Cheep!? 104
206 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheep!?

Chapter 104

Niko followed behind Ronald, ignoring all of the aches and pains that told him his body wanted him to stop moving entirely. ‘Soon,’ Niko thought to himself as he stared after Orson and the others as they approached, ‘Surely, they won…’ 

That was what Niko expected, given that they were all present, but the sheer damage sustained floored him. The Massacre Hornet Queen had pulled out all the stops and attacked with everything she had, it seemed, and the weakened tier five combatants had had a demonstrably hard fight. As the Wyldwalkers approached, Orson and the group slowed to a stop, the Guildmaster looking around at the newly gathered people all around him in hopeful, tense silence.

“The hive is destroyed!” Orson called out firmly and loudly, though Niko could tell by the fact that his essence was almost gone that he was putting on a strong front, “The Massacre Hornets will trouble us no more, Greenleaf has won!” 

There was a heartbeat of silence before joyous shouts exploded outwards from the citizens, and Niko noted that many of the guild members and guards voices joined in as well. Palpable relief flooded outwards from his own team, and they too cheered, joining the ragged, tired voices all around. 

Niko, as relieved as he was to hear the Guildmaster’s words, was not so tired as to not notice the precise wording the man used. ‘The hive was destroyed, and the hornets aren’t going to trouble us… That doesn’t mean they’re all dead, though, does it?’ Niko couldn’t quiet the cynical voice before it whispered into his mind. Yet, even with the cynicism, he had to admit that the Queen could not have survived. He doubted that the Queen would have crossed the lines she did if she wasn’t prepared to die fighting. Intelligent or not, he doubted they had the cold cruelty to be able to feign a final attack like that and flee instead.

‘Or do they? They were surprisingly acceptant of giving their own lives for their kin,’ Niko remembered witnessing the execution of their crippled members in the forest by other hornets, ‘Maybe?...’ Niko shook his head furiously for a few seconds, ‘Enough. It’s not something I can worry about now.’ 

Niko realized that Orson was speaking once more, and tuned back in just in time for the man to say, “...With the Queen dead, we can turn towards reconstruction. Aid will arrive from the rest of the Kingdom soon, and while their purpose may be moot, they will still have ample supplies with them that we might use. Until then, share your resources, your wisdom, and your strength. Now is the time to come together with your neighbors, now is the time for healing. For now, rest,” Orson then began to walk forward once more with the others, “Tomorrow will be a new day!”

The crowd didn’t seem to notice how much slower their group moved, but Niko’s eyes didn’t betray their movements. Orson, Oum, Crowe, and Camille were all running on fumes, such that he wasn’t even certain how they were still moving. They were guided by some individuals that Niko remembered had hung around Orson before the beginning of the rescue mission towards some of the few remaining tents for privacy. Niko didn’t begrudge them the treatment at all; it was well earned. 

‘I guess I was worried for nothing,’ Niko finally felt his muscles relax, ‘Unless they’re lying about the Queen being dead, but if I start assuming everyone’s lying to me, I’m never going to get anything plucking done.’ With that thought in mind, Niko followed after the Wyldwalkers as they trudged back to their area. They finished sharing whatever supplies they had, before Dachna stretched out on the blankets he had.

“You know, I really…” Dachna stopped to yawn, long and hard, “Really think that I’d like…” His words slowed before turning into mumbles and then, abruptly, into a half-snore.

Niko watched the moment with stupefaction, “Did he really just pass out mid-sentence?”

“I don’t blame him,” Skye uttered while sitting down, settling up against Niko’s flank without a second thought, “I’m dead tired.”

Mithel made to get up, before groaning and then giving up on standing up. Instead, she pulled her blankets over her and towards Dachna before settling into the crook of his arm with blankets over top of them both. Niko smiled to himself at the sight, before trilling softly, “Good night,” to everyone. 

Ronald and Stella were still awake, staring into the fire with complicated looks in their eyes. Niko didn’t say anything, hoping that this was one of those moments that someone had to work things out for themselves, and dearly wishing to get some rest himself, finally. Within moments, Niko drifted off to sleep, finding relief from his pains in unconsciousness.

