Chapter 23, Kingless World III
34 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Changed the constellation name 'Military Sage' to 'Military Sun Sage'


[Sub Scenario – Survival Activities]

Category: Sub

Difficulty: C+

Clear Conditions: Survive for 10 days in the ruined city. You should eat three meals a day and get at least six hours of sleep a day. Don't forget to pay 500 coins per day before going to sleep every night. There will be a clear penalty if you violate any of these three rules.

Duration: 10 days

Compensation: None

Failure: Death

* This is a scenario where a 'coin event' is applied.

* All monsters in the scenario have a certain probability of dropping coins.

 

Over the next couple of hours, Erich and I slaughtered monsters in order to complete the qualifications. We then began to rest in an abandoned house, roasting the plentiful meat we gathered on a stick. I gazed at Erich, who seemed to be in a melancholy daydream. My heart ached a bit, I didn't know what this child went through to survive up until this point. Erich caught my stare at him and shot me a quick, but fake, smile. I knew his true feelings.

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv. 6 has been activated!] 

「Sorrow.」

Erich dropped his head and gazed ground then muttered a couple of words.

"Hey Aksel? Do you ever think of your family?"

So this was what his mind was thinking about. I pondered for a brief moment before responding.

"I do. I don't have much family though, only my older brother. He's not in the city right now but I hope he's safe."

"Ah."

Erich glanced up at me before looking down again.

"Do you think of the others as family? Leo and Mia?" 

I was taken aback by his question. We all hadn't been together for very long but I indeed felt quite a bond between us. 

"Of course. I think of you as family as well." I spoke with a smile. 

[A bunch of constellations admire your parent-child relationship.]

[You have been sponsored 2,000 coins.]

Erich's expression quickly lit up, I truly felt sorry for this little child. Perhaps the sense of belonging was foreign to him, I wondered what went on between him and his family. I ruffled his hair and then pulled the meat away from the stove. 

"Dig in!" I exclaimed, then took a bite out of the meat. 

Erich did the same, copying my exact mannerisms. He demolished the meat then let out a loud burp. 

"Thank you Aksel..." He said with a faint smile before collapsing and falling asleep.  I grabbed a blanket then tucked Erich Caine in. Tomorrow would be a long day, I've been way too ignorant in regards to this scenario. 


We were up and running. Erich and I massacred another batch of monsters. After wiping the blood that splattered on my face, I looked up at the sky. What seemed like a wormhole was swirling in the sky, it had been like that ever since the Absolute Throne. I could practically sense a great danger coming from there, I shuddered at an ominous thought. 

"Kya!" I screamed. 

I quickly jumped in the air when a foreign creature touched me. It was a quite huge looking bug, but it seemed to not be hostile and just scurried off. The world seemed to be terraforming, like it was as if some new creatures were going to dominate Earth and make it their home. I glanced at the opposite side of the road and saw a large plant hurling itself over the ruined site. I stepped forward and eyes appeared on each of the branches. 

[Tier 8 plant, Epredirin, is leering at you.]

I retraced my step and backed away. It did not look friendly. Suddenly, the ground started to rumble and a large brown, centipede-like creature burst up from the ground and flung itself onto the plant. The plant lashed out at the centipede chewing its branches and flung the other remaining branches to obliterate the centipede. This was a sight that I wouldn't have imagined to see in a hundred years. 

"Aksel!" 

Damn it, I forgot I had Erich with me. I quickly sprinted over to the voice, I was so careless and let him out of my sight. I sent my Dojigiri ablaze and appeared at the scene. 

"Erich? You oka-" 

Erich was fine. In fact, he was leaning against an orange meteorite. 

"Hey Aksel! I found this, weird orange shell thing."

He proceeded to tap on the shell with a closed fist. 

"Hello? Hello? Anyone in there?" He said sarcastically. 

"Wait, Erich. Don't do tha-" 

The orange meteorite started to crack instantly. Erich had a terrified expression and backed away from the orange meteorite. I leapt in front of him and aimed my Dojigiri at the meteorite. 

