Chapter 20: The importance of a mission
361 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The three were before the quest board again, this time looking at the F quests. Failing to find one, they looked at the E ones.

"Why are there no F quests?" Leander whined as they were reading the ten or so E quests.

"I hear that the Huergaz sewer is the only place that gets F quests recently. What with the slime mining," Dorian mused. His eyes caught a promising quest. "Look at this one: cleaning duty."

The other two turned to look at him with raised eyebrows.

"Now, listen to me. The pay is as good as a C rank quest. We just need to muck some stables. What is the worst that could happen?" Leander snorted at that.

"Rashes on our skin from all the horse dung?" He suggested, and Morris snorted.

"For real now," Dorian continued on, not amused. "You are still banged up. They just cleared you to exercise again. But, not to train with us. Cleaning the stables is the only thing we can do."

Leander looked at his feet. Once again, he was holding his friends back. However, they needed to do their quota before the month was up. Besides, not ending up banged after a mission would be a pleasant experience. He just had to make sure to bring face masks and then leave his uniform out to air out before washing it.

"Stables, we are coming," Morris said, fist pumped high. They walked to the front desk and the half-orc snorted at them.

"I told you the rats were at least B rank. Why did you even go?" They all shifted in place, and the half-orc waved a finger at them. "I better not hear another C rank mission from the three of you."

"We are here for the E rank stable mucking quest," Dorian said, and the half-orc nodded in approval.

"It is good that you three don't think such a mission beneath you. The community stables are an important part of Huergaz's transportation system. You don't think this mission is beneath you, do you?" The half-orc glared, and all three smiled nervously.

"We are too beat up for anything else," Morris managed to say, and the half-orc glared at them.

"No one wants this mission. You adventurers are all the same. Thinking that you are above hard, honest work. Usually, I take most of the cleaning missions after closing hours. Just because I am retired doesn't mean I can't do my part for this city," the three shared a look. They hadn't known the receptionist's background. Or, even, his name.

"Mister..." Began Leander, but he came up with a blank when he tried to remember the half-orc's name.

"Baleg. Honestly, it is on my name plate," there was indeed a name plate on the front pocket of the half-orc's uniform. But it didn't fit his demeanor.

Baleg wishes you a good adventure!

It sounded cringe worthy, and the three had always thought that it was the guild's motto. Or, something along these lines.

"What rank were you before you retired, Mister Baleg?" Leander continued, curious for once.

"SS," was the answer, and all three gaped openly. Really, S and above didn't retire. They died as a result of an epic quest. Taking out whatever wounded them severely with them.

"And, what class?" Dorian managed to croak; his voice full of disbelief.

"What is this generation's fascination with classes and ranks? I multi-classed. I was a mage and a healer and a rogue. I partied with a tank who was also an archer. And we kicked more ass than a five-member party of today!" Morris looked at Leander, who looked at Dorian, who looked at Morris. They each pointed a finger.

"You should become a mage and a rogue, Leander," Morris said, excited about the prospect that they could be a three-man team for their entire career.

"Dorian, archery is a noble calling," Leander said in a sweet tone, trying to butter the tank up.

"A second tank wouldn't hurt, Morris. You have the build for it," Dorian looked hopeful at Morris, who blinked.

"Where am I going to put a shield?" Morris pointed at his giant axe, that was taking up his entire back. "This thing is for dual wielding."

"I don't know if I can throw fireballs around. Or, pick locks," Leander was also trying to wiggle out of it.

"Well, how am I going to shoot with a bow and hold a shield at the same time?" Dorian too was not very keen on the idea.

They heard laughter and then Baleg looked at them, disappointed.

"You are thinking wrong, kids. The healer should be the archer. He needs to stay behind barriers for most of the fight, anyway. The berserker, the rogue. And he should just focus on the dirty tricks and picking locks. Although, I think that a bit of dagger training won't go amiss. For when he loses his axe because it got slippery with blood.  And you, tank, would be dead useful if you can make a fire wall with one hand and bash the cretins with the shield."

The party members blinked. Now that Baleg had worded it like that, it sounded by far more practical. And, that would get their party all rounded up.

"Would you teach Morris and me?" Dorian bowed his head in respect. They would need to find someone to teach Leander archery. Maybe Greg would be free?

"Do I look like I have time for that? Go to the official instructors!" Snapped Baleg and he gave them the quest license. The quest was marked with red letters, meaning it should be done the same day.

The three walked to the community stables and were given shovels by the relieved stable boy.

Why he couldn't muck the stables was beyond the three. But, not for long. Because, an hour into their mucking, the dung raised from the pile they had made to be transported out and blinked at them.

The newly created dung golem took off running, leaving dung on the walkway. Which was the only clean place in the entire stable.

"Son of a slime!" Screamed Morris, and the three took off running after the golem. Determined to bash it with their shovels until it was a lifeless pile again.

19