Chapter 22, Kingless World II
46 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The newly formed hunting squad scouted the streets carefully. This area seemed to be all cleared out... There was not a monster in sight which was a bit peculiar, was this a popular hunting ground? 

Kevin took a right and we all followed him into a new district. Now that I thought about it, Kevin didn't look like the type of guy to be efficient at hunting these monsters. You could see that he was playing the tough guy persona, but in reality he was trembling constantly and twiddling with his spear. 

We turned another corner and soon reached a dead end. Each of the party members grew agitated and their eyes were fixated on Kevin who slowly turned around. 

"I... Uh... Seemed to have made a wrong turn." He quickly said, nervously. We were about to return when a sound started emerging. 

Thump! 

 I suddenly knew why there were no monsters in the area. The thumps started off light but gradually grew louder. The ground started to shake from the sheer pressure being pressed onto the floor. The thumps slowly stopped and a large bull turned and peered over at us. 

"Oh, it's Kevin... You've brought some new snacks for me..."

Kevin quickly jolted over behind the beast with a frightened countenance. 

"This is the only way I can survive..." He said, panting. It seemed like he was telling us that, but he was deluding himself into thinking what he was doing was absolutely necessary. That these pointless sacrifices had to go through for him to survive. 

The bull started walking slowly toward us, gazing at each of the meat he was about to consume. His eyes stopped on mine. 

"Aksel?" 

My heart skipped a beat. 

"Oh yeah. It's you buddy! From the photography company. Remember me? Kyle? Your friend?" 

"Kyle! Is that really you? You look so different."

"How did you get yourself wrapped up into this, buddy? Man, it feels like yesterday when we were hanging out and you were giving me ideas..."

"It sure does." I chuckled. "Can you let us go?" 

Kyle's face grew confused. 

"Now why would I do that? It's been days since I've had a good meal. Those two escaped from me the other day as well."

His meaty finger pointed to the two men who were on the hunting squad the other day. 

"Hey? Aren't we friends? Why won't you let us go?"

He looked at me blankly for a moment before laughing hysterically.

"Friends? Man, do you really still believe that?" 

The conversation ended abruptly as he charged forward and slammed one of the party members into the wall, breaking all of his ribs. His eyes slowly rolled back and his body became limp. Kyle then turned around and stomped his foot onto the ground, killing a party member like he was a bug. Pieces of his flesh and gallons on blood flew onto my body and my face. 

"Kyle...? Why? Just stop, we were friends remember? You were there for me everytime, remember?" 

Kyle turned toward me and I could see he was restraining himself from laughing. 

"You're such a fool. I was playing you, dumbass! You were good there so I used you, easy as."

He charged toward me horns first and flew me into the wall. 

"Gah!" 

I spat out blood and slumped onto the ground, looking up at him. I knew, but I didn't want to accept it. Kyle was the first person who stuck with me, even if it was for his own benefit. I was too caught up to acknowledge the truth and confront him. I just couldn't bring myself to it. 

"You're still as stupid as ever! No wonder everyone ignored you, you're just an idiot!" 

He grabbed me and launched me the opposite wall, a couple metres away. My eyes flashed as my body struck the wall. My durability wasn't going to keep up with these attacks. I had to move, but I didn't want to. I couldn't. Faced with the reality, I didn't want to move. 

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' feels remorse for you.]

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' is burning with rage!] 

I glanced down at my Dojigiri which was sheathed on my hip and it was emitting faint sparks of fire. 

[The Constellation 'Legendary Tachi Myth' is looking at you.]

Kyle stared at me, tilted his head then spoke in a disappointed manner. 

"Aw. It looks like you're no fun too. It's been forever since someone put up an actual fight. Am I just that strong? Eh, I'll just gobble all of you up anyways."

I gazed up at the rushing figure who was closing the distance between us. Steadily unsheathing and holding my Dojigiri, fire quickly erupted. The blazing fire was reflected in the eyes of Kyle's bull head as he focused on the vicious flame. 

"Wow. It seems I underestimated you Aksel. But you were never one to lift a finger, were you?" 

His beefy fist rose into the air and I rolled quickly to the left, dodging the impact. If I had taken another direct hit, there would have been no way to come out of this alive. I gripped my Dojigiri firmly as Kyle pulled his arm out of the rubble. 