A brilliant light emerged from the orange stone, illuminating the area that was darkened because of the vortex in the sky.

It was an awakening of a powerful presence that gave off a heavy pressure just looking at it.

The orange meteorite disassembled itself slowly and I shielded my eyes due  to the blinding light.

[You have encountered a creature from a different world for the first time in this scenario.]

[Affinity with the species from a different world has increased.]

[2,000 coins have been rewarded.]

[You have received a bonus skill for smooth communication with the other world species.]

['Other World Interpreter Lv. 1' has been acquired.]

I expected something grand to come out of it, but no. The light faded away and I gazed at the creature who was inside the orange meteorite. 

"Shnoooor mimimimimi..."

The creature was asleep. I furrowed my brow and approached the creature carefully. It seemed to be a diminutive monkey-looking creature which was covered in orange fur. It blew raspberries in its sleep and groaned. If this was an enemy, it's just best to kill it now. 

As soon as I raised my sword, it's tail perked up and he was awaken. The monkey dodged the descent of my sword, leapt onto my head and jumped off. I stumbled and shouted out to Erich

"Erich! Get away!" 

Erich was too slow and he dropped onto the ground trying to back away. The monkey approached him swiftly but just leapt over him and landed on the beat-up car. It stretched its arms and legs then went back to sleep. I grew irritated, who did this guy think he was? If he was an enemy, why didn't he kill us just now? 

I picked myself up and approached the monkey. 

"Erich. Stay away, okay?" 

Erich nodded but stayed close behind me. I pointed the tip of my sword at the monkey. He slowly opened his eyes and blinked a couple times. 

[The exclusive skill 'Other World Interpreter Lv. 1' is activated.]

[Automatic interpretation has started.]

"%#£*.. Already?" He spoke, with a lazy voice. 

The monkey looked up at me and tutted. 

"Human of earth, give me five more minutes or so..." The monkey turned over and fell back into sleep temporarily before waking up again. He looked like his soul left his body. 

"Wait... Where are the other guides?" He looked concerned. 

"What do you mean guides?" I grew confused.

The monkey wagged its tail in the air like it was trying to pinpoint something.

"Where is the owner of the Absolute Throne?"

"There is none."

The monkeys eyes widened.

"What do you mean there is none? The owner of the throne can't die yet."

I picked myself up triumphantly before proclaiming.

"They haven't died. The throne has been destroyed by me."

When I glanced again at the monkey, he looked like he was about to collapse.

"Good grief. This world is done for."  The monkey went back into its slumber.  

 This monkey riled me up. I grabbed it by it's nape and spoke. 

"Hey? Monkey dude? Who even are you? And who are these other guides and what does this have to do with the Absolute Throne?!" 

The monkey slowly opened his eyes with anger. 

"Lousy human... Don't you listen?" 

The monkey slipped itself from my grip, dropped onto the ground and bolted, landing on top of another car. 

"Fine." He growled. "I'm a Wrulese from Sironde. Not a monkey."

I sauntered over to the monkey. Now I was getting some information. 

"Sironde? What is that?" 

The monkey lowered itself and wrapped its tail around himself. 

"Wow. I really have to explain everything? The dokkaebis should just do it for me." He muttered, annoyed. He then yawned and replied to my question. 

"Sironde is the world I used to live in. It was destroyed by the catastrophes."

The atmosphere grew tense. The monkey darted his eyes over to me with a grievous expression. Eric watched in awe as the creature spoke. 

"Now after my world was destroyed, the dokkaebis gave us an offer to help another world survive the catastrophes. The five ruling species of Sironde elected one person from each species to help and teach another world. That's why I'm here right now. "

The monkey raised his head and looked solemnly at the sky, at the large vortex in the air. 

" So you're a guide?"

