22- Getting the Kalla
292 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lambert shot one of his arrows at the demon, who jumped back to avoid it, something he barely succeeded in with how the needles were affecting him. Taking advantage of the opening Lambert gave them, both Mrs Sam and captain Dunn made their moves, Mrs Sam throwing yet another one of her needles and captain Dunn lunging forward and cutting at the fiyavtic's stomach.

The fiyavtic had no way of avoiding the needle, but he did move his greatsword to block the captain's attack, even though he wasn't that successful in doing so as the hit was too strong for his single arm to block normally, using a two-handed greatsword one-handedly wasn't easy, especially with how the needles were affecting the demon.

With his greatsword deflected away, Lambert shot another arrow at the big demon, not giving him any chance to get himself together, this one did hit his stomach once again.

"Ahhh!" Frustrated and in pain, the fiyavtic shouted loudly as he turned to Mrs Sam and charged towards her. He seemed to have thrown everything to the wind and decided to at least take one person down with him. And it was then that I saw my chance.

With the raging fiyavtic charging over, I aimed at his knee and following the memories of all my three bodies, who seemed to have had some training with crossbows, I pulled the trigger hitting his right knee just as he was putting all his strength on it. I watched in what felt like slow-mo as the fiyavtic's knee gave away and he fell down face first, and just behind him, captain Dunn brought his sword towards his neck, his sword shone brightly, almost blinding me for a split second before it returned to normal.

When it did, I saw that the fiyavtic's head had been cut cleanly from his neck and I watched in shock and dumbfoundedness as it rolled to just a few steps away from me, with the fiyavtic's lifeless eyes looking at me unblinkingly. I took a few steps back as every single bit of control I had over my emotions and self just fell away along with whatever captain Dunn put on me. The initial shock of seeing someone dying in front of me was way beyond what I could handle at that moment, especially with Dorian's effects on me.

I felt my heart tighten and the heat leaving my body, it was as if I was in a weird dream, it almost didn't feel real. This weird state reached me even in Denethor's body, but the elf's collected and calm mind helped keep me grounded, not like how Dorian's personality only made me feel worse.

I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder as the captain's stern voice entered my ears:

"Get yourself together, now isn't the time to be like this, calm down and start moving, that's an order!"

His voice and how he spoke stabbed at my heart, and when he said, 'that's an order', I found myself standing straighter as I put all the chaotic feelings that were going through my heart aside and focused on what to do next, on captain Dunn's orders.

Actively ignoring the head that still had its lifeless eyes on me, I looked at captain Dunn who nodded at me and then said to everyone in the room:

"Lambert, go wait at the stairway and tell us if anyone comes down here, everyone else let's head to the room the fiyavtic came from and see if we can catch the kalla."

I followed his orders without thinking and made my way quickly to that room alongside captain Dunn and Mrs Sam. When we were just a few steps away from it, I knew that the kalla was there without even peeking in, the faint red light from inside was already enough of an indication of that. And just as expected, when we entered the room, we were met with the sight of a frightened and cowering kalla.

The kalla was how I expected it to be, a small fairy-like creature, just more demonic and nightmare-inducing, its skin was as black as night and it had bat-like wings that sprouted from its back, its arms were long and they extended all the way down to its feet, and then the most eye-catching thing about the kalla, it's big head was shining with a strong red light, it almost lit the whole room in a bloody red.

Once we saw the kalla, Mrs Sam lifted her hand and threw one of her needles at it, freezing it straight away. Kallas were some of the weakest demons physically, it was understandable that one of them wouldn't be able to fight against one of Mrs Sam's needles that was even able to freeze a human. After the kalla was frozen, Mrs Sam entered the room and held its small and fragile body with one hand before turning to captain Dunn and nodding, we got what we came there for, we only needed to get out of there safely.

"We got it," Said captain Dunn to Lambert as we left the room. This time his voice has a different quality to it, as if the real significance of what we were doing finally settled in with the possible proof that an army was heading our way, "we have to get this kalla and what we know out there, we can't lose this, if anyone stands in our way, you are allowed to use lethal force."

His words gave me conflicting feelings, I felt happy and a bit relieved knowing that they finally believed what I had been saying, and that the demon's secret invasion wouldn't be so much of a secret anymore, but I also felt some bitterness and my heart skipped a beat when I heard him mention lethal force. I knew that a lot of people were going to die in the near future, but it still didn't really sink in.

"Lambert, lead us out," Ordered captain Dunn, "just run straight away towards the wall, we made quite a commotion, they are probably already on their way here, there's no need for stealth anymore."

Lambert just nodded before he headed up the stairs while keeping his body crouched, once he reached the top, he whispered:

"We are clear, but there is a group of people heading our way, we should hurry up."

"Go!" was all that captain Dunn said.

We ran out of the stairway as fast as we could, and then we made it out through the door of the kitchen. Just as we did, we heard the sound of approaching footsteps and the chaos all around us, it was just as captain Dunn said, there was no point in stealth anymore, getting out as fast as possible was our main priority.

We ran down the backyard while doing the minimum to keep ourselves hidden from sight, using what few trees and bushes to stay out of our pursuers' eyes, which must not have been enough because they were soon on our trail.

Once we were close enough to the wall to see it, Lambert and captain Dunn accelerated as if they had planned it beforehand, and the same as before, Lambert climbed the wall straight away while captain Dunn prepared himself with his fingers linked together as he looked at me. Getting his message, I sprinted then just like before, jumped up and using his hands as a stepping stone, along with the force of him pushing me, I pulled myself up the wall. I and Lambert then pulled Mrs Sam up the wall before captain Dunn followed us all.

Once we were out, I felt as if a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I almost fell down in relief, but I held myself as I knew that we weren't in the clear yet, we were too close to the manor to consider ourselves out of the waters.

"Sam, go to the guardhouse and ask Thompson to gather all the guards, ask him to send half of them here to Bruce's manor and encircle it, I want everyone to be trapped in there. as for the second half they should be sent to the castle. Lambert, you head to Sir Jackson and ask him to gather all the army's leaders and head to the castle too, as for you Dorian, you are coming with me."

After saying all of that, captain Dunn took the still frozen kalla from Mrs Sam and turned toward the castle, not waiting for any of us to react.

I managed to give Lambert one last encouraging nod which he returned before both of us went our separate ways, it was time for this night to end.

8