Chapter 13: The Day
82 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13: The Day

Five hundred and thirty-one days.

This was the day Zack would finally get the medicine.

He didn’t want to get excited, as the possibility of the medicine not helping was high, but this was the first genuine attempt to be free after so many days in this body.

He was excited.

—How long until you’re done, babysitter? —Zack asked as he hovered outside the jailers’ house.

This big house was what he referred to as the outer jail.

The babysitter had brought a new car that would ensure they both went unnoticed, and now the babysitter was modifying it.

It wasn’t the first time the babysitter had brought a different car when they both went to work and Zack waited for him to finish, as the babysitter’s caution and professionalism was commendable.

However, today was the day to buy his medicine, and he didn’t want to waste time here.

“I’m done, young master. No need to get excited,” the babysitter replied, driving the car.

It was a car that floated along the ground, even though the reinforced metal and ultra-thick glass was surely heavy.

Zack would have liked to fly, but the babysitter mentioned to him that only those registered and licensed with the Society of Heroes could fly around the Blue city.

Truly unfortunate and more to follow the rules of inferior beings, but he refrained not wanting to draw too much attention and less at a tense moment like this.

—Finally. —He said as he realized that the babysitter was bringing the car.

Zack, who was floating, put the bag with his diapers inside the car and then floated in and sat in the seat designed for him.

The automatic belt adjusted to his body, as well as the headrest that he liked so much.

The babysitter, checking that everything was in order, drove and exited through the back garden of the house, driving through a secret tunnel.

The jailers had a mansion in a remote part of the city, and the babysitter had mentioned that the mansions belonged to important people and each had a secret tunnel to get out.

Zack wasn’t one to pay attention to the neighborhood, but there was a possibility that there were other jailers with prisoners inside those mansions.

It was a possibility, albeit a low one, as it was difficult for there to be more individuals like him and more so close.

“Will you really buy the genetic enhancement and drink it?” The babysitter asked and, realizing he was giving him an intense look, he quickly added. “Don’t get me wrong, young master. I want you to feel well, but drinking any medicine may not be the best thing to do.”

The babysitter’s concern was correct, and Zack lessened his intense stare.

Sometimes drinking a medicine for an inappropriate condition could cause greater problems than solutions and he didn’t want the same thing to happen to him.

Zack didn’t want to become weaker than he was.

However, he had a plan for it.

—We will buy various medicines of different types. We will use the boy’s minions to drink it while I possess their bodies. That way I will understand how it acts in their bodies before I drink my medicine. —He replied calmly.

The old merchant mentioned that several medicines were going to be available and among them, the psychic medicine that the old merchant recommended.

Still, a merchant was not a doctor, so they could not trust that the medicine he recommended was ideal for him.

First, Zack needed to verify how the medicine worked and thanks to his magnificent mind, if he tried hard enough, he could give an insight into his own body or another body he possessed.

That way, he would understand how the medicine affected the organism and if necessary, with his telekinesis, he could manipulate it to his liking.

The babysitter looked in the rearview mirror.

“The minions, rather than guinea pigs, will be grateful if they drink the genetic enhancements,” the babysitter said and seeing that he gave no reaction, explained. “Believe it or not, it’s a big deal.”

Those medicines helped normal people to become supers or, in the case of psychic medicine, to become children who could touch the Astral Realm.

It was a miracle medicine, so he wouldn’t hesitate to give it to all the boy’s minions.

Of course, if he had any extra.

Such a miraculous medicine was rare and expensive, while the producers remained hidden, unwilling to release such magnificent medicine to the world.

They were truly vile, preventing inferior beings from becoming children.

—Speed up, babysitter. The boy and the minions must be waiting for us.

Giving his mental command as he ceased idle thoughts, he concentrated his gaze on the road.

Soon he would get his medicine and perhaps his freedom.

******

Donovan walked down the subway corridor of the auction house towards the main vault.

The buildings Hugo Dumont chose were always elegant, with wooden walls, picture and all kinds of decorations on the sides, giving a unique impression to the guests.

This time was no different and among the attendees of the auction house were his people, who were dressed in costumes as they patrolled.

