Chapter 3
61 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Taking dog Frank out of the cage and putting a leash on him, was like giving the dog a Christmas present. As soon as the skinny dog realized that he was going home, he began jumping up and down while wagging his tail.

The Dog Frank gave out excited yelps and nuzzled his nose first onto Frank's hands, and then onto Emily's.

"Yes, Frank, you have a home now," Emily's voice sounded like a bell chime to Frank. She petted the pooch and let it nuzzle into her hands. "Now, sit, Frank."

At the command, the dog stopped and sat down, but his whole body vibrated with excitement. Frank decided to play along with Emily.

"Lay down, Frank," dog Frank jumped up instead and resumed his nuzzling. "Oh, Frank."

The color was placed around dog Frank's neck and the leash was connected to it. Frank pulled at it gently and the dog followed. Dog Frank had the rubber bone in his mouth, but, all of a sudden, he began to whine.

"What is wrong, buddy?" Frank looked worried at the dog. Was dog Frank sick? There had been nothing in the pooch's files that hinted at a sickness.

Dog Frank tugged at the leash and Frank let himself be led. The dog neared a cage with a puppy inside, and it placed the rubber bone between the bars. The black puppy immediately took the bone and began to play.

"Oh, my, he remembers," Emily had a hand over her mouth.

"What is the story behind this?" Frank stared at the puppy, who was throwing the bone around in the cage and then chasing after it, little tail wiggling.

"They came in together. They were confiscated from a dog breeder. Frank here is the father of this puppy," Frank looked between the older dog and the puppy. They were both black, but the puppy had a healthy fluffy coat, while Frank's was thin and unhealthy.

"I will make sure your child gets a home," promised Frank, and dog Frank looked up at him, almost as if he could understand what his owner was saying.

"I think he will hold you up to it," Emily poked her finger through the bars and petted the puppy with it.

"I won't fail again," promised Frank. "How much does this puppy have?"

"Alex has a month," the words were heavy between them and dog Frank gave out a whine, probably sensing the grim mood of the humans next to him.

"I will bring you to see your son every day," promised Frank, and he tugged the leash. Dog Frank extended a paw and placed it on the bars. Alex went to the paw and placed his little head next to it. Dog Frank gave his son a couple of pats, and Frank felt his eyes grow misty.

Finally, after five minutes of dog Frank petting his puppy, Frank took him out of the shelter. They walked with a moderate pace. These streets were unfamiliar to the dog, and he stopped to sniff at every post or bench. 

It took them two hours to get back home, and, when Frank switched on the lights, dog Frank sat on his back legs, tail thumping on the ground.

"Ok, buddy. For today, you can be in here. Tomorrow I will see what I can do about a dog house out in the garden," Frank took off the leash, but left the color. Like a bullet, dog Frank shoot out and began to explore.

The dog quickly found his food bowl, where his dinner waited. Then, it was sniffing the toys and settling on a teddy bear. And, finally, dog Frank settled into his bed with the toy hugged in his front paws.

All that time, Frank made the necessary steps to get little puppy Alex adopted. He posted on Facebook, Twitter and even Reddit. Finally, he bought some ad space on a newspaper and even made some posters to hang around his neighborhood.

Frank printed fifty of the posters and checked the time. It was still eight pm, so, he had time. Armed with a duct tape, scissors, and the posters, Frank went out in the dark to hang them.

He made sure to hang some in the neighboring streets too so that he could have more people coming to care for little Alex. He had written that Alex had been rescued from a dog breeder and that he was well-behaved.

Frank had no idea what breed Alex was, to be honest. He had never cared for such things, before. But he was sure that dog lovers would be able to tell at a glance.

A child was staring at him just as he began duct taping the last poster.

"Sir, is your puppy lost?" Frank shook his head.

"Not my puppy. Alex, here, is in desperate need of a home, or he will be put down," the child tilted his head, not understanding.  "He will go to sleep and never wake up."

After the clarification, the boy made an oh shape with his mouth and looked down at his feet.

"Like grandpa? Is the puppy sick?" Frank noted that the boy couldn't have been more than four years old. Where were his parents?

"Yes, like your grandpa. Where are your parents, kiddo?" The boy pointed to a bench where two women were speaking, one holding a baby in her hands.

"Mommy is speaking with auntie. Daddy is at work," Frank nodded. He bent down to be at the boy's eye level and ruffled his black hair.

"There was nothing you could have done for your grandpa," spoke Frank gently. "But little Alex can still be saved. All he needs is a home. If you spread the news that a nice, fun-loving puppy needs to be adopted, I am certain that Alex could make someone delighted."

"I will! You can count on me! My name is Edward," the boy reached out a small hand and Frank shook it. He noticed that little Edward gave out a firm handshake, for a toddler.

"Well, young man, I will be leaving. Don't forget to spread the word," Frank stood and walked away. Edward stared at the poster of the cute puppy that was standing up on its back legs.

"Alex," murmured the boy, placing a small hand on the tree to which the poster was taped on. "I will find you the best, warmest, home there is!"

3