Chapter 49: Try hard for the obsidian rhino
192 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baleg waved over the Try Hard Party, just as they were heading to the quest board.

"No one wants this quest, so, I hoped you would have a bit of pity on the poor thing," Baleg spoke cryptically.

"Does this involve cleaning?" Jean asked, not buying the puppy eyes the half-orc was hitting them with.

"One might say yes, one might also say you won't mind," Baleg continued with the cryptic speech. He handed them a license and began to write down their party's name in the quest log. "Armaros will come with you. It would be a good learning experience."

"Wait, Baleg, we don't even know what the quest is about!" Leander protested. Were they going to muck a pig farm with dung golems, or, worse?

"Obsidian Rhino breeding program? Aren't those extinct?" Dorian was reading further. Apparently, there were just two of them. But, they were in no mood to mate. With the female snubbing the male.

"Poor Patrick's horn is not big enough to impress Patricia," Baleg began, faking tears. "It is heartbreaking. If you get the two to dance the tango, you will be paid fifty gold coins per person and have a hundred quest slots filled. Just think of the downtime that comes after," Baleg made to write again, but Morris slammed his hand on the desk.

"Really? You want us to pimp a pimple riddled rhino to the Prom Queen rhino? What, should we put make-up on Patrick? Tell him to shake his ass in a way that makes his horn look more enticing?" Morris heard a couple of chuckles from behind him, and it dawned on him what he had just said. "I mean..."

"Species die out every day," Baleg began, now looking serious. "You have the chance to stop the obsidian rhino, the most iconic animal of Alcandino, from becoming just a picture on our national crest. Now, man up!"

"Did that speech work with the other parties?" Jean asked, a slight smirk on his face. Baleg's shoulders slummed.

"No. But you four are different. How did your motto go? We leave no one behind, no quest undone. Were you lying?" The four sighed. He got them there.

"Just one thing, Baleg. Is it true that obsidian rhinos can understand human speech?" Dorian had always wondered. He had thought that it was pure propaganda on the government's part to make them appear the land with the smartest animal.

"It is the pure truth. Just as it is true that they can write, if you put a paintbrush between their teeth," the four gaped openly.

"They must have been mobs, at some point," Morris murmured.

"Was the entire savanna dungeon grounds, Baleg? I mean, they used to migrate from one end to the other," Leander added. Now curious.

"I will give a bloody seminar on them, if you take the quest. Otherwise, you will never know," Baleg threatened. His pen touched the paper again.

"Ok, go ahead. Sign us up," Dorian finally gave up. His curiosity was getting the better of him. They could take Atha and Bog with them, as, sometimes, they had trouble sleeping. Even though Armaros had left Fluffs in their room. Which seemed to calm them down a bit.

"You won't regret it," Baleg promised, and the four went searching for Armaros.

"This must be the weirdest quest I have ever taken," Jean complained. His partners were softies. There was no denying that.

"But, is it the best paid?" Morris wiggled his eyebrows and Jean poked his tongue at him.

"No. I will have you know that cleaning a lake from piranhas was the best paid. A whole two-hundred gold coins per person," Jean had done that quest by himself. A job more to test his arrow barrage than because he was deemed worthy of it. And, the piranhas had been in desperate need of killing. What with them being so many, no one dared to enter the lake.

"Well, we are slowly getting there," Morris said, looking impressed. "One day, the Try Hard Party will be as well-known as the Firebolts."

"Let us hope it doesn't end up like my former party," Jean's expression darkened. He knew that there was a dose of hero worship around him still. But he hadn't expected that his partners felt it.

It was so easy to relax around them. They were like a breath of fresh air. However, there were days like this one when they would try to fill in Borik or Andors's shoes.

Jean did not want that from them. He wanted them to know he valued them for their own prowess, and they didn't need to compete with the two berserkers.

"Hey, Armaros, we have a special quest for you!" Leander called when he saw the raven haired boy. Armaros jogged to them. Covered in sweat and enveloped in a barrier that was full of cracks. Happy as can be.

"I get a quest before the final test?" He looked ecstatic at the prospect. With the money, he could take out his friends, Atha and Bog, to a dinner.

"Well, you are in luck. Because...we have to force two rhinos to mate," Leander thought about sugar coating it, at first. But then decided against it.

"We will help make babies?" Armaros practically had stars in his eyes. All four members of the Try Hard Party blinked at him.

"You don't find it weird?" Dorian asked, Armaros shook his head.

"What better quest can there be? I mean, we are going to help make small, cute, mini versions of grown-ups. And all I need is a drop of blood," all four shifted uncomfortably at that.

"No, Armaros. What we need to do is talk them into having...sex," Armaros blinked at Leander's words.

"But, if you haven't done it before, how do you get others to do it?" Leander was ready to sink in the ground from shame.

"Lemon cake, are you a virgin?" Jean knew it must have been hard for Leander to find a bed partner, what with his weight, but, surely, he had been successful?

"None of your business!" Leander turned around and marched back to the entrance of the guild hall. Jean saw that Morris and Dorian had a dreamy look on their faces. Huh, perverts.

10