"You've got that right.  All of the guides were supposed to hatch together before the Absolute Throne. Now it's destroyed thanks to you and this world is doomed. I've explained everything now so let me be. " He lowered his head and nestled himself as he dozed off. He looked pretty comfortable but now wasn't the time to be comfortable. These catastrophes were here right now and I needed to get stronger to fight them. 

I stormed over to the monkey and thrusted my sword at him. I knew he wouldn't go down that easy so I had to provoke him to teach me. 

As I expected, the monkey leapt over my sword and landed on it, balancing on his tail. 

"If you're a guide, then teach me already!" 

"Ugh..." He said, rubbing his eyes.  "Fine, I'll teach you only under one condition."

 My face brightened. "Sure, I'll meet that condition under no time." I spoke, triumphantly. 

"If you can touch me with your hand then I'll teach you." He replied, drowsily. 

Really? It was that easy? I flung my sword away to send him off balance and reached out with my hand. It was just too easy, I would catch him as he fell. 

"Too slow." He grinned before propelling himself into the air like a ragdoll. 

He flew in the air then fell onto the hood of a car. He glimpsed at my previous location but I was no longer there.

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv. 6 has been activated!] 

 I was in the air, reaching for him. He yawned and dodged my hand swiftly, dropping onto the concrete. Even with my capture skill I couldn't catch him? 

"Is that really all you've got? You might as well give up now." He spoke. 

Give up? Not a chance. I've come too far to give up now. 

"Don't get so cocky, monkey."

He rolled his eyes then gazed at me. "Whatever, just give up already. I'm getting bored." 

"Not a chance."

If this was a battle about speed, then it only makes sense to increase my agility. 

[3,500 coins have been invested in agility.]

[Agility Lv. 40 -> Agility Lv. 45]

I used all my strength and dashed over to the monkey. The truth was clear, I've got him now. He yawned again, the monkey just about evaded my touch and bounced on top of me.

"This is going to be a long day." He muttered quietly. He was right. 

13th try, I was sent flying into a building. 

25th try, I was slapped in the face. That really hurt. 

32nd try, I was launched by his fierce wind. 

60th try, I came close to touching him but landed head first inside a dumpster. 

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is embarrassed.]

"You're persistent, I'll give you that." He spoke, digging into his ear. 

"And for your persistence, I think you're worthy of my name. It's Calssus." 

"Well you're not worthy of my name." I mumbled annoyingly. 

Calssus dropped onto the ground and rested near Erich who was watching eagerly. 

"Aksel!!" Erich shouted.  "Do you really think you can beat him? I mean, he's really fast and strong."

I broke my head free of the dumpster and turned my eyes to see Calssus standing up right next to Erich like he was being rewarded for his excellent service in the army. 

Fast and strong huh? I took this time to look at Calssus'  profile. 

[Exclusive Skill, Magnification Lv. 5 has been activated!]

Name: Calssus Kreocore

Age: 236 years old. 

Sponsor: Agile Torpor Elder 

Exclusive Attributes: Humiliated Survivor (Rare)

Exclusive Skills: Lethargy Lv. 15, Patience Lv. 10, Absolute Sense Lv. 9, Agile Feet Lv. 7,  Whispering Zephyr Lv. 6

Stigma: Rest Lv. 7

Overall Stats: Physique Lv. 35, Strength Lv. 25, Agility Lv. 40, Magic Power Lv. 30

Lethargy Lv. 15? It sure was obvious. As my eyes scanned his stats, my face grew irritated. His Agility is 5 levels lower than me yet I still can't touch him? I repeatedly cursed myself, I was too caught up on my growth and got too cocky. The window collapsed and I glanced at Calssus who was sleeping on Erich, using his thigh on a pillow. Erich was memorised by the monkey and stroked his fur. Did Erich know how old this dude was? He was treating him like a baby. 

"Just watch Erich." I said, stretching my arms a little. "This won't take any longer."

In fact it did.


The next day came. I was exhausted after failing 154 times. 

[The Constellation 'Mischievous Chiasa Fox' is giggling at you.]