They were serving his master, so they had to be elegant.

Among them were a couple of supers with weak or inefficient skills, not powerful enough to be considered important subordinates, but enough to take care of various menial tasks.

For Donovan, it was a pity he couldn’t bring his old acquaintances from the gambling house he had run for the Big Monkey, but they were being watched by that Supervillain, so getting close could be a mistake.

Approaching the vault door, he saw it open, and he entered.

Inside was Hugo Dumont, that old merchant whose keen senses for finding people with potential were shining brighter than ever.

He cooperated with the Big Monkey and hired his people for several years and when that Supervillain’s organization was weakened by the attacks of the Last Defender; he found someone new to work with.

Donovan respected that man for recognizing the greatness of his master, something he had failed to recognize the first time he met him.

The interior of the vault was a small, separate space, highly protected by both barriers and artifacts of all kinds, and inside were the tables with the various objects on display.

Hugo was leading the young master and Jonathan through that area, and Donovan approached as he waited for them to finish the tour.

“We have a lot of objects for today. We will grade the genetic enhancements when we auction it off. It’s part of the business, but I assure you they are of high quality,” Hugo said as he spoke to his master that occupied Jonathan’s body.

Jonathan used a type of artifact to hide the features of his face, changing it to a more ordinary face, but when his master occupied Jonathan’s body, the difference was immense.

The atmosphere, the pressure and the glowing purple eyes changed, releasing a unique presence.

Donovan liked to think that someday, with his master’s advice, he would be so strong that when his master occupied his body, he would exert a greater force than in Jonathan’s body.

While Jonathan was strong and his greatest ability was in hand to hand combat and he lacked the mental strength his master needed.

Donovan, idle thoughts aside, approached the group.

“Master, preparations are ready. We have detected nothing out of the ordinary, though we will continue to keep watch,” Donovan reported, observing the vault out of the corner of his eye.

Normally, the owner of the auction house was the only one who had authority to enter here, and they didn’t normally give tours of the interior, but now it was open to his master.

Proof that Hugo Dumont was doing his best to please his master.

And Donovan, seeing the items that were to be auctioned today, knew that Hugo was betting big on this great auction.

The previous mistake was a stain on the auction house’s reputation and now he wanted to make up for it by going all in.

It was also a test to verify if his master was trustworthy, and he, as an apprentice, needed to be up to the task so as not to disappoint his master.

“We will continue to keep an eye on the surroundings. If anything happens, we’ll keep them from affecting the auction or the visitors,” Donovan said as he bowed seriously.

For Donovan, it was a given that something would happen today.

The Blue City had many people involved in the underworld, and some of them might try to assault or rob the auction house for various reasons.

In a way, conflicts and assaults at this kind of major auction were normal and the major task of the security group was to keep the auction from being stopped or the vault from being robbed and, above all, to keep the visitors from getting hurt.

Even if there was a battle outside, the auction was not to stop.

“I am grateful for your effort,” Hugo said and looking back at his master, he revealed. “It’s time to start the auction.”

His master stopped controlling Jonathan’s body and returned to his original body, removing the glow in the purple eyes that showed the presence of a higher being.

To anyone’s eyes, his master would look like a baby whose face was distorted and whose eyes subtly glowed purple.

Hugo was one of those who noticed it, but as an intelligent man, he did not show curiosity or question the oddity.

—I’ll leave the surveillance to you, boy. I don’t want this auction to stop. So if anything happens, call me... I’ll take care of it right away.

Donovan heard his master’s voice in his mind, causing him to shiver slightly at the force contained behind each word.

His master was determined, and he would not let anyone stop his goal of buying the genetic enhancement.

“I understand, master,” Donovan replied, escorting his master out with the others.

He noticed Hugo locking the vault completely and activating the security mechanism.

The objects inside would be teleported to the outside when they were auctioned and that way they would make sure that no one stole the objects or had any mishap in the transport.

Donovan followed his master and the others.

His master distorted his face and diminished his presence when he was in his real body and the reason was that his parents were important individuals and among the supervillains, several held a grudge against them.

Especially his master’s mother.

