Chapter 35: Reunion
126 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 35: Reunion

On the penultimate floor of the Society of Heroes there was a meeting room for the most important people in the city and Alix stood there, tense and straight, not knowing what to do.

Through the window, she could see the lights of the other buildings and the clouds surrounding the building, but in between the clouds was the city coming into view in a unique way.

A magnificent night view for the people sitting in this humble meeting room.

It was literally a humble room in decorations, as there was a round table and six chairs, five of which were occupied by different people.

The first was a man in a hairless suit with wrinkled white skin whose face had nothing to highlight except the friendly smile.

He was in his forties, and from the wrinkles and dark circles under his eyes, it was obvious that the job of governing the city was not an easy one.

Unfortunately, the Governor did not have too much power, despite being part of the government and the others present were more influential.

The second was the person who led the city’s Society of Heroes, the Code Red, Dark Sorceress Pamela.

No one cared she was young, or that she was currently wearing a shocking V-neckline dress that revealed much of her tanned skin. The woman was a magical nightmare.

Her hair was black and her eyes were just as black, as were the lipstick, the dress and the jewelry she wore... And it was obvious to Alix that she liked the color black.

Pretty and charming, the Sorceress who could become the next great superheroine of the city.

It was she who was in charge of the Blue City Heroes Society, quite a responsibility.

“I have little time. If possible, let’s get this matter over with quickly.”

The one who spoke was a man whose only human part was the right half, as all the other parts of the face and body were silver metallic color.

It was William, the Synthetic Doctor of the Laboratory, who was the third authority today.

Alix sat with her back to the City Sun, her master Nathaniel Arsenault, who occupied a chair because of his prestige and power.

For being tense, she received a look from the Prophet who smiled at her to calm her down, the other prestigious guest today.

“First, we will deal with the matter of the new supervillain who has controlled the underworld of the city,” said the Governor and observing those present, he projected images of Donovan the Nightmare. “Most of the Great Monkey’s business has fallen into his hands and he probably defeated the Great Hand.”

Most of the images of Donovan were of the man alone and Alix who had seen him realized that pictures with the purple eyes were missing.

“And his mother, I suppose,” Pamela said and, shrugging, pointed. “It was his mother who brought his organization into being.”

She seemed disinterested, but one could tell she was well informed.

Alix had recently learned that the Great Monkey had a mother who was a Code Black and the reason why the Great Monkey was considered someone so powerful and categorized as a Code Black.

The Great Monkey’s mother lacked the intelligence, and that was why the two were categorized as one.

Alix had been moved from her job of guarding the city by her master and had been training hard, so she had little idea of what had happened recently.

Both she and her master were preparing for the Prophet’s prophecy and so she paid attention, wanting to catch up and her master was the same way.

“I guess it’s about the being that was controlling him. I’ve already sent a report after I met him,” Nathaniel said calmly.

Earlier they had gone to see Donovan and after the auction, her master categorized the purple eyed being as an unknown threat and a Code Black.

The reason was the unknown presence coming from the purple eyes.

It wasn’t the color itself that was odd, but the intensity and brightness that even she kept remembering.

“Yes. He won. According to our information, it was the same day of the prophecy and the space wave,” said the Governor.

Alix watched him instantly, and it was the same with Melissa.

Prophet Melissa and her master, who seemed to be the only ones not totally focused on the subject of the new supervillain.

The Governor, instead of explaining, gave a signal to the Synthetic Doctor, who raised his finger and projected new images.

The projection was of a destroyed jungle and a huge hole in the earth several kilometers deep and long.

“At the location where the space wave came from, someone created a rift in space,” said the Synthetic Doctor and after hesitating, shook his head. “No, calling it a ‘rift’ is wrong. Someone opened a gap in reality itself and then closed it without leaving any damage.”

Alix had learned a lot since she had become a superheroine and understood that there were many oddities and dangers in this world.