 

He dreamt, perhaps not too surprisingly, of his old nest, a calm sigil pulsing gently on the bark of the hideaway. Rustling leaves and gentle sunbeams outside warmed both his home and himself, and he imagined his siblings with him, enjoying the moment together. Niko knew he was dreaming in an odd moment of surreality, but he allowed himself to dwell within. His actual siblings were far away by now, and while his chest ached with longing to see them, he knew that they would be okay. They were resilient birds, and as they grew in power, they would only become even more formidable together. Whether or not Dane was able to keep up, Niko didn’t know, but he nonetheless wished them the best, in spite of the complicated feelings he had on the subject.

As he continued to dream, he allowed his subconscious to guide him, peering through peaceful scenery was a wonderful reprieve from the stress he’d felt in the last few days. When the dream turned towards Greenleaf, he felt sadness at knowing what he was going to see would be no more.

Yet, the Greenleaf he saw was both unlike the one he knew, and still so very reminiscent of it. Walls more staunch and sturdy surrounded a town of new construction, built predominantly with timber and foundations of cut stone. Streets and districts both planned and pleasing to Niko’s eyes greeted him as he seemed to virtually fly through the paths of the city. He stopped before a towering guildhouse, with what appeared to be an adjoining, heavily reinforced building, all built of fine materials and rugged in construction. In the next moment, he was atop a hill, and it took a moment for Niko to recognize the location for what it was.

The Baron’s Mansion was no more, but in its place was an austere, but almost homely estate. However, Niko found that no matter how his eyes focused, he couldn’t see any banner nor flag indicating its ownership. 

Then his vision was pulled harshly forward, and for the first time, Niko felt like his dream was anything but his own. A great will pushed his sight onwards, and it felt as though he were riding along the back of some titanic thing. The dream almost broke, then, where it not for a familiar voice, “Calm, Brother. I cannot hold you here, and you are not in danger.”

“Vol?” Niko breathed out, “How are you in my dre–Who am I kidding. Of course you’re in my dream. Clucking dream walking shenanigans.” 

Less loudly, the voice chuckled, but Niko still felt his bones vibrate from the timber of the sound, “It is good that you are unflappable.” 

Niko was about to accept the compliment awkwardly when he paused, “Wait… did you just pun me?” 

Somehow, Niko found his attention drawn to something, and knew that it was Vol’s doing. The Phorus was about to chastise him from trying to change the topic when he froze at what he was being shown. “Vol… What the peck is this supposed to be?” 

“Something that Mother has discovered, thanks to you.” Said the Titan, his voice ringing with a note of approval, “You have done well already.” 

Niko didn’t register the approval, though, his eyes attracted instead to a swarm of bodies scrambling around each other. Some were huge beasts that Niko could loosely allocate a name to– Giants, Trolls, things that fantasy had taught him from when he lived on Earth. Others were different, alien from the standard nomenclature that he knew. Between them all flooded other smaller creatures, some of the smallest were Dawr Goblins. In spite of the varied races, many of them bore a defining crest, a symbol that Niko recognized that the goblins had been wearing on their own hides.

“Is this Bant’s army?” Niko felt his heart squeeze a bit at the sight, “Is he invading somewhere?” 

Vol’s focus seemed to hold Niko for an instant, “Be wary of saying that name. The God’s hear when they are called upon.” 

Niko straightened, suddenly even warier of their surroundings, “Then, does he–” 

“Not this time. I have this area as my domain, so he shouldn’t be aware.” Vol uttered gravely, “But I cannot be absolutely certain that my hold is perfect. The God's ways are many.” A gentle pressure then pushed Niko’s attention back to the gathered beings seemingly in the belly and on the slopes of a mountain, “They are monsters all, but an army? No. They are his followers,” Vol spat the word with derision, “The Great Mother is not certain how he has blessed them. None of the Gods save for the Insane One have ever been able to do anything with them before. Now, we wonder if the Gods simply have yet to turn their eyes to this resource beneath their noses.” 

Niko swallowed hard at that, wondering what it would be like if the Gods suddenly began bestowing their gifts to monsters. At that, though, Niko had another thought, and turned his attention to Vol, “These monsters… Can they be reasoned with?” 

