Chapter 33: Abomination
122 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33: Abomination

Zack followed the abomination down the hallway as it floated.

At his back were the babysitter and the boy following him, the former wearing a serious expression on his face.

“What does that drug do to you?” the abomination asked, observing curiously.

—Sleepiness. A lot of sleep and hunger. Awakens my primitive instincts. Nothing pleasant. —Zack replied.

It was brief, but it was all the explanation that abomination was looking for and his straightforward answer provoked curiosity in the babysitter and the boy.

“Do you know each other, young master?” The babysitter asked finally.

“No. I know his race or kind. Beings born in the Void,” Zack replied, occupying the boy’s body and directing his infant body to the car the babysitter was driving, he detailed. “The Void is a zone between universes filled with an energy of constant change. They are born there.”

The universes connected with each other sometimes directly and sometimes with shortcuts, but the Void was that which lay between each universe and, in a way, was a crossroads connecting all realities.

Unlike stable universe connections, traveling through the Void was dangerous and deadly for beings of great power, let alone normal mortals... It was simply suicidal.

“He is an abomination. Some may treat him as a monster,” Zack explained calmly.

The babysitter couldn’t comprehend the magnitude of his explanation, and the abomination smiled.

“We are born of Chaos. The source of change,” replied the abomination and smiling as he invited into his office, he added. “You may call me Fox.”

The abomination gave his name, and Zack simply shrugged as he sat at the front of the office desk.

Zack could tell the being wasn’t scared of him, but with every bit of information he released, the abomination became aware of the danger he posed.

Information was power and in this case, information about the nature of this kind of horrors was in itself rare.

To be born of Chaos meant that he was born of an uncontrolled and distorting source that some related to corruption, and not all beings born of that source acquired intelligence, let alone gained control, like the abomination in front of him.

To Zack, it was respectable.

The abomination could control the constant change that gave it life and formed a mind, which, while complex and chaotic, was rational and lucid.

Zack, with his purple eyes, saw the mind of the being and noticed the blackish colored sphere with tentacles waving everywhere, while in the center there was a spinning whirlpool.

Filtering deep into the mind was going to be difficult, but this wasn’t the first time Zack had encountered this kind of being and this kind of mind.

“I’ve done my part. I hope you can tell me everything you know about the Tower. I heard that you are someone who escaped from the Tower,” Zack said calmly.

There was no need to use more aggressive methods as long as the abomination held up his part of the bargain, and Zack simply kept a watchful eye on the being’s chaotic mind, hoping it wouldn’t lie to him.

Unlike those primates that were aggressive by nature, the abomination showed respect, and so Zack returned the same respect.

“So I’m going to be the one to introduce myself,” mumbled the abomination with a half smile.

Zack sent him a set of thought pointing out who he was and what he was... The strongest transcendental of all was here to find out about the Tower and he was going to get what he was looking for.

He also introduced his companions and the abomination, giving a half smile, smiled brighter.

As chaotic as the abomination’s mind was, Zack managed to get him to understand by sending the introduction and that was a sign that he could play with his mind.

More complexity also meant more fun, similar to a messy puzzle.

And even though the abomination was smiling, it revealed that hint of respect that came from fear of someone stronger.

“The strongest transcendental of all,” mumbled the abomination as if it was thinking about something and then giving a sigh, it looked at him and revealed. “I don’t really know too much about the new Tower.”

“‘New’ Tower?” the babysitter asked immediately as he set the stroller down beside him.

The abomination was what in this world he would call a Code Red, but Zack could understand that his power could go beyond that, reaching something similar to the Great Monkey.

Nevertheless, Zack focused on what the abomination had to say.

“Yes. I was a prisoner in the previous Tower. Unlike this one, it was less secure. I was when this new Tower was rebuilt, though,” replied the abomination and, putting his hand to his chin, he pointed. “The new Tower has better defenses. Sealing, security and high protection. I went to the previous Tower because I heard the best fruits were found growing in that prison.”

Zack paid closer attention.

Even though the babysitter and the boy knew what the tower was, they could never explain what it was about, what it looked like or how it came about, and the abomination was proving he knew more about it.

“Where is it?” Zack asked immediately.

