Chapter 4
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No one seems to care about what cover I used so I just put up the picture I based Mina off of because she's the most important character. 

The last three chapters will be from Immy's or Angie's viewpoints.

Angie awoke with a start. It was still in the middle of the night, but the nightmare she’d just had, had made her not want to be alone. It had been a while since her parents had let her sleep in their bed with them, so that left only one person.

Angie slipped from her covers and padded to the door as quietly as she could. She then put her ear to the door and listened. There had been a lot of commotion even after she’d been sent to bed, but it was now completely quiet.

Angie cracked the door open, and peeked outside. Seeing no one, she opened it wide enough for her to slip through before closing it quietly behind her. She then turned to the guest room next to hers and made her way slowly to it.

She arrived to find the door was closed, but unlocked and opened it quietly before poking her head inside.

Angie rarely came into the guest room and found it was sparsely decorated other than a few pieces of memorabilia from one of their trips to France a while ago. There was a large bed in the center of the room, under the window. There was a dresser to the right of the bed, with a large recliner next to it in the corner, although it was now next to the bed where Mina’s mom was sleeping with one arm under the covers, probably holding Mina’s hand.

Angie focused on Mina who was sleeping in the bed. She recalled the incident yesterday. How they’d been attacked by the Poke Sucker. How it had killed Roseline and Isabelle and nearly killed Mina and Annabelle. How Mew Two had saved them. How Mew Two had…

Angie’s eyes focused on the two large fox-like ears on Mina’s head, then to the lumps under the covers where her nine new tails were.

Angie recalled what had happened after Mew Two left as she watched Mina. Her dad had loaded them into their RV and brought them straight here. He’d then called a doctor friend who came to look at her. After that, she’d sat in a daze or cried thinking her friend might be dying. She hadn’t even thought about listening in on the adults to see what was happening and had ignored them when they tried asking her what happened. Eventually she guessed she’d fallen asleep.

Angie tiptoed to the side of the bed opposite from Mina’s mother. There, she watched Mina’s face. She looked pale, but otherwise okay, other than the large ears that occasionally twitched on the top of her head. She gently put a hand on her forehead, finding it a little cold, but not too bad. Next, she lifted the covers and crawled inside. She needed to know that Mina was okay. She needed to be there with her, to help keep her safe. She needed to know that she was safe. She needed…

Angie heard someone calling her name and felt someone shaking her.

Angie opened her eyes, to find Mina’s mother standing over her. She wasn’t angry, and actually looked a little amused, “Good morning. When did you sneak in here?”

Angie rubbed her eyes. It was still a little dark outside, but it wouldn’t be long before the sun rose, “I had a nightmare. I wanted to see how Mina was and...”

Mina’s mom patted her on the head, “It’s alright.” Her face saddened as she looked between the two girls, “You had a bad day too.”

Angie turned to the still sleeping Mina, “It’s okay…” she felt tears welling up in her eyes, “Mina is… Mina is…”

Mina’s mom hugged her, sniffing back her own tears, “She’s going to be okay. She just needs her rest.”

Angie turned to look at Mina. She was sleeping peacefully, and looked a little more energetic than she had, but she wondered if things really would be okay. Her mostly white hair made her look… not old, but like something had been taken from her.

Angie’s stomach growled. She hadn’t eaten since before they’d gone looking for pokemon yesterday.

Mina’s mom smiled and held out her hand, “Let’s go find something to eat.”

Angie turned to look at Mina, “But…”

Mina’s mom paused as she considered Mina, “She’ll be alright. Let’s go grab something, then come right back, okay?”

Angie nodded and took her hand, “Okay.”

It had only been ten minutes by the time they returned with a tray filled with strawberries, grapes, and some unsliced apples, two bagels and some cream cheese. Mina had shifted in her covers and it looked like she might wake up soon.

Mina’s mom sat down on a folding chair she’d found downstairs and started peeling an apple, when she turned to Angie who had just sat in the recliner, “How are you holding up?”