I dashed forward quickly as my Dojigiri was sent ablaze. I leapt up into the air, appearing behind him whilst slicing his shoulder in the process. He staggered and screamed out in pain. 

"Aksel! You fucker!" 

Whilst howling out in pain, he quickly charged and sprinted towards me. With the surprisingly fast speed he possessed, I could only absorb the blow he threw at me with my Dojigiri. 

I braced myself as I was catapulted into rubble. I gazed up at Kyle, who's face was painted with agony. He ripped off a metal pillar from the ground then swung it toward me.

I leapt off the ground, hopping onto the pillar. It was time to end this, I was embarassing for letting this to go on for so long. I considered someone who used me a friend. I was truly pathetic. But I'm only human after all. My eyes met his as my stats explosively increased. 

[9,500 coins have been invested in agility.]

[Agility Lv. 18 -> Agility Lv. 40]

[An amazing wind lies in your body.]

[3,500 coins have been invested in strength.]

[Strength Lv. 20 -> Strength Lv. 30]

[Your muscles are squirming like they are monsters.]

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is rooting for you.]

[The Constellation 'Lady With The Lamp' is igniting her own flame.]

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' is cheering for you!] 

I took a deep breath as my Dojigiri burst up into flames. It was like its own sun. The heat reflected off Kyle's face as he watched it, stunned. His approach towards me instantly ended and my blade diagonally slashed his body, cutting it into pieces. His lower body plopped onto the ground and I gazed at his upper half, which quickly burst into flames. 

"Arghhhh!" 

Kyle shrieked out in agony as the flames swarmed his body. I dropped onto the ground, sheathing my blade and coughing up spittles of blood. To ignite those flames consumed a lot of my magic power, I would be out of commission for a little. I watched as Kyle aimlessly danced within the flames. 

The flames quickly died out and Kyle was looking like a burnt potato. Unfortunately, it looked like he had regenerative abilities and they were already in play. I crouched down to meet his eye level.

 "Are you just going to torture me or something...? Fuck you, just kill me already."

I smiled as I charged up my punch. This would be extremely satisfying. 

"Maybe this was something I should've done a long time ago."

My fist quickly connected with Kyle's deformed face and sent him flying through buildings. I raised myself up and slapped myself a few times in the face, it wasn't time to be so pathetic anymore. 

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is pleased with your victory.]

[You have been sponsored 3,000 coins.]

[A number of Absolute Good constellations are nodding their head in delight.]

[You have been sponsored 9,000 coins.]


I swatted away the dust from the debris and approached Kyle's unconscious body through the rubble. He wasn't dead yet, he really took that blow like a champ, huh? Whatever, it was time to give him his wish. I lifted my blade and pierced his heart. 

[You have earned 10,000 coins.]

[The 6th grade outside species 'Kyle Anderson' has been killed and the Demon King 'Victim of Delay' has noticed the murderer's presence.] 

[The Demon King 'Victim of Delay' will remember the one who dealt the final blow.]

[The Demon King 'Victim of  Delay' will search for the one who dealt the final blow.]

[Final Blow: Aksel Liebert]

My face quickly grew pale as the latter messages popped up onto the screen. 

[The Constellation 'She Who Brings Victory' is flabbergasted.]

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' is sighing.]

[Constellations of the Absolute Good are pleased.]

[You have been sponsored 4,000 coins.]

Dammit, no wonder why they suddenly popped up. Hopefully their interest in me subsides. I sighed and picked myself up, I turned to my left and saw a glowing green meteorite in the alley. 

"A prize?" I spoke sarcastically but still, I approached the meteorite and dug my sword into its exterior. I shattered its shell and a bunch of items came flooding out. Thank the heavens, it was about time I wore something new. 

[Enhanced Vantablack Coat - Replica] S-grade protective clothing. 

[Damage from attacks is reduced by 20%.]

[Your skin has become like diamond.]

[You can move more agilely than before.]

I equipped the coat right away and it fit my figure perfectly like a sponge. Seems comfortable, hopefully this doesn't get ripped to rags in a week. I picked up the other items, most of which were passive. 

