Chapter 91: Do or do not, there is no try.
95 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bog had made the barrier stone, with all its intricate runes. But, goblins were great craftsman. If they had been a bit better in nature, they would have earned their meals the honest way.

Atha took in a deep breath. Kraedor was next to him, "guarding" the farm. Bog was sitting on a pillow and sending the Ice Priest nervous looks. And the vampire, Norrix, was sitting on the porch, looking out at the field.

"Well, here goes," Atha took the barrier stone in his hands, and began pouring a small trickle of mana. Too much, and his soul would be pulled in. Too little, and the mana won't take hold. He had to be consistent with this, or he would fail.

No one spoke as he filled up the stone and the runes began to shine. He found that, after the first ten minutes, his mind went into a meditative state, and he felt himself relax.

Norrix was looking at Atha intently. When the Naga had told him he was going to attempt doing something mages sometimes, most of the time, to be truthful, failed at, Norrix had tried to talk him out of it.

But then Atha had told him that he didn't want to see anyone suffer. If a barrier bought a farm, or a creature in the wild, time for adventurers or the army to come to the rescue, then he would happily take the risk of splitting his soul.

Atha had argued that he would not try again, if he failed. That Leander was fine with half of his soul residing in the hourglass and feeling no pain.

The barrier pulsed, showing it was ready, and Bog poked Atha's tail. The tail twitched, and the Naga blinked.

"Oh, I did it," he said, as if dazed. Then, he gently set the stone down and stretched. "Now, for the next one."

Atha reached out for the next stone in the pile. Leander had not argued that these barriers had to be distributed for less than the market price.

The Naga had wanted to give them all out for free, but platoon 23 had none of that. Atha needed his own money, Morris had argued. Because there was no telling when his protectors could die and leave him to fend for himself. The farm going back to the guild and the protection deal ending without grants.

So, Atha had bowed his head and agreed to sell for no more than one gold coin per day. He worked the entire day, going through his meditation state of mind faster and faster with each stone.

"Son, when did you become a mage? Did I teach you? I can't make barrier stones. I am proud you can," Kraedor spoke when Atha was done. Atha smiled softly at him.

There were times like this when Kraedor would say something like that, and it made Atha warm inside. Then, Atha would remember with bitter sadness that the priest would not remember his own words, and he would do his best not to forget them. For the both of them.

"You taught me how to circulate mana better," Atha reminded him. It was during one of Kraedor's bigger time periods of remembering. A whole of two minutes. And it had been enough for the priest to show him how to sync his mana to his heartbeat.

"Well, it is a father's duty to teach his son," Kraedor then looked at Bog and waved his arms threateningly.

"Off with you, goblin! Or..." Kraedor blinked, and Atha knew he must have forgotten again. Bog bowed his head. It was bittersweet to watch Kraedor being so nice to Atha, and so mean to him.

"Bog is your battle companion," Atha blurted out. He needed to mend their relationship. "Right, Bog?"

Kraedor had just raised his arms to wave them, when he heard that.

"And, what does he do, exactly?" Kraedor was not convinced.

"I make runes. I don't have mana, sir," Kraedor finally saw the barrier stones which were in stacked in crates around them.

"Who did all that? This must be an entire fortune!" The priest exclaimed.

"I did, father. Bog helped. And you guarded us while we worked," Atha informed him. In truth, Kraedor had stared out into the forest because there was a sign stuck near the farm saying:

Kraedor, please keep watch on the forest against animated mushrooms. The goblin is friendly.

"Oh, what a competent son I have! And a loyal battle companion, too. But, when did I get a battle companion? And, why a goblin?" Atha helped Kraedor stand up. It was time for him to wait for Valerie and Arthur to pick him up.

"Son, why do you send me to that retirement home?" Kraedor suddenly asked. Atha blinked.

"What retirement home?" Did Kraedor meant Valerie and Arthur? Could his brain be getting better? Valerie was giving the priest healing sessions. Atha had been told that the old memories would forever be lost, and he will forever black out. But, could Valerie have done something to fix Kraedor's brain?

"Don't send me to the retirement home, son. I am just thirty-eight. I don't know why I am retired when I am this young, but I want to spend my days in here, not in my room. Not only that, but I think... I keep forgetting things," Atha smiled brightly. Kraedor was beginning to realize that he was missing something. He could get better. They had to trust in Valerie.

"I will fix you up the room next to mine," it was a nice, but plain room, with big windows. Atha kept it clean, helping the leprechauns to clean the house every so often. The only thing he would need to do is put new bed covers on the bed and start the fire in the fireplace.

"I don't take much space, or eat too much food," Kraedor began to assure him, and Atha teared up. He did not want for the old man who considered him to be a son to think himself a burden.

Then, mid-sentence, Kraedor began to look around. His eyes turned to Atha, and some confusion cleared.

"Father, your room will be ready in a few minutes. You don't have to go back to your healer anymore. You can live with me and your battle companion, Bog," Atha pointed at the goblin, who waved.

"I know who Bog is, why do you have to tell me? And, it was about time I came home. I will be fine in no time, I swear," Norrix shook his head.

The Ice Priest was either feeling down or too confident by far. But, he liked the old man and felt that what the beautiful Naga was doing for him, pretending to be his son and all, was nice.

The vampire wondered why the Naga was avoiding him, despite them living in the same house. Norrix felt hungry. The Try Hard Party were on a quest and with them, Norrix's food source, the guild master.

Perhaps the Naga would take pity on him and give him some blood? But, first, they needed to talk this distance between them through and end it.

6