Chapter 23: New Crew Member
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So now what do we do", Rebecca asked eager to start her new life traveling around the galaxy.

"Well first we have to return to Sortis and help AGI apprehend Tranquil Blue", Captain Starforged explained. "It's more of a formality then anything. We just have to sign a statement, and hand over the bud to them. I bet you also have something you'd like to pick up back in the station too."

"Actually yes. Is there a place I could setup some computer equipment, and something I can use to power a quantum computer?" She asked remembering her computer would require a lot of power. More than this ship could probably produce.

"We'll see what we can scrounge from Tranquil Blue's place, but as for the place to setup I'll take you to where Mikey the Rat used to work." Morgan stated. She then led Rebecca down to the living quarters and to a nook under the stairs opposite of the maintenance closet that she found ANDI charging in.

The nook already had a desk, chair, and a computer setup that wasn't nearly as advanced as the one Rebecca had. However, it was still big enough for everything Rebecca had, and was actually a little more spacious than the shuttle she used.

She took a seat and powered up the computer. As the computer booted up she saw that it had most of the bells and whistles she would need to do her work, but it lacked the processing power of her setup.

"This'll do for now", she said while smiling.

A few minutes later the Appalachia jumped back into orbit around Sortis, and began heading towards docking bay 74 of the orbital space station.

When the crew saw the sight of the large desert planet in front of them it felt like a large load was just lifted off their shoulders. They had gotten more than they bargained for with that mission, and now they could finally relax a little.

When they finally docked they noticed that an AGI shuttle was also docked in the same hanger as them, and an AGI security team was already going to apprehend Tranquil Blue.

Captain Starforged noticed this and had Morgan cone along with him to help apprehend Tranquil Blue while the others helped Rebecca move her things onto the Appalachia.

She already had most of her stuff packed up beside her computer so it was pretty easy to move everything. She basically just threw it all in the nook under the stairs, and laid out a cot to sleep on. She was used to sleeping like this since she spent several nights slaving away on her computer, then was too tired to return to the small one room apartment she had on the station so she just fell asleep in the shuttle.

Around the same time, they finished loading all of Rebecca stuff onto the Appalachia, the Captain and Morgan returned with the AGI security team who had Tranquil Blue in those photon handcuffs that were supposed to be impossible to get out of.

"What will AGI due with him", Rebecca asked curious about their procedures for dealing with prisoners.

"They can cut him up, fry him, and dip him in a lemon-basil sauce for all I care. I just hope we never see him again." Captain Starforged declared.

"Harsh." Rebecca stated.

"It's all part of the coping mechanism", Rodriguez explained to her. "You'll get used to it."

Bar-moon had stayed to help Rebecca move her things, but now he had to return to his home. He also told Rebecca how to contact him if she ever needed his assistance. He waved goodbye to her and the rest of the crew after thanking all of them for saving him, and proceeded to exit the docking bay to find another ship heading towards his home world.

They all returned to the cockpit, but before Rebecca step onto the ship she took one last look at the old shuttle she used to spend days in that was still tucked away to the side of the hanger. There wasn't any point bringing it along with her. It would take up too much room, and was pretty old anyways. Still, it felt like she was leaving her home, so she looked at it and felt a little nostalgic. After a few moments she stepped into the platform with the rest of the crew, and the all proceeded through the cargo bay, up the stairs, and into the cockpit.

Everyone else took the same seats that they had taken before, and Rebecca sat down in the same seat she had been handcuffed in earlier.

When they all sat down Captain Starforged turned his chair around to look at Rebecca and began speaking. "Well, I guess I should officially introduce the crew to you, newbie, so listen up. The droid next to you is the crews combat analyst/combat droid ANDI. He listens to me above everyone else unless I tell him otherwise, so just keep that in mind. The woman in front of you is Carla Morgan a.k.a Harpy who, officially speaking, is our mech pilot, but she's also a talented sniper, so we'll use her as another hired gun as well. Across from her is Carlos Rodrigues a.k.a Blackbird who’s also a hired gun. This guy next to me is our good-for-nothing pilot Jimmy Hendricks. Like the song artist, but spelled different. And finally, I'm Captain Jack Starforged, or Detective Jack Starforged in some circles. I'm the captain of this crew, and sole owner and private investigator of Starforged Detective Agency. Welcome to the crew." He stated while tipping his hat at her.

Rebecca could help smile as she sat there listening to her new and eccentric captain introducing her new crew mates to her. She was finally going to leave Sortis and begin what would hopefully be a long and fun journey across the galaxy.

She didn't know it at the time but she was in for one wild ride full of a lot more experiences both pleasant and painful. She was on a journey across the galaxy, and the destination was nowhere and anywhere at the same time. They'd go wherever they wanted, or wherever the next job took them, and Captain Jack Starforged would be there almost every step of the way.

It felt like the entire galaxy was her playground, and she wanted to explore every inch of it and unlock all of its mysteries.

0