Chapter Six: Getting Help From a Friendly Face
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am Lex, a kid who opened his eyes to a fantasy world, and the girl walking next to me is a priestess of light named Lia, a skillful and kind follower of Goddes Of Light. We are currently on a vital mission to deliver a letter to the High Preist of Light who lives in the Human Empire's capital city. But we have a long way to go. The capital is almost a thousand kilometers away, and we have nothing but supplies enough for a week and each other.

 

We have been walking for two hours at this point. This part of the empire has close to zero bandit problems since there aren't any major trade routes around here, so we can follow the main road to the next town until we reach our goal. Then comes this, since we are walking and not riding anything, I think it will take us at least a day to arrive there, well, according to the map given to us.

 

"Liaaa. How long are we will going to walk." I began pocking my companion's back.

 

She pulled away my hand. "Lex, please stop doing this. I know we didn't have the chance to sleep before going on this journey, but can you stop messing with me when you get bored or exhausted when we go somewhere."

 

"Sorry. But I can't help myself. All these long walkings become much more bearable when you talk with someone."

 

She nodded with a cheerful smile. "Thank you, and I agree with that. I enjoy your company too. Also, I feel safer traveling with you and your metal friend." Her voice is the same as ever, kind and relaxing. Who even can hate such a peaceful creature? No wonder everyone we encounter knows and loves her.

 

"Wait." Lia stopped me by putting the back of his hand on my chest. "Can you hear that?"

 

I began listening to the surroundings more carefully. Sound of bushes moving with a soft wind, birds chirping, and wait. Is the ground being pounded? Something heavy is coming towards our location. "Yeah, I hear, and I think we should step a little away from the road."

 

She nodded. "Can't agree with that more." 

 

We both moved away from the ground, and a minute later, a dust cloud and four horse-like creatures pulling a massive wagon appeared on the horizon. It is moving towards here and doing it fast.

 

I looked at Lia. She is unfazed but is that because she is shocked or because this wagon possesses no threat? For me, it doesn't matter. I must be careful no matter she reacts. My job is to protect her.

 

In no time, the wagon closed the distance between us and stopped just a few meters away from me. Shortly afterward, several smaller wagons arrived and stopped behind the large one. I drew my sword and called the copper recruit for extra support. Who am I kidding? If anything happens, it will be recruit protecting our asses.

 

Laughs started coming from the wagon. "You have nothing to worry about me, young soul. I mean no harm to anyone. I mean no harm." A long, chubby man in expensive clothing exited the wagon with five armored guards.

 

I turned towards Lia. "You know him."

 

"Of course I do. This mister is called Sir Middleman. He is a famous interspecies trader who visits here often. He has a good heart, so please relax." Lia looks happy.

 

But isn't she always happy anyways? Since the day I met her? I always see a smile on her face. Not including that one time we got attacked by that beast, but that one is an exception.

 

"Recruit comeback." I put my sword back to its sheat as my copper friend turned into its molten state and jumped over me to be absorbed by my skin. "Sorry for drawing my weapons. I was trying to be careful."

 

"Of course, you must, especially when traveling with someone you need to protect. I adore your braveness, little knight, but I suppose we never met before, right?"

 

"My name is Lex, I have amnesia, and I don't remember much except my name and some of my abilities. And this is my companion, Lia."

 

"Oh, you don't need to introduce me. I already know Sir Middleman. I met him before when he was moving through the Emerald forest. Some rouge raiders attacked his wagon, and his driver and knights got badly injured after fending the ambush."

 

"That's right, dear. I am still thankful for helping my man. If not for your healing, they might not even be with us today. So, where you two are going, seeing temple give you a knight, I suppose to somewhere far."

 

"Well, maybe a little too far. We must go to the capital, but I suppose you are not going that far."

 

"Sorry, you are right, I am going to the Forestkind territory for delivery, but I will visit the next city afterward. If you two want to come with me, I will be glad to move you there." He showed the wagon's entrance with his hands. "I am waiting for the answers."

 

I looked at Lia. She nodded. Then I looked towards the wagon. It is big, almost big as a small house, and the creatures pulling them at the front look like a mix of horse and moose, and they are gigantic, at least half times larger than a draft horse.

 

"I suppose I cannot say no to such a generous offer. Thank you, Mister Middleman."

 

"It is my pleasure having you two. Come on now. I have plenty of space inside this old wagon of mine, but not that much time."

 

I entered the wagon first, then Lia followed me from behind. I helped her climb the stairways inside, and we finally entered inside. Right behind us, Mister Middleman and his guards followed.

 

"So, what do you think." Mister Middleman proudly showed the interior of his cart with a proud look on his face. 

 

And he has all the right to be proud. Inside is massive. There is a large dining table in the middle, some wardrobes, and small chests containing supplies and clothes. For guards and passengers, everyone has a personal couch on which they can sit. Considering how large this was from the outside, I am not surprised, but still surprising.

 

"Now, my children, you may sit where ever you like. We will arrive at our destination..." He pulled out a golden pocket watch. "Around five hours later."

 

I threw myself onto a couch. "Ah, this is heaven." Things are getting better and better. Now I don't need to walk for a while and visit a new place, but I wonder who are those, Forestkind we will see on our way to the next city. "Mister Middleman, if it is not inappropriate to ask, who or what are Forestkinds."

 

"Oh, they are just another species living in this world. These creatures are also known as Wooddwelers in other regions. They live deep in the lush forests and have a deep connection with the magic surrounding the planet. They are quite peaceful and wonderful creatures. They only let ones of good heart see them, but all that aside, they still have needs, and I work with them. I offer them many things they cannot produce for what our eyes cannot see in the world. Like magical ores or these animals pulling my wagon."

 

Lia jumped into the conversation. "And they worship the Goddes of Life and Death. I have never seen them, but I heard there are some Forestkind towns deep inside the Emerald forest. I once tried to find them by entering the forest but stopped halfway through."

 

"What stopped you anyways? Halfbeats or any dangerous creature." I asked.

 

"No, I didn't see any, but I heard the loud screech of a Stone Vulture, and that was enough. Those birds are massive, like really massive. I heard stories of them grabbing small fisherman boats from the sea." She trembled. "But those are just stories, and I am in one piece."

 

Giant birds, I want to see one of them, if I have the chance, maybe even try its meat or eggs, but considering my strength. I doubt I can do it anytime soon.

 

"So, Lia, my child, what is the reason you want to go to the capital? Is it a task or a personal quest? And this boy. Is your quest includes him, or he only escorts you." Middleman asked.

 

"Sorry, I can't lose even a word about the details, but we are going to the main temple to talk with a higher-up. We need to deliver a message for Priestess Maria." 

 

"Well, if it is that old wolf's order, I will only find trouble to myself by digging more into this. I am still happy to help you two, I think I can skip a city or two, and we can shorten your trip by about a hundred kilometers if I remember the maps right."

 

"We will be so glad for that. My words wouldn't be enough." Maria bowed forward, and I followed her.

 

"Hah, you two don't need to do that." He began playing with his chin. "Call it a hunch, but if it includes Maria and the main temple, I think something big is happening in the background. I am not helping for my kindness here."

 

So, Mister Middleman knows about Head Priestess Maria, and without even knowing a detail, he can understand the weight of the situation. I am glad Lia helped him in the past, and we encountered him.

0