Among the most dangerous beings were beings from other planes that opened rifts to enter and take over the world or inhabit the Earth, but the way the Synthetic Doctor described it was strange.

“Did someone get in?” Nathaniel asked with a unique seriousness in his voice.

The Prophet also focused and...

“No. Someone took something out,” the Synthetic Doctor replied and, shifting the images in the gigantic crater, he pointed. “The Great Monkey’s base had been there. When we arrived, it was empty. Nevertheless, that is where the Great Monkey lived. We found no sign of battle, no spatial deformations or bodies. No trace of a black code battle.”

A battle of two black codes was destructive and while it could be reduced using different means, such as warping space by creating a battlefield, there would still be some sign of destruction.

Instead of waiting for another question, the Synthetic Doctor projected a simulation following the traces of space and everyone watched as an enormous land mass rose from deep within the cave and then was swallowed by a rift that had formed.

“This is our simulation.”

The City Sun grew serious more focused on the subject and the Prophet frowned in obvious surprise.

What he was implying was not that the Great Monkey and his mother were defeated, but that sent through a rift and that someone managed to stop a Code Black like that was no simple matter.

Code Black threats meant they could destroy the world, but some Code Blacks needed months or years to accomplish this and others days or hours... Which meant there was a difference between them.

How big was the difference in this confrontation? To win without that much destruction meant there was a difference in capability.

“Do you think he will maintain the status quo?” Melissa asked and subtly hesitating, murmured. “Or does he have another objective?”

There was a status quo between the superheroes and supervillains and the underworld businesses... A balance that kept the city safe and prevented the destruction of the city while allowing some permanence to the underworld businesses.

In the Blue City, this balance between the two forces was more evident, and neither side liked to come into conflict.

The biggest reason the underworld ruler maintained a balance was because of the Last Defender who lived in the city and while there were occasional supervillains looking for trouble, the organizations didn’t want to anger that superheroine.

The authorities also didn’t want to cause too much havoc because the Great Monkey and his organization had a decent force, but now that there was another supervillain in control, no one knew if the balance between the two forces would hold.

“We don’t know their reasons. So far, they have been quiet and methodical. They haven’t shed too much blood except for a couple of clashes,” the Governor replied and then projecting reports on the surface of the table, he added. “They call it the Transcendental. Funny thing is, even the former minions of the Great Monkey fear him and have surrendered to him.”

Alix, even though she was standing next to her master, she watched as that man frowned and his body twitched subtly in surprise as he listened.

She too was tense as she heard the name she had heard from the voice and, observing the others, she noticed they had no reaction.

Did they just feel the ripple? Or did they also hear the voice? If it was the voice, then it made sense that they were not surprised, since the voice came from the place where the wave came from.

The wave and the voice were a presentation for the entire city and now the title was spreading through the streets.

However, her master’s reaction was overly similar to the reaction that day and that worried Alix.

“The defeat of the Great Monkey has been on the very day of the prophecy...” Melissa muttered and, tapping the table nervously, she added. “It’s too much of a coincidence.”

Could the Transcendental be related to the end of the world? The City Sun’s expression became even more tense and serious as he listened to Melissa.

Alix was sure her master had a greater understanding and knowledge than her or the others about that transcendental and she having such an idea held back.

This was no time for questions.

“Let me show you a video the Order of Steel sent us,” the Governor said.

“Now we are cooperating with illegal vigilantes?” Pamela questioned immediately, frowning with refusal.

The Order of Steel were illegal vigilantes and although it was unknown who they were or how they were organized, Alix knew they were dangerous.

“No. We did not cooperate, and the government does not agree with their methods. However, at this time we need information and they gave it,” replied the Governor, then started another projection.

It was a video from a person’s eyes and Alix watched as the metal hands moved to the rifle and pointed out a window to the street in front of a bar.

After a few minutes, Donovan the Nightmare wearing a purple suit came out, while behind him were several men and women with distorted faces.

