Chapter 7
41 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edward neared the front desk, getting in line behind Hugo. Emily can and gave them each a form. Jake filled out Edward's, and they were free to leave.

But Edward couldn't just leave. There were numerous animals left in the shelter. Sure, there were at least thirty people inside the shelter, right now. And, if they all took one animal, then that would make thirty animals saved. But, what about the rest?

The boy went to Frank, not caring that the camera crew was zooming in on him. Edward tugged at Frank's pants, and the former weightlifter turned to look at him.

"How do we get the rest of the animals out of here?" Edward was hugging Archie with one arm, and his other one was still gripping Frank's pant leg.

"Well, the best you can do is spread the word that the animals in here need a home, kiddo. You did well, telling people about Alex," Edward beamed at Frank. Then he looked around.

"Can I see Alex?" Frank smiled and led the boy to a small cage on the ground. Inside, the small black puppy was sleeping soundly. The rubber bone that his father had given him tucked between his front paws.

"He is so fluffy," gasped Edward. The puppy's ears twitched and a small, black, eye opened. Edward really wanted to take the dog home, but they lived in an apartment. So, there was only space for something small.

"I'll find you a home, Alex," Edward pressed Archie the rabbit closer to the puppy's cage and the two animals nuzzled each other's noses. Suddenly, all cameras were on Edward and the cage.

"Hello, would you like to say something about the puppy? So people will know that he is good and needs a home?" The reporter, a mother of three who doted on all children, spoke.

"Yes!" Edward jumped on the chance. He knew, from experience, that TV was very effective when it came to getting people to do what you wanted. The ads had gotten him to brush his teeth, have his parents buy him certain toys, and even learn his alphabet without complaining.

"This is Alex, he is fluffy and black," Edward began with a bright smile. The reporter smiled encouragingly, and the boy continued. "He really needs a home. He can even do tricks, see? Sit."

And Alex, as well as a few other dogs from the nearby cages, sat. His little tail thumped against the floor of the cage and his eyes moved from face to face. Edward decided for another easy command.

"Lick," Edward pressed his hand to the bars of the cage and Alex stood up to give it a couple of licks. Edward giggled and pulled his hand away.

Now, Edward wanted for Alex to impress the people in front of their TVs. So, he gave him a bit of a harder command.

"Alex, play dead," Alex fell in the cage, even his little legs were raised. His tongue poked out and he closed his eyes.

"Oh, my. It seems that the puppy is trained already," the reporter looked closer at the puppy. It opened one eye and winked. Edward giggled and rummaged in his pocket and took out a package of crackers. He looked at Frank expectantly.

"Can I give him one? They are salty, see?" Edward took out a single cracker and handed it to Frank. Frank tried it, making yam-yam noises every so often, much to Edward's amusement.

"You may give him three. For each trick," Edward counted three crackers and pushed them inside the cage. But Alex didn't move from his pose.

"You have to ask him to eat. Alex, here, has the self-control of a saint," Edward blinked. He had heard of dogs being so disciplined they didn't jump to the chance to eat, but he had never seen one before.

"Alex, eat," the puppy shoot up like a bullet and began to inhale the crackers. When not even crumbs remained, he went back to his play dead pose and closed both of his eyes. Then, after no one pushed anything in his cage, he cracked one eye open.

Edward giggled again, and he made to push another cracker inside the cage, but Frank stopped him.

"You will ruin his dinner. I can assure you we feed the animals the right portions here," Edward pocketed the crackers and Alex let out a huff, but he was soon sitting again, his little tail thumping.

The reporter, deciding she had seen enough, went before the cameras, and spoke.

"The life of abandoned pets is hard. But they are good souls, as little Alex had just shown you. This puppy, as well as many others, are in desperate need of a home, as this is not a no-kill shelter, regretfully. So, please, find it in yourself to come and see the animals. For more information, call the shelter's phone number, which is written below."

The camera men all did a thumbs up and the red lights of the cameras were turned off. The reporter turned to Frank and offered her hand for a handshake.

"Thank you, Mr. Dorrens, for letting us see a glimpse of this place. The animals here are truly blessed to have someone as dedicated to them as you," Frank shook the reporter's hand and smiled.

"You have done much for the animals today. I am sure we will get more adoptions thanks to your report," Edward looked between the two adults, and then to his family, who were staying away from the cameras.

"Bye, sir," Edward waved and was just about to go to his family, when Frank chuckled.

"My name is Frank, kiddo." Edward looked bashful at the surrounding adults, who were all looking at him expectantly.

"Bye, Frank. Bye, everyone," Edward heard a couple of chuckles, and he all but bounced back to his family.  Alex was all he could talk about and, when his father jokingly said that Archie was going to get jealous, Edward kissed the rabbit and told it they were best friends now and that, that would never change.

3