If a voice could make an expression, Vol’s would have been melancholic, “It is their nature to be as they are. Goblins pillage and defile, Orc-kin seek bloodshed and carnage, Giants devour all that humanoids build up; they are evil in the eyes of any society you might know. Perhaps you might reach an accord temporarily, but they are driven to do as they do because they have no choice.”

Niko stared hard at where he imagined Vol might be, “Why is that?” 

Silence greeted him for several seconds, before the tone, almost regretful, said, “That secret must wait for another time. You may even discover it on your own, should you grow enough.” 

That chafed at the Phorus, but before he could push any further, Vol stated, “The Great Mother needs you to find out what the Bloody God is planning, and how he is empowering these legions. She also wishes me to warn you of the Insane One’s promises.” 

“So far, he hasn’t asked for anything or even said much.” Niko frowned, “Ven–I mean… the Insane One, as you call him, seemed quite amicable, even. He’d stopped a curse from that other bloody bastard from working, too.”

The stone under Niko’s feet crackled then, and he jumped in startlement in spite of knowing that this was a dream. Like steam released from the earth, dust and crumbling rock flowed upwards until it formed the likeness of Vol, still somehow appearing every bit like an old greek god pressed into form. Glimmering fools gold shone in his eye sockets, and his flesh flowed like magnetite and sand. He leaned down and in towards Niko, fully twice Niko’s height even in this form. A sense like he was being inspected pressed into his very being, but he allowed the contact. Instinctively, even beyond his beast-given thoughts, Niko knew he could deny the access of Vol into his soul. But, he could sense Vol’s own being at the same moment, a mutual connection that told Niko that he meant no harm, and only to verify his safety.

“Huh… I’ll admit, that is not what I expected to see…” Said Vol after several seconds of inspection, “Do you feel any differently?” 

“Y’know, I had a lot of doctors over the years ask me that when they found something that was very not good in me,” Niko replied flatly, “I feel normal right now. What did you find?” 

Vol seemed to float awkwardly for a second in the air before he found his words, “Well, it looks similar to what the Bloody God’s followers have, but self contained, instead? There appears to be a part that might make you much more… volatile. Perhaps it is nothing, but be wary of if you begin to feel short-tempered or more apt to extreme acts of violence.” 

Niko bawlked in dismay, “Right… just great.” He sighed heavily, before shaking his head, “Alright, can it be removed, or…?” 

Vol remaininging silent was enough of an answer for Niko, “Fan-feathering-tastic then… Whatever, so where is this monster horde and how am I supposed to find out what’s going on with it?” 

“In the mountains, but you won’t need to go to the horde. You would most certainly perish in that endeavor.” Vol nodded decisively, to which Niko couldn’t help but feel a twinge of annoyance and exasperation.

“Then what am I supposed to be doing?” 

Vol smiled, “Follow your feline friend. She will lead you to where you can find answers.”

Before Niko could say anything in response, he felt the dream-like atmosphere crumble at the edges. “Rest well, for your pilgrimage is far from complete.” 

Hours later, Niko awoke all at once, his body feeling almost fully refreshed, albeit with plenty of aches remaining. He didn’t immediately spring to his feet, instead working each limb out to their fullest. Stretching muscles sent a wave of relief through his body, and for all Niko seemed to be awakening peacefully, no one would have guessed what he was saying to himself in his own mind.

‘Vol, if you can hear me, I know you were trying to be cool with that last word in.’ Niko groused, ‘Pecking sending me off to wherever those mountains are for whatever the peck I need to find out about. Not exactly descriptive.’ 

“Good morning,” Skye whispered, “You’re the first other one awake.” 

Niko turned his gaze questioningly to Skye, before realizing she was correct. Dachna and Mithel were still bundled together against the morning chill, and as Niko scanned the Wyldwalkers bed-site, he had to pause at another sight. Ronald and Stella were side by side, propped up against their packs with Stella resting on the big man's shoulder.

He met Skye’s eyes with a twinkle of mischief, shared between them. Neither commented on it, but instead, Niko pointed his beak at the slowly building fire, “Plans for cooking?” 

“Don’t have much,” Skye gestured to her pack, “Figure we can do a gruel of some sort, at least.” 

