Chapter 1.2: Thorns – Harold PoV
217 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

—"So... Vince is going on a trip?"

Who asks this question is Jennifer, my niece. She grew up a lot, right Monica? She was so small in the past, but now...

Thin eyelashes and eyebrows, black hair tied with a pink rubber band making a side ponytail, a smooth face with green eyes, long legs, and a slender body... She's as beautiful and cute as you, sis.

I'm keeping my promise to take care of them, right?

As her school is close to home, we talk as we walk on the streets of the neighborhood.

—"He's going. Lady Lisa also made me promise to try to convince him if he wasn't. But in just two days he'll be back. Why don't you use the opportunity, and have a slumber party with your friends from school? This way you won't be lonely."

—"Hmpf. If he wants to go, that's fine. But her again? I'm not surprised, but it's always like this! She keeps clinging too much on him! It is quite obvious what this means. Why don't she say something sooner? She'll wait forever for him to go and say "I've always liked you!" or something? Is she thinking this is some kind of rom-com?"

I kinda understand her feelings, but I also see the other side of the situation as a whole.

The Woods family is a traditional one. Although society nowadays has many changes in concepts of family and relationships, her parents follow something apart of this. I remember the day she joined Vince in high school. If her parents knew that she wanted to go to that school because of a boy, they never allowed such a thing. In fact, it could've made them be apart.

So for Lisa, it must be hard muster up courage. She's probably maintaining the status quo, till a chance to get all she wants appears. Well, I don't think it's something Jennifer can understand for now.

-"Jenny, don't be so harsh, maybe she has a reason. We also can't avert our eyes from Vince, that also has his own feelings about the matter." 

As far as I know, the love subject was always a mystery to Vincent.

Haha, this kind of thinking brings me to the past. Getting dumped, start dating, breaking up and so on... Looking back in time, now that I'm in my 40's... it was unique experiences. The anger, happiness, passion, and all the other feelings that revolve on romantic relationships... That hurricane of emotions surely makes a person change.

Teenagers have this urge to go at full throttle with romance... But he never gave any hint about... Is he just oblivious? Or maybe it's hiding something? Hmm.

—"Now that you said, it's true. Well, I'm just saying. Not that I really care." She says as she starts to look at the sky while pondering. 

—"It's just... I feel something odd. You see uncle, from the stories I've heard and read it's almost a common knowledge that childhood friends never win. She never considered someone showing up and snatching him away? She could at least guarantee her prize, making him lovestruck for her. I know she's a good person, I'd rather he to be with her instead of someone I don't even know."

After she says, we head toward our apartment, followed by idle talks.


 

A couple of weeks later

 

Thursday morning. The sun shines, summer has begun today.

Vincent is shopping, buying things for the trip. Jennifer is at a friend's house.

For me, work as usual.

As I enter the building, Carl, one of my co-workers is also in the hallway. He's wearing the same model of black suit like me, probably from the same store. The only difference is our ties, mine is gray, his is blue. He has shoulder-length black hair and blue eyes.

If you allow me to say, he's a good fellow, always considerate to everyone. We often go bowling on weekends.

—"Heard yesterday's news?" He asks.

—"Ah, yes. The company crushed that other one. Big fish eat the smallest, huh. This is the world of business. But as we know, it really won't change anything to us."

—"True. Ah, this week Karen is going too, okay?" He tells me.

—"Ah, the warehouse one? I heard she's married, watch out."

It's basically this guy problem. Inconsequence.

—"Sure, sure. Don't worry, that's not my first ride."

The elevator opens, and we go inside.


 

At the end of my shift, after passed by a market, I'm bringing a few things I bought.

—""Welcome home!""

Says Vincent along with Jenny.

Oh! It looks like they're making dinner.

4 years ago, Vince asked me to teach him how to cook. He told me: —"I wanna lighten the burden you have with us".

I felt a bit uneasy, even if his words were so considerate, leaving the kitchen to children was... 

But in short, the two learned. Jenny learned this year. Thank God we had no accidents. In the end, they began to have some autonomy. They can live by themselves, at least in the food subject.

—"There's a good smell here... what today's menu?" I ask them.

—"Butter chicken, rice, and a salad composed of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and carrots! Soon my cooking skills going high-five the sky, right Vin?"

—"Haha, sure Jen. It's all set, let's eat. Don't forget to wash your hands."

So we proceed to the table, and before I can sit down, my phone starts ringing.

—"Just a moment kids," I say while tapping the screen. -"Hello?"

—"Ahh... It's Harold speaking, right? It's me."- A familiar voice speaks.

...

—"I think you called wrong sir, have a good day."

—"Wait, wait! I know what I did but now you need to hear me, it's serious..."

I turn off the call.

—"Let's eat."

Hey sis, another blissful dinner.


 

Two weeks later

 

—"So, didn't forget anything?" I ask.

—"Yup. It's just 2 days, even if I need something I can manage it somehow. Don't worry." Vincent answers. —"Bye-bye Jenny, uncle Harold."

—"Bye Vince! Don't forget to bring me a souvenir!" Says Jennifer, while waving her hands cutely.

—"Sure, I'll bring you something beautiful."

And so he lefts.

I shower, and what comes next is my suit and tie. On my way to work, I see Carl in the hallway and he seems energic today.

It's probably some new gossip or did he have sex with... Was it Karen this time? Or was it Gina? Can't this guy be more obvious?

—"Morning, Harold!" He says with a smile on his face.

—"Good morning, Carl. What kind of news you bring me today?" I said a little bored.

—"Oh, my dear friend!" He says as he begins to whisper near my ear. —"I have blasting news! Remember Alana? Human Resources? While we were resting yesterday, after moaning so cutely, she told-No, wait, listen to me! It's serious! You see, her husband is related to one of the guys in the high chairs of the Cayden Company. It seems like this company and the Woods Company have plans to merge.

The negotiations are almost over, the only thing left is to seal the deal with one of the most tacky way they could think! It seems like an interview for Jack Woods's daughter is on wait! Like, arranged marriage? Geez, such an old fashion. Well, not that the kids have much voice on this, that's traditional families for you."

—"You have a spare umbrella? I forgot mine today."

—"I have one on my desk, but... do you think it's gonna rain? today's weather looks like-Wait, Harold? Are you okay? Your face seems like something bad happened."

The elevator closes after we enter.

1