What he was interested in was the location which was so far unknown and it was obvious from the abomination’s grin that he knew where it was.

“At the old lighthouse on the shore of the city,” replied the abomination and seeing that the babysitter was surprised, he smiled. “Surprising isn’t it? I thought it was going to be on an island too, but it’s actually some kind of independent dimension connected to the lighthouse.”

As if reminiscing about his past, he continued with a smile.

“To enter the old Tower you had to break through space and enter that dimension. Although it’s still the same now, I know the management has changed. It used to be run by Jara,” said the abomination and smiling, added. “Excellent agriculture. Thousands and thousands of prisoners were getting the best food from her.”

Did the name have to mean something? Zack noticed the babysitter’s expression change subtly, in obvious recognition.

“Jara is... A Dawn Goddess. Specifically, the Goddess of Fertility, the Field and Agriculture,” the babysitter explained and looking at the abomination with increased seriousness, he questioned. “You mean a Dawn God manages the Tower?”

A divine being?

Unlike the babysitter for Zack, there was no surprise, for when he visited the brighter transcendental, he recognized divinity in the seals and the prison.

While the space the brightest transcendental was in was somewhat of a personal seal for her, it made sense that there would be a jailer preventing her from escaping.

The abomination smiled at the babysitter’s question.

“I don’t know who this is about. During the change of administration I was able to escape,” said the abomination and...

“You say escape, but I don’t feel like you were a prisoner,” Zack pointed out, noting the changes in the abomination’s mind.

Zack saw the body’s brow twitch and also noticed the smile grow on the abomination’s face.

The way he spoke of the former administration denoted a confidence that a prisoner would not have.

“That is correct in part. I was a prisoner, but then I was promoted to worker and when there was a change in administration, I earned my freedom. Although in my defense, it was a timely situation,” said the abomination. “Twenty years ago, there was a big event in the city. A Code White that turned into a Code Black. I don’t know what happened, but there was a confrontation that caused Jara to have to go to help and left me to guard the Tower. Then when he came back with the new prisoners, he let me go free as a reward.”

It wasn’t just about reward, but it was clear from the way he spoke casually of the deity that they knew each other well and perhaps were close.

A pleasure-seeking being with an agriculture that could grow unimaginable fruit... It was a perfect match.

Zack waited for the abomination to continue speaking, noticing that it was staring right back at him.

“You know what’s funny? She came back wounded, tired and wore a serious expression... The most incredible thing was that her mind was weakened and chaotic,” said the abomination and with a serious look, he added. “By a mental strength similar to yours.”

There was seriousness on the abomination’s face and unlike before when it spoke calmly as if nothing mattered, this time it sounded too serious.

“Similar to mine? I think you’re getting confused,” Zack replied, letting out a dismissive smile.

“No, I’m not mistaken. I wasn’t talking about a psychic either. They hadn’t even appeared at that point. I’m talking about someone like you... What’s hidden behind that baby’s body,” said the abomination and observing seriously, he questioned. “What do you need to know about the Tower for?”

The question carried an obvious seriousness that showed a certain caution and, by the darkness of the eyes, revealed a hint of distrust.

Was he getting confused or... Had he gotten the comparison right?

The only being that was comparable to him was the brightest transcendental, and while she was much weaker and younger, it was the closest and most accurate comparison in relation to his current state.

Was it about the brightest transcendental? Zack had never asked the woman about how she ended up in captivity and didn’t want to delve too deeply out of respect.

It was true that saving her might prove useful in helping himself, but he would do it anyway and he wouldn’t leave someone he called as his equal in prison, let alone someone as young as the brightest transcendental was.

And greater than all, he would not let that woman continue to suffer in captivity and now, hearing that question and sensing the wariness, he smiled.

“I will release someone,” Zack replied and smiling as the boy’s mental strength emanated, he asked. “You want to stop me?”

Stop him... The single word emanated a tangible weight and a sense of coldness that he could barely contain.

This would not be similar to playing with the Great Monkey. This was a matter that was related to his people and he as the strongest transcendental of all, had duties and responsibilities.

Self-imposed at best, but responsibilities nonetheless, and one of them was to protect his people.

There were few natural transcendental like them and it was normal to protect the younger ones and the brightest transcendentalist was young.