“Sounds good enough,” Niko uttered, “Beggars can’t be choosers.” 

Wordlessly, Skye nodded and began to make her preparations, and it wasn’t until the pot was on a low flame and the food was heating that someone else began to stir.

Stella blinked her eyes awake blearily, before sitting herself up slightly. She paused as Niko saw her realize where she was, and then as Stella met eyes with Skye.

The half-elf raised one of her eyebrows provocatively in a teasing manner. Instead of becoming flustered, Stella just lightly shrugged and snuggled back up to Ronald’s arm under the blankets before mouthing in an equally teasing manner, ‘He’s not bad.’ 

Skye huffed at the clearly disappointing response, but Niko could feel from their growing bond that she was genuinely happy for the two. 

Then Ronald woke up, and briefly looked utterly lost as he looked around. He saw Stella’s head, and briefly prepared to move, before the elven woman firmly anchored herself around his arm. The blooming redness in the big man's cheeks faded somewhat and his posture relaxed before settling into a slightly more comfortable position. 

“Good morning,” Ronald whispered after glancing at Mithel and Dachna and then the sky, “What time is it?”

Skye frowned as she looked at the overcast, smokey sky, “Maybe just before mid-morning? I’m sure the Guildmaster will call for some kind of assembly soon enough to tell everyone what we’re doing.”

Niko briefly considered not saying anything about what he’d seen, but ultimately decided to say, “We’re probably going to have to go to Sasha’s mountain.” 

“What makes you say that?” Stella asked with clear confusion, “Isn’t that going to be sorted out between the Guildmaster and the others?”

Before Niko could say anything, he noticed a familiar form stalking towards them, though she made no conscious effort to conceal herself, “Speaking of. Good morning, Sasha. Is Thokk around?” 

The cat huffed, “Asleep, still. It seems he’s overworked himself. Again.” She panned her gaze around the camp, “Are you all well?” 

Niko translated, before answering, “Sore, but well. You?” 

She chuffed, “Much the same,” She answered, as the others exchanged their little pleasantries. “I heard mention of my name?” 

“I was saying that we were probably going to have to go back with you to your mountain.” Niko trilled.

“I do owe a debt,” Sasha nodded solemnly, “I would be remiss not to honor that.”

“Ah, I guess that is a thing, too.” Niko blinked, realizing he’d completely forgotten about that detail.

Skye tilted her head, “Was there another reason we needed to go?”

For a few seconds, Niko stayed quiet and considered how he wanted to approach things. It was also then that Dachna and Mithel stirred, though they were clearly not mentally present yet. A bit of mischief came to mind and Niko said, “I received a vision for our Pilgrimage. Something big is going on in the mountains.” 

Sasha stiffened like she’d been struck by lightning, “This–what–still?–are you sure?” 

“Uhhh… yeah, I’m positive.” Niko blinked rapidly, “You seem oddly… err… on edge about that.”

Sasha deflated, and sank to her belly in what Niko felt was a wave of fatigue and annoyance. “It is… nothing.” 

“That sounds totally convincing,” Skye uttered sarcastically, only to receive a glower from the cat.

“Perhaps you can tell us?” Ronald ventured, “You never know, we might be able to help.”

“I…” Sasha began with what Niko was sure was a prepared, polite dismissal before she reconsidered her response. Instead, she stared hard at the Wyldwalkers and said, “My people were given a prophecy before I came here, that’s why I sought aid against the hornets. They were… I’d thought, the reason why we were at risk. But now…” Sasha looked lost as she whispered, “Now I don’t know.” 

The Wyldwalkers exchanged glances with one another, before Dachna spoke, “Yeah, prophecies are always like that, though, right?”

“Always.” Mithel nodded, “It’s like a rule. But, hey, if we’re going there anyways, maybe the answer will just fall into our laps?”

It was then that the sounds of bells rang in the distance, and Ronald looked both disappointed and interested at the same time. “Well… Guess that’s the Guildmaster then.”

Niko forced himself to his feet and glanced at the gruel that was still cooking, “I guess the gruel will still be here when we get back.” 

Skye clicked her tongue and set the pot aside with a cover on it, “Guess so.”

 

14