Metallic hands pulled the trigger, and the bullet flew through the air as the camera zoomed in to visualize the impact, but the impact did not happen.

The bullet turned into bubbles and Donovan raised his head, looking directly at the shooter... At them.

Feeling the purple eyes again, Alix tensed and went into an instant defensive state and for seconds, she felt like the eyes were looking directly at her.

Donovan... No, the one called Transcendental reached up and drew the robot in and the next thing they saw was a childish attempt at release in the face of overwhelming power.

The robot launched missiles that turned into rocks and unleashed a laser beam that went up in smoke.

Nothing worked and it eventually self-destructed.

“According to the Order of Steel, the Transcendental was trying to locate them... They have no explanation how, but it probably did it by some psychic means,” said the Governor and then, taking the report, he detailed. “The robot had a nuclear battery, and the rockets were miniaturized nuclear warheads.”

Everyone’s expressions turned cold.

Alix was one of them, and she did so instantly.

The vigilantes, like the Order of Steel, didn’t care about civilians, or destruction, and they in order to achieve their goals were willing to do anything... Just like this time.

“The Order of Steel is known for its military technology. Their weapons include alien technology and they are not easy to defeat,” said the Synthetic Doctor and looking at the video, he questioned. “To what extent can he warp reality?”

There were multiple powers and supervillains in this world.

The Last Defender was extremely strong to an unimaginable extent and the City Sun could burn so brightly it could become a small sun.

In other cities were other superheroes or supervillains of great power.

The Dawn Gods, who differed in abilities, the Heavenlies or Demons and even among mortals, there were both superheroes and powerful supervillains.

Even the psychics who appeared only twenty years ago had the Traveler, who could use telekinesis hundreds of miles away.

However, among those who were more troublesome were those who could affect the world and even the entire universe.

Beings that stopped time, that bent reality, perception or changed the rules and even if it was very hidden, those beings had existed or continued to exist.

Warping reality meant changing reality itself and twisting it in such a way that less powerful people could not realize what was happening and not even stop it.

The Synthetic Doctor’s question was serious.

“We do not know correctly. However, it would not be unusual for it to be able to twist reality for several kilometers, or perhaps more,” the Governor replied and observing those present announced. “The Transcendental is a reality manipulator.”

Those who manipulated reality and had no limits could be terrifying, and some of them could create realities and totally change perception.

This was a true Code Black.

“Will the Last Defender intervene?” Nathaniel asked seriously.

The Last Defender had her title because she was the last defense of this planet and she could fight against everything, and Alix felt she could also fight against someone who manipulated reality.

That famous superheroine was the reason why many supervillains stayed hidden without causing trouble and for years, that woman created a reputation of being invincible.

“No. The government needs her in the White City. There is danger of another dimensional invasion,” the Governor replied.

“Another invasion?” Melissa murmured and fell silent at the Governor’s nod.

The White City. Capital of the federation and jewel of the planet... It was one of the hardest hit cities on the planet and also suffered the greatest attacks from supervillains or other phenomena.

If Alix was counting right, then this was the seventh dimensional invasion happening in the capital and it was obvious that they would require the presence of the Last Defender.

The last invasion was caused by monsters from an alternate timeline ruined by the war that caused the end of the planet and the monsters ended up coming to this planet.

Superheroes turned into atrocious and savage monsters... That woman repelled such a dangerous invasion, and it was no wonder the government wanted her back to protect the capital.

“The Investigator?” Nathaniel asked, observing the Synthetic Doctor.

“You know how he is. He won’t move unless absolutely necessary,” the Synthetic Doctor said and observing Nathaniel, he pointed. “You ask as if we need to fight against the Transcendental.”

Alix noticed how her master was silent and clenched his fist under the table, but she watched Melissa, whose expression was solemn.

“His presentation happened on the same day I saw the prophecy,” Melissa said and.