The monkey was fast asleep, I hadn't attempted to try him in a while. Erich was busy eating a piece of meat that he and Calssus gathered. 

"Hey Aksel." He said whilst chewing on his food.  "I thought you said you were gonna beat this guy already."

I glanced up at him with a vexed expression. A horrified look grew on his face. 

"W-Well! I was just saying that it's been a day already!"

I again leered at the monkey who was sound asleep. It was embarrassing. My stats were higher but I couldn't beat him. What did he have that I didn't? I sighed heavily and spoke. 

"Don't worry Erich. This'll be the last try for sure."

I clenched and unclenched my fist repeatedly. Too much time has been robbed. 

"Hey monkey! I know you're awake! Let's get this over with!" 

Calssus opened one eye and grinned. 

"You're confident now, eh? But how long is that confidence going to last?" 

I gritted my teeth and dashed forward for Calssus. It definitely wasn't going to end here, so I needed to look for his possible escapes. 

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv. 6 has been activated!] 

I simultaneously bounced in the air with Calssus. I saw his grin. 

"You've improved."

My hand was flown back as he flew into the air. This wind move of his was annoying, but it looked useful. 

I landed back onto the ground but regained my pace and jumped quickly. Unsheathing my sword, I flung it in the air, It came to rain down on Calssus. Calssus turned his body quickly, directed his wind and deflected the sword. 

"Hey! The rules were just to touch me!" He said, glancing back down. 

"It's called a distraction." Spoke a voice from above Calssus. 

He turned around quickly but it was too late. I grabbed his arm and we both fell to the ground. To be precise, I fell onto the ground still attached to Calssus as he floated on his wind inches away from the ground. 

Calssus looked annoyed but the expression subsided. 

"Good job, lousy student." He said, with a faint grin on his face. 

"I'm not your damn student." I said, my voice muffled due to my face being planted on the ground. 

"Good job Aksel! I knew you could do it!" Erich Caine cheered from the sidelines. He truly was my number one supporter in this situation, I was about to give up if not for him. I also couldn't give up as I had to wipe that previous smug smile from that monkeys face. 

Calssus withdrew his wind and landed onto the ground. 

"Well, that was the easy part. Now comes the hard part." 

That was... Easy? 

I lifted my face from the ground and saw Calssus channeling air in his palm. 

"You've fulfilled my condition, so I shall teach you about the Whispering Zephyr. To master this will be extremely difficult, even more difficult than the previous task."

Calssus focused the wind in front of my face and it dispersed. 

Wait a minute. You're telling me I have to actually learn this? Why isn't there a message just asking if I want to learn the skill?! 

" Listen and look well." Spoke Calssus. 

I sat down in a criss-cross pattern and watched Calssus. 


2 hours passed and I was still practicing how to master Whispering Zephyr. 

"Your form's terrible!" cried out Calssus. He slapped me on the face and that left another red mark. 

"How many times do I have to explain it! Let the magic power flow into your palm, you have to channel it carefully! Imagine a spiral in your head and replicate it into reality!" This monkey was too harsh. 

"It's not my fault that your teaching is garbage."

The monkey danced around angrily like an actual monkey.

"I'll have you know that this teaching has been passed down for generations in the Wrulese clan!"

He gave me another slap on the cheek. I sunk onto the ground.

"What are you doing?! We aren't done yet!"

"I have to rest again. I've consumed all of my mana already."

Calssus tutted and walked away. It's not like my magic power was as high as his, I couldn't go as long as he did.

[A constellation who likes magic is frowning at your progress.]

I cursed the constellation under my breath and gazed at my palms. I wasn't good enough, I'm not talented enough. I fell onto my back and examined the hole that was in the sky.

It seemed to have grown bigger after the last few days. My belly then rumbled violently and I blushed silently due to the embarrassment. The vortex reminded me of my precious swiss roll cakes, the ones I'd munch everyday, be it before work or after work. If I knew this apocalypse was going to happen, then I would've stacked up with hesitation. 