Angie had been so worried about Mina, she hadn’t even considered how she felt and shook her head, “I… I’m scared. I know Mina’s okay now, but what if she never wakes up? What… what if it comes here to finish eating her?”

Mina’s mom stopped peeling the apple, and stared out the window towards the mountain before turning back to Angie, “Do you think you can talk about what hppened yet?”

The memories flashed into her mind and it was all she could do not to curl up into a ball.

Mina’s mom smiled sadly and put a hand on Angie’s knee, “I’m sorry.” She held up a bunch of grapes, “Let’s eat. You had a long day yesterday.”

Angie almost refused the grapes, but she really was hungry, “Thank you.”

Once Angie started eating, she really started. All of her fear and worries had masked how hungry she really was, and once she ate the first grape…

Angie’s mom and dad came in not long after they started eating, bringing Angie back to the situation.

Angie’s dad gave her a sympathetic look, after studying Mina for a moment, “How are you doing?”

Angie swallowed the strawberry she’d been chewing, “I’m okay.”

Angie’s dad nodded once, “I’m taking the day off of work today, so I’ll be here if you need someone to talk to.”

Angie looked at her hands on her lap for a moment. How long had it been since her dad had actually taken a day off? Even on the camping trip he had still been working. She looked at her dad, “Okay.” She would need to take advantage of it.

Angie’s mom knelt next to her and put her hands on hers, “I know you went through a lot yesterday, but we need to know what happened.”

Angie shook her head vigorously. Even just thinking about thinking about what happened sent her heart racing, and her stomach threatened to throw up the food she’d just eaten. Even hearing a pidgey outside almost sent her into a panic attack.

Angie’s mom squeezed her hand before standing back up, “Take your time. Your father, Anne, and I will be here whenever you’re ready.”

Angie looked back at her hands on her lap and nodded.

Mina’s mom stood up from the folding chair and turned to Angie, “Can you watch Mina? I need to talk to your parents.”

Angie looked at Mina’s mom and nodded, “Mmhmm.”

The adults stepped out of the room.

Angie had lost her appetite and placed the plate of food onto the dresser.

It was difficult for Angie to look at Mina because it reminded her of the day before, but her love and concern for her friend made it easy for her to push past those feelings. 

Angie noticed movement under the covers. It was one of Mina’s new tails. She had loved playing with Annabelle’s tails as a vulpix and a ninetales, and she was equally drawn to them on Mina. She had gotten a sample of their fluffy goodness last night when she’d snuck into bed with her, and the adults were gone so it might be a while before she got another chance.

Angie lifted the covers and crawled inside. It wasn’t hard to find the tails because they took up much of the lower half of the bed.

The tails were just as fluffy and warm and silky as she remembered them and was jealous of Mina despite the way she’d gotten them.

Despite the way she’d gotten them.

Angie stopped rubbing a tail with her face and poked her head from the covers to look at Mina. What was she going to think when she found out? Annabelle had sacrificed herself to save Mina and every time Mina looked into a mirror she would be reminded.

Could Angie live like that? What if it had been her and Isabelle? Could she live knowing Isabelle had given herself to save her?

Mina stirred and rolled onto her side.

Angie felt her friend could wake up at any moment and was about to crawl from under the covers, when the door opened and her parents and Mina’s mom walked back inside.

As the parents’ attention turned to Angie, she felt her face begin to turn red. This was the second time today she’d been caught snuggling in bed with Mina.

Mina’s mom smiled at having caught Angie twice, “Thanks for keeping Mina company.”

Angie was about to say something when she heard Mina groan.

All eyes turned to Mina.

Mina stretched under the covers and her eyes fluttered open.

The adults looked grim for a moment before the mood turned more positive.

Angie understood the adults’ reactions when she saw Mina’s eyes. They were now red instead of the light brown they had been. They weren’t completely red like usual for a ninetales, but only her iris so it could have been worse.

Mina rubbed her eyes weakly, “Angie?” She then noticed the adults standing by the door, “Mom? Mr. and Mrs. Barnette? Where am I?”

Mr. Barnette whispered something to the two women, then left the room.