“The end of the world may or may not be caused by this transcendental. Austin mentioned you were bothering him again, looking at him constantly,” interrupted the Synthetic Doctor in a flat voice.

So the Investigator ratted them out? Alix remained silent and took pity on Melissa, who was lowering her head for a second.

“However, I saw the end of the world on the same day the Transcendental defeated the Great Monkey. This can’t be a coincidence,” Melissa said without backing down.

“Your ability is amazing and has saved us many times,” Sorceress Pamela said and smiling softly at her, she added. “But it has also gotten us into trouble.”

What was the difference between a being that could save the world or destroy it?

Both had overwhelming power and both could be the salvation or the threat, and it was obvious that Pamela was pointing to the lack of accuracy of Melissa’s prophecies.

Melissa herself mentioned she saw possibilities and was not entirely accurate, but now it was noticeable that the prophecy she saw carried greater weight.

“Still... If we are wrong and let it stand, it may become a danger that the Last Defender cannot contain,” Melissa said without backing down.

“And if we fight it, we may trigger the end of the world that you so seek to prevent,” the Synthetic Doctor said and looking at Melissa, he stated. “That’s the kind of ability you have.”

There wasn’t much difference between someone who could save the world to one who could destroy it, and since the prophecies were not accurate, one wrong move could be heinous.

What if the end of the world didn’t begin until they sought conflict?

As much as Melissa wanted to deny it, the possibility was present and Alix simply sighed as she watched the woman’s expression falter before looking up again, this time with a determined expression.

“This end of the world is the most certain I’ve seen in a long time. I can’t just stand by and do nothing,” Melissa said earnestly.

Melissa was the youngest person among the meeting members and she was tenacious in her decisions.... Although some would say stubborn was a better description.

“We’d better stop now,” interrupted the Governor as he saw that the Synthetic Doctor was about to respond and observing those present, he asked. “How about we take a break?”

The discussion was becoming heated and the Governor, instead of letting the discussion continue, intervened and the others nodded.

Alix noticed her master was also serious and somewhat tense, and he was another reason why the Governor wanted to stop the meeting.

“Think carefully about what we should do,” the Governor said before giving a smile for them to leave.

Alix followed her master, who got up without another word and chased after the man in a hurry.

She was thankful she wasn’t part of that table and, if she was honest, both the Synthetic Doctor and Melissa were right.

What happened if they attacked the wrong person? Or what happened if they didn’t attack the right person? Both cases were disastrous and the consequences unimaginable.

It would be great to find out what the Transcendental wanted and then arrange with him to keep the balance, but blindly trusting a supervillain was a terrible idea.

In the end, the lack of decisiveness could lead them to ruin.

Alix hurried her steps as she saw her master entering a room and noticing the man going for the bottle of wine, she hurried to stop him and overtaking him, took the glass.

“Master, you said you wanted to give up drinking,” Alix said and frowned as she saw the man’s cold expression.

Her master was not one to show such expressions, but the yellow eyes this time were shining and the man was frowning as if lost in memories.

It was only when he heard it that he put the bottle down and let out a sigh, only to sit down on the sofa.

“I’m sorry. I’m showing you an undesirable attitude,” Nathaniel said, trying to regain his composure.

Her master had a more solemn expression than the time the voice sounded and Alix, after squirming hesitating what to say, decided.

“Is it because of the Transcendental?” Alix asked in a serious tone.

Melissa saw a possibility of the end of the world, but just as she had said before, she could also see the possibility of salvation and there were many of that kind of individual who could help.

The Last Defender was the best known because she was the one who took part the most in events, such as meteorites or battles. However, the planet and the various cities had many defenders and superheroes.

Her master was one of them and Alix was confident that he could fight even against someone who manipulated reality.

However, the way the man moved his hands opening and closing his fist made her doubt.

“It’s a long story,” Nathaniel muttered, giving a half smile.