[Ellain Forest Essence]

[Burning Fire Fingerless Gloves] 

These two stood out to me the most. I slipped the gloves on and of course, it fitted perfectly. I checked the description and it seemed to amplify fire power. It would clearly come in great use with my Dojigiri. That was all then, but I sighed in knowing what I would have to do next. 


I arrived at the settlement of the wanderers and strolled in. I saw Erich and he quickly rushed over and hugged me firmly. It probably isn't best to leave this little boy by himself for a long time, especially with a group of strangers. Speaking of this group, I gazed around but there was no one in sight. 

"Aksel..."

I looked down. 

"Yeah?" 

"They... They all hate you."

Hate me? What for? My question was answered as they all charged out their shabby houses with weapons. They held maces, spears and swords whilst steadily approaching me. 

"Get out of here!" 

"You killed him, you monster!" 

"I'll kill you right here!" 

Kill who? Did they mean Kyle? No... Why would they be friends with a monster? Could it be? 

Kevin came from the crowds, of course it was he that incited the mob. He disgusted me. How he could show his face here after all that he did, after all of the friends he sacrificed, he still showed his face here. 

"This monster!" He said, pointing at me with a horrified look. 

"He killed all of them! He killed everyone! I was lucky enough to rush out of there alive... He's a monster!" 

I saw that Erich was looking up at me with sorrowful eyes. He was probably wondering if it was true. I patted his head and walked toward Kevin. The crowd continously stepped back steadily as I stepped forward. 

"Enough with your lies Kevin, your acting is terrible. I only killed a giant bull you were feeding your friends to in exchange for food."

Kevin answered back quickly, extremely flustered. 

"N-no! You! You're a damn liar! I-I would never do such a thing!" 

Kevin turned back to the crowd as if he was looking at them for validation and they sure did respond. 

"Yeah! Kevin's right! He would never do such a thing!" 

"You monster! You're sickening!" 

"That's it, I'll kill you right now!" 

The shouts continued and I shrugged. These idiots annoyed me. 

"Fine. Maybe you'll listen to one of your own then. 

Behind me came another man, it was one of the members of the hunting squad who came out alive. Kevin's face grew hot red as the man walked in front to speak to the crowd. 

"Aksel's right! Kevin was feeding us to that monster, but Aksel stopped him and saved me!" 

Mixed emotions could be felt from the crowd, were these guys really that stupid? 

"Just take one look at this dude. Do you really think he can take on a beast and supply you with food everyday? He's your leader, yet he looks like he can't even help himself."

All eyes were on Kevin as he panicked. No way he looked like someone who was powerful. These guys were too focused on someone who could lead them, and that made them blind. They thought they were safe and comfortable and that led some of them to their own demise. The silence was broken quickly in the crowd. 

"Now that I think about it..."

"Yeah he does... Doesn't he?" 

"If what he said was true, then I'll kill Kevin right now."

The hive mind took action as a couple members rushed towards Kevin. The rest followed and they devoured Kevin whole. I covered Erichs curious eyes and watched the situation unfold. 

The ring surrounding Kevin eventually dispersed and his brutally crippled body was exposed. The members seemed to speak among themselves, it was obvious what they were talking about, without a leader what were they going to do? 

"He's strong isn't he? He took down that beast himself."

"Yeah. Maybe he'll be our new leader."

I raised my hand and stopped their thoughts in their track. 

"I have nothing to do with you. You all should fend for yourselves."

It was harsh but it was the truth. Faint despair filled their eyes but it wasn't a situation where I could help. 

"You all were pretty competent before. Elect a trustworthy leader within your members and get stronger. If you can't become strong enough so that no one can touch you, then make trusted colleagues. Isn't that common sense? That's the only way to survive in this world."

I smiled faintly due to my corny words. I stole those words from my favourite protagonist in a novel, he looked so cool then. I snapped back into reality and shook my smile away quickly. In this world, our only option was to get stronger. The wanderers chattered amongst themselves, verifying who should be their trusted colleague. 

I looked down at Erich and I saw his eyes looking up at me. It was finally time to depart. 

"We should probably go look for the others now, eh?" 

Erich nodded with a bright expression on his face. 

I turned, raising my hand as a gesture of departure to the wanderers and left with Erich by my side. I wonder how the others were doing right now? Hopefully we'll meet again soon. 

1