However, he did not hide the purple eyes that subtly glowed, even when he was not consciously doing so.

Bidding farewell to his master and Jonathan, who wore a serious expression, Donovan made his way to the security room where the minions he had hired were located.

As he entered the room, he observed thirty of the fifty-four minions he had recruited.

“This is an important matter for my master and I want no mistakes. Do not hesitate and if you find anything suspicious, check and in case of attack, call for reinforcements. Always keep your guard up,” Donovan ordered, observing the men and women waiting for him.

If his master were here, he would call them ambitious inferior beings, and he would be right.

These people who were looking for a chance to rise and would do whatever it took to get a chance to shine.

And to get those opportunities, they would serve stronger people who could help them shine.

“My master informed me to purchase several genetic enhancements to give to you,” Donovan said, watching as the expressions changed.

Jonathan gave him a brief training to test them all and see if they were as capable, discarding those that didn’t meet his more basic standards.

Although the two recruited several, a smaller number remained.

However, Jonathan did not want to reveal his identity and true background, so they simply believed he was an important subordinate testing them.

They still didn’t know who the boss was, at least not fully, but that didn’t matter too much.

His master mentioned to him that he wanted to possess the bodies of some minions to drink the genetic enhancements and he would analyze the effects, using these people as guinea pigs.

However, Donovan didn’t need to mention the latter.

“Whoever stands out the most tonight will have a greater chance of being rewarded by my master.” Donovan mentioned and realizing the ambition aroused in those minions, he ordered. “Now go on patrol. Keep an eye on everything.”

He watched the minions move with increased vigor and energy.

Surely those minions were thinking of the idea of becoming super with the reward his master would give them, but what Donovan was thinking of as a reward was for his master to possess the bodies of those minions.

Only that way would they understand who his master was and the magnitude of his power.

Hiding the smile as he went out to investigate, he made his way through the corridors near the auction center, the walls of which were reinforced, and noticed that the auction was getting underway.

He then made his way to the back exit of the mansion, observing the garden and checking on the guards.

Donovan had left mental markers on each of the minions, so if one died or was incapacitated, they would warn him.

The mansion was enormous, and it was a big hassle when it came to keeping an eye on everything, as they lacked supers to take over the task.

Among the minions there were a couple of supers, but they were weak or with useless powers for combat, and so he gave them the order to warn if anything happened.

Just as Donovan was about to go back inside, he noticed a fleeting glow in the garden near the maze and he approached the garden entrance.

The garden was large, with a maze at the bottom and nearby a fountain surrounded by sculptures and statues of animals.

At the entrance to the garden, Donovan suddenly turned and saw a fleeting golden glow heading into the forest that covered the mansion, speeding away.

Donovan stopped the mental force that was about to bring his nightmares to life and he rummaged around and noticed a piece of paper embedded in a bush.

He recognized that golden glow, and it was impossible for him not to recognize the second best croupier of the former gambling house he had run.

She was one of the few people he could call as “his people”.

The Big Monkey is coming for you. He’s taken Celes with them by force. Be careful.

A short, simple text with unrecognizable handwriting.

The message was from ‘the fast hands’, ‘the golden girl’ of the gambling house and Donovan, destroying the paper, frowned as he walked back to the entrance of the mansion.

His master had faced his best croupier, who could stop time for five seconds in a determined area, and now the Big Monkey was bringing him here.

Even though Celes had overwhelming skill, he didn’t like to use it for combat and likewise, the Big Monkey was forcing him.

“I’ll have to take it upon myself to take Celes off their hands,” Donovan muttered as he planned in his mind.

He didn’t think to call his master.

It was obvious that the Big Monkey was attacking today not because of his master, but, because of him, who openly betrayed him.

While his master occupying his body was the cause of rumors of his rising strength that could rival the Big Monkey, that supervillain wanted revenge against him.

For betrayal and surely revenge for murdering his people when he betrayed him on the day he showed his loyalty to his master.

And, therefore, it was a problem of his own that did not require his master.

Donovan had heeded his master’s teachings and was now going to put them into practice.

Letting his master enjoy the auction and buy the genetic enhancements he so desperately sought.

2