Ch. 20 – A Rising Star (2)
350 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wasn't it supposed to be a giant skeleton?" Joln asked Coal. He remembered because of the talks about it years ago.

"Your information is outdated. If you think only the layout changes, then you know nothing about dungeons. Bosses can also change in the dungeons." Coal, taking a look at his friend's guide.

 The Official Adventurer's Guild Ranking of the Caltovortta Dungeon

 FLOOR 1 - (Slime, Giant Slime) Requirement = {F} Rank
 FLOOR 2 - (Skeleton, Giant Skeleton) Requirement = {E} Rank
 FLOOR 3 - (Fire Salamander, Magma Wurm, Giant Magma Wurm) Requirements = {D}, {C} Rank
 FLOOR 4 - (Magma Rock Golem, Magma Rock Scorpion, Magma Giant Rock Turtle) Requirements = {B} Rank
 FLOOR 5 - (Fire Spirit, Flame of Wrath, Fire Wraiths, Giant Fire Spirit) Requirements = {A} Rank

Looking over at the top right, he found the date (1982-1984). "This is three years ago. It's outdated." Coal sighed at his friend. "Bosses can also change, but the floor theme stays the same usually. Very rarely does an entire floor change it's theme, if it does, that means something extremely dangerous. That is a situation that must be reported, if you report and the adventurer guild confirms it you get paid for it. Nice right?"

"I guess so." Joln was just annoyed that he thought would be a giant skeleton was actually three annoying buggers. Forgetting that Coal had told him what was in the boss room before they entered. "Hey, what items did they drop?" Joln asked curiously, looking at the items on the floor that usually wouldn't exist.

"Silver coins, a leather chestplate, and a mana orb. We can sell those two unless you want to equip the armor." Coal, picking the armor up, looked to ask for Joln's opinion. 

Joln brought his palm out. "I'm good, I don't want it." He declined.

"Then I will take the armor and the mana orb, while you get the three silver coins." Coal gave the coins to Joln for his part of the work.

"Sure." Joln didn't mind the drops, after all he could come here again at any time, but was more interested in the money. "That aside, did that always exist here?" He pointed over to the center of the room where a glowing chest sat surrounded with a green aura. Long has it been known that boss rooms will never contain treasures, they were always seen as a gatekeeper for the next floor. 

"God's Gift!" Coal shouted in excitement, he had forgotten about this. When he first spotted this, he thought it was a trap. Now he knew it was a reward given by the system. Embarrassed from his previous actions to his god's gift, he gained after defeating the first floor slime boss. That is where he received the amulet, for the boss the drops only being coins.

Coal, running up to the chest, placed his hand upon it. A prompt to open it was given to Coal, seeing it he chose to open it. A timer counted down as the chest opened. When Coal opened the first chest from the giant slime boss, it took him five seconds to open that common chest. Yet this uncommon chest took double the time to open.

 
Opening {Uncommon Chest}

⟳ 10...

Joln confused just watched as Coal kept his hand on the chest for a long time. "Hey, are you going to open it or stare at it?" After a few more seconds, the chest sprang open with green light emitting from the chest. Brightly shining before dimming away, showing the item inside. "Huh?" Joln stared as the light burst from the chest.

A wide smile shown on Coal's face as he reached his hand inside the chest. Having been with the system for longer, Coal knew about color and ranks. Green is for uncommon items, a rank higher than common, and two of the items he has are rare. Being the sword that he was gifted along with the amulet after defeating the slime boss solo.

Taking a look at the newly gifted items, Coal held them with love.

 

[Stone Recurve Bow] {Uncommon}
(A bow made of enchanted stone)

Requirements: 20 STR, 10 AGI
= Attack Power +25
= Durability [32/32]

Abilities:
[Blunt Force] {Passive} - Increases arrowheads weight

 

 

[Quiver] {Uncommon}
(A leather bag that holds a number of arrows)

= Arrows [20/20]
= Durability [25/25]

Abilities:
[Manifest Arrow] {Active} - Uses mana to create arrows. (Can only hold up to max amount.)

 

Coal held the bow and the quiver as if it was his loved one. "Is this a sign? Are you telling me to become an archer?" Coal asked out loud, wondering why his god would gift this weapon. After being saved by the system, he still continued believing that this was a sign meant for him. Taking every gift including the amulet from the slime boss in the first floor.

Joln knew that Coal was a little fanatic, after all he had no one to rely on beside himself to survive the slums. To receive help making his life better, he would of course repay his savior. "Let's go to the next floor, Coal." Joln held no interest in those items, he only cared for his own strength, skills, and axes.

"Have you ever used a bow before?" Joln couldn't help but ask Coal, after all, he never saw him wield anything else beside a sword. 

"No. But I will learn it, after all god gave me this. Therefore, he believes that I can become an archer." Coal was willing to become anything now receiving a second weapon he would train in archery along with swordsmanship. Joln moved on in the dungeon past the boss room, following the map with Coal.

In dungeons like this one, you aren't forced to defeat the boss to move onto the next floor. For the entire Caltovortta all the bosses are optional. You might be ranked by the adventurer's guild as a {D} rank, but the people won't treat you as one unless you solo the boss of the floor before that rank.

The first floor is {F} rank monsters, and you might be an {E} rank to defeat the monsters on the second floor. Most people will not acknowledge you as a real {E} rank unless you defeated the first floor boss solo. The first floor boss being the giant slime is an {E} rank monster. Most bosses are a rank higher than the floor they are on. 

As Coal and Joln took the shortcut through the boss room to reach the staircase faster. They approached a wide room with a large tunnel reaching down. Although it's called a staircase to be fair a rocky tunnel suited the name better or a natural staircase. The adventurer's guild in the past thought of placing down steps or rest houses but finding out they reset they decided to give up placing structures that last a long time.

You could see a poorly and cheaply placed stairs over the rough rocks leading down. "Onto the third floor, here we go!" Coal shouted in excitement, seeing the staircase leading to the third floor for the first time of his life.

11