Chemistry & Alchemy
1.6k 5 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanks to [Book of Truth], I felt my memory improve and was able to make some rather impressive progress as I made my way through the first half of the first book. With the clock showing 10 minutes before 6. I decided to call it a day and took the books back to their shelf before making my way to the reception area.

Once I had made my way there, I saw Kelvin attending to a few visitors who were apparently asking for something. As I closed the distance between us, I was able to overhear that one man was apparently asking to borrow one of the library’s books in order to make more copies of it as there appeared to be only a few left. Kelvin however, kept saying that he did not have the right and the man would have to forward such a complaint to the cities governor.

Zoning out of the boring conversation, I waited patiently until the men left before Kelvin finally approached me and said:

“How did it go, up to where did you reach?”

“I made it up to the halfway point in the first book.”

Looking rather unimpressed with my answer, Kelvin responded:

“That’s it? Well whatever, follow me.”

“Eh wait, will we be taking too long? I promised to help out at the church.”

“It’s fine, I already had someone deliver a letter to the church informing them that you would be staying here. Archbishop Alexandros should also have informed them of the situation. You’ll be staying with me until late at night. Don’t worry, I’ll take you to your hotel myself.”

Not understanding the developments that were occurring, I asked:

“Wait, what are we going to do?”

“I’ll be teaching you proper chemistry and alchemy. You’ll aid me in my night work of producing high grade potions and elixirs, as well as learn the foundation of such arts.”

“I see.”

“Yes, now follow me. Underground this library is our working area.”

With that, the two of us made our way out of the main wing of the library as we entered a new area where a statue of a rather fat, balding, aristocratic looking robed man holding a vial could be seen. On the plaque, the words: This Area of the Library at Dene was Constructed Thanks to Generous Donations by the Count Pierre. Although I wondered if the Count was so vain as to have a statue of himself in this area of the library, I decided not too chastise him too much as I saw that many a bookshelf in this area seemed to be filled with books also donated by him.

Passing through a locked door, a flight of stairs that led to the basement of the Library could be seen. After making our way down, we were welcomed by a large hallway after passing through the door at the bottom of the stairs. Shielding my eyes at the rather bright light, we made our way through the stone floor and walls until we reached a certain door that led to a massive room that seemed to be its very own floor. Once we made it there, Kelvin made his way to a closet and pulled out white coat as he took off his blazer before putting the coat on and handing one to me as well.

“You won’t needed for today. But start making it a habit of getting one as soon as you come in. I’ll try to get some that fit your size by next week, although it’s good that you’re rather tall as mine seem to fit you.”

Although I was ‘only’ 5’10, Kelvin stood at a rather tall 6’2 that made it seem as though I were a child wearing an older siblings coat with how it loosely fit me.

Once I had put it on, we made our way deeper in this area as we entered an open space that appeared to be a lounge. The space had a few chairs as well as a large round table in the middle. Unlike a normal lounge however, the place was bereft of decorations as only doors surrounded the area. Opening a door, Kelvin motioned for me to follow him as we entered a study with a bookshelves each on its left and right side.

Motioning for me to sit on a red chair facing a wooden desk, Kelvin began to move to one of the bookshelves as he took out a book titled: An Intro to Chemistry and Alchemy by Count Van Pierre. Seeing the rather rotund count’s name on the book, I said hello to him in my mind as I turned to look at Kelvin who said:

“Before you can help me, you need to finish reading this. I’ll be working in the room two doors down. If you need my help, you can call for me. Although the book should be pretty self explanatory. Alright then, I’ll see you in a few hours.”

With that, Kelvin left me to my own devices as I accepted that I would once again be forced to stare at tiny words on a page as I allowed my friend the Count to enlighten me under his tutelage… 

47