Chapter 16: Calling for Help
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bar-moon stood at about 6'2" with a head that looked sort of like the head of a white bass except his scales where sky blue. Like others of his race he had webbed hands, and you could tell that there was a single fin going down his back. He also had brown eyes with large iris's that took up most of the visible part of the eye. However, despite the fact that those of his race looked like fish they didn't need water to survive, and could actually breathe the same air as the other races as well as breathe underwater.

The Ophthalian race is a constitutional monarchy, so they tended to be very formal when speaking to strangers and would bow as a greeting. In this particular case since he was speaking to someone who he owed a great debt to he bowed to the point where his torso and legs were making a 90-degree angle.

"What exactly is it you need me to do my lady?"

"My lady!" She said excited by the fact that she was being referred to as such. "I like the sound of that! Okay, the first thing I need you to do is tell me what this panel does."

"This panel is essentially just a transformer that helps distribute and regulate power to this section of the ship. This one in particular regulates the power going towards the engine room which is right down the hall." He pointed towards the other end of the hall opposite of where Rebecca approached, and continued to fill her in on what was going on with the panel. " Apparently this panel blew a fuse, and this caused a power surge which is why the lights are functioning properly. The systems haven't been properly maintained causing wires to wear down, and metal to rust causing a lot of power problems in this section. We've been attempting to fix it, but we've had to switch to emergency lighting to compensate."

"Would I be able to access any major systems from this panel?" She asked hoping she could use it to send out a signal.

"No unfortunately not." He replied. The computer in this panel only connects to the power system and nothing else. If you want to access a major system you'll have to go to the bridge, or directly to the source of the system you want to access."

"There are a few paces where you could theoretically send out an S.O.S if you had the ability to hack into it. I could show you where to find one of these panels", he offered while bowing again the same way he did before.

"Alright that should work, but first let me remove this collar." She hooked in the minicomputer she had around her left arm using a wire, and was able to disable the collar pretty easily.

"That was impressive", he stated amazed by her talent and ingenuity. "Those aren't easy to hack into from what I understand. You must be very talented."

"I know! Thank you!" Rebecca said with pride. She then picked up the rifle and pistol that the dead pirate had on him and held them out towards her new companion. "Do you know how to use either of these?" She asked hoping he'd be able to provide her with some backup."

"I have some experience with rifles, so I'd be happy to have your back if we get into any trouble."

"Thank you! Now show me where to go!"

Rebecca and Bar-moon went off down the hall past the engineering room, and Rebecca continued to follow him through various corridors until they reached a maintenance closet on the opposite side of the ship that the Appalachia was on. Bar-moon opened the door to the closet with a key, and opened up a storage unit that contained a fire extinguisher. There was a false wall on the other side of the container with a panel located behind it with several different buttons on it that were difficult to make sense of. However, there was a port where Rebecca could plug in her portable computer.

She managed to hardwire her computer into the system, and it only took her a couple minutes to hack into the system. Once she was in she was able to send out a signal on an emergency channel that could be heard by any ships in an adjacent system.

Rebecca began to record a message. "Hello this is." She paused for a moment not wanting to give out her name, but she was also was unable to think of a name to use. "I'm a member of the crew of the Appalachia and the Starforged Detective Agency. We are currently engaged in combat with a group of pirates called…"

Before she continued she looked at Bar-moon expecting him to know the name of the pirate crew. He told her they were on the UFS Baron a ship controlled by Captain Raging Crimson of the 12th division of the Crimson Tide.

Rebecca past this information along in the message, and included coordinates of the ship. She also managed to send it out on the AGI frequency she had hacked into when she was listening in on the conversation between the crew of the Appalachia and their AGI contact in hopes they'd be able to send help directly.

"Okay well now that that is all taken care of do you know of anyways we can make things easier on the rest of my team? They're in a pretty tight position." She stated hoping Bar-moon would still be willing to help her out.

"I can think of one way since we're near the engine room, but it'll be dangerous," he explained wanting to make sure she was prepared. "And there could be casualties."

"Well, if we don't do anything my team could be dead before any help even arrives, so let's do it." She asserted determined to help out the crew of the Appalachia even though she hadn't had the best experience with them so far.

After that Bar-moon proceeded to lead Rebecca back towards the engine room where they would presumably be able to cause some trouble for these pirates.

0