Institution of Novelties. The museum stretched high, and in contrast with its surroundings, still gave a sort of pristine look, it definitely wasn’t a spot to hit for looters on their search for essentials. This museum was one of the biggest in the country, and rivalled some of the biggest in the world with the sheer value of artefacts inside. The museum most definitely had a lot of antiques that could be used as a weapon, hopefully they haven't been snatched already. 

"Wait." 

This imperative call came from Erich, and we suddenly stopped advancing.

"There's a group of people coming, about 30 of them."

I wondered how he knew but then remembered his skill. Erich seemed to have the ability to control insects and an ant confirmed that belief, it quickly scrambled toward Erich on the ground. We took cover behind a wall. There was 3 of us and 30 of them, Erich doesn't have a lot of combat experience either so we're at a great disadvantage. 

I watched as a figure was carried on a huge, silver palanquin with a dragon embedded on the top. The rest of the guards were protecting them in a box formation. These people were really getting into this, weren't they? I decided to use my exclusive skill on the King behind carried. 

[Exclusive Skill, Magnification Lv. 4 has been activated!] 

Name: Aaron Montanari

Age: 27 years old. 

Sponsor: Promiscuous Copper Nose


Exclusive Attributes: Barbaric King (Hero) 

Exclusive Skills: Military Command Lv. 3, Bribery Lv. 1

Stigma: Execution Lv. 5

 
Overall Stats: Physique Lv. 6, Strength Lv. 8, Agility Lv. 7, Magic Power Lv. 14.
 
The palanquin marched a few more steps before coming to a halt. The Barbaric King then stepped out of his palanquin and entered the museum, ushering for his servants to search for something. I looked over Leo and Erich and motioned to them to go through the back. 
We slipped through the back door and made our way upstairs through the museum. On our way, Leo Collins and Erich Caine were admiring the weapons and items that were still in display, it seems we were early enough to take some weapons. Erich was mesermised by a weapon and called out to me quickly. 
"Aksel! Can I have this one?" 
"Sure, take whichever one you like."
Erich Caine threw off the lid and held the short, antique war hammer.
[The Constellation 'Mulish Viking' is pleased with Erich's choice.]
I scoured the floor a bit more before stumbling on a weapon. The argent sword, hilt decorated with a crimson tone, glinted in the sunlight and I was instantly attracted to it. I popped off the lid and gazed upon the beauty. The label on the lid read 'Dojigiri Yasutsuna'. I clutched the sword and grasped it, feeling it out. It was the right fit for me, being lightweight and relatively slim. Leo couldn’t masquerade his amazement and began to inspect the sword joyfully at every angle. 
"That looks like a great sword Aksel!" 
"I think so too. Are you gonna try out anything here?" 
"Eh... I like my Ominous Eclipse, these weapons just look boring to me."
"Whatever you say."
I grabbed the sheath from beside and sheathed the blade and kept walking. Since I acquired an item for myself and Erich has gotten one too, it’s only appropriate that I should get Mia one as well. I wondered what she’d like though. I do remember saying I’d have to pay her back, so hopefully there’d be something sufficient in here.
A few seconds of walking around I gazed upon another blade. It was significantly smaller than my sword though, but it was a light looking dagger that would fit perfectly into Mia's hand. The label on it read 'Kogarasu Maru'. 

[The Constellation 'Legendary Tachi Myth' is displeased with the state of this particular replica.]
I ignored the salty constellation and picked up the dagger. As I was about to inform the others, I could hear the rising sound of plentiful marching steps getting closer to our location. We quickly assumed hiding positions, I hid behind a Greek sculpture, its overwhelming stature concealing my figure.
The guards started filing in at once, though steered away from the middle and lined up at the sides, forming a clear path in the middle. A few seconds later, the Barbaric King strutted with a red cape, flowing in the air.
Getting a clear perspective on him now, he was pretty tall, if I had to guess about 5’10. He donned a dark grey fur cloth that covered his upper body, which contrasted with his blood-like cape. I could most definitely say he fit his age of 27, his beard flaunted along with his short, wavy hair. I was almost envious, to be looking that good in this apocalypse took some effort.
"Any pleasing antiquities thee find, bringeth to mineself." He ordered and beckoned, arm outstretched.
No further instructions were needed, the guards promptly scattered and began searching the room. If this were to keep up we'd get caught in a few seconds. I gazed over to Erich Caine who was hiding behind a display table across the room.
[The incarnation 'Erich Caine' has used 'Diverse Communication Lv. 3'.]
The museum floor had quickly started to rumble as blood poured from Erich’s nose. A large rat demolished a part of the floor and peered at everyone with its large, beast eyes. As if protocol, guards quickly surrounded the Barbaric King, in an attempt to ensure his safety whilst the other guards attacked the rat. Leo grabbed Erich and launched him on his back, and I led the evacuation as we dashed out of the room. We fled through the front exit when suddenly a few of the leftover guards stopped us with their longsword and spears, forcing us to kneel onto the ground.
At this time, Erich regained his consciousness and his hold on the rat was released. The other guards inside the ruined museum rapidly marched outside and forced us into the middle. They quickly parted and the Barbaric King walked through the middle and looked down on us. 
"Was it thee who pulled the tomfoolery inside?" The King levered down at me with a disgusted expression on his face. 
"What?" 
"I sayeth, was it thee-" 
"You can quit the dialect. This isn't the ancient times."
A expression of fury took over his face. 
"Do you know what position you're in right now?" 
I looked around before replying. 
"Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate at the moment but it can change pretty quickly." I said with a grin on my face. 
[The Constellation 'Promiscuous Copper Nose' dislikes you.]
"Hm. I dislike your smug face. I wonder, will it change with your head on a platter?" The Barbaric King Aaron Montanari raised his hand and at once a guard scavenged the palanquin. He returned with an executioners sword and placed it into Aaron's hand. Aaron unsheathed the blade and spoke to us. 
"Any last words?" 
"I wouldn't do that if I were you."
"Why not?" 
"I know the secret to completing future scenarios."
Leo Collins and Erich Caine turned to me with puzzled looks. I was bluffing, of course. But this might be a good way to group the Kings together and take their flags. 
"How can I trust you?" 
"I'm a king myself, if I do anything out of the ordinary you can kill me and take my flag."
"But if you accept my proposal, I need you to let my other two friends go." I spoke. 
Aaron called, what I presume, his advisor and spoke with him before a brief moment before turning to me. 
"So be it, but I will keep you under strict security."
The guards removed their spears away from the other two and I quickly whispered something to Leo Collins, he nodded and Leo departed with Erich. The guards picked me up, spears and longsword still inches away from my throat and guided me to the palanquin. I took a seat opposite the Barbaric King and in-between two guards. 
"I know your ears are itching to hear, I'll tell you now."

2