I raised my hand whilst thinking about those scrumptious swiss roll cakes. Wind suddenly started to form slowly. I jolted upright and started to channel it slowly. The cold wind swirled in front of me and the direction of the wind started to twist.

Calssus suddenly darted his eyes to me and dashed.

"Aksel! You finally did it! How?" 

I glanced back at Calssus who's happy expression seemed to subside slowly. 

"I was just thinking about some swiss roll cakes!" 

I turned back around saw that the wind that was previously there had died out. It seemed that I still didn't get the hang of it. He chased me around for what felt like eternity until I became subject to his blows. 

" Lousy, lousy, lousy human!" He screamed whilst repeatedly striking me. 

He stopped lashing his wrath out on me and walked away sternly. 

"Well to be fair, you do have a knack for it a bit. It took me seventy years to master Whispering Zephyr."

My jaw dropped. 

"Seventy years?! What makes you think I have that long?! Why bother even teaching me this?!" I had never been so angry in my life. I felt like I was incited to kill when Calssus just glanced back and shrugged. 

"You asked me to teach you, it's the only thing I could teach."

Calssus smirked when he saw my fiery rage burn bright. I chased him around but that rage didn't last long as we were abruptly interrupted by a third party. My senses became alert when I heard several, but what seemed like a hundred, men and women alike approaching us. 

"Wait. They might be friendly." I said to Calssus, who grew fierce. 

The march came to a halt when they surrounded us. I looked around but it was clear the leader hadn't shown himself yet. Somebody clapped behind the men and they made a path. Of course it had to be him. 

"It's you again!" exclaimed the Astute King as he walked through the path. 

"Yeah... Me..." I mumbled. I literally destroyed the Absolute Throne in the center of Griemore and this guy didn't know my name? 

"If something so urgent hadn't came up, I would be asking you for a duel right now. I know my sponsor wants such."

[The constellation 'Military Sun Sage' is demanding for a rematch!] 

[A constellation who hates fighting is telling constellation 'Military Sun Sage' to shut up.]

"But, there's an important matter that needs attending to. A shell has hatched in the West and in it a large beast came out, like a serpent. My subject had escaped quickly and lived to tell the tale." Spoke the Astute King. 

"I was approaching the West but, luckily, I found you!" Said the Astute King joyfully. 

I darted my eyes behind me. 

"So, if I understand what you're saying, you want me to deal with that beast?" 

The Astute King nodded slowly. 

"I will go to the North and deal with the beast that is about to hatch there."

The Astute King was about to walk off before I quickly called out to him. 

"Hey, wait! What's your name? It's common courtesy to share yours too."

The Astute King stopped in his tracks and spoke. 

"If you get out of this alive, I'll tell you once we meet again."

Even though he wasn't facing me, I could tell he had a sinister grin on his face. The Astute King raised his hand and his followers started to march behind him. I couldn't lie, he looked pretty damn cool. 

I watched as the last remaining members departed and turned to Calssus. 

"Calssus! Let's go West as quickly as-" 

"No thanks." He yawned. 

"I'm tired after all the training. You can go yourself, you're capable enough." He scurried and hopped onto a car. Before you knew it, he was fast asleep. I was about to kill this monkey. I turned to Erich who was gleaming with delight. I patted his head. 

"Don't push yourself too much, okay?" 

Erich looked up and nodded vigorously. 

[The incarnation 'Erich Caine' has used 'Diverse Communication Lv. 4'!]

[The 4th grade insect king, Meganisoptera has appeared!]

I was nearly flown away after giant gusts of wind became present. I gazed at Erich who's nose was bleeding badly, I then gazed at the giant creature he had just summoned. Erich mounted onto the dragon fly who had just landed and shouted out to me. 

"Come on Aksel! Let's go!"

I apprehensively approached the large dragon fly who's beady eyes started at me. I quickly mounted on and looked down as we slowly ascended. 

"Hold on tight! He's really fast!" Erich Caine yelled. 

I barely had time to reply. We zoomed to the West. 

1