Chapter 24: Departure
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So where to next Captain?" Rebecca asked eager to find out where her first official adventure as a member of the crew would take her.

"Don't know, but we do have a few errands to run in the Bartel System." He said. "But I'm glad we're leaving this planet behind. The whole thing is one big sex joke."

"What do you mean?" Rebecca asked confused by his comment.

"I mean come on, Sortis, really?" He explained but Rebecca didn't seem to get it. "Okay do you know what the name of the valley on the southern pole of the planet is called?"

"Scorta, why?" Rebecca asked still confused.

"And what about the name of the mountains on the northern pole of the planet?" He asked.

"The Umbera Mountains." She stated still not knowing what the captain was getting at.

"Oh, look them up in the Latin dictionary." He said while turning his chair around to face the front of the ship. "Everything on this planet was named by an absolute pervert."

"I still don't get it." Rebecca whispered into Morgan's ear now giving up on trying to understand the captains meaning.

Morgan slightly shifted towards her and her face was just a little red. "You'll never be able to look at this planet the same way again." Morgan claimed as she began quietly whispering the meaning of each word into Rebecca's ear.

After hearing everything Morgan had said she began laughing uncontrollably, and the rest of the crew, besides ANDI began to laugh a little as well.

"Sounds like she got it Captain." Hendricks stated while still laughing himself.

"Yeah, now let's put this place in our rearview mirror Hendrick's", Captain Starforged ordered.

Hendricks started up the Appalachia and flew past Sortis out of the docking bay, and towards the warp gate in orbit around the planet.

As they flew by Sortis Rebecca took one last look at the desert planet, and saw all three rings orbiting around it. She couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness behind the name of the planet itself, but still felt a little attached to the place. She did hope that she'd get to come back here again. "Maybe it will be for a job." She thought to herself.

As they entered the warp gate space became distorted around them, and they began going faster than light. They could see all the light outside that they were passing by. Just like in the movies it just looked like a white current moving in the opposite direction, then suddenly they saw a big empty expanse before them with several stars in the distance.

"We've now entered the Bartel System", said Hendricks. "We're still a few hours from our destination, so we'll probably have to spend a night in the asteroid belt before we get there."

"You got it", the captain replied. "Why don't we all get something eat while the ships on autopilot I’m starving after all that drama."

Everyone agreed and began piling out of the cockpit towards the living quarters. This was the first time Rebecca really had taken the time to look at the place. It looked like there were four rooms each with a single door, and there were two on each side. It also looked like the rooms had been built into this section of the ship because they didn't match the ships architecture.

The room on the far right as they walked down the stairs was the kitchen, and everyone sat around a table that seated six, even ANDI who, even though he couldn't eat, decided to hang out with the rest of the crew.

The room wasn't anything special and had all the basic necessities along the right wall included a couple refrigerators, stoves/ovens, dishwasher, sink, and counter space while the other wall just had cabinets and a few extra chairs.

Rodriguez cooked them a feast with chicken, salad, mashed potatoes, and various other foods they had to eat before it expired, and the whole crew had a good time chatting and eating while the ship flew on autopilot towards their next destination.

After a couple of hours Rodriguez and Morgan decided to head to bed while the others hung out in the cockpit for a bit.

After an hour or so they started to approach an asteroid belt, and Hendricks found a large asteroid with crater they could land the Appalachia in that would give them some cover for the night.

"So where exactly are we headed to anyways", Rebecca asked.

"Well, there isn't much in the Bartel System aside from the gas mines on Slovic 5, but there is also a remote orbital habitat controlled by the Bartel Family where you can get a lot of black-market goods", Hendricks explained.

"Aren't the Bartel's a mafia family? Why would a supposed detective agency be operating in their territory?" Rebecca inquired.

"There a reluctant ally for both parties", Captain Starforged explained with a disgruntled tone. "Besides there's a talented mechanic there that's working on some stuff for me, and they can retrofit the Appalachia with a few things. They're the ones who built our living quarters."

"Okay I guess that makes sense", Rebecca replied thinking that they probably had a lot of allies like the Bartel's and AGI who they considered reluctant allies.

"Alright Captain I'm going to head to bed alright." Hendricks said as he walked towards the living quarters.

"You got it", Captain Starforged replied while sitting down in the pilot’s seat and putting his feet up on the dashboard. "You should probably head to bed too kid. I'm taking first watch for the night, and don't feel like you need to keep me company."

Rebecca suddenly began to notice how tired her body felt. She had gone through a lot, and wasn't used to doing a lot of physical activity. She began to yawn and stretch her arms before making her way out, but she stopped before she was all the way out the door and turned around. "Okay Captain, and thanks for agreeing to take me on."

"No problem kid", he replied. "But don't think it's going to be easy. You're going to start combat training. You survived this fight, but you might not always be so lucky."

"Okay." Rebecca said as she lethargically turned around, and started walking to the living quarters.

0