Maybe not a teenager, but a young woman who was at her limit.

Zack would not stop and he would face whoever he had to face to free her... Such an idea could be understood by the babysitter and the abomination, who put on a serious expression and then sighed.

“There are thousands and thousands of prisoners. Some ancient and forgotten. Others are unknown and of great power,” replied the abomination and leaning back in the armchair, he added. “And I don’t need to stop you. The authorities will know you’re going after the Tower.”

He was honest with the idea that he didn’t have to do anything and that he was leaving it to the authorities.

The abomination recognized that he would not stop or be convinced and instead of futilely trying something; he preferred to leave the problem to others.

And Zack didn’t care.

Whether it was the abomination or any other ‘authority’ that wanted to stop him, he was going to confront it openly and release the brightest transcendental.

A being born of chaos would enjoy chaos, and the abomination was that kind of being.

“So if I’ve been helpful, can I borrow some extra drinks? I have some friends interested in trying something new. Of course, I’ll send you extra money for the order,” said the abomination, giving a bright smile again.

Zack stood up and wagged his finger, floating another bottle, and simply left the office on his own.

Behind him followed the babysitter with the baby stroller.

“Young master, your mother will be angry if she finds out you’ve been giving your bottles,” murmured the babysitter, somewhat worried.

“He deserves it. Besides, I like the idea of having extra money, and the jailer is one of my last worries,” replied Zack, heading back to the bar.

Zack had too much business to attend to and the primary among them was taking care of planning the attack on the tower and, more importantly... Talking to the brightest transcendental.

Not that he feared she was dangerous or anything of the sort, the truth was that woman seemed friendlier to inferior beings than he was.

However, it was time to find out how she ended up in that prison.

“Time to go,” Zack ordered the enhanced minions, and then, as he left, he suddenly saw a bright light in the front building.

Then a bullet approached at rapid speed to his forehead and when it was inches away, it turned into bubbles that burst as it touched his skin.

Zack raised his hand and from the building where the bullet came from, a figure broke through the wall, opening a hole, and floated out motionless.

It was a metallic, humanoid, male figure... A lifeless shell staring at him with those glowing spheres he would call eyes.

There was no mind, and it was one of the most aberrant beings in existence... A robot.

“A true aberration that has abandoned all hope,” Zack muttered, frowning in disgust and looking at the recording eyes he questioned. “Do you think you can escape me?”

He could feel it being watched from the other side, and Zack used his mental power to twist reality, forming a connection to the other side from where this metal aberration was controlled.

The robot was purely silver metal and had nothing human about it, but it was still transmitting and whoever was controlling it heard it and flailed about, wanting to escape.

It fired rockets from its fingers that turned into stones that fell to the ground and from its chest it released a laser that turned into smoke.

“A useless resistance,” Zack muttered, feeling some resistance as he connected to the other side and as he was about to move forward, the humanoid glowed.

“Young master...”

Before the babysitter could speak, the metal turned red and then an explosion was released, completely destroying the metal figure, but it didn’t extend an inch before retreating and being suppressed until it eventually disappeared.

Zack lowered his hand and let out a sneer filled with contempt.

“Are you all right, young master?” The babysitter asked as he shielded his real body.

The babysitter hadn’t come over to help him as he prioritized the real body, which was his biggest weakness, and Zack nodded at the babysitter’s decisiveness.

“Yeah. It was just kind of surprising. Metal shells don’t have mental waves and I couldn’t detect it,” Zack replied calmly.

Just because he couldn’t detect it didn’t mean he couldn’t avoid danger and more so now that the connection to the Astral Plane and, in turn, the Astral Realm was getting stronger.

A curious thing that happened every time he fought and grew more and more tired.

—A murderous and highly armed robot... He is a vigilante of the Order of Steel. That’s what they call the vigilante or vigilante group that controls the robots. They kill supervillains without regard for laws or consequences. —said the boy in a concerned voice.

The boy’s voice let on that if he had been on the receiving end of the attack, he would probably get hurt, and the only thought Zack had was that he needed to teach him more.

As for that mindless metal aberration?

“Add it to my list of trash to sweep up,” Zack replied, getting into the car.

There was a lot to take care of, and a metal carcass was not the priority.

1