Mina’s mom looked to the side for a moment before turning back to Mina, “You spent the night at Angie’s house.” She considered something for a moment, her eyes glancing at the plate of fruit on the dresser, “Oh! You must be starving! What do you want for breakfast? We can have a little chat after you have a full stomach.”

Mina tried to sit up and only managed after a little help from Angie, “Mom. Can I sleep a little more? I’m still really tired.”

Mina’s mom nodded, “After you get something to eat.”

Angie’s mom put a hand on Mina’s mom’s shoulder, “I’ll go grab something.” She then left the room.

Mina laid back down, but as she did so her expression became confused, “What am I sitting on? It feels weird.” She felt behind her, “Annabelle’s tail?” She looked under the covers, “Annabelle. Come on ou…” 

She froze, and a barely audible noise began to grow in intensity until it became a scream, before she began repeating, “She’s dead! It killed her!” 

Mina’s mom ran up to Mina and embraced her, “It’s going to be okay! I’m here for you.”

Mina struggled weakly against her mom’s embrace, but not enough to make a difference and only kept repeating the same two sentences.

Angie grabbed Mina’s hand and squeezed it, but she didn’t know what to say so just sat there, tears forming in her eyes as she tried not to think about yesterday.

Angie’s dad reappeared in the doorway for a moment, his face awash in sympathy and pity, before moving on.

Angie wasn’t sure how long it was until Mina calmed down. She had wanted to leave many times because she hated hearing and seeing her friend like this, but she had somehow found the courage to push through it.

Mina was still whimpering when she finally talked again, “I’m not dreaming?”

Mina’s mom relaxed her embrace enough to look at Mina’s face, “No, dear. Annabelle is gone.” She turned to Angie, “But Angie is safe. Your father said you protected her.”

Mina looked at Angie and squeezed her hand back for the first time, “Are…” she sniffled, “you’re okay?”

Angie nodded, “I’m okay. I’m more worried about you.”

Mina looked down, “Thank… Thank goodness you’re okay.”

Angie’s mom poked her head into view, “Is now a good time?”

Mina’s mom looked to Angie’s mom, then back to Mina, “Think you can eat something?”

Mina sniffed the air, then nodded.

Mina’s mom smiled then waved for Angie’s mom to come in, “Let’s see what Lisa brought you.” She then released Mina and scooted back a little.

Angie’s mom came in holding a tray with some more fruit, a stack of pancakes four high covered in whipped cream with a strawberry topping it, four strips of bacon, and a small plate with grapes and more strawberries, “It’s been a while since I cooked, but I’m confident in my pancakes and bacon at least.”

Mina reached for the bacon as soon as the tray of food was placed in front of her. She still looked out of it, but for the first time since her breakdown she seemed collected as she savored the bacon.

Angie had been sure Mina would have gone after the pancakes first, or at least that’s what she would have gone for. All the whipped cream and together with the strawberries looked delicious. She knew Mina liked that kind of thing, and also recalled that Mina was not a huge bacon fan because of all the grease so her reaction surprised her.

Once Mina finished the bacon, she sniffed the strawberries then ate them, although with much less enthusiasm than she had the bacon. Once the strawberries were gone she sniffed the rest of the food, before returning to where the bacon had been and licked the grease off the plate.

Mina had ignored the pancakes and grapes when she turned back to Angie’s mom, “Can I have more bacon?”

The two mothers looked at each other then Angie’s mom turned to leave, “Alright, just don’t waste any of the food.”

Mina turned to look at the pancakes, and looked unhappy at the thought of having to eat them, “Okay…”

Angie picked up the fork which Mina hadn’t used yet. The pancakes looked pretty good to her so she didn’t mind helping Mina eat them if she didn’t want to, “Can I have some?”

Angie didn’t really care that Mina was uncharacteristically going after bacon and was more happy that the food had seemed to have calmed her down.

Mina smiled and her new tails wagged in appreciation, “Sure!” Her smile immediately disappeared and she reached behind her to grab one.

Mina’s mom realized what was happening and sat on the bed next to her, “Umm… There’s something we need to tell you about what happened yesterday.”

