Interlude I: The Kingdom of the Sacred Tree Pt. 2
3.7k 23 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hearing her father’s question, Diana’s eyes dropped as a hesitant expression covered her face. However, Diana quickly regained her bearings as she looked back to her father's sharp eyes and answered:

 

“Father, we rode at the fastest pace we were capable of and managed to arrive at the elven sacred forest in 5 days. As soon as we arrived, we  began searching for signs of the demon cultists and were able to quickly find them thanks to Charlotte's seeing a strange accumulation of mana in the environment. However, although we managed to intercept the demon cultists as they were beginning their summoning ritual… “

 

Seeing his daughter pause in her recounting of the events, the king raised his eyebrow as he silently implored his daughter to continue. However, instead of his daughter answering, the blonde youth called out in a reverential yet somewhat casual tone:

 

“If I may, your majesty”

 

As soon as he finished saying this, the youth began to stand. Taking it as some form of que, the rest of the group also began to rise as the king nodded in assent telling the youth to continue as the youth responded:

 

“Though we were able to intercept the cultists as they were carrying out their ritual, we were unable to stop them from activating it. However, I do not believe you need to worry, for we were able to interrupt the process and almost all of the energy needed to carry out the summoning was dispersed into the atmosphere.”

 

“But the summoning ritual still activated, did it not, Allen?”

 

Hearing the question from the king, Allen’s expression soured slightly as he answered:

 

“Well… yes, yes it did, your majesty…”

 

Releasing a sigh the king shook his head in clear frustration. At this sight, the big hat wearing mage spoke up in what was undoubtedly a manner lacking proper etiquette, though no one seemed to particularly mind as though they were used to it as she said in a mischievous tone:

 

“Really, this is why I said we should have gone in immediately to stop them~”

 

Then, releasing the staff in her hands as the staff defied gravity and simply stood still, despite standing somewhat tilted, the girl spread her hands out in an ‘exasperated’ manner as she continued:

 

“As soon as we found the cultists, I told them that we should go in and attack them. After all, Zilva and I could have surprise attacked them from a far and safe distance. However, when I proposed this, they all told me ‘Nooooooo, we need to keep observing them to make sure nothing unexpected happens’ and then the next thing you know, the summoning ritual had activated!” 

 

Seeing her finishing her recounting, Allen released a sigh and turned to look at the mage as he asked in an exasperated voice:

 

“Oh, while that might be true, who was the mage who kept excitedly observing the ritual once it activated instead of calling forth her attack as we had previously planned? Hmmm, Charlotte? You wouldn’t know now, would you?”

 

Hearing Allen’s words and seeing his accusatory gaze, Charlotte turned her head head away as she put her hands behind and gave out a ‘Ehehehe~’ nervous laugh. Observing from his throne, the king let out a sigh as he called out:

 

“You two, that is enough. I understand that you must be tired and may wish to release some of your pent up stress, but now is not the time. Tell me Edwards, did something manage to get summoned into this world, and what was it?”

 

At this moment, the spearman stepped forward as he answered,

 

“Your majesty, while something did get summoned into this world, we were not able to find it during our retreat. However, Charlotte was able to ascertain that whatever was summoned into this world would be relatively harmless as there simply was not enough mana for the formation to summon a formidable vessel to serve as the new body of the Demon King.”

 

At this moment, Charlotte stepped up as she said:

 

“It is as Edwards says your majesty, since I was able to look into the formation for quite awhile, though I was sadly unable to discern its workings, I was able to understand that they were trying to summon a powerful being and also put a spell to control its will as soon as it was summoned. However, with the ritual interrupted, whatever they did end up summoning could be nothing more than a simple demon or monster, and the mind control spell was never able to activate, so I doubt that they even know where it is.”

 

“What do you mean that even the cultists don’t know where it is? Was whatever they summoned no summoned into the formation?”

 

“I’m afraid not your majesty, for some reason, when we disturbed the spell, it also seemed to affect the location of the summoning that caused whatever was summoned to appear somewhere else in the sacred forest. While we were not able to find it, I don’t think the cultists were able to either, as the elves of the sacred tree put out both of their great barriers, most likely being wary of whatever it was that they summoned since they weren’t able to bring it under their control.”

 

Hearing this, the king adopted a tired expression as he grumbled:

 

“So this does mean that the high elves are working with the demon cultists, really… what a bunch of fools. They think that by working with the cultists they’ll be granted great powers in return, but what those fools don’t know is the true terrifying power of the Demon Lord. They think they’ll be granted great powers through the Demon Lord’s [Subordinate] skill. Hmphhhh, those fools don’t know that the Demon Lord’s possesses an even greater ability. From the information left behind by our ancestors we know that whatever ability the Demon Lord used to subjugate others, it not only granted them power in exchange for their allegiance, but it allowed the Demon Lord to completely dominate those who were his subordinates. They’re simply selling their souls and pride for nothing. What a despicable bunch.”

 

The group, seeing the king finish his grumbling and hearing information that they knew was certainly confidential, couldn't help but release a wry smile. When the king turned to look at them with an expression they knew all too well, Allen stepped forward as he usually did in such circumstances as he answered the unasked question:

 

“Don’t worry your majesty, we won’t tell a soul.”

 

Following Allan’s statement, the rest of the group minus Diana nodded and gave short responses in consent. With this being finished, the King turned to look towards his left side and addressed the old man wearing decorative armor as he said. Gabriel, have the knights patrol the outskirts of the sacred forests and look for anything suspicious, if you so much as find something demonic or evil, kill it immediately!”

 

Responding to the king, the old man saluted by placing his hand on his forehead as he gave out a loud ‘Yes!’ and immediately moved to carry out his orders.

 

Seeing the man walk away, the king then turned to the rotund man to his right and said:

 

“Carl, send a missive to the guild master informing him of the summoning as well as the potential alliance between the elves of the sacred forest and the demon cultists. As soon as you’ve done this, send a message to our neighbors informing them of the summoning and to watchout for any potential threats.”

 

The rotund man bowed respectfully as he answered saying “Right away, sire” and also left to immediately carry out his duties.

 

With only the group of 5 left in front of him, the king addressed the group as he said.

 

“As for you 5, after you finish recuperating in the capital for a week, I want you to immediately head out to the city nearest to the sacred forest, Dene, and look for any signs of the demon cultists or anything else of interest. If you don’t find anything after a week of searching, then you can come back for further instructions. Do you lot understand?”

 

“””””Yes, your majesty!”””””

 

“Good, then you may excuse yourselves”

 

Seeing the group head out of the hall and finding himself all alone, the king relaxed himself as he laid against his throne and looked up to the ceiling, mumbling to himself:

 

“Haaaa, the times are changing and for the worst. I fear it won’t be more than a decade until the Demon Lord rises once more, no matter what happens, we can’t allow whatever was summoned to reach the Demon Lord. Even if it is not a vessel capable of resurrecting him, it could still be used to speed up his return, and with the way fate words, it will undoubtedly be compelled to head towards the demon lands and seek the tomb of the Demon Lord. 

 

Haaaa, there’s also the problem with the future heroes. While the sages have been able to divine that they both have already made their appearance, all we know about them outside the great fate they carry is that they are a boy and a girl and still far too young to be able to provide meaningful assistance. If we can’t locate them in time and prepare them for the fight, then we might find ourselves in quite a pickle. I’m afraid fate has already begun moving towards a new great confrontation. I just pray that this time, we will be more prepared than our ancestors were a millennia ago. That way, there won’t be so much bloodshed in the struggle to come…”

90