10- The Longspears
220 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I... I am sorry your Highness," The eriny stuttered as her face paled and she struggled to remain standing.

Her apology did nothing to quench the anger I was feeling, they rarely did when Zagmuz was angry at someone. But fortunately for her, I was mindful of these bursts of emotions this time, I wasn't that far gone and lost in Zagmuz's anger to forget what I was trying to accomplish, I had to get my anger under control again and steer the conversation back to where I needed it to be; I needed to get them to tell me who their inside man in Border Town was.

I first got this idea when I was wondering how I should tell the guards in Border Town about the invasion, one of the ways I came up with was just saying that I heard some shady people talking about it, and I thought that it was important enough to report. Then it hit me, the demons must have someone on the inside for an operation like this, I just needed to find out who it was, and my lie wouldn't be that off anymore.

So with my goal in front of me, I closed my eyes and started taking deep breaths, bringing my anger and irritation under control. It didn't take me long to do so, as was clear from how the flames around my fist disappeared slowly.

When I finally stabilised my emotions, I threw the eriny a cold look, trying to show that my anger was just under the surface and that any minor spark can ignite it again, I wanted to use the episode that I had just gone throw to direct the conversation towards where I wanted it to be.

"You better make sure that something like that won't happen again," I threatened, "or things won't end so well for you."

The eriny nodded hurriedly to show that she understood, and I snorted before asking:

"So, what was that about knowing all that is happening in Border Town?" 

I kept my speech slow and indifferent, but internally my heart was drumming, I was this close to getting a lead, and keeping the uninterested facade I had was becoming hard.

"We... We have some people from inside Border Town working for us," answered the eriny, seeing how she didn't look at Kildor for permission gave me a sense of satisfaction, which I tried to ignore, dealing with Zagmuz's personality was a pain sometimes, "a while back, we managed to smuggle a kalla to the town with their help, and they are feeding us all that we need to know about the situation in the town."

I frowned slightly when I heard the name of the demon they managed to smuggle to the town. Kallas were obviously another type of demons, they were some of the smallest demons out there, they could barely reach the size of a human head, they had bat-like wings and ink-black skin, their arms were long and dangled in front of them, touching the ground when they stood on their legs. And their most distinguishing feature was that their heads shone with a bright red colour, they were quite noticeable even in the light because of how bright they were.

Their unique power, and the reason I was concerned about one of them being inside the town, was how they could communicate with each other over long distances, they basically had their own built-in network, one that was quite untraceable and hard to protect against.

"What you are saying..." I started after a while of silence, "Is that the people who are giving you these information are humans?"

"Yes your Highness... they are the ones gathering the information and passing it to us through the kalla," The eriny answered as she threw Kildor an uncertain glance.

"And you trust them? You realize how idiotic this sounds, right?" I tried to show my disbelief as I fished for more information.

"We are sure that they won't betray us," It wasn't the eriny who answered, but Kildor who finally intervened, "they are quite greedy, they only care about money and power, and we made sure to pay them well, along with promises of bigger rewards when we take control of the town."

"And who are they?" I pushed as I regarded him, "do they even have the ability to help us in this? Or did you just find some bottom feeders and gave them one of the most important tasks in this invasion."

"You don't have to worry about that, your Highness," Said Kildor, "the people we chose have a big say in how things are done in Border Town. They run most of the underground dealings, and are well versed in keeping low while gathering important information, we are sure that they are the right people for the job."

Back in Border Town, when I heard what Kildor said, I drew a blank in Dorian's body, I recognized straight away who Kildor meant, and how disastrous the situation was for me.

"So we are working with criminals," I said in disgust and mockery.

"It's a war, we must do all that we can to improve our chances of winning," said Kildor, I felt that he was just saying that to get me out of his back, not really caring about what I was saying. Not that I cared, I myself just said the first thing that came to my mind, while as Dorian, I was stressing over how to find the proof that the invasion was happening.

What Kildor said brought one name to my mind, the Dark Blades gang. they were undoubtedly the strongest gang in Border Town and their leader, Bruce, matched the brief description Kildor gave.

If it was really them who were working with the demons, then I didn't have a lot that I could do. I had hope of gathering some evidence before going to the guards and presenting it to them, but this was way out of my league, I could only go and try finding some of the guards and tell them what I knew.

Not wanting to waste any time, I stood up as Dorian and walked to the door, just as my hand touched the doorknob though, I froze as I remembered something, who Bruce was.

The Marquess of Brightglow had control over a big stretch of land, and he had many Viscounts and Barons under him, with each of them controlling their own land and having to pay taxes and help in times of need by sending their own men to fight with him.

Of course, a small place like Border Town didn't have a Viscount or Baron governing it. Instead, the one who was overseeing things there was an old and accomplished knight of Marquess of Brightglow, Sir William Longspear, and Bruce, the Dark Blades's leader's family name was Longspear. He was Sir William's second son.

That thought and what it implied froze my blood, if it was only Bruce who was into this, then things were still alright, but if even Sir William was a part of this betrayal, then my situation would have gone from bad to worst. And the biggest problem is that I didn't know how to check this out.

As I started thinking about that and my thoughts began wandering through the different possibilities, the pressure of what I had to do and how to deal with this started mounting and I found my breaths coming shorter and shorter.

With my hand still on the doorknob, I fell to my knees as I began hyperventilating, everything seemed so much bigger than me, and I had no idea about how to deal with any of this.

Fortunately, this state I found myself in didn't last long, I was already on guard against my bodies' effects on me, so as soon as I saw the signs of a panic attack coming upon Dorian, I tried to calm down and isolate the out of control emotions, not letting them pass to Zagmuz.

This led to the weird sensation of having two distinct emotions cruising through me at the same time, I mean this wasn't the first time that happened to me since I found that I was in control of three bodies, but it  was the clearest of them all, I was as Dorian on an extreme, while as Zagmuz I just tried to restrain my emotions calmly, striving to bring them under control again.

When I finally succeeded in that, I looked at the matter at hand carefully as I studied how I could go on with this. With my mind clear and calm, without any of the panic I suffered from just seconds ago, I soon came up with something that might work. Or at least help me with what's coming.

I had to get more people into this, people whom I trusted and was sure that they won't work with the demons no matter what, and I had just the right people in mind.

I had to go meet Lambert and captain Dunn.

9