The changes in one’s mind
1.1k 8 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No matter how much I want to deny it, Kurokawa is correct. Of course, there is no way she knows the plot, so being wary of the unknown is normal. We are progressing further into the story, and more girls will soon be brought into the school by the system of this eroge world. And since the target of Laura, Rachel, and Kurokawa has shifted from dear old Han Som the Handsome to me, there is an astronomical chance it will be the same for the rest of the cast. Once confirmed, I and the people around me will likely become a target for dangerous, insane characters. If we combine our power, surviving will be much easier than doing it alone. 

Wait! No! What am I thinking giving in to her words like this?! Do not let Kurokawa persuade you into this absurd relationship, C! Stand your ground! 

...I feel like my entire body is getting consumed at the mercy of the bookworm, a little at a time. Some people may be interested in vore. Not this guy. No, no!

In this case, anecdotal evidence is the only way. Anything other than that will be rendered useless by her sooner or later. There is nothing to use to combat her twisted sense of logic besides it.

"I think a relationship is better when there is a commitment, you know?" Brain, do not fail me now! If you did not have an ass, grow one so you can work your ass off! "A man and a woman can care for each other better than multiple. It's the sincerity I'm talking about. The devotion! The honesty! Everything should be transparent, yeah! More people means the attention will be split. And don't get me started on favoritism."

If I stick to my one-on-one rule, they should respect my decision...As if! What kind of idiotic thinking is that?! If it made any sense to these girls, then Rachel would not have been sticking to me, and Kurokawa would not have changed this much in the first place! 

Immediately, two soft hands touch my chin and turn toward Kurokawa, whose green eyes shine brilliantly. "Let's go through each of your points one by one. Tell me, husband. Have you been honest with me? Have you lied?" 

"...I try not to."

It physically hurts to do it. I honestly do not want to lie when talking to these lovely girls. The most I can do is tell them half of the truth and let them fill in the rest.

"When you said I was beautiful, was that a trick to keep me from killing myself, or did you truly think so?" 

There is only one answer to that.

"It was not a trick. I wholeheartedly believe that."

The smile on her face blooms brighter. "What about devotion? Didn't you help Rachel and me because you have ulterior motives? What is the price that you wanted us to pay? Name it, and you know we will do everything to return the favor, C. Everything. Including our lives."

I open my mouth wide, trying to make a big statement, but only mutter: "...Nothing."

"So you don't lie..."

"I try not to." I quickly intercept Kuro's midsentence.

However, the girl chuckles: "Like I said, you don't lie. You are devoted to keeping us happy. What's left is the favoritism, right? Let me ask you this. If either of us three girls were to disappear, who would you choose."

"Okay, now that's just unfair. You are literally forcing me to say what you want!" 

"I don't think so, C." Shaking her head from left to right, the bookworm claims: "You know more than I do that you care about us equally. Your action tells us what lies inside your big heart. The answer has been clear as night and day."

"...Am I that predictable?" After a few seconds of complete silence from me, a question pops up.

"More than you think." Replies the bookworm with no regard for my fragile heart.

Guh!

"Which is why, husband, it is okay for you to have many girls by your side. It is inevitable, after all." Kuro continues to talk while caressing my cheek. "I can only blame your ridiculous charm, C." 

"It just doesn't feel right to me, you know? What about Laura and Rachel? What are they going to say?" 

"Don't worry about them. As long as you are with me, we will have no issue. That said, even if you are unavailable, they would still not do anything to me." 

"How are you so certain?"

The girl pinches my nose: "That's a secret, silly. But here's a hint: I'm not the type to do the heavy lifting. But Laura and Rachel are." 

That is no hint. That is just saying facts!

"Also, C."

"Hm?"

Kurokawa puts on a triumphant face. "The fact that you mentioned both of them rather than Laura alone means you are convinced, right? If you wanted to keep everything simple like you said, one-on-one, there would be no reason for you to mention Rachel's name." 

Shit? Shit. SHIT! She is correct! Damn it!

"He he he." The bookworm hugs me tightly. "I love you so much!" 

"Hold on! Hold on!" I try to push the bookworm aside. "Listen to me for a bit! There's something serious we still need to talk about."

Temporarily putting the fact that Laura is about to murder my ass once she knows what is on Kurokawa's mind aside, I think there is something more alarming for us to consider. More than the deadly inherent harem forming with me in the middle of everyone. And that is what we should do tonight to solve the conflict between the bookworm and her mother. 

Yes, it is true Kuro is in a better state compared to all of her previous iterations. However, all we have been doing is to make Kurokawa feel better about herself. Everything might have been eventful, but technically, we have not solved crap! That event at her house has to go first. When Laura comes, or when I meet her, I will do my best to make it up to the class rep. 

That is if she lets me stay alive. Otherwise... haha.

I mean, my girlfriend has been very lenient toward the things I do. Laura has allowed Rachel to stay on the other side at a certain level. While the latter tends to go overboard and make fun of her, I do not sense a hostile environment between the two. And if things do go south, I guess I will have to ask for help from Rachel and Kuro. At least, if I find a way to maintain a balance, there should be no bloodshed. Of course, this is only a hypothesis. 

I swear I am not aiming for a harem. But my heart can not seem to shake these girls off somehow. It is strange to think that I would rather risk my life than completely shun these girls away. 

In a way, I am turning into a real bastard. No, an asshole would be better. Han was a bastard because he had to. I am because I...feel like I should, which is unethical.

"Do you still remember what I said during lunchtime? About the theory about the world?" Tapping the bookworm on her slender shoulder, I change my tone to as severe as can be.

"Yes, C. And I believe you." Kurokawa nods. "I don't doubt your words at all. After all, I have been reading stories about such a plot." 

Good. Kuro trusts me. Then, even though the next part may seem absurd, she would pay attention to it.

"If I told you that tonight, at your house, something horrible would happen to you and your mother, and it is already predetermined... would you still go home?" My words can barely make it out of the throat. 

Immediately, Kuro's face turns pale, and she clutches my arm tight. Judging by her reaction, it is clear she knows what is going on. Although Kurokawa does not need me to repeat my words or further convincing, there is no relief. Truthfully, I do not know what is better. I would rather have her laugh at my face for joking around than see the blood draining from her body like this.

Yes, it is a drastic change. This goes to show how much that person mean to Kurokawa.

"Kuro?"

Kurokawa is shaking. I cannot help feeling sorry for her.

What should I do? Even I do not want to bring this topic up again. But I had to...

"If you believe me, how about not coming home tonight? We can ask Han for a place to stay, right? You don't need to return. As long as you don't see her..." 

"It's okay, my dear husband." The bookworm puts on a reassuring smile for me to see. "I...may be able to run away today. But tomorrow, the day after that, and the day after that... will be the same. The more I run from her, the worse her torment becomes."

My heart aches hearing the pain seeping through her words. I do not know what the good thing is. Facing Kuro's event head-on or doing nothing and running away both have merits. I am just afraid bad things will happen to her. Nonetheless, no one other than Kurokawa knows what she should be doing, especially when she has broken out of that shell. 

Kuro then stops to breathe in deeply. 

"I want to face my demons, C. Both inside and out. I want to be able to live the life of me, not my Mother's." She then looks at me. "If you are there, it would give me tremendous strength, C." 

If she so wishes to overcome the greatest adversary of her life, who am I to stand in her way? 

The best thing a husband can do is to support his wife. 

"I'll be there."

29