Mina pulled a tail in front of her and looked at it, “Where’s Annabelle? Why do I…” She pulled on the tail, “Why do I have her tails?”

Mina’s mom put a hand on Mina’s, and took a deep breath, “Your father and I discussed this a lot last night and we think it’s best to let you know everything.”

Mina turned to her mom, “I… He talked to me before I fell asleep. He said… he said Annabelle wanted to save me…”

Mina’s mom nodded, tears welling up in her eyes, “Your father… he saw Mew Two do something to you and Annabelle. Mew Two said it was the only way to save you. Annabelle… she was willing to give up her life to save you.”

Mina looked like she already knew, “Mew Two… it really was him?” Mina’s mother nodded and Mina looked back at her tail, “He… he said he would try to keep me looking normal. I didn’t want to… I didn’t want to do this, but I couldn’t think… I was so tired…” She started crying, “But I was scared. I didn’t want to die.” She turned and hugged her mom, “Why did Annabelle have to die? Why did it attack us?”

Mina’s mother embraced her again, “I don’t know why, sweetie. Sometimes… bad things just happen. Believe me, I wish this hadn’t happened to you. I wish Annabelle,” she glanced at Angie, “and Isabelle were still here, but… they aren’t.” She hugged Mina, “But you’re still here. Be someone that can make them proud.”

Mina shook her head, “I want Annabelle to be here too! Make Mew Two give her back!”

“Your father is already looking for him, but with that… monster in the mountains, we need to be careful so nothing like what happened to you happens again.”

Mina clutched her mom’s shirt, but didn’t say anything else.

Angie felt she should give Mina some space, and left the bedroom. She then went downstairs and found her mom making more bacon, “Mom…”

Her mom turned to look at her, and seeing her daughter about to cry, abandoned the bacon and picked her up, “Angelique. I’ll… I’m sorry for not paying more attention to you. If your father and I had gone with you instead of staying inside and working… then maybe…”

Angie looked at her mother. Her mom was usually so composed and in control, so it was strange seeing her so emotional. When had been the last time she’d seen her mother cry? At her uncle’s funeral three years ago?

Angie hugged her mom, the two oblivious to the burning bacon behind them.

Mother and daughter returned to Mina’s room a while later with a fresh plate of bacon and a lingering scent of burnt bacon. Neither of them tried to hide their red eyes from crying as the two in the room were much the same.

Mina’s mom turned to her mom, “Mina told me everything.”

Angie looked at Mina with pride. She’d always been stronger than her. Angie still couldn’t even bring herself to think about what had happened, while Mina, who had been the one that almost died, had. Although, judging by her tired expression, it had taken a lot out of her.

Mina’s mom got off the bed, “Why don’t we go outside after Mina finishes her bacon? It might be a good change of pace.”

Mina looked at the window. The blinds were open, and one could see easily into the large backyard, “Okay.”

Mina’s mom stood ready near the bed, “Do you think you can stand?”

Mina looked uncertain, “I think so?”

Mina’s mom held out your hand, “Hold on to me until you think you can stand on your own.”

Mina took her mom’s hand, then slipped off the bed. She wobbled, and her mom had to catch her, but after a moment she managed to steady herself, “I’m okay now.”

Everyone but Mina glanced at the large number of tails twitching behind her. Angie wondered if Mina could walk with them as they looked heavy and would make her fall backwards if she wasn’t careful. 

Still, between the tails and the new set of ears, Mina looked quite cute if one ignored how she got them.

Mina’s mom still looked concerned, “Alright, but keep holding onto me.”

Mina began walking unsteadily, and Angie felt nervous seeing her friend looking so weak and nearly helpless as she slowly made her way downstairs and outside. She stumbled a few times, and her and Mina’s mom both had to help her down the stairs. 

They only stopped once as they passed a small mirror hanging on the wall near the top of the stairs. Mina looked at her new set of ears, before looking away sadly and continuing their walk to the outside.

Mina blinked a few times as they stepped outside. The sky was pretty overcast at the moment, but it was still fairly bright as the sun could still be seen through the clouds. She also looked nervous as she surveyed the yard, particularly the peach tree near the fence in the back.

