Debriefing
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once the door closed behind Rebecca the captain took his feet off the dash, and pulled out the drawer that had the holo-projector they used for long range communications on the ship. At the moment the only other person left in the cockpit was ANDI who was in the middle of a system diagnostic, so Captain Starforged was essentially alone since ANDI wouldn't be able to hear anything until he's done.

After syncing it to his wrist watch he pulled up a hologram of a picture of a woman with short curly hair smiling with her hand brushing her running through her hair. This was a pretty common night time ritual for him. Even though he didn't think she was listening it somehow still gave him comfort.

"Hey Charlotte, I had a pretty busy day today. We took down a pirate crew, and help AGI arrest a mole who was backstabbing people by placing trackers on them so those pirates could ambush them in deep space."

He began to tear up a little and sat there for a few moments before wiping them away.

"I took on a new crew member too. She a crazy kid that'll probably lead me to my death one of these days, but she's a lot like you. Overly confident, rash, intelligent, and probably a real spitfire. I was reluctant to let her join at first, but she proved herself today. We'd have been dead if not for her, so I'll give her a chance."

He continued to sit there for a while looking at the hologram without saying anything.

"I really shouldn't be doing this. I know I say this every night, but if I keep talking to you like this I'll never get over it. Who knows maybe looking out for this kid will be good for me? Oh well. Good night Charlotte, and rest easy."

Even though she had said she was going to bed Rebecca was curious to see if her eccentric captain did anything weird when nobody was looking. Given his strange dancing she figured it would be something hilarious, but she was surprised to find him talking to someone named Charlotte from what should could tell by the sound of his tears was someone that he had lost.

She felt sorry for the captain, and a little bit guilty for eaves dropping on his private conversation. She obviously was someone precious to him, but she wasn't sure how. Given the Captains age she could have been his wife, or even a daughter, but she wasn't sure.

After hearing him finish up his conversation she walked down to her cot in the nook underneath the stairs and just fell right into it. She had never felt more exhausted before. All she could think about was everything she had seen today. Pirates keeping slaves, corporations hiring outsiders to take them down, shop keeps setting up people to get raided. All of these were things she knew happened, but she had never experienced them before in person.

She felt both scared and excited, but she couldn't think of it too much because she was so exhausted. After only of few seconds of lying there she quickly drifted off into sleep, and the rest of the Appalachia was almost deep silent for the rest of the night. With the exception of one droid who took everything he heard literally.

ANDI apparently had woken up towards the end of the captain’s conversation, but couldn't hear what he had said. "Captain were you speaking to me?" It inquired.

"Oh no ANDI I was just talking to myself", he explained. "You can just ignore me ANDI."

"Very well captain. As you command, ANDI replied.

After a brief moment Captain Starforged just realized what he had said to ANDI. "Oh shit!" He quickly ran over to ANDI and opened up a panel in the back of his head. He plugged in his wrist watch, and rebooted ANDI while erasing his last memory of the words the captain had said to him. If he didn't due this, then he would have to wait until someone of higher authority told ANDI he could listen to the captain again.

Once he rebooted ANDI the captain went back to the panel that hid the shelf that held all of his records, and pulled one of them out. He pulled out the record player in the center console, and pulled out the cord that linked it to the ships intercom system so it could only be heard in the cockpit. He placed the record on the record player, and it started playing Blue Moon by Frank Sinatra while the captain sang along.

"Blue Moon, you saw me standin' alone. Without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own." He continued to sing along until the song was over and eventually sleep would catch up to him too, and the Appalachia would remain silent for the rest of the night.

 

0