Chapter 31: Golem nest
278 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Florifel made a rock barrier between a raging golem and Damian, who was engaged with two other golems. None of them could understand how the dungeon had enough mana to make a swarm of golems.

After a two-hour break, they had gone down the hall. The first golem had been easy. A simple mud one and dealt with by Lilia with a single spell. But, then, the mud had risen again. Splitting into two new golems, which hardened into clay.

That was the moment all twelve members of the platoon knew they were in deep trouble. Monsters that evolved into other monsters after a defeat were mini-bosses. And, the first mud golem had been followed by thirty others.

So, they hacked and slashed, but, their backs were to the wall. Trying to keep the golems off Leander. A single hit from a golem, which had evolved from clay to stone, after Percival had shattered it, had managed to get past the defenders and had hit Leander's barrier. It had a gaping hole in it, and it took all of Leander's concentration to maneuver the hole away from the golem, so it could hit a sturdy place next.

Not that it had managed, as both Morris and Dorian had charged at it. With Morris doing a leap and smashing his axe on the golem's head, splitting it in half, and Dorian bashing its spine with the shield.

That had been the wrong thing to do, it seems. Seeing as now, that golem was made of steel and no matter how much they bashed at it, they couldn't even dent it.

Alektos bent, so that the fist of a mud golem could sail over his head, and then he looked around. There had to be something keeping the golems evolving. A power generator of some sort.

Taking one look at the surrounding fighting, he sprinted to the edge of the chamber.

Nothing glowed over there. He cursed and sprinted to the other edge, but, again, there was nothing. Could it be that the power generator was in the walls?

"Are there any mana sensors among you?" Yelled Alektos. No one answered, so, he shouted again. Louder.

"Me! I am a mana sensor," Morris placed his foot to the right and used the momentum of his movement to cut off the arm of a stone golem. It turned to steel before his eyes, but that didn't matter because it was down on the ground.

"Search for a power generator," commanded Alektos, and he went back into the fray. Alektos took point before Leander, with Nestor by his side, as Leander let loose an arrow barrage after an arrow barrage, which served to dawn the golems for a minute and was the reason behind them not being swarmed.

Percival and Damian took point around Morris, and Dorian went to protect the girls with Aros and Sorecal. Morris closed his eyes and began to feel up the surrounding mana waves.

He could feel everyone from the platoon and all the golems. There was something like a chain connecting to each golem, but the chains went into different directions.

"Florifel, to me," Morris shouted, and he took off running in the direction of one of the mana chains. Florifel sprinted to him, and they stood before a wall.

"Melt the rock. There is a power generator behind it," Florifel nodded and placed her hand over the wall. The stone turned brittle and fell to the floor. Instead of a power generator, there was a pipe in there.

Morris gripped his axe tighter and then made a couple of steps back. He did a running charge and brought it down on the pipe. Blue mana sipped out of it and a golem fell. Morris closed his eyes and searched for a bigger chain.

There was something hiding in the darkness that he could feel. Something big. With at least ten times the mana of the golems that were trying to swarm them.

"There is a boss mob hiding in the shadows," Morris shouted and, as one, everyone shuddered.

"Is it a golem?" Aros shouted back. If it was a golem, they needed all their tanks to block its strikes. So, getting rid of all the golems that were currently swarming them was a must.

"I have no idea. But it has a lot of mana," Morris shouted, and he motioned for Florifel to follow him to a different pipe. Making sure he didn't pull the boss mob.

The earth mage and the berserker moved from pipe to pipe, with the golems falling to the ground. However, they both heard a yell and turned back to see Lilia on the ground. With blood pooling under her stomach.

"Lilia!" Florifel made to go to her fallen partner, but Morris stopped her.

"They'll get her to Leander. If we don't crush all the pipes, the boss mob will use the rest of the golems to crush us," Florifel gave her friend one last look and they both went to the last cluster of pipes.

They were close to where the boss mob was, and they were both uneasy. If they pulled the boss mob, so far, away from the others, it could do a single bull charge with which to separate them and, then, it could take them out one by one.

Florifel placed her hand over the stone, just as they heard the sound of footsteps. It didn't sound like the stomping of a golem. Which made the earth mage even more uneasy.

Morris brought his axe down on the pipes just as a silhouette came out of the shadows. It was a human, wrapped in shadows.

"Borik?" Florifel asked as the berserker charged at her. He was met with Morris's axe.

"Borik, what are you doing? We are allies!" Morris shouted, but Borik, one of the A rank berserkers of the Firebolts, just growled. His eyes were pitched black, and his mana circulation was erratic.

"Find the mana generator," Morris brought his axe down of Borik's two-handed sword as Florifel ran pass them and into the darkness. Morris's hands were straining under the power of Borik's push. And he was soon off his feet and flying backwards after Borik did a swinging motion.

Instead of falling on the stone floor and cracking his skull open, Morris was levitated safely down. That was done with Leander's fourth spell slot. Morris closed his eyes at the implication that Leander would have to forego having a barrier for the next room. To save it for the final boss.

Still, he stood and charged Borik with the rest. Not knowing what had happened to Florifel, until she gave out a pained scream just as they were entering the darkness.

19