Angie looked around the yard. It was much like the front of the house, with flower beds lining the fence and the house. There was a path leading to a small gazebo with a glass table and outside chairs near the center of the yard. Well kept grass that was yellowing for the winter covered the rest of the yard.

As they made their way to the gazebo a pidgey flew overhead.

Mina shrieked, and Angie felt her heart jump into her throat as she too nearly screamed as memories of the Poke Sucker disguised as a pidgey flooded into her mind.

Mina covered her head as she fell to her knees, her breathing ragged from fear.

Mina’s mom watched the pidgey curiously for a few moments before leaning over to help Mina, “Maybe we should go back inside.”

Mina nodded, but didn’t move to get up.

Angie noticed her mom watching her, “Your father said there was a pidgey attacking you when he found you.”

Angie took a moment to reply as she still hadn’t gotten over the shock at seeing the pidgey. She probably wouldn’t be able to look at a pidgey the same way for the rest of her life, “It… it turned into a pidgey. It… it was watching us. It…”

Her mom considered what she said, “It changed? Were you attacked by a ditto? I’ve never heard of one doing something like this.”

A voice pierced their minds, You are partially correct. Everyone including Mina looked around, although Angie immediately recognized the voice. It was Mew Two. The creature your kind calls the Poke Sucker is an abomination created by those who would wish to claim my powers for their own devices. It was once a ditto, but can no longer be called as such.

The two mothers looked stunned as Mew Two descended from the sky towards them, stopping just shy of the ground next to the tree.

Mina’s mom was the first to recover from the shock, “Thank you for saving my daughter.”

Mew Two regarded her, I bear some responsibility for your daughter’s predicament. As I contend with the creature, many pokemon and several of your kind have succumbed to its hunger, its desire to grow stronger in its quest to consume me.

Angie’s mom moved herself between her and Mew Two, “You’re one of the strongest pokemon in the world. Why haven’t you killed it yet?”

Mew Two turned his attention to Angie’s mom, It can take the shape of any creature whose life force it has consumed, and it is impossible to know what it really is unless it reveals itself. He turned to Mina, Your daughter may be an exception. As I merged her and the other, I felt a connection between her and the creature. It had not finished consuming her life force and the part of the girl it consumed is still connected to her.

Mina’s mom’s face brightened, “Then if we kill this creature, can we return my daughter to normal?”

Mew Two looked at Mina, I cannot say.

Mina struggled to her feet, her mom helping, “Can Annabelle come back too?”

Mew Two remained expressionless, If your life forces can be restored, yes.

Mina’s mom looked hopeful, “If we help you find the creature, you can kill it, then restore Mina?”

Mew Two floated closer to them, That is why I came, but we must move with haste. The creature grows stronger with each living thing it consumes.

Angie’s mom finally relaxed, but kept herself in front of Angie, “Is there anything else we can do to help?”

Mew Two crossed his arms, Yes. Someone who commands strong pokemon. The creature cannot be defeated unless all of its forms are defeated. Even I will have difficulty defeating the hundreds of forms it has consumed. However, if the creature does not return the life force to those it has stolen from… He looked at Mina, Then they may be forever weakened.

Mina’s mom put a hand on Mina’s head, “I know some who can help. How long do we have?”

Mew Two looked at the mountains, I suspect even I will be powerless against it in a fortnight, perhaps longer. He stared at Mina for several seconds, before turning to look at the others in turn, I will return when you are ready.

Angie’s mom looked at Mina’s mom, then back to Mew Two, “Five days. Maybe less if they can come immediately.”

Angie guessed her mom and Mina’s both had the same person in mind.

Mew Two nodded, then turned to leave.

As Mew Two lifted into the air, Angie pushed past her mom, “Mr. Mew Two!” Mew Two stopped and turned to look at Angie. Angie immediately felt nervous under Mew Two’s gaze, but somehow managed to continue speaking, “Thank you for saving me and Mina.”

Mew Two nodded, then left.

 

0