“We have time, master,” Alix replied and observing the man, shrugged and explained. “It’s likely the others are talking amongst themselves.”

It wouldn’t be uncommon for the others to be ganging up on each other, one trying to convince the others to go along with what they wanted.

Melissa seemed like a woman who would not give up easily and now that she set her sights on the Transcendental, she would no doubt force her way.

So they had time.

Her master watched her and then, meeting her gaze, rubbed his face before sitting up straight again.

“I told you before that a Code White can be a threat and end up being a Code Black, right?” Nathaniel asked and when she nodded, he detailed. “What I didn’t tell you is that I learned that the hard way.”

******

Zack looked at the sealed space where the brighter transcendental was and this time used his mental strength to scan, looking to detect what was on the other side.

It was impossible, but instead of getting discouraged, he turned to look at the brightest transcendental of all.

The woman’s figure was light blue and this time unlike the previous one, she had eyes and a mouth taking on characteristics of the lower beings.

Perhaps because he was in his infant white form with human characteristics, it didn’t feel so wrong for her to have characteristics as well.

“Do you really want to know?” the woman asked.

Zack, upon entering, had asked her the question of how she ended up in this world and how she ended up locked up and had let the woman take her time to make up her mind if to tell him.

“Yes. There are many reasons. Curiosity is one of them, but I would also like to know the story,” Zack said, and noticing how she was biting her lips, he added. “Don’t worry, I’ll rescue you, no matter what you’ve done.”

He was honest.

He was not the purest being of all and had murdered many inferior beings during his existence.

However, he could not leave the woman locked up while her essence was stolen to be sold and create children, so he wanted to free her and would do so with little thought.

“It will be dangerous. I heard from the girl that the authorities know about you and are deciding whether to contain you, let you be, or negotiate with you,” the woman said and seeing that he didn’t flinch, she added. “There is also an end of the world prophecy.”

Prophecy? Zack, at the thought of the idea and of the one who had been looking at him, let out a snort.

“If you’re referring to that perverted peeping tom, then you needn’t worry. She’s a time-favored child who doesn’t understand what she’s capable of,” Zack replied calmly.

He still remembered how that pervert showed up at the mall after spying on him all morning and, to Zack, it was annoying.

If it wasn’t for the jailer getting rid of her, he would have put her through an afternoon of nightmares.

Was his response full of calm and confidence? The woman gave a small amused smile before controlling her expression and hiding it.

“For such a little guy you think you’re pretty powerful,” the woman murmured and seeing him frown, she asked. “Why do you want to help me? We don’t know each other and we don’t owe each other anything.”

Zack controlled his frown and then spoke openly.

“I’m helping a being like me. A young woman who got into trouble and is in a difficult situation. As the most powerful transcendental of all, I have an obligation to help the young,” Zack replied seriously and shrugging his shoulders, he added. “And because if I save you, then you can help me break this prison of flesh and be free.”

The woman didn’t understand what he meant by responsibilities and it was obvious she wouldn’t understand when she was so young.

A transcendental young woman who had become an adult not too long ago and got involved with inferior beings and ended up imprisoned in this universe.

Zack wasn’t the first time he had seen this kind of situation and it probably wouldn’t be the last... His people had a tendency to explore and while he had gone through that stage with no problems, he had his own altercations and adventures.

Though this was the worst situation he had found himself in his entire existence and even though he was a prisoner, he was still strong, strong enough to free her.

“You make it sound like you would free me, even if I don’t help you,” the woman murmured.

Zack didn’t respond and simply shrugged without denying that he would do so.

The brighter transcendental revealed a smile and then moved closer before sitting down on the floor to be at the same eye level as him.

“My brilliant story in this world and me being locked up started twenty years ago... The very day I arrived in this world, I ended up being locked up,” the woman said in a serious tone.

Zack sat back and settled in, ready to hear the arrival and, in turn, the lockdown of the most brilliant transcendental of all.

1